• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that kind of annoys me about the Souls series is I don't feel like they put enough time/effort into magic. Not really the spells themselves, but like magic armors and weapons. There's tons of different kinds of melee swords, but I've only found one staff (and it's the same one I started the game with). I had a preorder staff that came with the Black Armor edition, but it was worse than the default one off the bat (well, at least early on - it scales slightly better with INT iirc so it's probably better at higher levels of that stat).

Are there any good/light caster gear besides the one you start with?

Artorias

Banned
hey guys question, i am a sorcerer for the first time, is it viable to put some points into END/ Strength along with INT, as i want to be able to sue at least smaller swords and a bit of gear or does that spread too thin? Sorcerer only starts with 3 str.

I always go in between caster and melee, it works really well once you get used to it. I personally went the other way, started as a knight and immediately put all points into attunement and int. I don't think you can go wrong. I do notice pure melee and pure casters doing a lot more damage per hit in coop but I've always played very slow paced anyway.

Just bought the GoD version for 360. Had this game preordered for awhile on Amazon, then cancelled last week with the thought I would wait to get it for $40 or so before long. Been watching plays of this in Twitch, and couldn't resist the temptation anymore.

Now to let it download and go to work for a few hours. Can't wait to dive in when I get off work in a few hours.

Clevinger

So just so I have this straight.. Phantoms are helpers and Shades are PVP battles? I nearly summoned a shade last night when I needed help, but decided not to as it sounded... shady. ;)

david-caruso-gif-sunglasses-1.gif

Nah, both are helpers.

Phantom = no time limit (or much longer time limit) on their summon
Shade = short time limit. Shades can also help you after you've beaten the area boss, IIRC

Invaders don't need you to interact with a sign to invade you.

There are so many enemies in this game that just seem to absorb magic damage. The old knights in the
tower area
, the dark stalkers at the
wharf
, it feels like each area has large enemies that take 5+ soul arrows, even with 40 INT, and it's not like there's just one or two of these enemies, they are all over the place. In general I don't feel like I've gotten very much stronger since the start of the game, even after putting that many points to INT. I upgraded my staff a couple of times, but the staff I have is still the one I started the game with. I never felt like this in Dark Souls 1, I felt like magic in that game was perfectly balanced against the bonfire placement and enemy distribution between bonfires, as well as the magic equipment available throughout. Add to this the dearth of interesting spells at the point I am (I finally found a sorcery vendor and
he just had several more versions of soul arrow that don't seem to do dramatically more damage than great soul arrow, an incredibly situational version of soul spear, and the starter staff.
) I just don't feel like magic is something the developers of this game really cared about. I hope that changes as I get further, because I'm determined to finish the game as a sorcery user, but I'm really feeling like I've got the short end of the stick.

I'm a wizard and thats messed up.

Reading this is disappointing since I am going for the sorcerer build. I am really hoping for a new staff/wand or at least a weapon that uses INT.

There are so many enemies in this game that just seem to absorb magic damage. The old knights in the
tower area
, the dark stalkers at the
wharf
, it feels like each area has large enemies that take 5+ soul arrows, even with 40 INT, and it's not like there's just one or two of these enemies, they are all over the place. In general I don't feel like I've gotten very much stronger since the start of the game, even after putting that many points to INT. I upgraded my staff a couple of times, but the staff I have is still the one I started the game with. I never felt like this in Dark Souls 1, I felt like magic in that game was perfectly balanced against the bonfire placement and enemy distribution between bonfires, as well as the magic equipment available throughout. Add to this the dearth of interesting spells at the point I am (I finally found a sorcery vendor and
he just had several more versions of soul arrow that don't seem to do dramatically more damage than great soul arrow, an incredibly situational version of soul spear, and the starter staff.
) I just don't feel like magic is something the developers of this game really cared about. I hope that changes as I get further, because I'm determined to finish the game as a sorcery user, but I'm really feeling like I've got the short end of the stick.

Hrmm. Thanks for stopping my eventual pure sorcery build straight in its tracks...

From just reminding people that they don't want you playing the game as a mage. Souls is and always will be a game based on melee, for better or for worse. Magic is an afterthought. I personally think miracles are better implemented.

So just so I have this straight.. Phantoms are helpers and Shades are PVP battles? I nearly summoned a shade last night when I needed help, but decided not to as it sounded... shady. ;)

david-caruso-gif-sunglasses-1.gif

Nah shades are the same as phantoms. They're just on a timer instead of disappearing after a boss is defeated. Shades get different rewards too.

Zeliard

That feeling when you and another phantom help a player beat a boss and all three of you do the War Cry gesture at the same time :p

Tirod

Dude they seriously hid a whole area behind a lockstone? I need that key but I'm not sure if I have anymore lockstones. I'm gonna have to track one down and then go get the key.

If you are using the key to get to
McDuff in Bastille
you don't need it period. :) There's another solution very close by you could take advantage of.

The key also opens
2 doors in another area
but the prizes within aren't as essential as a
blacksmith

If you still insist on getting the key however, go explore a new area! I had 12 Pharros Lockstones on me at once at a certain point, since I was exploring other places. That's the benefit of having a warp option to every bonfire.

Artorias

Banned
I'm starting to wonder if I should move on from my Humunculous Mace (+3), I feel like more upgrades might go to waste when I find a better one. Any recommendations?

I've just killed (7th boss for me)
The Lost Sinner
. I'm sure I missed treasure, or would it be better to upgrade a standard weapon from the blacksmith? I was thinking of putting a few points in Dex so I can one hand the Drangleic Sword. Kind of slow animations though, I'm used to moving a bit faster.

blackflag

The Falchion is what I'd personally consider the best option for Dex until later weapons, yes. DAT SCALING.

Keep it upgraded too, you'll be surprised how much damage it does.

Ok then I guess I'll be alright. I've been upgrading it and it's at like +5 until I find more large shards. I do like it but durability goes to shit fast.

If you are using the key to get to
McDuff in Bastille
you don't need it period. :) There's another solution very close by you could take advantage of.

The key also opens
2 doors in another area
but the prizes within aren't as essential as a
blacksmith

I'd say that the advantage I gained with the key via those two other doors was a lot better than that
blacksmith, considering I don't even have an ember yet.
:/

convo

What spells are people using for their sorcerers? Are you using the classic ones from DS or are also using pyromancys and hexes? All three categories seem to be alot closer than they were in the first game. I honestly think sorcerers will use every type of spell now with the exception of certain miracles.

Tirod

I'd say that the advantage I gained with the key via those two other doors was a lot better than that
blacksmith, considering I don't even have an ember yet.
:/

Different strokes for different folks.

Regardless I'd go for the key, if only to explore more of the game's geography and online participation.

My plan was to focus on bow, but now i think I'd like to get into some pyromancy. Can anyone convince me to stick to my original bow idea or would switching to a more INT build be a good idea?

Also how do you switch between your 2 different arrows? I see both icons under the bow icon, but not sure how to switch them on the fly.

Corpekata

Banned
My plan was to focus on bow, but now i think I'd like to get into some pyromancy. Can anyone convince me to stick to my original bow idea or would switching to a more INT build be a good idea?

Also how do you switch between your 2 different arrows? I see both icons under the bow icon, but not sure how to switch them on the fly.

L1 fires primary, L2 fires secondary (at least for me when when I have it equipped in left hand).

Ferrio

Banned
Really love dual wielding. Can't wait to slap some status ailments on these puppies.

Also I need to stop reading this thread... :(

sixghost

Why is that a good thing, unless it's related to PvP? And if so, I don't know why that has to affect anything in the single-player game. I don't care about PvP at all, and of course PvP also doesn't have much to do with the kinds of enemies they put in the areas. The game loves to swarm you with smaller enemies, and these situations can be difficult but they're managable with good planning as a sorcerer. I don't have a problem with these. But then they throw several of these larger enemies that take very little damage from magic at me and I'm not sure exactly what they expect me to do. I usually manage by doing something silly, like throwing out yearn and hoping they fall off an edge (and they often do), but I feel like this is really cheap and not intended. But at the same time, it's often the only way I'm going to prevail without running out of magic charges. And amber herbs are way too expensive for how few charges they restore.

My advice is to get your dex/str up to the point where you can use a decent weapon. If you really want to pump INT, two-hand your weapon to cut the STR you need in half. My STR is at 6 and and DEX at 13 so I can use the Falchion, which is a decent weapon, especially combined with your huge INT magic weapon sorcery. You also need to raise HP, END, and ADP up to a respectable level so that you aren't getting crushed the second you start fighting with your sword.

This style makes you more adaptable in my opinion, which is huge in these games. I've killed just as many bosses with my sword as I have with magic, despite having invested way more points into INT than any of the traditional melee stats.

Ugh I'm doing really poorly at the game at the moment, just keep dying over and over to any old thing.

Feel like I'm playing NG++ or something. :(

Never had this much trouble with DS or DaS starting out.

What is a good weapon I can invest in that will help me out a bit?

T.O.P

Banned
Did i get it wrong or someone was talking about a covenant that gives Titanite shards as you help people/kill invaders?

Eleuin

Now that you have the
Soldier's Key, there are doors in the Forest that were previously unopenable. They are down the ladder, on either side of the bonfire with the old lady merchant, one behind that huge knight blocking a passage and the other is past the laying down undead and undead patrolling on bridge, in the room that leads to the outside area. I haven't tried either door yet, but I'm certain one of them leads to that boss.

thanks I found him but I've been dying repeatedly now lol

Ferrio

Banned
Ugh I'm doing really poorly at the game at the moment, just keep dying over and over to any old thing.

Feel like I'm playing NG++ or something. :(

Never had this much trouble with DS or DaS starting out.

Didn't happen to join the company of champions covenant did ya?

Tirod

where the sunbro covenant at in earthen peak ?

It's actually in the area before the Earthen Peak. You know how after you leave the cavern with the second bonfire, proceed forward a bit, and see the two giant dudes hanging out in the poison? Across a wooden bridge is a fatty? Cross the bridge and go left. Continue along the path and you'll find the covenant.

Enjoy the jolly cooperation.

That feeling when you and another phantom help a player beat a boss and all three of you do the War Cry gesture at the same time :p

Yep! I laughed soo hard the first time we all did that. And before we entered the boss fog we are were Rolling the Dice! I could hear the guys cracking up through my headset with chat enabled haha.

Moofers

PS3 player here, couldn't get a single player summon to work last night. Kept getting "The player sign is no longer there" or something like that. What gives? Server issues?

Tirod

Is the item discovery stat noted anywhere like in the first game?

I've poured over the Character Sheet in-game and switched status screens god knows how many times, and I don't see a dedicated stat. Only a buff under your health/stamina with the silver serpent assuming you popped a rusted coin or are wearing a piece of gear that raises item discovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom