• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garland7G

Finally found the old Hunter armor, which as it turns out is just regular leather armor ha! never knew, anyways I just like the way it looks so I'ma 'roll' with it for the game unless something I like better comes along. I just wish I could dye it lol.

CFceVfj.png

2tCdbxn.png

The Lamp

Man,
The Pursuer
is making me feel like a bitch in the game. I know what to do, but I always fuck up somehow, its really annoying. The fight seems to take forever, which I think is my problem. I'm using pretty much all my starting gear and weapons, as a Swordsman, should I be going in there with some upgrades and higher level? I'm soul level 18. Think I'm just going to go human and summon some help.

Same here. I can deal with him except there's an occasional one or two sort-of cheap shots that he lands that take me out. I think I'm gonna go human and summon.

Prototype

I think sublime bone dust might have the coolest flavor text.
What Flavor text has stood out to you guys?

Also, got my 4th Estus Flask!

Amir0x

Banned
Ugh, I can't play this. I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I will have to wait for the PC version. Given that this is one of my most anticipated games of all time, so much so that I broke my usual standard of always buying the PC version of a multiplatform game first... I'll return this :(

Same here. I can deal with him except there's an occasional one or two sort-of cheap shots that he lands that take me out. I think I'm gonna go human and summon.

Using either of the
two catapults on him deals massive damage. Easier when you have a summon but I killed him essentially in one lucky shot using it. Be careful though as he can break them when charging at you, use a summon to keep him distracted while you shoot.

isual

level 90, 15 hours in, already slain

last giant
pursuer
dragonrider
flexile sentry
ruin sentinel
lost sinner
executioner chariot
skeleton lords
where to next ?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
~midgame spoilers

Wow, the
Old Sinner
is one of the very best boss fights I have ever played, much less best Souls boss fights. That was pure Artorias (although not as cool as Artorias, in fact the whole aesthetic from the setting to the character was drab). No tricks or overpowered NPC white phantom, just one-on-one swordplay. I was barely doing any damage and kept dieing but I knew if I could get the pattern down I could do it. And I did! I love this fuckin game. One down, three to go. My journey has practically just started.

As much as I hate to say it, I may be done with Dark Souls 2.

Can't get past Pursuer. I am out of effigies. Vendor is out of effigies. I am at 1/2 health and most of the enemies in the tower have stopped respawning. I am down to 3 Estus only. I honestly do not know what to do at this point.

iwCtYkOJSghjE.gif

Ugh, I can't play this. I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I will have to wait for the PC version. Given that this is one of my most anticipated games of all time, so much so that I broke my usual standard of always buying the PC version of a multiplatform game first... I'll return this :(

PS3 or 360? 360 seems more than fine to me...

ironcreed

Banned
Man, the Sentinel guys are not hard, it's just hard to keep your eye on them all. I can get one easy and nearly had another. Should not be too bad once I get their attacks down.

Really bummed by some of the changes.

Everything feels like it has lag now... I know this is supposedly tied to a stat or some shit, but it's really throwing me off.

Thanks FROM for basically killing 90% of the way I like to play SOULS.

The game is actually really cool in a lot of ways... but they completely ruined my dex playstyle with these pointless changes.

This is the kind of stuff I don't like reading because from my limited experience I'm really afraid this could be game ruining for me. I only played the TGS demo, but everything seemed to be a real step back in terms of character movement and abilities...Way clunkier. I am absolutely gonna crank that adaptability stat. Priority 1. That should get the movement as close to the perfection of Dark Souls as I can. But why from? Why remove such great controls, and nerf such cool abilities?

Dammit, the game is so close I can almost taste it now. Please be good please be good

cheezcake

Ps3 or 360 version? I considered returning the 360 version at first because well, the IQ is pretty terrible especially the low res alphas. But after a couple more hours of playtime I seriously don't care anymore because the gameplay is awesome.

Ive been playing for about eight hours, and I'm just not sure if I'm having any fun. The pacing and tempo feels off compared to the first ten hours of DkS, which I thought was magnificent. I'm somewhat bummed out because I was so excited for this game, but I just turned my PS3 off and don't feel like playing at all. After running through No Mans Wharf and dying for what must have been the twentieth time, I just feel exhausted, like I'm getting nowhere fast. I never felt quite like this when I played through both DS and DkS. Sigh.

Dresden

Everything feels like it has lag now... I know this is supposedly tied to a stat or some shit, but it's really throwing me off.

But more than anything... taking away my parry has basically ruined most of the fun in game for me. You're forced into either two-handing or using a shield. Sorry, but this change is worse than any kind of noise we heard about fast travel or anything else... it's such a dumb decision. So now if you dual wield, you have NO DEFENSE AT ALL! You can't even get a %reduction block anymore! No parry, no block... unless you two-hand. Not worth the trade-off for getting reg R2 attack on the off-hand. And the dual wield power stance is retarded. Okay, so I get one strong attack that swings both weapons, but this costs me the ability to block attacks and parry? Yeah... fucking retarded.

The game is actually really cool in a lot of ways... but they completely ruined my dex playstyle with these pointless changes.

You know, you don't have to dual wield with dex play.

Was just playing it Monday. This feels way better.

I played it today, immediately after playing DS2. The frame rate is much worse in DS2 than in DS.

I feel the same way, I really can't play this game. I can't believe it performs even worse than DS =(

Dark Souls PS3 runs like complete ass. I was playing it Sunday and Monday before DS2, I remember quite clearly.

Thats great, again, I played the game immediately after playing DS2 because I thought I was misremembering. DS didn't have the greatest of frame rates after all. Believe me, DS2 is even worse.

Sub_Level

Man, the Sentinel guys are not hard, it's just hard to keep your eye on them all. I can get one easy and nearly had another. Should not be too bad once I get their attacks down.

I think they're supposed to be girls aren't they?

Also the problem arises when you have to face more than one. There's a thing you can do to make it much easier though...

Yep I'm going mostly DEX with STR lagging behind like 10 levels and never dual-wield.

Plissken

Summon help or come back to him, I skipped ahead.

I just rage quit there after my 5th death to him, how do you skip ahead? I don't see anywhere else to go. I've cleared the
turtles
area by the
soldiers rest
bonfire, did I miss a door somewhere?

Wolfe

Found this video on youtube: Dark Souls II - How to Dual Wield (no spoilers!)

With power stance, L1 attack does ~20% and L2 attack does ~100% more damage compared to L1 and L2 attacks without power stance.

Dunno how this dude made the video and didn't mention needing 1.5 times the dex requirement as well. I was confused as fuck till I looked around online (although I had a feeling it was prolly that, just didn't have the souls to check at the time).

Mana Sin

Bastille stuff:
The blacksmith there. I've lit his fire. Do I need to fetch him an ember now so he'll get to work? If so, what zone is it in? I might make that my next destination.

Prototype

They pissed me off and I went to the firetower, but I'm coming back there right now... I finally have Great Sword. WOW. It's incredibly quick for a UGS

Sub_Level

You have a frame rate counter or are you eye balling?

The framerate is all over the place that even someone off the street could eyeball it. Most interiors = high, most exteriors = average. Haven't had low yet although I'm sure with enough enemies and effects...

You're either in a no summon zone, or you may have been kicked off line. I've always had to go back to the title screen to get back on :(

Maybe it's hiccups with online. I was in a covenant and just left it, retrace led to and area and now there are markings all over the floor. Not sure if online or covenant related now. Thanks for the post for my sanity :)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Try not to take this the wrong way, moderator, but that's the kind of post I'd expect from a junior member.

Illuminating.

Bye Gaf

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

But more than anything... taking away my parry has basically ruined most of the fun in game for me. You're forced into either two-handing or using a shield. Sorry, but this change is worse than any kind of noise we heard about fast travel or anything else... it's such a dumb decision. So now if you dual wield, you have NO DEFENSE AT ALL! You can't even get a %reduction block anymore! No parry, no block... unless you two-hand. Not worth the trade-off for getting reg R2 attack on the off-hand. And the dual wield power stance is retarded. Okay, so I get one strong attack that swings both weapons, but this costs me the ability to block attacks and parry? Yeah... fucking retarded.

That's really nitpicky.

Alucrid

Banned
Can anyone remind me where the third Phharros' location is?
Already got the one below the crossbolt trap and the one below the bonfire after the Sentinels

Sub_Level

So I just joined someone's game to help, got killed mid level, and now I'm human. I don't understand.

Yeah there's really inconsistent reporting of co-op inadvertently giving players humanity back. It's apparently not a sure science yet with regards to how and when it works.

Where the heck do ya get torches in this game? I'm 20 hours in and I used one once, and I have no idea where to get more.

Toggle with Triangle (PS3) or Y (360) at a bonfire. There's your torch m8. You can get extra torches as "items" in chests and whatnot to make it longer than 5 minute burnout.

edit: Also there's an item which I believe lets you indiscriminately light your torch. Something butterfly...

Dresden

Try not to take this the wrong way, moderator, but that's the kind of post I'd expect from a junior member.

Illuminating.

Bye Gaf

Step back and think about this. Dual wielding power stance is a new introduction to the series. It hasn't existed in the games you profess to love so much. Suddenly, not being able to parry using this new mechanic is taking away 90% of the way you like to play Souls?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I will admit that all my fears were unfounded. DSII is an amazing game. However, I'll have to quit. First, I snapped my Black Armor Edition disc in two while getting it out the case. I bought a digital copy on PSN, only to find a door permanently locked after opening it earlier in my playthrough, and confirming that it was a glitch.

Massive shame, because I fell in love with the game. Good luck to everyone having a great experience. It's an outstanding game. I also bought the Collector's Edition guide. It'll be useless to me now...but that a gorgeous tome. It's simply amazing.

You have a frame rate counter or are you eye balling?

Unfortunately, DF doesn't have a framerate video for DS for comparisons, but I'm hardly the only person to notice this. Play DS2 for an hour, then go straight to DS, you can tell the difference. DS2 may not ever get as bad as Blight Town, but its worse overall.

edit- Playing on PS3 btw

Saganator

Haha, just killed
The Pursuer
with some help. Had 2 summons, while they were working on the boss I decided to use the
ballista
. Hit the boss on the first try. 2nd try, hit one of my summons and one shot him, lol. Wish I could have seen it on his screen. Sorry buddy.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That's really nitpicky.

Well, you're of course entitled to your opinion... but as a no-shield player who basically mastered parry and created the majority of my builds that way, it's significant to me.

I spent the day messing around with different classes... trying all the early stuff out, seeing what I like... nothing really clicks. I miss my off-hand parry.

Calibus

I'm not sure even Tom Cruise can save me now. But yeah, skipping
Pursuer
for now and heading into
Tower of Flames. Course, now the Dragonrider is giving me fits, but he seems more approachable. That place has a serious Anor Londo vibe going with the giant guardians and all.

Toggle with Triangle (PS3) or Y (360) at a bonfire. There's your torch m8. You can get extra torches as "items" in chests and whatnot to make it longer than 5 minute burnout.

edit: Also there's an item which I believe lets you indiscriminately light your torch. Something butterfly...

I swear, I'm trying to do that and it doesn't work! It gives me no option to toggle. It just switches to two-handed as triangle would normally. I wonder if it's a bug...

Recarpo

Anybody gotten a "failed to load character data" when trying to load a character after the game crashes? Would be really unfortunate if I just lost 10 hours of time to this.

Thats great, again, I played the game immediately after playing DS2 because I thought I was misremembering. DS didn't have the greatest of frame rates after all. Believe me, DS2 is even worse.

That's great, enjoy being wrong. Seems like people are just trying to find a way to not enjoy this game.

Oh well, not my problem.

Sub_Level

I'm not sure even Tom Cruise can save me now. But yeah, skipping
Pursuer
for now and heading into
Tower of Flames. Course, now the Dragonrider is giving me fits, but he seems more approachable. That place has a serious Anor Londo vibe going with the giant guardians and all.

Oh believe me there's more to Anor Londo in that place than just the looks but it's not something which should be spoiled. Didn't do
Dragon Rider until after Pursuer but I think you will have a slightly easier time overall.

I will admit that all my fears were unfounded. DSII is an amazing game. However, I'll have to quit. First, I snapped my Black Armor Edition disc in two while getting it out the case. I bought a digital copy on PSN, only to find a door permanently locked after opening it earlier in my playthrough, and confirming that it was a glitch.

Massive shame, because I fell in love with the game. Good luck to everyone having a great experience. It's an outstanding game. I also bought the Collector's Edition guide. It'll be useless to me now...but that a gorgeous tome. It's simply amazing.

It may take a while, but I'm sure From will patch the door glitch. Also, you can try returning the game to the store you purchased it, and also the game disc has a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer so you can try contacting Namco/Bandai directly. Just say it was shipped snapped in half, and they should send a new disc under the right conditions. Keep us posted!

Also, how long did it take you to get to the door you unlocked, is it really that difficult to restart?

TraBuch

Banned
Quick question about the armorer in Majula.
I bought some of his stuff and he ended up getting more stock and dialogue. I ended up buying some of the new stock and now he brags about how rich he is when I talk to him. Does he have another tier of armor to sell or should I just keep my souls?

shinn623

I just rage quit there after my 5th death to him, how do you skip ahead? I don't see anywhere else to go. I've cleared the
turtles
area by the
soldiers rest
bonfire, did I miss a door somewhere?

Pursuer is an optional, so you can just go the other way from masajul. I notice how easy it is to kill the smaller bosses, just strafe around them as close to them as you can and look for an opening after they attack. Works almost every time. I've killed 3 bosses thus far that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom