• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck respawn limits.

In the first area, there's a jump I'm trying to make for an item. Normally, this would be a personal challenge; I can't quite get it right, but I'm so close I can taste it. Unfortunately, I'm afraid to despawn the whole area before this jump, so I'm actually going to give up for now. Just casting a cloud over everything I do.

Also, does anyone know how to compare new equipment to my currently equipped stuff? I can't seem to figure out how to tell how much dmg scaling adds on weapons since it only shows base until you equip it. I also want to buy armor but can't compare it to what I have without backing out and memorizing my individual pieces' stats.

I thought the respawn was based on how many times you killed an individual enemy, because in one area with the various stone giant soldiers, I killed one of them many more times than the others, and it was the first to stop spawning.

Also, about comparing equipped items versus items intended for purchase, not sure how to do that. It boggles my mind that it isn't like Dark Souls 1 where you can just see a red or blue value comparing how an item stacks up to your equipped items.

Am I supposed to become human when I help people beat a boss?

Also, how does the blue defender covenant work? I just can't get summoned in that manner :/ I have 22 of those coop tokens, they good for anything outside of the arena?

ironcreed

Banned
The framerate on PS3 clearly goes above 30 and stays there in certain areas. I just arrived at The Lost Bastille and here is a perfect example of this.

More questions!

What's the difference between the small and normal sized white soap stone?

Is it possible to regain humanity by helping in co-op, or do you only get more health back?

Flexile Sentry down. Not so bad.

Easiest boss so far. That indestructable central pillar really trivialized the fight. He and
Dragonrider
are the only two bosses I haven't died to so far. That level, though...is there a second bonfire in No-Man's Wharf? And what was it about that level that made all my weapons suddenly break? They were fine for the whole game up until that point. Did a certain enemy have weapon degradation abilities?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The framerate on PS3 clearly goes above 30 and stays there in certain areas. I just arrived at The Lost Bastille and here is a perfect example of this.

Where the game dips heavy at the moment its Majula IMO the rest feels fine for most of the part.

Jobbs

Banned
5 counting the hole and training area.
Go back towards the training area but not into the cave, you're likely missing one.

Found a sixth.
Retrieve the miracles merchant from the area after the dragonrider, above him, and she'll show up in the sewers that led to the tower back from firelink. pay her money and she'll move the path and it leads to huntsman's corpse.

Brohan

He's only a one-time thing unfortunately. I just found him on my playthrough, but I'm gonna wait until much later to talk to him so I can sell a lot of extra gear.

Wow that sucks big time, since i didn't buy
Giants ring
:(.
Hè won't despawn if you don't talk to him?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I thought the respawn was based on how many times you killed an individual enemy, because in one area with the various stone giant soldiers, I killed one of them many more times than the others, and it was the first to stop spawning.

Also, about comparing equipped items versus items intended for purchase, not sure how to do that. It boggles my mind that it isn't like Dark Souls 1 where you can just see a red or blue value comparing how an item stacks up to your equipped items.
Yeah it is on an individual basis. I still don't want to leave an entire half of an area barren. Just breaks my heart.

And yeah I'm really starting to think they didn't add this functionality. How do you miss a core UI detail?

Fbh

I really don't know if I should go for a STR build or a DEX build.

In the 2 previous games I went with Dex. I like fast weapons like Katanas and Lances. But I've allways wanted to try out a character with one of those badass big swords (Zweihander or otherwise).

I just feel the roll is a bit weird in this game. Like there is some delay between the attack animation and roll animation. So I don't know if going for mobility is going to be as good in DS2 as it was in DS1.

Any advice from people further in the game. Is there more variety of STR focused weapons or DEX?

Sadly, most of the areas seem to run at something like 25-30.

I really wish they would give the option to disable Vsync. I would use that option in certain areas.

It's kind of stupid they turned it on on ps3 and off on 360. Why not give the player a choice?

ironcreed

Banned
Ugh, The
white knight
in The Lost Bastille is clearly much stronger than his friend from earlier, lol. On a side note... I love this area.

LProtag

Beat the
Dragonrider
(somewhat early boss) on my second attempt!

Pretty pumped. Using a sword and shield for now and it's working pretty well.

What do these letter grades on items like B and C mean?

I'm not sure of the math, but depending on the grade(S, A, B, C, etc) are weapon modifiers for the attribute its applied to.

So if you have a C modifier on a sword for the Strength stat, it will take your Strength stat and it will apply to the power of the weapon. Higher the grade the better.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, its been awhile since I delved into the Souls stats stuff.

Edit: Beaten

dalVlatko

Lost Bastille:
So has anyone managed to beat the Sentinels without summoning? It seems like it would be impossible.

Once you have to fight two of them at once there are so little opportunities to attack. I think I'm going to check out the Tower of Flame before giving it another shot.

The Lamp

From what I know I think it's how much a attack bonus you get from a specific stat.

You know if it has a B with dex and E with str you will do more damage with a dex build

Meaning the weapon will do more damage if I have a higher dexterity Stat?

Also what's up with torches? I keep finding them but when I look in my inventory and equipment I can't find them or equip them.

What do these letter grades on items like B and C mean?

The bonus damage you get from your stats on top of the base damage of a weapon. For example, if a weapon has an A scaling in STR and D in DEX, that means it gets a big boost from your strength stat, a small boost from your dexterity stat, and no boost at all from your intelligence and faith stats. It's a good idea to use weapons that scale well with the stats you're focussing on (though it's not necessarily guaranteed to give the best damage, for example sometimes a weapon with bad scaling but high base damage can do more damage overall).

EDIT:

If you have a higher dexterity stat, be on the lookout for weapons with good DEX scaling, like most rapiers, daggers and curved swords.

koryuken

I really don't know if I should go for a STR build or a DEX build.

In the 2 previous games I went with Dex. I like fast weapons like Katanas and Lances. But I've allways wanted to try out a character with one of those badass big swords (Zweihander or otherwise).

I just feel the roll is a bit weird in this game. Like there is some delay between the attack animation and roll animation. So I don't know if going for mobility is going to be as good in DS2 as it was in DS1.

Any advice from people further in the game. Is there more variety of STR focused weapons or DEX?

It seems like they really tried to balance all play styles this time around. In DS I played a very fast Dex/Pyro and my 2nd char was an INT caster with Moonlight Sword/Giants armor/Dark magic :) I am going to go STR this time since the roll speed is the same for everyone up to 70% equip burden. However, if you want to play a fast character, bump your ADP to 20 ASAP, and then bump it to 30 later in the game. (you can be a fast moving character with any build this time around)

The bonus damage you get from your stats on top of the base damage of a weapon. For example, if a weapon has an A scaling in STR and D in DEX, that means it gets a big boost from your strength stat, a small boost from your dexterity stat, and no boost at all from your intelligence and faith stats. It's a good idea to use weapons that scale well with the stats you're focussing on (though it's not necessarily guaranteed to give the best damage, for example sometimes a weapon with bad scaling but high base damage can do more damage overall).

Base damage seems to be a much bigger deal in this game, since they nerfed scaling bonuses when compared to DS1.

Game is pretty awesome so far. Feels like a mix between demon and dark. I just finished
The Last Giant
and although I thought he was really easy, I got my butt kicked on my way to him... I have a few questions though as I get ready to conquer.

1. Where can I find and/or buy a bow?

2. I am a Knight and I was wondering how I dual wield. I have two of the same sword and I press triangle but nothing happens... It worked on my swordsman for the hour that I played with him.

3. Where is the best place to go after
The Last Giant

4. For those who have progressed, is every place as freaking huge as
The Forest of Fallen Giants
?

Right now, I would hold this in between demon's and dark with the latter being my favorite. Hope it keeps on improving!

NeoUltima

Fuck this certain boss. Wtf do I do when I run out of effegies? Since killing others' bosses doesn't restore your humanity for some stupid reason :(

PvP!!!

I am in the sparring arena section, this is so much fun! I am destroying everyone. I only lost once cause of my own stupidity. I dont have any super weapons or anything but I do have magic and and swords so it messes everyone up. Last fight was over in 30 seconds I didnt even get touched. Some of these maps are sweet too!

Also what's up with torches? I keep finding them but when I look in my inventory and equipment I can't find them or equip them.
The way the game handles torches is a bit funky.

You will always have only one torch, but each subsequent torch you find will add another five minutes to the total burn time. In order to use one, it's as simple as walking up to a bonfire, pressing triangle or y, and lighting the torch.

koryuken

Fuck this certain boss. Wtf do I do when I run out of effegies? Since killing others' bosses doesn't restore your humanity for some stupid reason :(

Do a few rounds of jolly cooperation. After a few kills you should go back to human (thats the word on the street).

Exr

What soul level are you guys when you're fighting the Sentinels? I'm at 35 and still getting one shotted.

NeoUltima

Lost Bastille:
So has anyone managed to beat the Sentinels without summoning? It seems like it would be impossible.

Once you have to fight two of them at once there are so little opportunities to attack. I think I'm going to check out the Tower of Flame before giving it another shot.
I beat that one solo. Just have to patient. The next boss is the one being a pain :(

Do a few rounds of jolly cooperation. After a few kills you should go back to human (thats the word on the street).

Ah...darn that could take awhile. But at least there is a way, thanks.

2. I am a Knight and I was wondering how I dual wield. I have two of the same sword and I press triangle but nothing happens... It worked on my swordsman for the hour that I played with him.

You need 1.5 times the strength and dexterity requirements of the weapons (for example if you're using swords with 10/15 and 20/5 requirements respectively, you need 30 strength and 22.5 (23) dexterity).

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Anyone else feel like this game is just going through the paces? It lacks something.... It feels more like a clone/wannabe, rather than an actual "Souls" game.

Okay, how do you get the item that is:

in the forest area that is off from the hub town, you fight the guys by the stream, theres a bonfire, then you can climb up the ladder to a big circular area with a bunch of enemies and an archer sniping you. If you go outside from there there is another ladder, and across the way you see an item that ends up being on a ledge that's basically above the bonfire, how do I get over there?

Side note, who is that white armor guy and why can't i talk to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom