• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Could it be you have to reverse the hollowing process? For each time you died you have to be summoned the same amount of times...?
I thought that might be it, but I only died once and I've now done that boss fight about 5-6 times in a row and still hollow. That would be a smarter way to do it, like if you beat a boss you even gain your 10% back.

Could it be you have to reverse the hollowing process? For each time you died you have to be summoned the same amount of times...?
No, I'm at the lowest level of Hollowing (essentially the closest to human) and I didn't turn human after several summonings. If this actually happens it has to be completely random.

Okay gotta share what just happened. Spent over THREE HOURS wandering around Forest of Fallen Giants. Died so many times enemies weren't even coming back anymore. Feeling pretty lame reading about all the bosses everyone is fighting, all the success everyone is having. Ready to give up for the night, sort of pissed off about the whole thing.

FINALLY I make some progress, and unlock the shortcut. FINALLY I get the stats to equip my stupid bastard sword which I know is probably a terrible weapon, but it's all I'd been focusing on for the past hour. I take the elevator down and everything is pointing to a boss fight. And there was one:
Last Giant?
or something like that.

Anyway I've died so many times I'm at half health and have been forever. So I figure this will be a funny way to end my night. I'll probably die in one hit and turn the PS3 off for the day. INSTEAD I KICKED THAT GUY'S ASS ON THE FIRST TRY. With one sliver of health left. So happy!

As I went back up the elevator, with a stupid grin on my face, I looked at my dude, so proud of what I've done. His face looks so goofy and stupid, but at the same time so badass. Look at this CHAMPION:

apgcWYn.jpg

Suddenly the last three hours feel like so much FUN, instead of frustrating.

shinn623

So I just got destroyed by the
Pursuer in the Forest of Fallen Giants.
Is there another boss I should be fighting first, or another path I should be taking? Is it real Dark Souls time already?

Found that boss to be really easy after dying the first time. I found a pattern/rule to follow to kill him easily. Strategy is to
try and force the boss into doing the rush attack, and roll to the rightonce to dodge, and hit twice then back off and entice to rush attack again and dodge and so forth.
Didn't even get it once, I was underpowered though and it took ton of hits to kill the boss.

Akai XIII

I thought that might be it, but I only died once and I've now done that boss fight about 5-6 times in a row and still hollow. That would be a smarter way to do it, like if you beat a boss you even gain your 10% back.
Which soapstone are you using? The small or normal? Maybe that makes a difference.

georly

So i keep helping people and my humanity keeps not being restored. Is it because of the bosses i'm choosing to help people on?

I think i'm doing all optional bosses
the 3 knight guys, the guy on the boat, the 5 gargoyles
. The one time i helped someone beat a mandatory boss
the guy in the prison
(you can tell it's mandatory because you get a cutscene), I *LEFT* (using the separation stone) because he didnt enter the boss room, he was just sitting there, i got my humanity restored. So what the hell. Is that it? The boss you choose to help w/?

Aeana

Wow. ENB's latest video blew my mind. I had no idea there was
a place you could drop down in Majula for a free morning star, cleric's bell and the binoculars, which let you aim spells.
I.... had no idea that's what the binoculars were for. omg.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Dat Pursuer. Pretty badass boss.

Minor Spoilers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-6JG2Xd0u8

Loving the game but it does feel a little easier (which honestly I'm ok with). No undead soldiers littering you with firebombs from above as you first make your way through the Undead Burg. And warping really smoothes things out.

Maybe completing 2 Souls games twice helps me know what's coming???

Death penalty is definitely what makes it feel different but even then yes overall it has been a little easier. Less obtuse, a bit more linear. Still a good feeling of exploration. I'm sure there will be some balls-to-the-wall hard bosses.

Gorillaz

Speaking of Majula has anyone been able to connect the dots to what's going on inside the locked house and what was being asked? I got it but
I don't have a map and don't know what type of map he's talking about, and he makes it sound like there is something more to that house.

Part of me feels like it's tied to the end game of it all some how but I'm not sure

Okay gotta share what just happened. Spent over THREE HOURS wandering around Forest of Fallen Giants. Died so many times enemies weren't even coming back anymore. Feeling pretty lame reading about all the bosses everyone is fighting, all the success everyone is having. Ready to give up for the night, sort of pissed off about the whole thing.

FINALLY I make some progress, and unlock the shortcut. FINALLY I get the stats to equip my stupid bastard sword which I know is probably a terrible weapon, but it's all I'd been focusing on for the past hour. I take the elevator down and everything is pointing to a boss fight. And there was one:
Last Giant?
or something like that.

Anyway I've died so many times I'm at half health and have been forever. So I figure this will be a funny way to end my night. I'll probably die in one hit and turn the PS3 off for the day. INSTEAD I KICKED THAT GUY'S ASS ON THE FIRST TRY. With one sliver of health left. So happy!

As I went back up the elevator, with a stupid grin on my face, I looked at my dude, so proud of what I've done. His face looks so goofy and stupid, but at the same time so badass. Look at this CHAMPION:

apgcWYn.jpg

This is Dark Souls.

Jobbs

Banned
for my chestpiece I'm still wearing the beginner thing (not the class item, but the pre-class item) because nothing I've found looks cooler, and I choose items based on appearance first.

nova2.jpg

Apdiddy

Just started and I literally have no idea where to go, unlike the first Dark Souls or even Demon's Souls where it's spelled out that you are in the tutorial area and the real game will start once you are out of it. I have beaten Demon's/Dark Souls (although the Platinums are alluding me) so I should know how everything works at this point, it's just that the game doesn't do a very good job explaining what you need to do first.

Tried to fight the smiling hippo/ogre creature and died twice. Then found Majula and the shopkeeper sounds like the pyromancer guy from DS1.

I'll spend more time with this over the weekend, but I probably shouldn't have bought this so readily.

Stillmatic

Just picked it up, but won't get to play until later tonight thanks to my partner inviting us around to a friends to meet their new dog! What is this?!

Anyways...I have a Q, has anyone checked if this works with the DS4 on PS3? Please say it works.

Which soapstone are you using? The small or normal? Maybe that makes a difference.
Normal sized one. I just beat a boss while summoned and finally restored humanity. Either there's no rhyme/reason or it has to do with you level.

Meanwhile this stupid NPC has now walked off the pier twice causing me to have to reset the map each time. Oh brother.

Grinchy

Banned
Dual-wielding is so damn awesome. I was running around with 2 rapiers earlier. Awesome combination. Then I got my stats up and was doing rapier+falchion. The damage is so great and after 50 deaths you really learn to dodge all of the attacks.

I had a guy invade me earlier and he didn't stand a chance. He had no move that I coudln't dodge and I'd just immediately stab him right after. He resorted to throwing firebombs at me, which also didn't work. Then he even stood next to a big hole hoping I'd roll into it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
pZ7o9ga.gif

Only 48 hours left. I can do this. Also - I hate you all.

Always think positive. There are people who have to wait even longer.
I cant play it before Saturday, even though the game will be waiting for me at home since today, because I'm on holiday in another country.

Guys, hold tight. I know that on holiday feel, but try to enjoy it while it lasts and make sweet dreams of DS2 on the flight back.

In just under 22 hours it will unlock on EU PSN. I can taste it.

Just flicking through this thread to find other EU GAFfers holding on until the end, but I've glimpsed enough hints and location snippets already! I'll make one more post tomorrow before I start playing for real. Looking forward to chugging some Estus...

Calibus

As much as I hate to say it, I may be done with Dark Souls 2.

Can't get past Pursuer. I am out of effigies. Vendor is out of effigies. I am at 1/2 health and most of the enemies in the tower have stopped respawning. I am down to 3 Estus only. I honestly do not know what to do at this point.

Dresden

Started a cleric and the low ADP is really noticeable with a shield. Seeing the blow coming but the shield not being raised in time is a huge bummer.

Can't get past Pursuer. I am out of effigies. Vendor is out of effigies. I am at 1/2 health and most of the enemies in the tower have stopped respawning. I am down to 3 Estus only. I honestly do not know what to do at this point.

Co-op until you turn human. Use the souls you get from cooping to level up some stats or buy a good shield.

Throw down your white soapstone at the entrance. Get summoned almost instantly, fight with other people until you get your humanity back and learn in the process. That was such an easy battle with summons.

Mana Sin

Try co-op. Put your white sign down. You'll eventually wrack up a nice amount of souls and go back to human. You could use those souls to level some more, too.

Ive fought four bosses and the only one to kill me was the
Pursuer.
I find myself dying more to regular enemies honestly. Bosses have so far been easy.

Last Giant?
or something like that.

apgcWYn.jpg

nice story, lol. It happens a lot in the Souls games. xD

That picture reminds me... one thing I have never liked about the Souls games is how much of it you are normally spent in Hollow form. Maybe it's just me and I'm a terrible player (very likely), but 90% of Dark Souls and (so far) Dark Souls II, I have been at Maximum Hollow. I look ugly as fuck - what's the point in designing a decent looking character if you always look like some zombie-ish creature? lol. The humanity stuff always feels so rare when you are playing through the game the first time, so you (or maybe it's just me) never end up using them. I always keep them "just in case" I need them later. That's one thing I liked about Demon's Souls - your soul form (or whatever it's called) still looked like the character you made.

I recommend going to the
Tower of Flames or whatever it's called (the other way to go in the hub area) and getting the Ring of Binding. It reduces the health loss when you are a hollow (instead of 50% health, you have 80% health - very awesome ring). If you keep following the path and take lefts, you'll come to what looks like a dead end with an enemy on the platform. Kill the enemy which lets you use a lever to get to a chest that has the ring.

Dresden

Ive fought four bosses and the only one to kill me was the
Pursuer.
I find myself dying more to regular enemies honestly. Bosses have so far been easy.

I've killed about eight or so bosses and only one of them was even remotely memorable. :( It's the one thing that really sticks out at me as being lacking.

Mana Sin

For those who were talking about equipment durability earlier, there's
the Bracing Knuckle Ring that slows equipment degradation

Ourobolus

Banned
I still haven't been invaded. Weird.

The cracked red eye orbs let you invade others, right? How do you get more of them? Just finding them?

Jobbs

Banned
Started a cleric and the low ADP is really noticeable with a shield. Seeing the blow coming but the shield not being raised in time is a huge bummer.

hah, I started a cleric too! my cleric is already level 48, I did a lot of this just by chain dropping my sign and running bosses for people. have 20 tokens now, whatever they're for, who knows. and I've got my pew pew.

I got strength to 18, and other than that I've cranked up attunement to 4 slots and put the rest in endurance and faith. adaptation is nice but for me it wasn't the first priority, since you can beat enemies without it just by smartly anticipating when they're going to attack, and if anything's really tough, melt them.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Man I suck at this, and I'm surprised how much I suck at it. There's no halfway decent equipment anywhere unless you buy it, and I can't find the cling ring (or whatever its called here.) First Dark Souls was much easier to start with

SGRemy

Need some co op help.

I'm lvl 91. My friend is 85. We followed the normal DS rules to play together and nada. Reloaded our games. Repeatedly dropped our signs. Nothing.

Mana Sin

I still haven't been invaded. Weird.

The cracked red eye orbs let you invade others, right? How do you get more of them? Just finding them?

I've been invaded once, in the Forest of Fallen Giants long after killing the boss.

The
pigs in Majula
have a low drop rate for them. I checked the guide about it earlier, it's maybe
5%
?

AJLma

Aww man. I didn't think I could take him either at first.

3 Estus is enough really. Patience is the key to victory here.

He has 2 moves that are for sure safe to counter, that also end up being his most dangerous moves IMO.

1 - His dash where he lowers his sword, flies at you and swipes upwards. Roll to the right or backwards and then get 1-2 hits in.

2 - The 3 hit combo that ends with the diving slash. During the diving slash roll FORWARDS towards him and he'll swing right over you, get up and hit him once or twice.

Repeat.

If you're fast enough, he can pretty much be countered after every attack, his recovery time is very slow.

If you can, get a blunt weapon, or upgrade the one you have to +3.

Dyno

Boss Soul usage question:

Is the only thing the Last Giant soul good for the Giant Stone Axe from that vendor or can it get something else?

Thanks!

Dresden

hah, I started a cleric too! my cleric is already level 48, I did a lot of this just by chain dropping my sign and running bosses for people. have 20 tokens now, whatever they're for, who knows. and I've got my pew pew.

I got strength to 18, and other than that I've cranked up attunement to 4 slots and put the rest in endurance and faith. adaptation is nice but for me it wasn't the first priority, since you can beat enemies without it just by smartly anticipating when they're going to attack, and if anything's really tough, melt them.

I want to take faith really high, toss lightning, heal dudes. But no one stands next to me when I'm casting Heal since no one knows what it does. :(

ironcreed

Banned

I just beat his ass myself. If you
keep rolling right to dodge his patterns and then counter with only one or two shots before going back into stamina recover/guard mode, you will rarely even get hit.
A mace does good damage to him as well.

Anyone else find parry to be really weird?

Does having your shield up as you parry affect the timing? I'm wondering if it's better to attempt a parry with your shield down or shield up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom