• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was killing some turtle knights and one of them dropped their armor for me! It has 150+ defenses but is super heavy. Into the item box it goes.

Is Maiden in Black back in this?

Soul of the Mind Key To Life's Ether >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hail Mary, Our Father

This game's version of her is emerald. And she doesn't respawn so don't kill her!

Raide

From Reddit:

Honestly the best thing to do with friends I've found is purchase the Name-Engraved Ring from the cat in Majula for ~5000 souls.
All you have to do to connect to each other is put the ring on, select the same deity and within 30 seconds you'll be seeing your friend's summon sign.
What's cool about it is that as long as you have that ring on you wont see ANYBODY else's summon signs unless they also have the ring on with the same deity as you. Also works the other way where nobody will see your sign unless they have it on as well.

Interesting. Thanks!

image12juyl.png

4920194_319efab1548c87lu8t.gif

Only thing I'm probably going to have to wait until Sunday until I can play it! [praising explodes!]

Sakura

Ok like 5 minutes in

I got the torch right at the start but i can't find it anywhere in my inventory wth?

It's not an item in your inventory, it's a timer on your equipment screen. Go to a bonfire, press Y or Triangle, and choose light torch.

Yu Narukami

What should I do? Buy this game first and enjoy the online community and buy the prequel after and hope that there are people still playing it or buy the prequel first? Are people still playing the first one now that Dark Souls 2 has released?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What should I do? Buy this game first and enjoy the online community and buy the prequel after and hope that there are people still playing it or buy the prequel first? Are people still playing the first one now that Dark Souls 2 has released?

At this point there's seriously no point to worry about the multiplayer aspects of dark souls other than co-op. So just buy it for the singleplayer.

Raide

Have u played any of the Souls games? If not, I would get Dark Souls 1 and see how you get on. Way cheaper now, so if you don't really enjoy it, you're not dropping so much cash on it.

Yu Narukami

Have u played any of the Souls games? If not, I would get Dark Souls 1 and see how you get on. Way cheaper now, so if you don't really enjoy it, you're not dropping so much cash on it.

I played a few hours, stopped playing at the time because of lack of time.

Mutombo

So, just ran into the pursuer and I think it's a bit too... soon? Shall I wait and go somewhere else, (and if so, any hints?)

Actually, I think I'm about to get a 50% health penalty when I deal with the pursuer, so I just answered myself.

Raide

I played a few hours, stopped playing at the time because of lack of time.

Both games need time invested into them to get the best out of them. They are full of so many things that need to be found, plus the constant rebuilding of characters and trying new things as you get better, needs even more time.

I would still say Dark Souls 1 and put in a few more hours and see how you get on. DS2 does seem to have better connection options and everyone will still be running around at the start, so you would have a better chance in co-op if that's your thing. :D

Just polished off the
Old Sinner
. Toughest boss so far. Tried a few times with phantoms then I tried a few times solo due to running out of Human Effigy. Got em on my like 7th solo try. Trick is to
stay real close to him

Ever since I've been putting down my sign to help people beat him. Wish people would run trough the water area right to the fog gate instead of fighting all the dudes on the way. A few times I got the
Channeler's Trident
dance off mid battle due to the rest of the group being good.

Now I'm at a cross roads. Do I stick with my +5 mace or try to find a new weapon. The mace is buck nasty right now.

Clevinger

Question: Is player matching still based on soul level? I thought they changed it so it matches based on total souls earned.

IIRC there are supposedly a number of factors, including soul level, equipment, how much time doing PVP, and possibly souls earned and deaths.

So some level 1 dude with amazing equipment who invades a bunch will more likely get matched up with other PVPers instead of some newbie who's minding his own business and having a ton of trouble. Pretty sure those types of matches can still happen, but they're just lower in the multiplayer queue.

What's the deal with titanite? I've found almost no large ones, and haven't found any small titanite pieces in hours and hours. With enemy farming gone, there's gotta be a finite amount of the stuff, right? Do the merchants ever restock?

cheezcake

Wow I just realised that from Manjula I went directly to
Forest of Fallen giants and finished the Lost Bastille/Luna Belfry
completely missing
the Tower of Flame

LordCanti

This game goes....and goes....and goeeeesssssss.

Near end game question:

I got the ring from Vendrick (didn't kill him, not sure if I have to) and I opened the gate that leads to the area with the huge dragon skeleton thing. I got to a dragon boss. Do I need to do any of this to see the endgame? I kind of just want to see the end of the game at this point. Not sure if there is some other gate that I was supposed to go through.

What's the deal with titanite? I've found almost no large ones, and haven't found any small titanite pieces in hours and hours. With enemy farming gone, there's gotta be a finite amount of the stuff, right? Do the merchants ever restock?

Short answer, yes.

Mild merchant spoilers:
A certain merchant will progressively get unlimited stock for regular/large Titanite shards and chunks as the player progresses through the game.

Arcayne

Damn these weak eyeballs, feeling all tired and stuff. Scrubs!
Ended my session by rerolling to Cleric from Knight, demolished both FotG bosses on my first go, stumbled upon this crazy place:
Heidi's Tower of Flame, but I bailed out, lol
, co-oped for the first time ever, cracked red eye orb for decent pvp and then landing at my next location:
Lost Bastille
. Such a good second day of gaming, I'm bawling with tears of joyyy

Curious, are there any str/faith scaling weapons early on? The maces short-range and non-thrusting is killing me. Resorting to Bastard Sword for now.

Short answer, yes.

Mild merchant spoilers:
A certain merchant will progressively get unlimited stock for regular/large Titanite shards and chunks as the player progresses through the game.

Rad! Thanks. Souls may be limited, but that doesn't worry me nearly as much as having limited titanite. Now that i know I can get more later, I can use some! Im about a third of the way through and I haven't upgraded a single thing >_>

can someone explain to me how dual wielding is supposed to work? i see no advantage to using this instead of a shield.

With a weapon in each hand, hold Triangle to enter Power Stance. You need 1.5x the stat requirements for both weapons, otherwise you'll end up two handing the left hand weapon instead. And both weapons must be the same type(strike, thrust, etc).

In power stance, L1 attack is something like 20% stronger, but the L2 attack is 100% stronger. I read these % some pages ago or on Reddit but I might be misremembering the numbers.

Mutombo

OK seriously, is the pursuer a viable option after the first boss? I am level 32, using the Haile Sword, and am dead in two hits because of the 50% health.

I do not have internet. :(

OK seriously, is the pursuer a viable option after the first boss? I am level 32, using the Haile Sword, and am dead in two hits because of the 50% health.

Drop your sign in front of the giant's boss door or bonfire and you can earn back humanity by helping someone out. This way you can be back to 100% HP without having to use an effigy.

Oops didn't see you have no internet. Uhh, use an effigy or come back later.

Sakura

Do you have a shield? I just blocked his hits and then hit him when he was open.

NIN90

Bait his charge attack, roll to the right, slash once or twice. Rinse and repeat.

Can you damage friendly phantoms that you summon?

Well, I got killed by (2nd Boss in Forest of Giants)
the ballistas twice so far.
:(

Mutombo

I have a shield but blocking doesn't really seem to be a good option because it drains stamina and I need to roll or hit afterward.

Kerned

Banned
I feel like this hasn't got a definitive answer yet, so I'm throwing it out there again. Why would one choose to use a small soapstone over a large one? I know that you apparently stay summoned for a shorter period of time or maybe for only a few kills, but when would that be an advantage? Also, why as a summoning player would I ever choose a small summon sign over a large one? I'm still pretty early in the game, and maybe it becomes more obvious later on, but it's something I'm confused by.

ScribbleD

Perfectly viable. It'll be much easier with a shield. The only thing you have to watch for with the shield is his own shield bash - it'll deplete all of your stamina. Circle strafing totally avoids his unblockable curse attack and another one of his attacks giving you some nice openings.

If you don't have a shield there's really no advice for him aside from don't bother popping an effigy. Just get used to the timings and dodge. Only use the effigy when you feel reasonably comfortable with your ability to dodge.

I have a shield but blocking doesn't really seem to be a good option because it drains stamina and I need to roll or hit afterward.

His single hit attacks should leave you with just enough stamina to counter without running totally dry. If you can't dodge the combos then you'll just have to eat them with your shield and wait for a better opportunity to hit him. Just hug him tight and circle strafe. He has a couple of attacks that will just totally whiff like that.

Sakura

This tower place is ridiculous. I put my summon sign down, then it just says summon sign disappeared. Then a minute later I get invaded, and while I'm fighting the one guy I get invaded by another guy. And the lag during the fight is so ridiculous that he just teleports behind me and backstabs me.

I feel like this hasn't got a definitive answer yet, so I'm throwing it out there again. Why would one choose to use a small soapstone over a large one? I know that you apparently stay summoned for a shorter period of time or maybe for only a few kills, but when would that be an advantage? Also, why as a summoning player would I ever choose a small summon sign over a large one? I'm still pretty early in the game, and maybe it becomes more obvious later on, but it's something I'm confused by.

I dunno about the large soapstone, but when I use the small one and help defeat the boss, I get a Smooth & Shiny Stone which I can trade at the crow's nest in the tutorial area. So far, I've gotten a whip, white ring, titanite shard, and Demon's Great Hammer.

Mutombo

Perfectly viable. It'll be much easier with a shield. The only thing you have to watch for with the shield is his own shield bash - it'll deplete all of your stamina. Circle strafing totally avoids his unblockable curse attack and another one of his attacks giving you some nice openings.

If you don't have a shield there's really no advice for him aside from don't bother popping an effigy. Just get used to the timings and dodge. Only use the effigy when you feel reasonably comfortable with your ability to dodge.

Buckler good enough shield? It's that or large leather shield...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Early/mid game questions about allies:
I got one ally in the level with the 3 sentinels, but how can I summon her?

I don't think the random enemies are particularly easier, it's more the bosses so far. In Dark Souls, bosses like the Gargoyles, Fat and Slim, Capra, etc probably killed me at least 10 times each on average. Numerous times I had to stop playing for a bit because it was frustrating, then I'd have to go look at guides etc and try to figure out how to beat them. But so far, 6 of the 7 bosses I've beaten in Dark Souls 2, all I did was circle around them with my shield up, and attack when they were inbetween attacks. 4 of them I beat on my first try and without even getting hit.
So for me, I'm finding the game pretty easy. Heck, I've probably only died like 5 times or so total. I feel like they've made the game easier, while giving you options to make it more difficult from the start if you want to, such as burning that item or joining that covenant for example.
That probably has more to do with the fact that you are already familiar with the Souls gameplay. I had huge problems while playing Dark Souls and than later basically blazed through Demons Souls, killing Flamelurker, Maneaters and the False King in the first attempt.

ScribbleD

Buckler good enough shield? It's that or large leather shield...

IIRC large leather blocks 100% of physical damage so if you're worried about him chipping you down through the shield go with that. I don't remember which has better stability. I went with large leather for that fight. You can pick up a really nice shield after the boss is dead. The drangleic gear is just passed the fog gate at the opposite end of the room

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This tower place is ridiculous. I put my summon sign down, then it just says summon sign disappeared. Then a minute later I get invaded, and while I'm fighting the one guy I get invaded by another guy. And the lag during the fight is so ridiculous that he just teleports behind me and backstabs me.
Bell Keepers is the new forest covenant haha

Mutombo

IIRC large leather blocks 100% of physical damage so if you're worried about him chipping you down through the shield go with that. I don't remember which has better stability. I went with large leather for that fight. You can pick up a really nice shield after the boss is dead. The drangleic gear is just passed the fog gate at the opposite end of the room

Thanks. Large leather is not 100% so he does some chip damage, but here goes.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I think he's easier to roll than block, but if you absolutely can't win you can nearly 1-shot him with the ballista if you play solo.

Anyone else suffering motion sickness?

I have 100+ hours in Dark Souls, about the same in Demon's Souls, and neither of those games give me any problems at all.

Wondering if the FoV is different in DS2 or something similar...

Mana Sin

Anyone else suffering motion sickness?

I have 100+ hours in Dark Souls, about the same in Demon's Souls, and neither of those games give me any problems at all.

Wondering if the FoV is different in DS2 or something similar...

I tend to get motion sickness fairly easily (I have to avoid most first-person games) but Dark Souls 2 hasn't really had that effect on me. Not yet, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom