• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
is something with multiple scaling always going to be better? So in other words, is a weapon with, say, B str D dex gonna be better always (on a str character) than a weapon with just B str? or is it somehow distributing things in some weird way.

scales better with the B stat so yes if it was B for strength then itll scale better with strength

If the base damage is a lot lower, having extra D dex scaling will not make up for it.

He's asking if weapons that scale with two stats are better than weapons that scale with one stat. I'd like to know as well.

So if two weapons have same base damages but one has D Dex in addition to B str... is it better?

Jobbs

Banned
It's a very minor spoiler but
I noticed he was gone when I returned to that Wharf area. Good luck with the next boss! It wasn't too bad...

Agreed 100%

I don't understand why the rings have durability now, though. Does that ever even come into play? I am guessing some super powerful rings have low durability to balance it out.

If a ring breaks, be prepared to break the damn bank. one time I exploded in some environment things that broke most my gear, broke 3 rings, cost like 40,000 to fix them

SJRB

Gold Member
One thing does annoy me that seems to have been changed. The rate at which your weapons degrade is pretty insane. It feels like it's 1 point in durability every 2 hits which goes SO fast in some areas (depending on how many enemies are there). It doesn't even really add to the difficulty so much as just makes it more annoying (imo).

I never understood weapon degradation in the first place, it feels like an artificial way to make things more difficult than they really are. I mean, what's the point?

Captain Failure

Neo Member
After taking me 9 hours to kill the first boss I just blazed through 3 bosses in 2 hours. Playing online seems to help a lot. Finding tons of loot I would have missed the if it weren't for the hints.

Agreed 100%

I don't understand why the rings have durability now, though. Does that ever even come into play? I am guessing some super powerful rings have low durability to balance it out.

Seems pretty cool to me. Possible way to circumvent overpowered rings is using Acid attacks to break their rings. Which is REALLY cool in my opinion

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
He's asking if weapons that scale with two stats are better than weapons that scale with one stat. I'd like to know as well.

So if two weapons have same base damages but one has D Dex in addition to B str... is it better?

doubt it would give you bonus damage from both stats but i could be wrong

SGRemy

My original bow had A in dex. My new bow has B in dex and C (maybe D) in strength. The first gives me +155 dmg. The second +121. I guess it depends on your stats but I would say 2 is better than 1

2AdEPT

Anyone know why I can't be summoned? Try leaving a summon sign and it says that I can't at this time. I can't use the soap sign anymore too.
I was human for all of this.
Dont join the champion covenant unless you know what you are doing...totally banished me ffrom summons just when i wanted to get more souls to help others before the giant boss, and now I missed the NPC summon as well. Back to the blue one even if there arenot many invaders yet.
When I used mine in the area you talk about (
below the ballista room
), it gave me a hint to find something cool :
fake wall on the left of the stone face with treasures inside

I only used one stone so far, and it worked at first try, so I didn't know they could sometimes NOT show something useful. Considering the price, it's a shame.

ooops! I was going to pay one more visit just to be sure!!!! lol

I never understood weapon degradation in the first place, it feels like an artificial way to make things more difficult than they really are. I mean, what's the point?

Agreed. It is always just an annoyance in any game that has them. In MMOs, it's a way to take money out of the economy mostly (and a way to punish you for dying), but in a singleplayer game, it's just not needed. It certainly isn't a fun mechanic.

ironcreed

Banned
Poise is listed twice on the profile. Once for the stat (probably 3.0) and another time under defense (probably 50). I'm not sure how they relate mathematically, but they aren't the same value.

It said POISE 3.0 and now it says POISE 50.0 in the same spot on the bottom of my profile after I put the ring on. *shrugs*

doubt it would give you bonus damage from both stats but i could be wrong

Yes. If a weapon has A scaling in two stats, it would technically be better than one that had a single A scaling, as long as you have the stats to back it up of course.

On the flip side those weapons might have a lower base damage. And also I doubt we know when scaling starts to fall off/if a single stat super high is better than 2 stats at a decent level.

Having 1000 GS'd Dark Souls, I started my first playthrough of Demons Souls a few weeks ago. One of the things that immediately struck me as starkly inferior to its successor is the requirement that you return to the hub world every time you wish to level up. I remember thinking what a huge improvement it was that you could level at any bonfire in Dark Souls. Imagine my aghast disappointment upon reading the Edge review then, that you have to return to the hub in order to spend your souls spec'ing in DS2. It completely breaks the sense of a continual, cohesive pilgrimage, that great sense of uninterrupted player narration that the first half of Dark Souls had.

Having to continually go back in order to go forward, all via a cold loading screen, is such a step down for the series. Being able to warp between bonfires off the bat seems to me a poor decision but at least you could have played the game without using it if you chose to. Only having one levelling spot forces your hand sans a SL1 playthrough.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
god fuck ass
this Ruin Sentinel fight and the shit right before is fucking horseshit

fuck god fuck

you can kill the trash mobs before the boss 10 times and theyll be gone for good also if you need help that boss is weak to magic so you can get the npc to help you hes a sorc or just bring in a magic damage person to help

Zeliard

You mean a weapon with B STR versus one with B STR and D DEX, and identical base damages for both?

The latter would give you a bit better damage on hit because you are adding that extra small DEX bonus, but you have to also look at other factors like the moveset (both 1H and 2H), the weight, the stamina cost, and how it works with your other weapon if you are dual wielding. All of these are often more important factors than attack rating.

Ferrio

Banned
Agreed. It is always just an annoyance in any game that has them. In MMOs, it's a way to take money out of the economy mostly (and a way to punish you for dying), but in a singleplayer game, it's just not needed. It certainly isn't a fun mechanic.

To me it seems to be a risk vs reward thing, not a difficulty increase. Do you equip something fragile but powerful or something reliable but not.

How many
Pharros contraptions
are there? I've used two so far (one to get a chest with an awesome ring and one in the
shipyard area to make a huge light shine.

Anyone really deep into the game yet?

I think I've gotten pretty far but now I'm lost and I can't seem to find help.

There are definitely some people in here super far, and I'm sure you could peek in the spoiler thread and PM some of those guys who already beat the game with early copies.

The first time I fought those 3 robot dude in bastile. Luckily as a phantom, as those 3 will surely send my ass back to bonfire if I wasn't.

Gonna try tower of flames first, then go back with a vengeance at those 3.

Halberd is so brittle ugh. Cannot wait to get a better weapon replacement.

Craftsman hammer is a good weapon. Nice moveset, tight quick wide swing. Gonna try that if I get tired of halberd.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
One thing does annoy me that seems to have been changed. The rate at which your weapons degrade is pretty insane. It feels like it's 1 point in durability every 2 hits which goes SO fast in some areas (depending on how many enemies are there). It doesn't even really add to the difficulty so much as just makes it more annoying (imo).

As a former DaS katana user I haven't noticed all that much although I do have to switch weapons every now and again.

It's no System Shock 2 when it comes to weapon degradation...

Gorillaz

How many
Pharros contraptions
are there? I've used two so far (one to get a chest with an awesome ring and one in the

I'm so glad I used one of them there at the SY. It literally made the walk through the place easier to get through

Shaffield

you can kill the trash mobs before the boss 10 times and theyll be gone for good also if you need help that boss is weak to magic so you can get the npc to help you hes a sorc or just bring in a magic damage person to help

woah dang i had no idea. ive gone through there at least 7 or 8 times already so i'll knock out a couple more spaws lol

How many
Pharros contraptions

Don't worry too much about them.

edit:
I misread and thought you meant the item. I say open them when you see them

Jobbs

Banned
Fuck... Do I fight the white knight in the forest of the giants??? He's just chillin minding his own business :(

Item descriptions seemed to suggest he's some kind of

220px-Marty_McFly.jpg

Agreed. I really, really hope that they rethink the rate of durability in the game sooner rather than later.

Hmmm I think I still have a question (second blacksmith)

how can I buy/ reinforce my weapons? I can only talk to him. I already lit the flame.

While I am not entirely sure, but based off his dialogue it sounds like he wants you to bring him a flame ember (like what was in OG Dark Souls) where that is, is anyone's guess at this point

Floex

Using a torch, do you run out of these? I can't seem to fire figure out why I can't light anymore and could only come to the conclusion I had run out of torches.

Jeramii

Banned
Using a torch, do you run out of these? I can't seem to fire figure out why I can't light anymore and could only come to the conclusion I had run out of torches.

each torch gives you 5 minutes... so if you have 4 torches you have 20 minutes.

the timer stops if you climb down ladders/put it away/whatever... when it runs out, you gotta find a new one. they are randomly all over the place. I've found 3 or 4 so far within the first few hours of very in depth exploring.

Argh...just booted up the game (on 360) for the evening, helped one person with a boss fight and then got a message that the server was unavailable and the game was switching to offline mode.

Tried restarting but it looks like the service is officially down. I'm going to be a bit upset if it's an all-night thing again.

Con_Smith

Banned
I'm so glad I used one of them there at the SY. It literally made the walk through the place easier to get through

You mean no mans wharf or is there another SY in the game? I got a PS and if it will make that area a bit easier to get through I'll use it and farm souls for another. Also do you get anything for killing that thing protecting the flame sword in FotG or is it just there to kill you for trying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom