• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral

Has anyone been through the Door of Pharros area? I've reached a fog door but there's a gap keeping me from getting to it. I'm afraid to try to jump it. Is it possible or is there another way to get to it?

ElFly

There is one very early in the forest of Giants, you know where the guy is sitting that gives you the White soapstone, pate i think. If you walk past the gate that closes behind your back, there will be a secret room in the tunnel part. Open by pressing x or a

Brooooo I can magic now.

Just so people know
in forest of the giants, after Pate part where the gate closes behind you, there's a tunnel with a stair. In the wall just before the stairs begins ascending

georly

Oh hey i'm dark souls. What can I do that is harder than
2 gargoyles?
Oh, I dunno, maybe
FIVE GARGOYLES WITH BOTH FIRE AND LIGHTNING AND TAIL ATTACKS

Ok, I just have to vent somewhere. I'm supremely disappointed with the performance of the game. Granted I haven't gotten that far yet, but the frame rate for me has been super choppy everywhere I've been so far (Hub Town, Forest of the Giants, the castle in the forest) Also, the camera feels super wonky to me, the acceleration feels really off. Even with the sensitivity turned all the way down, it goes from rotating too slow to rotating faster than I wanted, the sweet spot is really small it seems.

I started to think that maybe I was misremembering how Dark Souls actually played. It's been a while since I played it last. I know the frame rate wasn't great in Dark Souls. I know it dropped really bad in Blight Town and got kind of choppy in other areas of the game, but I didn't remember it being as bad as it is in DS2. I also didn't remember having the problems I'm having with the camera either.

So after playing DS2 for a couple of hours today I decide to put in DS to see how it compares. I played from the Undead Asylum until the gargoyle fight, and the frame rate was much better in DS than in DS2, plus I didn't have any of the problems with the camera either. It just felt so much better to me in terms of performance and controls. I put in Demons Souls and played through 1-1 and it was the same thing.

I've been looking forward to DS2 for months, I was so psyched to finally pick it up, but it feels like such a downgrade from DS. I don't mind the mechanics changes that they made to the game, but the frame rate and the camera is really getting in the way of me enjoying the game. I got the game digital on PS3, which is the same system I played DS on. Is anybody else having the same issues? Is the framerate a problem with the digital copy of the game?

I really want to like the game, but it performs even worse than DS! I may just have to wait until its out on PC =(

LProtag

As much as I hate to say it, I may be done with Dark Souls 2.

Can't get past Pursuer. I am out of effigies. Vendor is out of effigies. I am at 1/2 health and most of the enemies in the tower have stopped respawning. I am down to 3 Estus only. I honestly do not know what to do at this point.

It's optional, you know. You can take off and then come back later.

He was my first boss, too. xD Accidentally stumbled upon that boss as a somewhat low level Sorcerer... It kicked my ass a few times to say the least. x_x

I wish I could help, but I'm not the best one to ask probably. I'm a Sorcerer main, but I leveled up my Strength and Dex enough to use certain swords (the Flame one you can get early one is great) and shields. I feel too naked without a shield on (even if I'm not actively using it). lol Since then, I've been spreading my points into Vigor, INT, Attunement (can use 3 spells now), Adaptability, and Stamina. I've never been someone who makes the perfect build in Souls games, though. I stick points wherever I think might benefit me down the road. xD
Thanks, this is the first time I've ever gone with a sorcerer and it's making the game feel incredibly easy so far, XD. Guess I'll go with STR, I just picked up the flame sword you mentioned.

Jobbs

Banned
The one time I managed it, his hp went up, so I think that's the case! Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

and yeah, it's also my plan to take faith really high. str at 18 feels nice, I may or may not add more to it eventually, but for now I'm more concerned about faith/end/vig in that order.

early on I raised dex to 7 to use the morning star I found, and even though that's only 2 wasted points, it's been eating away at me like a thorn in my toe. wish I could take it back. morning star sucks and various mace/axe type weapons tend to not have a dex requirement above 5.

Well, after beating a boss while summoned you seem to gain back your estus flasks. Or at least 1 every successful fight

Jobbs

Banned
Is Swordsman a good starting class? Is dual wielding a viable option in the game?

yes and yes. it should be noted though that swordsman has higher "int" than other melee classes, meaning you are basically have "wasted" points in int unless you plan to use spell casting at some point. this isn't really that big a deal but it's worth noting.

if you plan to dabble in int and be a bit of a hybrid, maybe get some magic weapon type spells (I haven't personally seen magic weapon spell so far, but I'm sure it's in the game somewhere) and go hybrid, in which case swordsman would be great.

Dresden

and yeah, it's also my plan to take faith really high. str at 18 feels nice, I may or may not add more to it eventually, but for now I'm more concerned about faith/end/vig in that order.

early on I raised dex to 7 to use the morning star I found, and even though that's only 2 wasted points, it's been eating away at me like a thorn in my toe. wish I could take it back. morning star sucks and various mace/axe type weapons tend to not have a dex requirement above 5.

I got my dex to 9 or 10 (forget which) to use Heide's Knight Sword (the blade you get off the knight under the tree early on). Not sure how to make faith-scaling weapons in this game, so it'll have to do for now.

Is Swordsman a good starting class? Is dual wielding a viable option in the game?

You get a +1 weapons so its good starting class offensively in my opinion. But the lack of health and adaptability make you an easy target for death if you aren't patient or bad at dodging. Also, you get no power stance since your stats aren't good enough yet so you won't get the benefits. Overall, I'm enjoying the class and finding the high dex and str to be useful. It seems like one of those classes that will start out rough be buy late game you will be an offensive machine.

There is an S bow.
Hunter's Blackbow
Acquired from Drangleic Castle
9 STR (E), 25 DEX (S)
77 -> 155 physical
60 range value

That's your bow:
Short Bow
Acquired from Majula, Hollow Infantry (bow), Rogue (bow)
7 STR (D), 12 DEX (A)
65 -> 130 physical
45 range value

There are also bows with lightning damage, magic damage and scaling, str scaling, more reach but B scaling, more damage but less scaling etc

Where in Majula can I get the shortbow?

Found that boss to be really easy after dying the first time. I found a pattern/rule to follow to kill him easily. Strategy is to
try and force the boss into doing the rush attack, and roll to the rightonce to dodge, and hit twice then back off and entice to rush attack again and dodge and so forth.
Didn't even get it once, I was underpowered though and it took ton of hits to kill the boss.
So I went back there to give him another try.....and he doesn't reappear. What the deuce? Please tell me the boss didn't bug out on me...

Is anybody else having the same issues? Is the framerate a problem with the digital copy of the game?
It's probably just as bad on the disc version, which I have. It does perform much worse than Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. In addition to choppy framerate (hovers in the 20s 90% of the time), sometimes the sounds do not play on time so it's hard to know if I actually hit something. I've also had problems where it takes about 5-8 seconds for the start menu to come up in game, and then I have to wait another 5 seconds for the item pictures to appear. The game also has trouble loading dialog sometimes. Talking to the level-up lady in Majula, I had to wait about 30 seconds for the voice to kick in and the dialog to advance. Weirdly enough, my PS3's fans almost never kick in full force (I have an old model), so it's not like my PS3 is being pushed to the limit trying to load everything.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Finally got the game today. NO idea what class to start as. Went spellsword last time around in demons but want to focus on fast melee combat this time.
What should I do GAF?

Phatmac

Is invading just turned off? I've played 20+ hours and have never been invaded. I'm also wearing the guardian ring to help people being invaded and nothing has happened yet. What's going on?

Jobbs

Banned
I got my dex to 9 or 10 (forget which) to use Heide's Knight Sword (the blade you get off the knight under the tree early on). Not sure how to make faith-scaling weapons in this game, so it'll have to do for now.

I really need a divine weapon. I have no idea where to get them. I found a
cave full of perpetually reanimating skeletons, and based on my knowledge of the previous game, I need a divine weapon to kill them permanently. place is too hairy with them respawning all the time.

Sakura

I've killed about eight or so bosses and only one of them was even remotely memorable. :( It's the one thing that really sticks out at me as being lacking.

Yea. I'm not a masochist or anything, and I know I'm not that far, but so far of the 5 bosses I've beaten, I beat 4 on my first try without even taking a single hit (
Pursuer, 2 dragon brothers, Sentry
). The enemies before bosses are more challenging.

Calibus

Thanks all for the advice but I'm not sure where the
Tower of Flames is. There's a place in the hub city with a contraption that cannot move. Is that it? Also there's the petrified woman blocking a lever up near the arena. Both of which are blocked to me.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Reposting as the thread is moving too quickly.
wondering what starting classes or builds are working for people so far. Went for a spellsword last time I played demons and that worked pretty well, but I'd like to focus more on melee and maybe faith for my character this time.
Any recs guys?

okay so I'm a Knight, and so far I've only put points into Strength (up to 15 now). What other stats should I focus on if I want to be a cool bruiser who will probably wield some giant swords and maces and possibly shields? I think I may do some faith as well (never did that before in a souls game)

Which stats are important for a STR/possible FAITH build?

Anyone? Suggestions on which stats to focus on, especially what to aim for first would be awesome

Tower of Flames is. There's a place in the hub city with a contraption that cannot move. Is that it? Also there's the petrified woman blocking a lever up near the arena. Both of which are blocked to me.

Go down to the place with the contraption that doesn't move, ignore it. Keep going down further until you get to the water, there will be a lever you can pull in the room (to the left I believe) that will open the floodgates. Afterwards, you can go ahead to another area that will have a hallway to take you to the Heide's Tower.

Sakura

In between the cat house and the side path leading up, there is a path that leads down to a water way, go there.

Finally got the game today. NO idea what class to start as. Went spellsword last time around in demons but want to focus on fast melee combat this time.
What should I do GAF?

I Will get it in a few painful hours. T_T

Something that surprised me in Dark Souls 1 was how fun the "quality" build was. Thats no magic or miracles, stats channelled to having both high dex and high strength. I thought mixing in magic was more fun than just melee but the particular weapons you become good with when you have a quality build tend to be weapons that are really cool and different, like the Murakamo or dragonslayer greatbow. Give it some thought.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow so the D
ragonslayer
boss was pretty easy. I wish I didn't summon people because I definitely could have solo'd it. It seems like a good grind boss too, though I don't think it gives a lot of souls.

Jobbs

Banned
I think their approach with this game is sheer quantity of bosses, which is why some of them don't seem particularly special. there are *so many*.

Dresden

I really need a divine weapon. I have no idea where to get them. I found a
cave full of perpetually reanimating skeletons, and based on my knowledge of the previous game, I need a divine weapon to kill them permanently. place is too hairy with them respawning all the time.

I don't think we have divine weapons anymore? The sword I mentioned has lightning damage, but it specifically scales with faith now (whereas Fire damage scales with int and faith combined).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom