• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

Searched the thread, but couldn't find anyone with this quite big problem:

The Emerald Herald never spawned for me.

I have no idea what happened. I got to Majula, messed around there, sat at the fire, talked to the blacksmith and Crestfallen, figured I would find the person to level with later, and putzed off to the Forrest.

After a few hours of that, I figured there had to be a way to level up. So I searched online, found I could only level at the lady next to the fire in Majula. And as said, in my game, there is no lady.

I didn't kill her or anything, she was just never there. Am I doing something wrong?

She was by a tree a little ways off from the fire when you first see her. By a tree near the cliff. Look there?

RoeBear

Not dismissing anyones skill, but am I the only one who likes doing a solo run my first play through? I especially refuse to seek help on bosses because I think it detracts from the experience.

If the roll invincibility from DrkS1 was still in the game it might be fun. As it is right now the bosses have a huge amount of health that you have to whittle away. I like coop cause the alternative seems to be kiting and just patience, which in my opinion exploit the AI far more than just having a buddy there to help out.

Hixx

Awesome, got my copy a day early, are the European servers already online?

Nope. Just 'tomorrow' according to NamcoBandai's UK twitter. A lot of people who pre-order online get their games a day early, so this is a bit annoying. I got mine yesterday, was hoping they'd be up today :(

There was scheduled maintenance, but I thought it was over by now. I've been engaging in PvP shenanigans all morning.

Ah, I see. I'll try again tomorrow and hopefully it'll be working on my end.

Edit:
Nope. Just 'tomorrow' according to NamcoBandai's UK twitter. A lot of people who pre-order online get their games a day early, so this is a bit annoying. I got mine yesterday, was hoping they'd be up today :(

Well this might explain things... Maybe. I'm in Australia and I reeeeeeally hope we're not getting lumped in with Europe for the online. That would be horrendously laggy every time.

Wrapped up last night killing both the first bosses from the first 2 area available. Picked up the flame and electric sword and the couple special rings for health, stamina and hollow form life level.

Can anyone confirm that with only 1 Int you cannot forge the boss souls?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
In one of the cells near the boss door you'll see a sign for someone called Pilgrim Bellatrice. You need to be human.

Though to be clear, the "ally" you got is not the one you'll use for that fight (the one you summon doesn't appear to have any story signifigance), but she does appear throughout the game and can be summoned for other fights. You always need to be human to see them though.

Ah, awesome. Thanks.

Mutombo

I'm in need of a weapon upgrade. And I don't want to waste my last effigy.

But so far, how are you guys finding new weapons, and how are you liking them? That berserker katana from the loading screen looked hellawesome, but I probably need to wait. Like 15 more hours of playing waiting.

Audioboxer

IT'S HAPPENING! Dispatching now, hold me GAF.

darksouls2dispatch.png

Holy shit is my play through going badly....
I must have spent 4 hours last night playing what would be a 15 minute section of the game and never getting past. I never had these issues with either of the other Souls game and I'm surprised. I think I really just need to get some more levels but it feels like there are fewer souls in this game. I'm constanly broke even when I kill stuff. Just taking too much damage and not dealing enough.

Enjoying it but another night like last night and I'm going to just get worn down.

*The funny part to me (I don't know if this is intentional or a glitch) is that if you die a shitload, the game keeps removing enemies. I'm in the wharf and the first dozen guys are all done and I still can't get past this. It doesn't matter how many there are, I get near the end and I get double teamed without a way out.

georly

Holy shit is my play through going badly....
I must have spent 4 hours last night playing what would be a 15 minute section of the game and never getting past. I never had these issues with either of the other Souls game and I'm surprised. I think I really just need to get some more levels but it feels like there are fewer souls in this game. I'm constanly broke even when I kill stuff. Just taking too much damage and not dealing enough.

Enjoying it but another night like last night and I'm going to just get worn down.

*The funny part to me (I don't know if this is intentional or a glitch) is that if you die a shitload, the game keeps removing enemies. I'm in the wharf and the first dozen guys are all done and I still can't get past this. It doesn't matter how many there are, I get near the end and I get double teamed without a way out.

Try using a torch on the
black demon things. They'll recoil in fear and wont hit you.

I haven't had much time to follow this thread, but did I read correctly that you can respawn
bosses?

The game wasn't clicking with me for the first couple hours (I don't like some of the changes), but after beating the first boss and helping some other people do the same, I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more. The sense of exploration and discovery in these games is so good.

When you kill regular enemies 15 times they stop respawning. I like the mechanic, grinding to become overleveled always felt like a way to cheese the game in DS and DaS. This at least makes it more difficult. There is a way to make enemies respawn though.

Shinjica

When you kill regular enemies 15 times they stop respawning. I like the mechanic, grinding to become overleveled always felt like a way to cheese the game in DS and DaS. There is a way to make enemies respawn though.

ell, now boss give you a shitload of soul so you simply need to do some coop and the respawn stop beeing a problem.

Celegus

So...is there any point to that dead-end with the turtles in the Forest of the Fallen Giants? I remember the was a
Giant rests in peace
statue/thing there, but I assumed I didn't have whatever item was necessary. I just cleared out the area, collected what items I could, and left.

Also, the bonfire there? Worst place to teleport, ever.

Curious about that as well. Why would there be a bonfire at a useless dead end? Unless you do just need to come back with an item later and it opens up a path or something.

There was also a place at the long staircase with the three undeads standing at the bottom that leads into an empty courtyard. After doing all of that, shouldn't there have been something of note? Ran around for a while but couldn't find anything. Left a note saying "pointless?" that got quite a few rates, so I guess I wasn't the only one.

If the roll invincibility from DrkS1 was still in the game it might be fun. As it is right now the bosses have a huge amount of health that you have to whittle away. I like coop cause the alternative seems to be kiting and just patience, which in my opinion exploit the AI far more than just having a buddy there to help out.

I agree with your observation on the boss battles since that has been my strategy for almost every single one. Two hits then shield up on repeat until the boss is dead. But I just can't shake the feeling of not getting the full experience unless I go solo. It forces to keep track of all my enemies and manage my resources more efficiently. But I can definitely see coop being fun. Alway is and I'll most likely give it a try on NG+

DrTeflon

Some help would be awesome. I am currently facing two bosses

Lost Sinner and that chariot dude

I felt like I hit a wall, cant kill them at all, tried far too many times. I there anyway I can go to get some souls, better equip? I'm using
Heides Sword +4
but I feel It doesnt have enough power right now? I'm at 30 str and 20 dex iirc.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
How do you turn human again? Burning an effigy at a bonfire doesn't do shit. I need to summon someone to help me kill
the last giant
My health is so low that he can wipe me out in one hit and I'm about sick of this shit. Compared to the first game, they did a really shitty job of balancing the early stages.

Booties

Banned
I only got to play for an hour yesterday and I didn't even get past the training ground. Spent way too much time trying to kill that giant armadillo thing. Rolling in this game feels less responsive even when naked. That armadillo has crazy huge claws. I can't tell if it's the tight space or if the claws' hit box is hard. Either way, I spent a lot of time dying to him already. Can't wait to get done work for the day and play all night long.

Corpekata

Banned
Some help would be awesome. I am currently facing two bosses

Lost Sinner and that chariot dude

I felt like I hit a wall, cant kill them at all, tried far too many times. I there anyway I can go to get some souls, better equip? I'm using
Heides Sword +4
but I feel It doesnt have enough power right now? I'm at 30 str and 20 dex iirc.

There should be a lot of paths in the Copse that led you to the chariot boss. Though you should probably be able to handle Lost Sinner with your gear/ stats. I have similar, though I did have the Heides Spear insted of Sword, so the extra reach probably helped. Have you fought the Skeleton Lords? They're one of the Copse bosses and more manageable than those two at least.

Sakura

How do you turn human again? Burning an effigy at a bonfire doesn't do shit. I need to summon someone to help me kill
the last giant
My health is so low that he can wipe me out in one hit and I'm about sick of this shit. Compared to the first game, they did a really shitty job of balancing the early stages.

You need to use effigies, not burn them.

gonna try to ask again

Picked Knight, want to go for a Strength build with probably Faith as well, just wondering which stats I should focus on along with what to specifically pump early on?

I'm gonna try to find a cool giant sword to use probably, or maybe some kind of polearm and/or mace and shield.

Any suggestions?

DrTeflon

There should be a lot of paths in the Copse that led you to the chariot boss. Though you should probably be able to handle Lost Sinner with your gear/ stats. I have similar, though I did have the Heides Spear insted of Sword, so the extra reach probably helped. Have you fought the Skeleton Lords? They're one of the Copse bosses and more manageable than those two at least.

I did not. I saw some skelletons but got into a sort of dead end, gonna search more, the path I took was the one there's a huge black phantom with a big ass sword on the door and I got my ass handed to him a thousand times, thanks!

ell, now boss give you a shitload of soul so you simply need to do some coop and the respawn stop beeing a problem.

True, grinding is still there for the dedicated. But in DaS you could grind anywhere any time (with some places obviously being better than others), all you needed was a bonfire and some enemies. This theoretically makes souls more of a finite resource and I think that's a good thing.

Rolfgang

the last giant

You must use the effigy as an item, not burn it at a bonfire. If you burn it, you'll lower the chance that you'll be invaded.

Corpekata

Banned
I like to summon the NPC phantoms so I will generally take them if I know there is a sign/ I'm human anyway. They add a bit of flavor and, going by DS1, possibly could offer some sort of reward or at least story. Generally try to go solo otherwise.

I've only found 2 so far though.

Shinjica

the last giant

People really need to read what they do instead of blindly click X

Ourobolus

Banned
There was also a place at the long staircase with the three undeads standing at the bottom that leads into an empty courtyard. After doing all of that, shouldn't there have been something of note? Ran around for a while but couldn't find anything. Left a note saying "pointless?" that got quite a few rates, so I guess I wasn't the only one.

I think that staircase heading down leads you to the gate where Pate was sitting and telling you that "the gate shuts behind you, good luck." I think it's basically just a small shortcut.

Shinjica

True, grinding is still there for the dedicated. But in DaS you could grind anywhere any time (with some places obviously being better than others), all you needed was a bonfire and some enemies. This theoretically makes souls more of a finite resource and I think that's a good thing.

This in theory but not in practice. i repeat you can simply farm boss online and you'll have much more souls than farming in DaS. The drawback is that you cannot farm item from normal mobs this time and, for me which is important, the atmosphere of the game lost something when the map is empty.

mxgt

Banned
Skeleton Lords
was an intense fight, especially when those god damn
wheel skeleton assholes
showed up. Painful memories resurrected.

xPhinehas

the last giant

I disagree, I beat that boss first try without any help. I would recommend reading descriptions of every item you pick up to make sure you don't miss anything.

Are you supposed to have a white soapstone right away? I haven't found one.

From Majula I went straight to
Heide Tower of Flame
and fought
the 2 bosses there (Cathedral of Blue and the guy with the shield)
and I continued on to the place where you meet
Lucatiel
. Am I on the right track here? Is there not a set order you're supposed to do things? I assumed as long as I was able to beat the enemies in the area I was going the right way (sort of like DS1).

makatk

Banned
after watching some videos , it dawned on me that the only genre that can actually benfit from the "inspired by dark souls TM" is survival horror .
if you look at the controls in dark souls , i think it can be considered "tank control " and the aspect of exploration and mystery solving , but with a modern setting with firearms . like a more action parasite eve

This in theory but not in practice. i repeat you can simply farm boss online and you'll have much more souls than farming in DaS. The drawback is that you cannot farm item from normal mobs this time and, for me which is important, the atmosphere of the game lost something when the map is empty.

But the systems aren't the same because one relies on others players aka something you doesn't have control over. Boss grinding is easy now because everyone is playing through the game, but what about in six months?

Celegus

I think that staircase heading down leads you to the gate where Pate was sitting and telling you that "the gate shuts behind you, good luck." I think it's basically just a small shortcut.

Yeah, he's on the other side of the gate sitting there. I couldn't find a way to open the gate though, from either side. He just repeats the "Good luck out there, I've heard there's bandits" line.

emb

Loving this game so far! I spent all day yesterday playing it, made some decent progress. I'm stuck on a boss now (
Lost Sinner, or I can go back to Heide's and fight another boss
. Can't wait to get off work and play some more. It's gonna be hard not to lurk this thread all day. I want to keep discovering things for myself (with blood and tears :D) like yesterday.

When you kill regular enemies 15 times they stop respawning. I like the mechanic, grinding to become overleveled always felt like a way to cheese the game in DS and DaS. This at least makes it more difficult. There is a way to make enemies respawn though.
I feel like I'm cheesing the game way harder than grinding though. After a while it just kinda let's you go straight through to the boss with no effort. 'Yay, I died a bunch. Looks like I get a free pass!' is what it feels like to me. :(

Granted, maybe I should just try playing better and dying less.

Sephzilla

i think it can be considered "tank control "

I dunno about that. Demons/Dark Souls controls pretty similarly to your typical 3D Zelda game or most third person action games like Devil May Cry (just at a slower pace).

I think the one genre/franchise that could benefit from being inspired by Dark Souls is the Legend of Zelda franchise. Not necessarily in the punishingly difficult way (although Zelda games have gotten stupid easy over the years), but in terms of level design and weapon variety.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I beat
mirror knight
on my first try yesterday. EU servers aren't up, so that definitely was a factor :p

Now I'm going crazy dodging
homing soul arrows in the water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom