• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any good light armor set that would be ideal for a caster/sorcerer? I'm still using some of the armor I started with. I guess I could just upgrade that instead of worrying about finding new stuff, but ya know. I like to change my armor every now and again just for something new. It's a shame some of the better looking sets are too damn heavy.

isual

Have you tried craftsmans hammer? That's my favorite, but deals a bit less damage than my halberd as I cannot upgrade it. The moveset is great too, fast and tight swings.

that hammer is legit.

fast enough to do damage, strong enough to kill, and great recovery time as well.

Been using it ever since; well, until I can get a stronger version

So sorcery is nerfed this time around?

I want to start the game with either soul arror or pyrmancy, so that's kind of disappointing if I'm going to struggle. I want to start there because it's an easier ease in!

I would say yes. You'll struggle as much as everyone else does. There are a lot more enemies in this game that have a natural resistance to magic, but there's always a way around that, you just have to be a little bit more versatile.

Any good light armor set that would be ideal for a caster/sorcerer? I'm still using some of the armor I started with. I guess I could just upgrade that instead of worrying about finding new stuff, but ya know. I like to change my armor every now and again just for something new. It's a shame some of the better looking sets are too damn heavy.

The best I've found so far is the Wanderer set. I still have the chest piece I started the game with, though. lmao

Scher

Belfry Gargoyles
is an absolutely terrible and unfun boss fight. It's like they looked at the equivalent fight in the original Dark Souls and thought "You know what, let's throw out everything that actually made this fight interesting and turn it into a tedious slog".

Tirod

I haven't been invaded once in the game so far. Can you not invade someone who is undead? I've played the whole game undead so far.

You can be invaded as a hollow. However, being human puts your higher on the "to be invaded" queue.

Not many people are invading since people are still conquering the game for the first time. Give it a week or two and invasions will start to be more common.

There are so many areas in this game! Holy shit! Every time I get stuck I go somewhere else and find 2 brand new areas lol. I can forgive some of the basic geometry and level design simply because there are so many places to go.

Aeana

Cool, I'm playing as a sorcerer too. Where is that staff located?

On another note, my second character's save got corrupted. Shame since I got as far in 4 hours as I did in 12 hours on my sorcerer. Warrior is so much easier haha. Moving my saves from USB to the internal HDD now and hope it won't happen again..
It's from an NPC who's right before Hutsman's Copse, which you can access by finding the cleric NPC down in the path from Majula that leads to the tower. You need 8 INT and 8 Faith for the vendor NPC to even acknowledge you, as a warning.

Clevinger

I haven't been invaded once in the game so far. Can you not invade someone who is undead? I've played the whole game undead so far.

You can, but I believe they're less likely to get chosen for invasion than humans.

Lots of comments in here about not getting invaded. I haven't either after 6 hours playing mostly human. Co-op works perfectly for me, and I invaded someone with the one orb I had and it worked fine.

About PVP, I was playing late last night mostly against Japanese player and I thought I noticed something. Not sure if this is intended or accidental. So in DS we're all familiar with the teleporting due to lag. I haven't seen that at all. But I have had the game slow down for like half a second for both me and the opponent. Is this to combat the lag or was it just framerates dropping? I was just wondering if they set it up where if the servers notice a player lagging they slow movement down for a brief instance to equalize things.

I love how backstabbing is nerfed in this game. It is no longer easy to swivel around enemies to backstab them instantly, as they have much better tracking. Also, you are no longer invincible during the animation! It seems only to be a viable option if you catch the enemy off guard, or they whiff a huge attack.

Anyone else have trouble with being summoned?

I'm able to summon people (haven't tried invading others), but whenever someone tries to summon me, I get a fail notice and the game kicks me out of of online mode completely.

Belfry Gargoyles
is an absolutely terrible and unfun boss fight. It's like they looked at the equivalent fight in the original Dark Souls and thought "You know what, let's throw out everything that actually made this fight interesting and turn it into a tedious slog".

I beat it on the first try and the whole fight was a goddamn nail biter. It's insane what they throw at you. Don't know how I pulled that one off.

Mitama

It's from an NPC who's right before Hutsman's Copse, which you can access by finding the cleric NPC down in the path from Majula that leads to the tower. You need 8 INT and 8 Faith for the vendor NPC to even acknowledge you, as a warning.

Awesome, thanks,
I know the guy, he's sitting in a chair facing the wall. Guess I'll level up my faith!

Grisby

So besides strength, what other stats should I focus on for a sword and shield dude.

Got 12 in dex so I can use this new weapon and have some points in adp (although I can't tell if it really helps. Stamina for more sword swings or should I go for increased carrying load since I'm wearing heavy armor?

Kinda sucks that enemies go extinct but ok the plus side its kind of nice being able to run freely around the environment.

Is anyone else kind of disappointed by the size of some of the areas in the game?
Heide's Tower, No Man's Wharf, Lost Bastille...
a lot of places really don't have that much branching going on.

Heide's Tower
in particular is basically just one long straight shot with a left/right split at the end.

I love how backstabbing is nerfed in this game. It is no longer easy to swivel around enemies to backstab them instantly, as they have much better tracking. Also, you are no longer invincible during the animation! It seems only to be a viable option if you catch the enemy off guard, or they whiff a huge attack.

Interesting

Are there any weapons with really fast backstab animations?

Ourobolus

Banned
When I get crit/backstabs on enemies, I've been invincible.

Haven't tried yet, but I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know.

I've been wondering if it even did anything.
It's supposed to summon people to help you automatically when you're invaded right? 2-3 invasions so far and no help yet. And I haven't been summoned to help anyone either.
Somehow I went up a rank in the covenant though. lol

I've been wondering if it even did anything.
It's supposed to summon people to help you automatically when you're invaded right? 2-3 invasions so far and no help yet. And I haven't been summoned to help anyone either.
Somehow I went up a rank in the covenant though. lol

Which covenant are you thinking of, Way of Blue or Blue Sentinels? Because the former gets summoned help during invasions and the latter are the summoned help.

Is it just me, or is there something seriously wrong with the targeting in this game? Namely the Sinner is where I'm noticing this, he's the only thing in the room, I'm looking directly at him, and I'm not more than five feet away from him, but I click to target him and the game just keeps centering my camera.

Got a couple questions:

Anyone know where to find a whip? I thought you got one from leaving the petrified something in the nest.

Does the weapon durabily reset at the bonfires, because I haven't had to fix a single weapon.

Can anyone confirm that you cannot forge boss souls with only 1 int (Bandit class)

Is it just me, or is there something seriously wrong with the targeting in this game? Namely the Sinner is where I'm noticing this, he's the only thing in the room, I'm looking directly at him, and I'm not more than five feet away from him, but I click to target him and the game just keeps centering my camera.

I've had problems targeting moving enemies a few times, the game sometimes puts the lock on reticle about five feet behind them. Sometimes it violently jerks into the right position.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Is anyone else kind of disappointed by the size of some of the areas in the game?
Heide's Tower, No Man's Wharf, Lost Bastille...
a lot of places really don't have that much branching going on.

Heide's Tower
in particular is basically just one long straight shot with a left/right split at the end.

So far, this is one thing I'm not minding. The variety is an interesting change of pace, and certain areas aren't overstaying their welcome as could happen in a few spots in Dark Souls.

Gotta finish first though, will see how it all feels in hindsight. Or when doing new game+.

Tiops

The second boss I defeated was the
Pursuer
. It gave me some problems, but I think I beat him at the 4th or 5th try. I though it was a little hard for me, so I went back to Majula and found
Heide Tower
, and defeated the first boss there very easily.

The game works a little bit like Demon's Souls then, right? It's always wise to backtrack after one or two bosses and pass through the start of another area then come back later to finish it, or the
Pursuer
was easy and I shoudn't have a hard time with him?

Guys...where is Gavlan after you speak to him??

I've been wondering the same thing, I went back there like 3-4 times just exploring to make sure I didn't miss anything. 20 hours later... still haven't found him anywhere else.
I wanna sell my shit. Spoilering this cuz... it seems like he's the only npc you can sell stuff too. o_O
lol. Haven't found another npc with that option.

Need advice my fellow pryomancers. Intel doesn't influence the pyromancy glove directly but intel itself still boosts the fire damage stat. So having a high Intel is still a good idea? Or is pryomancy not effected by the fire bns stat either?

After the wharf Galvan
can befound in harvest valley

Hah, there's a trick to that particular fight.
He turns off the lights so that you can't target him. There's a way to circumvent this, though.

I haven't fought that boss yet but I had similar lock-on issues in
No-man's Wharf
and I think it's because those levels were originally meant to be Tomb of Giants levels of Dark, and if you recall your targeting was impaired there as well. Is the boss arena you're fighting in supposed to be dark? It can be confusing when From treats an area that you can see plain as day as being dark.

When I get crit/backstabs on enemies, I've been invincible.

You don't take full damage, but more like chip damage and ailments still apply.

Yesterday I was backstabbing one of those long armed dudes, and another attacked me when I was in the animation, and I started bleeding!

Nintyb

Banned
I'm so fucking infuriated with this game right now. I had to shut it off before I smashed my controller into the tv.

It's like, I know how to read enemy patterns and defeat them easily 1 on 1, but they continually have these fucking areas designed with two or three at once and narrow environments.

sixghost

I said right in the message you quoted that I upgraded my staff. It's +3. And I'd say it's the only thing that has appreciably increased my damage, whereas raising INT hasn't felt like it's boosted it much. But I'm working toward the staff that an earlier poster mentioned, and it has B INT scaling, so hopefully that'll help me feel a bit more powerful. I'll re-evaluate everything once I get further in the game.

Wait, is this true?

I'm so fucking infuriated with this game right now. I had to shut it off before I smashed my controller into the tv.

It's like, I know how to read enemy patterns and defeat them easily 1 on 1, but they continually have these fucking areas designed with two or three at once and narrow environments.

It's ok bro. But if you tell us where you're stuck, we can help out, that's what we're here for.

How do you get past petrified statues?

There's an item for it. You'll know it when you find it.

J-Roderton

Ambush ahead. Hmmm. Okay. No big deal ju- WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!

Yeah I know.

koryuken

I just thought of a fun PVP build... Imagine having a dual weilding Katana dex build. One Katana causes Poison
Manslayer
and the other causes bleeding and has the ability to break guard
Phantom Blade
-- power stance hits with both. That would be fucking brutal lol.

You need to be really close for the lock on, then you can move away and it will stay on him for a good distance. The reason you can't target him at range is because...
it's too dark. lol

I just thought of a fun PVP build... Imagine having a dual weilding Katana dex build. One Katana causes Poison
Manslayer
and the other causes bleeding and has the ability to break guard
Phantom Blade
-- power stance hits with both. That would be fucking brutal lol.

Jesus. Sounds awesome.

When I get frustrated I kick back and watch a Let's Play or stream. Somehow seeing other people play worse than me gives me the strength to carry on.

Ourobolus

Banned
I think it varies on the attack. Projectiles will definitely hit you and do damage while in the animation.

You don't take full damage, but more like chip damage and ailments still apply.

Yesterday I was backstabbing one of those long armed dudes, and another attacked me when I was in the animation, and I started bleeding!

Huh. Weird, I just hadn't noticed anything. Sword swings went right through me - there was no sound like I was hit at all. I'll have to see what happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom