• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

Anyone else suffering motion sickness?

I have 100+ hours in Dark Souls, about the same in Demon's Souls, and neither of those games give me any problems at all.

Wondering if the FoV is different in DS2 or something similar...

I did the first day I played. I was thinking it might be the framerate that jumps up and down.

Mutombo

I think he's easier to roll than block, but if you absolutely can't win you can nearly 1-shot him with the ballista if you play solo.

Tried it once but he just steamrolls over me when I'm behind a balista.

Dang i do so little damage as well. Like 93 per hit/two hits.

Feindflug

Got my copies today and installed/updated the PS3 version (I'll try out the 360 version later), the servers are still not up here in Euroland it seems. Also disappointing that the game doesn't upscale at 1080p, when I tried to force 1080p the game went down to 576p..oh well.

Also the PAL Black Armor Edition comes with a B&W manual, I guess it's better than nothing plus the soundtrack has 35 tracks for anyone wondering.

BTW If anyone wants the bonus DLC weapons from the Black Armor Edition (Black Armour Weapon set) just quote this. ;)

PS3 Code

Mendrox

Tried it once but he just steamrolls over me when I'm behind a balista.

Dang i do so little damage as well. Like 93 per hit/two hits.

Let him rush to you when you stand at the fog gate, dodge with a roll, run to the crossbow, press x x x x and hope you get him and he doesnt do his range attack. Easiest fight in the game.

Ourobolus

Banned
Finally found Heide's Tower. I remember going down there at one point but I didn't see the lever for the sewer gate. I was wandering around for hours.

So...is there any point to that dead-end with the turtles in the Forest of the Fallen Giants? I remember the was a
Giant rests in peace
statue/thing there, but I assumed I didn't have whatever item was necessary. I just cleared out the area, collected what items I could, and left.

Also, the bonfire there? Worst place to teleport, ever.

cheezcake

So a little clarification about illusionary walls in this game, been seeing a few strange comments about how you have to active them with 'a' and breaking doesn't work.

There are two types now, some walls can only be broken and others can only be activated.

Mutombo

Let him rush to you when you stand at the fog gate, dodge with a roll, run to the crossbow, press x x x x and hope you get him and he doesnt do his range attack. Easiest fight in the game.

haha i can't even get the "PRESS A" to pop up. Seriously, how many tries did it take you? Do I run to the farthest or the closest ballista?

Mutombo

Also, I did like 40 percent damage with ballista - not nearly a one shot. Is it a patch thing or did he had his shield up? I didn't see. I was frantic.

georly

Ok, so last night I beat the first major boss
The prisoner, sinner guy

I got the
item that lets you remove petrification and I used it on the guy who lets you use souls to get new weapons. The item is now gone from my inventory.

Can anyone tell me, without spoiling things, if the only way left for me to go now is
down the giant well in majula? I was going to go remove the petrification from that lady near the door switch, but now the item seems to be gone, so I guess I can't go that way.
Just say if there is another path I can take or if the one I put in spoilers is the only one left to me. I can't find anywhere else to go. If there is somewhere else, i'll gladly look. :)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I did like 40 percent damage with ballista - not nearly a one shot. Is it a patch thing or did he had his shield up? I didn't see. I was frantic.
Were you fighting alone? If you had a phantom it should've done less because of the increased health but solo it takes out 990 out of 1000 of his health.

Mutombo

Were you fighting alone? If you had a phantom it should've done less because of the increased health but solo it takes out 990 out of 1000 of his health.

I guess he had his shield up, because I made it work the last time. Indeed.

I killed him.

I did I did.

Corpekata

Banned
Ok, so last night I beat the first major boss
The prisoner, sinner guy

I got the
item that lets you remove petrification and I used it on the guy who lets you use souls to get new weapons. The item is now gone from my inventory.

Can anyone tell me, without spoiling things, if the only way left for me to go now is
down the giant well in majula? I was going to go remove the petrification from that lady near the door switch, but now the item seems to be gone, so I guess I can't go that way.
Just say if there is another path I can take or if the one I put in spoilers is the only one left to me. I can't find anywhere else to go. If there is somewhere else, i'll gladly look. :)

There should be more than just the well for you to do after that boss but that depends on what you've cleared so far. Since you said that's the first major boss you killed, there's at least one other path that should be open to you.

Wow. That boss nod to Dark Souls killed me like 8 times.
6 gargoyles on a roof is not an easy task. Plus it caught me by surprises since I thought there was gonna be only 2

Welp, despite thinking I'd be able to wait until the PC release I totally crumbled and went and bought a PS3 copy the moment EB Games opened. Thankfully I don't regret it one bit! The game is awesome.

One thing though, has the online server for the PS3 version been down all day or something? I was able to download the calibrations but it fails every time I try to go online. I'm still having lots of fun offline but I would love some PVP and summoning.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
OK seriously, is the pursuer a viable option after the first boss? I am level 32, using the Haile Sword, and am dead in two hits because of the 50% health.

I do not have internet. :(

I beat him at level 17 with him killing me in 2 hits, but only after like a billion tries. What pushed me over the top was to roll to your right/his left where his shield is, and just hit him in the shield. That huge shield really doesn't block unless he's actually holding it up to block, which isn't that often, so you can basically ignore it and hit right through it. Dodging to the left is hard because he has so much more attack range near his sword hand.

After I learned that it was just a matter of keeping enough distance to bait out his easy to dodge charge attack, chip away a bit of damage, and then running away to bait out another charge attack.

Everything else is just underleveled dark souls basics. Don't get greedy on the attack, keep it to one or two hits at a time at most, roll instead of block, and only heal directly after a successful dodge when you know for sure you have enough time, accepting the fact you're giving up 2 easy hits for a refill on health.

Mana Sin

Welp, despite thinking I'd be able to wait until the PC release I totally crumbled and went and bought a PS3 copy the moment EB Games opened. Thankfully I don't regret it one bit! The game is awesome.

One thing though, has the online server for the PS3 version been down all day or something? I was able to download the calibrations but it fails every time I try to go online. I'm still having lots of fun offline but I would love some PVP and summoning.

There was scheduled maintenance, but I thought it was over by now. I've been engaging in PvP shenanigans all morning.

georly

There should be more than just the well for you to do after that boss but that depends on what you've cleared so far. Since you said that's the first major boss you killed, there's at least one other path that should be open to you.

By first major boss I mean
The first to give me one of those giant souls.

For reference, i have killed:
The last giant, dragonrider, ornsteinn, pursuer, the boat boss in the wharf, the 3 tall skinny knight guys, the 5 gargoyles, and then now the sinner guy. I think that might be it.
I got to the bottom of the well
and was blown up immediately and traumatized from wanting to go back down there.

As long as there is somewhere else to go, that's good. I'll try to find it tonight.

Mana Sin

:( that would've been useful. I used them thinking they might have an effect on the
3 tall gold sentinels
but I was incredibly wrong.

What do you do with the bastille key?

There's just some doors in the Bastille you can now open. I don't remember what's behind them, though.

Corpekata

Banned
By first major boss I mean
The first to give me one of those giant souls.

For reference, i have killed:
The last giant, dragonrider, ornsteinn, pursuer, the boat boss in the wharf, the 3 tall skinny knight guys, the 5 gargoyles, and then now the sinner guy. I think that might be it.
I got to the bottom of the well
and was blown up immediately and traumatized from wanting to go back down there.

As long as there is somewhere else to go, that's good. I'll try to find it tonight.

There is another large path for you then if you've cleared those bosses, as you're at about the same progress I'm at. I'll spoiler it in case you get frustrated.

Once you get the miracle vendor to move to town (she's on top of Dragonrider area) she'll offer to open a door on the path to Heide's, that strange contraption if you remember.. Go to the tower where you fought the Dragonrider and continue on the path there.

georly

@ Corpekata

Cool, thanks. I wont quote you because that'll reveal the spoiler to me, but i'm happy to know there is somewhere else for me to find. I actually *LIKE* getting stuck in games sometimes, but I was dreading going down the well again (as i barely made it down the first time). Good to know there is something else to do. I'll look for it tonight.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Asking again: How can I summon the ally I got for the
3 Knights
?
Or is it not possible there?

Corpekata

Banned
Asking again: How can I summon the ally I got for the
3 Knights
?
Or is it not possible there?

In one of the cells near the boss door you'll see a sign for someone called Pilgrim Bellatrice. You need to be human.

Though to be clear, the "ally" you got is not the one you'll use for that fight (the one you summon doesn't appear to have any story signifigance), but she does appear throughout the game and can be summoned for other fights. You always need to be human to see them though.

Realyn

Please don't laugh at me, but are there no more xbox live trial codes these days? I've bought very few console games over the last 2 years, but as far as I remember the MP games like GTA and Halo4 had them.

edit:typo

Not dismissing anyones skill, but am I the only one who likes doing a solo run my first play through? I especially refuse to seek help on bosses because I think it detracts from the experience.

Searched the thread, but couldn't find anyone with this quite big problem:

The Emerald Herald never spawned for me.

I have no idea what happened. I got to Majula, messed around there, sat at the fire, talked to the blacksmith and Crestfallen, figured I would find the person to level with later, and putzed off to the Forrest.

After a few hours of that, I figured there had to be a way to level up. So I searched online, found I could only level at the lady next to the fire in Majula. And as said, in my game, there is no lady.

I didn't kill her or anything, she was just never there. Am I doing something wrong?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Although it's unintuitive, not summoning for the
sentinels
actually makes the fight much easier because of how much less health they have.

georly

Edit: super beaten

How do I get in human form after beating a boss as a summon?

I DUNNO!. My main character does not revert to human after helping people. It's only happened ONCE to me, and I actually *LEFT EARLY* because the person I was trying to help never bothered to enter the boss door. He just sat there. So i used the separation crystal, left, and when i was back in my world i was human. I probably have like 12 of those tokens for helping people, and 0/12 times was i returned to human. Only the one time when I left was i returned to human.

Rolfgang

Please don't laugh at me, but are there no more xbox live trial codes these days? I've bought very few console games over the last 2 games, but as far as I remember the MP games like GTA and Halo4 had them.

I got one last week, I think Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (MP-only game) had it...

Mana Sin

I have no idea what happened. I got to Majula, messed around there, sat at the fire, talked to the blacksmith and Crestfallen, figured I would find the person to level with later, and putzed off to the Forrest.

After a few hours of that, I figured there had to be a way to level up. So I searched online, found I could only level at the lady next to the fire in Majula. And as said, in my game, there is no lady.

I didn't kill her or anything, she was just never there. Am I doing something wrong?

I think I read of someone having that problem. Try talking to the Firekeepers again or something? I'm not sure it that will work.

Did you check next to the tree by the edge of the cliff? Sometimes she wonders round Majula but its usually close to the bonfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom