• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veldin

Well, you're of course entitled to your opinion... but as a no-shield player who basically mastered parry and created the majority of my builds that way, it's significant to me.

I spent the day messing around with different classes... trying all the early stuff out, seeing what I like... nothing really clicks. I miss my off-hand parry.

Use a rapier then. The strong attack is a parry and you can do it in power stance if it's in your right hand.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Pursuer is an optional, so you can just go the other way from masajul. I notice how easy it is to kill the smaller bosses, just strafe around them as close to them as you can and look for an opening after they attack. Works almost every time. I've killed 3 bosses thus far that way.

It's a good technique but some small-medium sized bosses are fast, agile, and mobile. For them you pretty much have to use magic or just git gud.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Step back and think about this. Dual wielding power stance is a new introduction to the series. It hasn't existed in the games you profess to love so much. Suddenly, not being able to parry using this new mechanic is taking away 90% of the way you like to play Souls?

The "90%" figure I threw out there is referring to the % of time I spend in SOULS playing no-shield, dodge-n'-parry builds. It's basically how I play to get the most enjoyment out of the game. Turtling behind shields is boring. At least to me.

So yes, even though the power stance is kind of cool, kind of, I don't think it's really worth the trade-off. (Edit: rereading this post I realize I might have caused confusing bringing up the power stance in the first place, as it has nothing really to do with off-hand parry... this was my mistake, sorry.)

And it seems to me like you're kind of implying that removing off-hand parry isn't a big change for the series... I honestly don't get where you're coming from on this.

Use a rapier then. The strong attack is a parry and you can do it in power stance if it's in your right hand.

Thanks, I'll try it out. If L1 is a lunge attack, then this might be just what I'm looking for.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've killed a bunch of bosses so far without torches, the shitty part is that I wasn't able to activate the blacksmith that sits on the chest

You mean the one in Majula? I don't recall needing a torch for that one, only a key that you find fairly early on. If you found the key and he's still sitting on the chest then yeah you've got a bugged disc or something.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I
Also, how long did it take you to get to the door you unlocked, is it really that difficult to restart?

It's near the beginning I'd say, so it wouldn't take long. It's just...I felt slighted, you know? I got far further along but getting a glitched door... All my struggles for a glitch. It drained me. I'm OCD about glitches too so it's even worse. But the disc was 100% fine in the box. I snapped it in two like a champ lol. So I rebought the game on PSN, lol. That's the glitched copy.

Well I beat my first DSII boss, and it feels good bros.
Defeated the Last Giant on my third try.
Once I boosted my endurance a few levels above the cleric's base 3, it was pretty easy.

Eventide

Banned
It's near the beginning I'd say, so it wouldn't take long. It's just...I felt slighted, you know? I got far further along but getting a glitched door... All my struggles for a glitch. It drained me. I'm OCD about glitches too so it's even worse. But the disc was 100% fine in the box. I snapped it in two like a champ lol. So I rebought the game on PSN, lol. That's the glitched copy.

You broke the disc?

Dresden

So yes, even though the power stance is kind of cool, kind of, I don't think it's really worth the trade-off.

That's fine. You have the option of not using it.

And it seems to me like you're kind of implying that removing off-hand parry isn't a big change for the series... I honestly don't get where you're coming from on this.

I honestly don't get where you're coming from this... Offhand parry never got removed. Only time you're locked out of doing it with weapons that have always been able to do them is if you enter power stance. Which, you know, wasn't in the series before. It's not a change.

Mupod

Yeah, PS3 framerate is so far much more stable than the past two games so I have no idea wtf people were complaining about.

Has anyone done an elemental upgrade yet? If I use it on, say, my mace or large club will they lose their strength scaling entirely? I'm a str/faith build so I'd like to try it when I find an ember someday.

shinn623

It's a good technique but some small-medium sized bosses are fast, agile, and mobile. For them you pretty much have to use magic or just git gud.

Oh agreed. It does work pretty good against quick bosses, depending on the definition of quick. It worked on both bosses in the he
ides tower of flame (old dragonslayer, and dragonrider), I'm surprised it worked against the dragonslayer tbh.
I shall see how long I can use it before changing it up :)

dubq

What? Why?

You mean the one in Majula? I don't recall needing a torch for that one, only a key that you find fairly early on. If you found the key and he's still sitting on the chest then yeah you've got a bugged disc or something.

Yeah, that key is
bought from a merchant at the second bonfire in the Forest of the Fallen Giants

Really bummed by some of the changes.

Everything feels like it has lag now... I know this is supposedly tied to a stat or some shit, but it's really throwing me off.

But more than anything... taking away my parry has basically ruined most of the fun in game for me. You're forced into either two-handing or using a shield. Sorry, but this change is worse than any kind of noise we heard about fast travel or anything else... it's such a dumb decision. So now if you dual wield, you have NO DEFENSE AT ALL! You can't even get a %reduction block anymore! No parry, no block... unless you two-hand. Not worth the trade-off for getting reg R2 attack on the off-hand. And the dual wield power stance is retarded. Okay, so I get one strong attack that swings both weapons, but this costs me the ability to block attacks and parry? Yeah... fucking retarded.

Thanks FROM for basically killing 90% of the way I like to play SOULS.

The game is actually really cool in a lot of ways... but they completely ruined my dex playstyle with these pointless changes.

You can parry with dual swords, just hit L2. Oh it is with only certain weapons like scimitar.

Help guys, I just beat the
Lost Sinner
and finally got a
Fragrant Branch of Yore
. If I use it on the guy at
Last Bastille
, will I be stuck because I can't unfreeze the lady down in the forest path?

ironcreed

Banned
I'll take out the Sentinels in The Lost Bastille tomorrow. I made some good progress tonight and am absolutely loving the game. Which reminds me, I need to put my Gamefly subscription on hold. As I'm just not going to be playing anything else.

What are you guys doing with the unique souls you get from bosses? I have like seven of them now. Is there somewhere to trade them for cool shit, or should I just consume them?

arab

E5tkxZG.jpg

BOW BEFORE THE GREATEST KNIGHT

this game is great. it's not quite dark souls 1 and that's a good thing

What are you guys doing with the unique souls you get from bosses? I have like seven of them now. Is there somewhere to trade them for cool shit, or should I just consume them?

In DS1, boss souls would be used to create unique weapons with special features, so if you're into collecting weapons don't consume those souls.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That's fine. You have the option of not using it.

I honestly don't get where you're coming from this... Offhand parry never got removed. Only time you're locked out of doing it with weapons that have always been able to do them is if you enter power stance. Which, you know, wasn't in the series before. It's not a change.

Hmm.... okay, in my defense... some weapons that used to do an offhand L2 parry now attack instead. I've yet to encounter one in the game that doesn't. But from that gif I can see that some do.

It appears the issue isn't cut and dry. I hereby retract any statements I've made that may have been taken as douchey... lol.

Seems I have to dig into it a bit more.

ElFly

Guys, one time in the castle in Forest of the Giants, a giant eagle came and
left a giant armored dude on top of a ceiling. No, it was not pursuer.

It killed me and then never appeared again.

Anyone know what the fuck.

I understand what it's like to get your spirits broken due to a glitch, but I'd recommend gritting your teeth and getting back to that point in the game and seeing how you feel about progressing after that.

Also, even if the game appeared in perfect condition, a manufacturing error could have led to it being prone to snapping. The disc has a 1 year warranty for a reason from the manufacturer, I'd definitely look into taking advantage of your consumer rights!

Mupod

Guys, one time in the castle in Forest of the Giants, a giant eagle came and
left a giant armored dude on top of a ceiling. No, it was not pursuer.

It killed me and then never appeared again.

Anyone know what the fuck.

In my case it
showed up, dropped a guy who then instantly vanished and never returned.

12 hours in and level 60-something, about to restart cause I can't do magic anymore. Along with generally being pretty uninteresting, I have to rely on other people to distract bosses so I don't get stomped every time I cast a heavier spell but every phantom I get seems completely bewildered on what is happening on their screen because they never go with 20 feet of any boss then die.

Recarpo

One more shot for a new page. Keep getting a "Failed to load character data" error on one character, but loading a different character works fine. Tried restarting and anything else I can think of. Anybody seen this or have any suggestions to not lose a character with a lot of time on it?

12 hours in and level 60-something, about to restart cause I can't do magic anymore. Along with generally being pretty uninteresting, I have to rely on other people to distract bosses so I don't get stomped every time I cast a heavier spell but every phantom I get seems completely bewildered on what is happening on their screen because they never go with 20 feet of any boss then die.

Restart or respec? You know you can respec your stats if you so choose using a Soul Vessel, no need to do a game restart.

Mupod

Bell covenant is great, almost constant pvp

I'll have to give it a try...I was dead set on blue sentinels before I got the game, and I was super hyped when I inadvertently found them really early on. I've had that ring on ALL DAY and not a single summon.

I suppose I could use cracked blue orbs I guess. Do those tend to work fine or is it just darkmoon all over again?

Jagxyz

I'll have to give it a try...I was dead set on blue sentinels before I got the game, and I was super hyped when I inadvertently found them really early on. I've had that ring on ALL DAY and not a single summon.

I suppose I could use cracked blue orbs I guess. Do those tend to work fine or is it just darkmoon all over again?

I haven't had any success with blue orbs, might just be that there aren't enough sinners yet though.

2AdEPT

One more shot for a new page. Keep getting a "Failed to load character data" error on one character, but loading a different character works fine. Tried restarting and anything else I can think of. Anybody seen this or have any suggestions to not lose a character with a lot of time on it?

make sure that character did not join the champion covenant? it blocks regular multiplayer.

where were you 5 minuted ago? lost 30000 souls after getting invaded and dieing on trash mobs tryong to recover blodstain!!! 2 hours of helping noobs down the drain!! In here for a break...at leaast I got the
light roll armour
, fuck is light....like 4 lbs total for the whole set.

george_us

God dammit the
Ruin Sentinels
are already making me want to put this game on hiatus. I might come back to this once summoning isn't completely fucked.

Recarpo

make sure that character did not join the champion covenant? it blocks regular multiplayer.

Can't even load the character into the game. It gives that error at the choose the character to load screen and won't go farther. That character isn't in a covenant at the moment, either I don't think.

Haha, just killed
The Pursuer
with some help. Had 2 summons, while they were working on the boss I decided to use the
ballista
. Hit the boss on the first try. 2nd try, hit one of my summons and one shot him, lol. Wish I could have seen it on his screen. Sorry buddy.

i was helping people with that boss for a while tonight. one of the times as i spawned the host had already entered the mist. as soon as i entered the mist to join him
ballista to the face and death. i was in his game for about ten seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom