• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Roderton

Finally made it to the second forest bonfire and finally my warrior has a worthy sword to use thanks to that asshole sitting under the tree.

Progress.

Tirod

And if you're navigating between weapons in your own inventory, you just get changes in base damage rather than having it also take into account stat scaling.

This has been the most annoying oversight by far. I've settled on my weapon of choice for now, but I was constantly getting new Dex stuff and getting a feel for damage differences, it was incredibly annoying to not be able to easily compare it to my current weapon loadout.

Carcetti

kidding aside, I NEED to know the answer to this, the Royal in demons souls was the only way i could even get as far as i did in that game, i intend to spam spells to my hearts content, well clear of danger..if its practical..it'd suck if they really skewed this towards physical violence.

I got 15 bosses down on my sorceress, pure magic. It's as fun as my melee character so don't worry too much. Just don't count on using pure sorcery as some enemies are resistant. Mix in other magic types.

Marcel

Miracle vendor will be in homebase in the cavern toward Heide's and she'll operate the contraption in there for 2k souls. Think that's the only way in.

Thanks. I hadn't thought to look there since I cleared
Heide's Tower
a long time ago.

Aces&Eights

Ok so my customers at work are getting neglected due to this thread. So if someone would be kind enough to PM me an answer I'd be much obliged. I'm getting game tomorrow. Played both installments in past but memory a little shady. I want a build that let's me roll and use swords also good for a bow. Basically, good damage with a falcion or halbread and good using a bow with heavy pull. What should I build on from the get go? I know str and dex are a must but what else? I use shields early on but once I get going I never use the heavy ones. Would rather roll to dodge and be nimble. How's the dual wielding working? Does it suck up stamina bar? Any suggestions would be so much appreciated. I have anxiety already after reading some of the changes. Please help a lost soul.

Oh, does wanderer come with good gear? Should I do petrified thing at beginning?

Thanks!

Aeana

Have you upgraded your staff? In this game, upgrading the catalyst increases spell damage...
I said right in the message you quoted that I upgraded my staff. It's +3. And I'd say it's the only thing that has appreciably increased my damage, whereas raising INT hasn't felt like it's boosted it much. But I'm working toward the staff that an earlier poster mentioned, and it has B INT scaling, so hopefully that'll help me feel a bit more powerful. I'll re-evaluate everything once I get further in the game.

Ok guys, I've got a real headscratcher for ya if you've gotten this far in the game. I just remembered this bit and being really friggin' confused.

In the area just past the petrified girl on the gate mechanism,
Shaded Woods, there's a tree with a face on it, and when you hit it, it moans but doesn't do anything else.
Anybody have a clue what's up with that?

Can anyone confirm if there is any benefit to *NOT* killing that guy under the tree?

You mean the knight guy? I think he's just there to be a tough enemy a la Black Knight's in DS1.

Tirod

Is there a reliable source for titanite shards and large titanite? I can't upgrade shit and I'm like level 80.

Shards:
The ogres in the Valley area have a chance to drop them. You can buy some from the vendor at the beginning of the Valley area and from the blacksmith in Majula. Otherwise you need to find them on dead hollows/chests

Large Shards:
Aside from finding on dead hollows/chests, there is an infinite supply of them to buy from the blacksmith McDuff once you have given him the Dull Ember.

Despite me not liking the new death penalty system, I am loving this game! Loving some of the areas and enemies a lot more than ds1. I want more badass enemies like the pursuer though.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
There are monsters in
Black Gulch
that spawn out of the ground and drop Titanite occasionally upon death. Use a Rusted Coin and you should get a good haul if you're lucky.

Damn I gotta reach the area.

I was at
Brightstone Cove Tseldora
, not too far?

koryuken

I said right in the message you quoted that I upgraded my staff. It's +3. And I'd say it's the only thing that has appreciably increased my damage, whereas raising INT hasn't felt like it's boosted it much. But I'm working toward the staff that an earlier poster mentioned, and it has B INT scaling, so hopefully that'll help me feel a bit more powerful. I'll re-evaluate everything once I get further in the game.

My bad... yes they nerfed scaling in this game compared to DS. The base damage for anything (spells, weapons, etc) is waaaay more important than scaling. They also nerfed the weapon buffs compared to DS. I think this was a way to make certain weapons more viable.

Marcel

Damn I gotta reach the area.

I was at
Brightstone Cove Tseldora
, not too far?

For the
Black Gulch
, you have to go through both
Grave of Saints (located at the bottom of the well in Majula) and The Gutter (immediately available once you clear the Grave of Saints).
Happy hunting!

dubq

Nah, both are helpers.

Phantom = no time limit (or much longer time limit) on their summon
Shade = short time limit. Shades can also help you after you've beaten the area boss, IIRC

Invaders don't need you to interact with a sign to invade you.

Nah shades are the same as phantoms. They're just on a timer instead of disappearing after a boss is defeated. Shades get different rewards too.

Ahhh, okay then. Thanks for that info. I legit thought summoning a shade was going to be a PVP challenge mode or something. Good to know! :)

My game came in the post today but was savaged by my dog. The case is completely chewed up and the manual is covered in toothmarks but miraculously the disc is unharmed. You could call it The Dark Souls of game deliveries. Anyway pretty hyped to jump into this tonight :D

Shards:
The ogres in the Valley area have a chance to drop them. You can buy some from the vendor at the beginning of the Valley area and from the blacksmith in Majula. Otherwise you need to find them on dead hollows/chests

Large Shards:
Aside from finding on dead hollows/chests, there is an infinite supply of them to buy from the blacksmith McDuff once you have given him the Dull Ember.

Thanks! I was completely baffled at how I could play this game for so long and find so little materials to upgrade my equipment.

Mitama

Cool, I'm playing as a sorcerer too. Where is that staff located?

On another note, my second character's save got corrupted. Shame since I got as far in 4 hours as I did in 12 hours on my sorcerer. Warrior is so much easier haha. Moving my saves from USB to the internal HDD now and hope it won't happen again..

georly

I didn't touch him, so I'll report in at some point on whether it was a good or bad idea.

Me neither. I did on my alt just to see what he had, but he's so sad there. I don't wanna hurt him. I've been secretly hoping he's a sunbro and once i'm a sunbro we just high five every time we see eachother. And then big white text comes across the screen saying 'HIGH FIVE ACCOMPLISHED'

Tirod

Are there enough
Fragrant Branches
to
unpetrify
all the npcs you come across?

I'm not the authority figure in regard to this but I've almost completed the game and seen the majority of areas. As long as you search thoroughly, you will have enough.

Assuming I didn't miss any NPCs, I still have 1 branch chilling in my inventory.

Good, but not great.

I'm level 77 and my best weapon is the dlc mace +2.

I'm struggling to find a high damage weapon that fits my needs.

Have you tried craftsmans hammer? That's my favorite, but deals a bit less damage than my halberd as I cannot upgrade it. The moveset is great too, fast and tight swings.

Ricker

I am just going around in a huge loop with my Swordsman...I reach the 3rd bonfire(well the one with the merchant in a small tent near it,then I die a short way after going down the ladder,around where the room with the ballista's are...respawn at said bonfire,barely reach my souls and die a little later from whatever...respawn...by now my weapons are damaged so I need to spend close to 2,000 souls for a repair,barely leaving me enough souls to level up....

Rinse and repeat...went from level 12 to 16 but thats about it lol...oh well.

Soriku

Just picked it up.

The Black Armor edition doesn't come with the regular game case? :x Kinda disappointed at that.

Is anyone else having trouble putting the disc back into its holder?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So sorcery is nerfed this time around?

I want to start the game with either soul arror or pyrmancy, so that's kind of disappointing if I'm going to struggle. I want to start there because it's an easier ease in!

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, but it seems like
as soon as I kill the first one, the next two come at the same time, so I have to take both of them at once.

Also the path to this boss is annoying as hell.

Told you I'd update you if the strategy I outlined for the Sentinels worked or not and it worked like a charm. Used Lightning Spear and a high-stability greatshield with a lot of poise and I was able to take out the 2nd one at range then move in to kill the third one at close range once I ran out of Lighting Spears.

The Lamp

I haven't been invaded once in the game so far. Can you not invade someone who is undead? I've played the whole game undead so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom