• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
PS3 player here, couldn't get a single player summon to work last night. Kept getting "The player sign is no longer there" or something like that. What gives? Server issues?

People get summoned very quickly. A lot of times when you go to summon someone someone else already beat you to it.

Tirod

PS3 player here, couldn't get a single player summon to work last night. Kept getting "The player sign is no longer there" or something like that. What gives? Server issues?

Summons are almost instant. Not a server issue, someone just beat you to the summoning punch. The multiplayer is THAT active.

NIN90

Regarding Covenants:
I tried both the Rat King covenant and the Blue Sentinels with their respective rings but I haven't been summoned even once so far through them. Am I missing something?

I can PM you a spoiler for the location of the great staff I'm using if you need it, it helped me a lot.

Can you please PM me where to get the staff as well? :)

Also, I thought they changed it so that holding the staff in both hands would increase magic damage, but it doesn't. D:

Tawpgun

Starting this tonight after work. Does the starting class not matter much like in Dark Souls?

I'm gonna go sword and board like always for the first playthrough. Is Pyromancy still in the game?

Tirod

Regarding Covenants:
I tried both the Rat King covenant and the Blue Sentinels with their respective rings but I haven't been summoned even once so far through them. Am I missing something?

The invader population simply isn't there yet. There will eventually be more jerks like me out there for you to try and kill, but at this point most people are still trying to simply conquer the game.

Man I didn't realize that (earlyish boss spoiler)
Ornstein
would give people so much trouble. I got summoned about 10 times over my lunch break and only had one success. Weird. (And I only flubbed up once, trying to heal the bro I was helping and thought I was out of range. Nope.)

Random build question: I'm a Swordsman at Lvl 40. I've upped my Str and Dex so I can dual wield Falchion, and the rest of my points are in a smattering of Vig, Vit, End, and Adp. I was initially planning on upgrading my Int and Atn once I found a catalyst and be a battle mage of sorts. But the sorcerers seem to be having trouble? Is it worth it to even try the battle mage scenario or should I just go straight up Dex with bows for range instead?

LProtag

What armor is everyone using? Drangelic is really nice but too heavy for me now. Might try the Knight set. Is it worth upgrading some if I'm not sure what I'm going to use yet?

What rings is everyone using at this point?

My staple has been:
Ring of Restoration
Covetous Silver Serpent
Giants +1
Ring of Blades

Giant Ring
Cloranthy Ring
Ring of Blades
Covetous Silver Serpent Ring

What armor is everyone using? Drangelic is really nice but too heavy for me now. Might try Knights armor. Is it worth upgrading some if I'm not sure what I'm going to use yet?
Still wearing my starting priest robes with knight's gauntlets and leggings and Heide's Helmet.

I'm level 60 and my best weapon is still a halberd +3.
0Cmnv.png

NIN90

Any use for Token of Fidelity aside from the healing aspect? Like for leveling up a Covenant or anything?

Yes.
Concrete answer:
They allow you to use the sparring PVP in the Blue Sentinels covenant. Maybe there are even more uses.

I'd like to give thanks to From Software for making whips useful this time. I got the whip from the beginning of the game and am kickin' ass with it.

Where do you get the whip at? I thought it was from leaving the petrified something in the nest, but I got a spear or something.

Man I didn't realize that (earlyish boss spoiler)
Ornstein
would give people so much trouble. I got summoned about 10 times over my lunch break and only had one success. Weird. (And I only flubbed up once, trying to heal the bro I was helping and thought I was out of range. Nope.)

Random build question: I'm a Swordsman at Lvl 40. I've upped my Str and Dex so I can dual wield Falchion, and the rest of my points are in a smattering of Vig, Vit, End, and Adp. I was initially planning on upgrading my Int and Atn once I found a catalyst and be a battle mage of sorts. But the sorcerers seem to be having trouble? Is it worth it to even try the battle mage scenario or should I just go straight up Dex with bows for range instead?

Im actually doing fine with my INT build. Found the Bone Catalyst which has A scaling in Dark. Im using the Fire Long Sword which also scales in INT now. Beat 6 bosses so far with the build.

Zeliard

I've poured over the Character Sheet in-game and switched status screens god knows how many times, and I don't see a dedicated stat. Only a buff under your health/stamina with the silver serpent assuming you popped a rusted coin or are wearing a piece of gear that raises item discovery.

Yeah it's a bizarre change, since the stat clearly still exists.

Also annoying is that vendor screens no longer show the difference in point values between the gear you can buy and the gear you're currently wearing.

And if you're navigating between weapons in your own inventory, you just get changes in base damage rather than having it also take into account stat scaling.

I'm confounded by these changes, since they just make things far less convenient rather than adding anything.

koryuken

What armor is everyone using? Drangelic is really nice but too heavy for me now. Might try the Knight set. Is it worth upgrading some if I'm not sure what I'm going to use yet?

If you spend 2,000 souls at the armor merchant, you can buy the Elite Knight Set

Elite Knight Set (see avatar)

Good, but not great.

I'm level 77 and my best weapon is the dlc mace +2.

I'm struggling to find a high damage weapon that fits my needs.

Hey man, at least you have DLC. I bought the black armor edition on PSN and still no DLC lol.

dalekjay

When you die certain number of times in a area, some enemies down respawn...Are From Software calling me noob? I plat demon and Dark souls, and working o demon Jap...

Or is just happening to me?

There are so many enemies in this game that just seem to absorb magic damage. The old knights in the
tower area
, the dark stalkers at the
wharf
, it feels like each area has large enemies that take 5+ soul arrows, even with 40 INT, and it's not like there's just one or two of these enemies, they are all over the place. In general I don't feel like I've gotten very much stronger since the start of the game, even after putting that many points to INT. I upgraded my staff a couple of times, but the staff I have is still the one I started the game with. I never felt like this in Dark Souls 1, I felt like magic in that game was perfectly balanced against the bonfire placement and enemy distribution between bonfires, as well as the magic equipment available throughout. Add to this the dearth of interesting spells at the point I am (I finally found a sorcery vendor and
he just had several more versions of soul arrow that don't seem to do dramatically more damage than great soul arrow, an incredibly situational version of soul spear, and the starter staff.
) I just don't feel like magic is something the developers of this game really cared about. I hope that changes as I get further, because I'm determined to finish the game as a sorcery user, but I'm really feeling like I've got the short end of the stick.

kidding aside, I NEED to know the answer to this, the Royal in demons souls was the only way i could even get as far as i did in that game, i intend to spam spells to my hearts content, well clear of danger..if its practical..it'd suck if they really skewed this towards physical violence.

Filth

I'm using the jester armor set lol. With a +6 ultra great sword. Sl 50-60

Each jester piece has it's own buff. Pretty awesome

koryuken

BTW, to people having problems getting souls because the enemies are gone -- do some coop. You get 5,000 souls for beating the boss. I played for 15 minutes doing the
Old Dragonslayer
and gained 50,000 souls. This is almost faster to level than fighting those forest guys in DS.

nynt9

kidding aside, I NEED to know the answer to this, the Royal in demons souls was the only way i could even get as far as i did in that game, i intend to spam spells to my hearts content, well clear of danger..if its practical..it'd suck if they really skewed this towards physical violence.

I just got a staff that lets me cast both hexes and magic, and the vendor for hexes, and it feels great. Also
pyromancy
is still a thing.

So have any of the hardcore PvP dudes said much about how good/bad PvP is yet?

I was watching some of the known PvP'rs yesterday on Twitch. Nelson an Oroboro. The Covenant Arena's are pretty great. They can just get duels non stop. From What I've seen it looks great. Missing a lot of the cheese from dark souls. Everything seems to have a good counter. It's still early of course but I think it's a good start.

LProtag

Also am I too high a level for the
wharf
right now? I'm already 60 and I feel like I've been leveling way too fast, but I'm just trying to make sure I can use and equip all the stuff I want.

I have a similar question. I've been using mainly my bow and Dex weapons because I like the range, but I would like to use pyromamcy for more powerful enemies I come across and pvp. But from what I'm hearing magic isn't that great? I'm not sure.

Im actually doing fine with my INT build. Found the Bone Catalyst which has A scaling in Dark. Im using the Fire Long Sword which also scales in INT now. Beat 6 bosses so far with the build.

Shit, Fire scales with Int? Dammit the fire sword has been my backup dual wielding weapon to my Falchion/Scimitar combo. Guess I might as well start dumping souls into Int too. Thanks!

Marcel

Quick question. I've just beat the
Scorpioness
and I think I may have missed Huntsman's Copse/Harvest Valley etc. How do I get there? I have good amount of bonfires lit so transportation is no issue.

Also am I too high a level for the
wharf
right now? I'm already 60 and I feel like I've been leveling way too fast, but I'm just trying to make sure I can use and equip all the stuff I want.

Your not too high but you should have a much easier time with the area than I did ( I was around lvl 43).

koryuken

There are so many enemies in this game that just seem to absorb magic damage. The old knights in the
tower area
, the dark stalkers at the
wharf
, it feels like each area has large enemies that take 5+ soul arrows, even with 40 INT, and it's not like there's just one or two of these enemies, they are all over the place. In general I don't feel like I've gotten very much stronger since the start of the game, even after putting that many points to INT. I upgraded my staff a couple of times, but the staff I have is still the one I started the game with. I never felt like this in Dark Souls 1, I felt like magic in that game was perfectly balanced against the bonfire placement and enemy distribution between bonfires, as well as the magic equipment available throughout. Add to this the dearth of interesting spells at the point I am (I finally found a sorcery vendor and
he just had several more versions of soul arrow that don't seem to do dramatically more damage than great soul arrow, an incredibly situational version of soul spear, and the starter staff.
) I just don't feel like magic is something the developers of this game really cared about. I hope that changes as I get further, because I'm determined to finish the game as a sorcery user, but I'm really feeling like I've got the short end of the stick.

Have you upgraded your staff? In this game, upgrading the catalyst increases spell damage...

Corpekata

Banned
Quick question. I've just beat the
Scorpioness
and I think I may have missed Huntsman's Copse/Harvest Valley etc. How do I get there? I have good amount of bonfires lit so transportation is no issue.

Miracle vendor will be in homebase in the cavern toward Heide's and she'll operate the contraption in there for 2k souls. Think that's the only way in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom