• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you on PS3, looks like there will be 3 hours of downtime tonight. I was looking at Namco Bandai's support site for information on the 360 outage and saw this:

DARK SOULS II - SERVER MAINTENANCE NOTICE

Dark Souls II server for PS3 will be switched off for a short maintenance during the following time frame because of the PSN server maintenance:

March 13th 3:00pm - 6:00pm JST

March 13th 8:00am - 11:00pm GMT

March 13th 2:00am - 5:00am EDT

March 12th 11:00pm - March 13th 2:00am PDT

Please delay any in-game activities requiring network and multiplayer support until the end of the maintenance.

Namco Bandai Customer support

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Lost Bastille:
So has anyone managed to beat the Sentinels without summoning? It seems like it would be impossible.

Yes. Kill the first one up on the ledge. When the second guy jumps up, wail on him to about half health. When the third guy arrives, jump down and run to a corner of the room. The key is to keep them together, almost in a straight line. If they get close, run to the other corner. Target the second guy only and take him first. Third guy will be a breeze.

MechaX

If it makes your run any easier
you can dash past the little flame-fearing monsters if you have your torch out and they won't try to stop you
. But yeah, that area was something else.

Yeah, I need to figure out how those work.
Burnt through my torch just getting through the pirate guys.

Wow!
Dragonrider is the only boss you have beaten? That's pretty impressive for your first boss, didn't go there until later. Enjoyed the Wharf myself, it was a cool area, but YMMV. Anyways, you will want to go back to Majula and then instead of going back to Things Betwixt go down a hill that you can see from the bonfire near the lady. It can be easy to miss. That will take you to the Forest of Giants which is a MUCH MUCH more sane starting place with a couple of easier bosses. Afterwards you can return to the Wharf.

Wait,
Dragonrider isn't supposed to be the first boss? Well now I feel silly. Time to go to this Forest of Giants.

Wow, this thread moves fast.

Started as a Sorcerer, I'm currently at level 24 with enough souls to power up to 28. I'm wondering if I should just focus on INT, level up in Faith or should I balance out with something physical?

I usually like to use a bow, and currently running around with the dagger to finish off enemies when they're low on health but I doubt that'll help me much longer. besides that, I was wondering if I should level up my SRT and DEX so I can roll around with a shield to protect me.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!

Wait,
Dragonrider isn't supposed to be the first boss? Well now I feel silly. Time to go to this Forest of Giants.

He was my first boss, too. xD Accidentally stumbled upon that boss as a somewhat low level Sorcerer... It kicked my ass a few times to say the least. x_x

Wow, this thread moves fast.

Started as a Sorcerer, I'm currently at level 24 with enough souls to power up to 28. I'm wondering if I should just focus on INT, level up in Faith or should I balance out with something physical?

I usually like to use a bow, and currently running around with the dagger to finish off enemies when they're low on health but I doubt that'll help me much longer. besides that, I was wondering if I should level up my SRT and DEX so I can roll around with a shield to protect me.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!

I wish I could help, but I'm not the best one to ask probably. I'm a Sorcerer main, but I leveled up my Strength and Dex enough to use certain swords (the Flame one you can get early one is great) and shields. I feel too naked without a shield on (even if I'm not actively using it). lol Since then, I've been spreading my points into Vigor, INT, Attunement (can use 3 spells now), Adaptability, and Stamina. I've never been someone who makes the perfect build in Souls games, though. I stick points wherever I think might benefit me down the road. xD

FaintDeftone

Wow!
Dragonrider is the only boss you have beaten? That's pretty impressive for your first boss, didn't go there until later. Enjoyed the Wharf myself, it was a cool area, but YMMV. Anyways, you will want to go back to Majula and then instead of going back to Things Betwixt go down a hill that you can see from the bonfire near the lady. It can be easy to miss. That will take you to the Forest of Giants which is a MUCH MUCH more sane starting place with a couple of easier bosses. Afterwards you can return to the Wharf.

Dragonrider
was my first boss too. I killed him in my 2nd attempt. I actually thought he was suppose to be the first boss...

I was hella stupid for burning the human effigy on the bonfire. Now, I can't summon anyone on the battlefield. Bone of Order didn't restore the link to other worlds. Honestly, I don't know when its effect expire.

Brohan

The key for me was
Staying up top and waiting for #2 to jump up, could usually #2 down to 1/2 then jump off the ledge to the floor as #3 is jumping up. #2 followed and I could kill it before #3 noticed.

Soul lvl, weapon and your dmg? Don't think id Come close to do enough dmg to pull that off.

So I just got destroyed by the
Pursuer in the Forest of Fallen Giants.
Is there another boss I should be fighting first, or another path I should be taking? Is it real Dark Souls time already?

tookhster

Is there another boss I should be fighting first, or another path I should be taking? Is it real Dark Souls time already?

Go to Mujala and down the cave next to the cat. Try that area and beat the bosses there, then go kick the Pursuer's ass.

Mana Sin

Wow. ENB's latest video blew my mind. I had no idea there was
a place you could drop down in Majula for a free morning star, cleric's bell and the binoculars, which let you aim spells.

Brohan

Is there a magic catalyst early? Like, before the first boss of lost bastille?

There is one very early in the forest of Giants, you know where the guy is sitting that gives you the White soapstone, pate i think. If you walk past the gate that closes behind your back, there will be a secret room in the tunnel part. Open by pressing x or a

ElFly

There is one very early in the forest of Giants, you know where the guy is sitting that gives you the White soapstone, pate i think. If you walk past the gate that closes behind your back, there will be a secret room in the tunnel part. Open by pressing x or a

Thanks.

Will go check it after some jolly cooperation.

Jobbs

Banned
+4 mace with 18 strength is pretty freaking gnarly. strike damage seems to be generally superior to slash, and it has that B scaling. say goodbye to faces.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This game is destroying me. I've just spent literally three hours in Forest of Fallen Giants and have accomplished next to nothing. Three hours!

Is this your first souls game? If so don't fret. The fundamentals of dodging, blocking, and baiting attacks can be applied to the whole game. It's like reading, the more you do it, the faster you get.

You can go another path but didn't think that boss was terribly bad. Can't afford to get hit though.

georly

I just
Rang a bell
while being invaded. What did that do? I
heard some noises
, but don't know what it did.

joe2187

Banned
I was like, are these guys throwing bottles of water at me? come on bro's step your game up...

*lights torch*

tumblr_mj0lqzUXFP1r72oo1o1_250.gif

Jobbs

Banned

if you have a decent shield and decent endurance (say 15 give or take) he's pretty easy, just study his moves, stay near him, try to avoid his swings but keep the shield up just in case one of the combo clips you. hit him 1 or 2 times between his things (if you dig in too much you could get hit). stay patient and he'll drop. I soloed him the first time I beat him, but if you need help just go human and summon some duders. there's always a ton of signs there.

I still don't understand why after being summoned and being a boss you will most of the time not regain your humanity. Is it random? Does it have to do with dealing the most damage?

What does the little grey icon with what looks like a shell next to a persons name do? Does it mean they have a mic?

LProtag

Anyone else feel like they're too high of a level right now?

I'm approaching somewhere near 60 already and I'm just headed towards
No Man's Wharf
. I'm juggling so much trying to keep my HP and endurance high, my adaptability high enough to have quick animations, my endurance load high enough to carry the things I want and keep fast roll, and my STR/DEX high enough to equip the stuff I want. Trying to use greatswords right now.

okay so I'm a Knight, and so far I've only put points into Strength (up to 15 now). What other stats should I focus on if I want to be a cool bruiser who will probably wield some giant swords and maces and possibly shields? I think I may do some faith as well (never did that before in a souls game)

Which stats are important for a STR/possible FAITH build?

if you have a decent shield and decent endurance (say 15 give or take) he's pretty easy, just study his moves, stay near him, try to avoid his swings but keep the shield up just in case one of the combo clips you. hit him 1 or 2 times between his things (if you dig in too much you could get hit). stay patient and he'll drop. I soloed him the first time I beat him, but if you need help just go human and summon some duders. there's always a ton of signs there.

Or
just parry in front of an arrow, he gets stunned just go to the arrow and shoot him a few times.

I feel like I'm humming along nicely so far. Killed a bunch of bosses, and my Sorcerer is now pretty sweet. Got a Falchion as my weapon, but mostly I'm slangin' spells at mofos. My Adapt is up high enough that I can roll pretty well.

Been summoning all the time, been a lot of fun.

Akai XIII

I still don't understand why after being summoned and being a boss you will most of the time not regain your humanity. Is it random? Does it have to do with dealing the most damage?

What does the little grey icon with what looks like a shell next to a persons name do? Does it mean they have a mic?
Could it be you have to reverse the hollowing process? For each time you died you have to be summoned the same amount of times...?

Beats

Played for a couple of hours so far and I'm liking it quite a bit, but the UI is bugging me a lot. The layout of the stats/equipment/inventory menus and the way information is displayed in them is worse compared to Dark Souls and it feels like I have to press select on almost everything on the equipment menu to know what those numbers do.

Loving the game but it does feel a little easier (which honestly I'm ok with). No undead soldiers littering you with firebombs from above as you first make your way through the Undead Burg. And warping really smoothes things out.

Maybe completing 2 Souls games twice helps me know what's coming???

AJLma

What's with the little diseased pigs in Majula, and why are they have so much health?

They're what's making the noise that the cartographer refers to when he says he "heard some things" inside the mansion. I think he put them there to scare the player away from his titanite chest upstairs in the mansion, with the creepy growling and scratching sounds they make.

Jobbs

Banned
Where can I get titanite shards? In DS1, I just bought em. But, it appears the blacksmith only carries 5 for the whole game.

I've noted one of the funny ironies in DS2 is that there seem to be an abundance of random inventory items, consumable and otherwise, I'm always picking up something new -- and yet titanite is fucking rare as fuck and I've never updated a weapon passed +5 yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom