• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
So I went back there to give him another try.....and he doesn't reappear. What the deuce? Please tell me the boss didn't bug out on me...

you talking about
The Pursuer? He attacks you on that rooftop early on, if you leave or die you have to fight him somewhere else later. I didn't beat him on this first fight so I don't know what happens, my guess is he just leaves anyway if you are going to win.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I Will get it in a few painful hours. T_T

Something that surprised me in Dark Souls 1 was how fun the "quality" build was. Thats no magic or miracles, stats channelled to having both high dex and high strength. I thought mixing in magic was more fun than just melee but the particular weapons you become good with when you have a quality build tend to be weapons that are really cool and different, like the Murakamo or dragonslayer greatbow. Give it some thought.

So start with knight/warrior perhaps and pump everything into STR/DEX? I've never used a bow in a souls game, that might be neat to try...

Is invading just turned off? I've played 20+ hours and have never been invaded. I'm also wearing the guardian ring to help people being invaded and nothing has happened yet. What's going on?
I'm also in this covenant and have never been summoned to help. Occasionally the covenant symbol in the top left starts faintly pulsating with light but I have no idea what that means. Invasions definitely work though. You get invaded instantly in (location spoiler)
Luna's Belfry
, if you're not in that covenant.

if I'm right as long as you beat the boss of the host player, you get back your used healing items
You get ALL your flasks back, even if you used them prior to being summoned. You also get ALL your durability restored, and sometimes (randomly?) reverse hollowing.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't think we have divine weapons anymore? The sword I mentioned has lightning damage, but it specifically scales with faith now (whereas Fire damage scales with int and faith combined).

if there aren't divine weapons then I have no idea what I'm gonna do there. :)

It's probably just as bad on the disc version, which I have. It does perform much worse than Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. In addition to choppy framerate (hovers in the 20s 90% of the time), sometimes the sounds do not play on time so it's hard to know if I actually hit something. I've also had problems where it takes about 5-8 seconds for the start menu to come up in game, and then I have to wait another 5 seconds for the item pictures to appear. The game also has trouble loading dialog sometimes. Talking to the level-up lady in Majula, I had to wait about 30 seconds for the voice to kick in and the dialog to advance. Weirdly enough, my PS3's fans almost never kick in full force (I have an old model), so it's not like my PS3 is being pushed to the limit trying to load everything.

Yeah, I've had other weird quirks like that too, but honestly they don't bother me as much as the frame rate. Its making the game a chore to play. The performance wasn't great in DeS and DS, but DS2 is worse than both of them =( To be honest I don't think it looks any better than DS either. I know the physics in DeS and DS were silly when your flinging bodies and wood around, but it looked better than what they have now. I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced, just really bummed about how poorly the final product performs.

So I just got owned by some
big armored dude on the top of the tower in the Forest of the Giants soon after the first fog door.
I don't want to look at any guides, but should I fight him or leave him for later?

How many times did I beat Flexile Sentry? This many times

h7vV31al.jpg

ElFly

Goddamnit, I got the digital PSN version. I think the loading times for summoning are pretty long, compared to how quickly other people arrive to my world.

So start with knight/warrior perhaps and pump everything into STR/DEX? I've never used a bow in a souls game, that might be neat to try...

Just look for the type of bow to suit the stats. For example with a quality build in dark souls 1, if its not a greatbow situation you would use the composite bow. It scales "C" off both strength and dex, and if both are high (40 in the case of DS 1) it does a TON of damage, way more than a longbow with a "A" scaling in dex. This is just an idea, but I had a lot fun doing it...Remember to look out for weapons that scale off both str and dex to see which will be really powerful.

Btw, I'm talking from a lot of Dark Souls 1 experience. NFI how DS 2 works...yet.

Calibus

Go down to the place with the contraption that doesn't move, ignore it. Keep going down further until you get to the water, there will be a lever you can pull in the room (to the left I believe) that will open the floodgates. Afterwards, you can go ahead to another area that will have a hallway to take you to the Heide's Tower.

OMFG thanks! I've been in that room a dozen times and never noticed the switch.

embalm

Lost Bastille:
So has anyone managed to beat the Sentinels without summoning? It seems like it would be impossible.

Once you have to fight two of them at once there are so little opportunities to attack. I think I'm going to check out the Tower of Flame before giving it another shot.
Beat them today with a summon. It was rough. Take out the first on the platform, get on the ground and focus on the one without a shield. He may have to through it first, i can't remember if he starts with it.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So GAF, i killed the 4
Old Ones and the Emerald Herald now says to go to the King Castle beyond the forest, but i can't find it
HELP ME.

Beats

Uh, I was fighting the Pursuer as a shade and the host impaled me with a ballista. I didn't know your teammates could kill you. lol

We need more data on this. There's got to be something that triggers it. Would be good to know.
Having retrieved humanity more than a couple times on one boss and after probably 10-15 fights I can pretty much say it's either random or a %. Something around 25% would probably be correct.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Just look for the type of bow to suit the stats. For example with a quality build in dark souls 1, if its not a greatbow situation you would use the composite bow. It scales "C" off both strength and dex, and if both are high (40 in the case of DS 1) it does a TON of damage, way more than a longbow with a "A" scaling in dex. This is just an idea, but I had a lot fun doing it...Remember to look out for weapons that scale off both str and dex to see which will be really powerful.

Btw, I'm talking from a lot of Dark Souls 1 experience. NFI how DS 2 works...yet.
Thanks dude!

Jobbs

Banned
Lost Bastille:
So has anyone managed to beat the Sentinels without summoning? It seems like it would be impossible.

Once you have to fight two of them at once there are so little opportunities to attack. I think I'm going to check out the Tower of Flame before giving it another shot.

You mean those three tall and skinny dudes? I actually did it solo. So far I've done all my bosses solo. What I do is leave a sign before a boss room, practice it by running as a white phantom for others, then attempt to solo it for myself.
You can take the first one one on one when you drop down if you just stay on that little platform. One on one they're not that hard. Then it's just a matter of taking the second two on at once, you have a lot of room to move, the key word here is simply patience, stay defensive, avoid them, avoid them, avoid them, and look for chance to get a hit or two in. Maintain discipline and you'll get one of them down and then the last one is one on one and not too hard.
it may also help that I did this a bit later then I might have, I was like level 60ish when I did this.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Beat them today with a summon. It was rough. Take out the first on the platform, get on the ground and focus on the one without a shield. He may have to through it first, i can't remember if he starts with it.

Stuck on this right now, wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for the fucking annoying ass room of a million guys you need to get through first...Is there an easy way to take all them out, this is getting old as hell.

Reporting in:

Swordsman is looking good, need some new armor but I'm reppin dual Falchion's at +5.

Today I killed:
-Dragonrider
-Old Dragonslayer (WTF ORNSTEIN LIVES?)
-Flexile whatever the thing is in No Man's Wharf

Gonna have a crack at the
Ruin Sentinels
tmmrw.

So still pretty early in the game since I'm cooping with my bro so each area takes twice the work. I'm really digging this OST, it's incredible and really sets the tone (so far). What really got me interested was
how the boss area Ornstein is in, Church of the Blue or whatever, looks exactly like Anor Londo on the outside. Really looking forward to the lore digging here, is Drangleic a future Lordran? This may already be confirmed by some of ya farther in the game, who knows.

Can't wait to start reppin Uchigata's sooooon.

Sooooo many hidden doors. I found 4 in one single room. I feel like I should just hump all the walls mashing X, but then some you actually have to hit to open, and at least one I know of you have to blow up.

ElFly

Twice I've been killed when helping other people kill the Bastille Boss, and I still get transformed into human.

Neato.

Jobbs

Banned
on a low level character (25-30 or so) you can chain get summoned for the pursuer fight and grind tokens (I have NO IDEA WHAST THESE ARE FOR YET, but I am gathering them in case they relate to the eventual sunbro covenant if I ever find it) but wow if people don't troll in that... Four different times I died to those ballistas because people like to run up and start shooting them. After a while I just started staying behind them to make sure I don't get hit by them.

LordCanti

Very very late game spoiler/hilarious thing:

I like that you need four got'damn souls to get into the Shrine of Winter, and there is literally just a pillar blocking the road to the castle that bypasses the Shrine entirely. Like...climb over the pillar, skip 90% of the game. Brilliant.

Edit: Oh, and make sure to leave signs. I've got like 300+ ratings, which has saved me in a lot of boss fights (getting rated gives you health).

I've killed about 15 bosses, lit two primordial bonfires and have no clue where to go now. Where could I go after killing Duke's Dear Freja? (spoilers about the aftermath)
Some special message appeared talking about a "great" demon defeated or something, but I check my inventory and it looks like I just got a regular boss soul. I returned to where I killed the spider boss and there's some giant crystal in the room that appears to do nothing.

LordCanti

I've killed about 15 bosses, lit two
primordial bonfires
and have no clue where to go now. Where could I go after killing
Duke's Dear Freja?
(spoilers about the aftermath)
Some special message appeared talking about a "great" demon defeated or something, but I check my inventory and it looks like I just got a regular boss soul. I returned to where I killed the spider boss and there's some giant crystal in the room that appears to do nothing.

The (late-ish game boss)
great soul is on the ground in her boss fight chamber. It's a glowing red orb thingy you have to pick up.

As much as I hate to say it, I may be done with Dark Souls 2.

Can't get past Pursuer. I am out of effigies. Vendor is out of effigies. I am at 1/2 health and most of the enemies in the tower have stopped respawning. I am down to 3 Estus only. I honestly do not know what to do at this point.

I don't want to make light of your predicament, but I beat
Persuer
in the exact same situation as you...albeit I still had several effigies left but refused to use them out of fear of wasting them on a boss that kept killing me. It was a huge spike in difficulty from the
Last Giant
. I'm not convinced he's "supposed" to be the 2nd boss.

MechaX

After 5 or so hours of playing with the Knight, I came to the conclusion that I just don't like this strength oriented stuff in Souls games.

I really just need my Dex builds with bows or Sorcery builds. Too many times I would see an enemy and be like "Oh, I will just use the bow to lur-... oh..."

Put my summon sign down in front of one boss, the person I try to help goes to a different boss but I roll with it because hey, that's what bros do. Except he dies from the boss before I even have a chance to get through the mist.

Sigh. Oh well.

Very very late game spoiler/hilarious thing:

I like that you need four got'damn souls to get into the Shrine of Winter, and there is literally just a pillar blocking the road to the castle that bypasses the Shrine entirely. Like...climb over the pillar, skip 90% of the game. Brilliant.

Edit: Oh, and make sure to leave signs. I've got like 300+ ratings, which has saved me in a lot of boss fights (getting rated gives you health).

I'd like to, but I haven't found the orange soapstone yet.

EDIT:FUCKKKK!!!! hahaha

Manus

So GAF, i killed the 4
Old Ones and the Emerald Herald now says to go to the King Castle beyond the forest, but i can't find it
HELP ME.

Their's an area in the fog forest which is through the area with the rock lady and the switch that has one of the big black king doors. Pretty sure it's that one.

Will ask again for the new page. Are there any areas/bosses in the forest of the fallen giants outside of the
jetpack dude and giant? Got to a third bonfire but I don't see anything. I know of the door that needs the ring.

Odrion

Banned
It's actually worse in the beginning, I think. Once you enter (and leave) Majula for other areas it's better. Or so it seemed to me. Ever since I started the
Giant Fores
(usually the first area), it has been fairly stable.
Kinda, but not really. Shit's like Undeadberg anywhere that's open or has fancy lighting.

any downside in killing the old hags at the beginning of the game?

They annoyed you that much eh? lol

I accidentally slapped one of them with my sword (hate the Dualshock 3 sometimes - if you set it down, you sometimes hit the L2/R2 buttons lol), and she just exclaimed something about me being rude or whatever. lol Not sure about actually killing them.

----

Can someone explain to me how the Soul v
essel
works? Does it require
giving up all your souls to reallocate them? Does it just reduce your SL to level 1 and you have to earn back every soul you used up? And who do you take it to? Just curious mostly.

Sakura

After 5 or so hours of playing with the Knight, I came to the conclusion that I just don't like this strength oriented stuff in Souls games.

I really just need my Dex builds with bows or Sorcery builds. Too many times I would see an enemy and be like "Oh, I will just use the bow to lur-... oh..."

Most of the melee weapons I've seen for my knight require dex as well as strength, so I have more than enough dex to use a bow.

This is my 3rd time asking:

Do you have to talk to someone in particular to get the online play items?

Any help is appreciated.

I can't remember all of them, but I know you get one from talking to a npc multiple times in the
forest area. Not directly in the forest parts, but it's the npc who tells you to go investigate the area behind the gate for treasures.

Weird....I was in Grave of Saints, in human form, an area I hadn't cleared yet. I had just warped there from the hub world.

Note: I had no summon sign down.

I walked into the first area next to the bonfire, and before I could kill my first rat I was pulled into a loading screen.

Eventually I was brought back to the same area with a message that said 'You have been summoned to 'Pontoon_Hands' World'...

Strange, as I said before, I hadn't dropped a summon sign down. And I wasn't a white phantom. I walked into the next room and Pontoon_Hands came at me and killed me.

I then appeared back in my own game, no souls lost, still in human form.

It's like someone summoned me at random into his world to do PVP...I didn't know that could even be done. Is this really a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom