• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ambush ahead. Hmmm. Okay. No big deal ju- WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!

Yeah I know.

Crowd control is one of the first hard lessons I am learning in Dark Souls 2

You have multiple encounters of tough enemies a lot more often.

Makes me want to have a wide swinging giant sword. I miss getting the Zweihander right in the beginning in the original....

J-Roderton

Makes me want to have a wide swinging giant sword. I miss getting the Zweihander right in the beginning in the original....

This. Can't wait to find it or something just as cool.

Huh. Weird, I just hadn't noticed anything. Sword swings went right through me - there was no sound like I was hit at all. I'll have to see what happens again.

From my experience it definitely doesn't interrupt your animation at all, but still you are slightly vulnerable. I think From tackled this issue in the best way they possibly could.

koryuken

I'm a STR build but I still haven't found a good weapon that I want to use. I beat four bosses but still using the Heide Knight Sword lol... The large STR weapons with the huge arcs are terrible for many of corridors and cramped environments.

I'm so fucking infuriated with this game right now. I had to shut it off before I smashed my controller into the tv.

It's like, I know how to read enemy patterns and defeat them easily 1 on 1, but they continually have these fucking areas designed with two or three at once and narrow environments.

God Damn Lost Bastille

I'm a STR build but I still haven't found a good weapon I want to use. I beat four bosses but still using the Heide Knight Sword lol... The large STR weapons with the huge arcs are terrible for many of corridors and cramped environments.

You should go to the old lady and give the Club and Caestus a spin.

They have really high STR modifiers and I am curious about their performance in this game

Scher

They make it very clear that crowd control is important in this game, especially with some of the bosses, but it feels like there are no proper tools for dealing with crowds. Pretty much the only thing to do is just run around in circles for about a minute until there's an opening to get 1 or 2 hits. I'm finding most encounters to be annoying not because they're difficult, but because they're tedious.

I'm a STR build but I still haven't found a good weapon I want to use. I beat four bosses but still using the Heide Knight Sword lol... The large STR weapons with the huge arcs are terrible for many of corridors and cramped environments.

Mace, bro. I haven't found a better STR weapon yet.

I'm a STR build but I still haven't found a good weapon that I want to use. I beat four bosses but still using the Heide Knight Sword lol... The large STR weapons with the huge arcs are terrible for many of corridors and cramped environments.

I'm a strength build and I've been using the mace for 90% of the game, its pretty damn awesome. I wonder if the morning star would be any better because the bleed damage.

From my experience it definitely doesn't interrupt your animation at all, but still you are slightly vulnerable. I think From tackled this issue in the best way they possibly could.

Yeah they kinda back tracked on it a bit, I think it was supposed to be full damage or you get knocked out of the animation. They're harder to pull off now, so I think they're balanced pretty good the way they are.

Also, a polearm backstab is the most satisfying thing.

I haven't fought that boss yet but I had similar lock-on issues in
No-man's Wharf
and I think it's because those levels were originally meant to be Tomb of Giants levels of Dark, and if you recall your targeting was impaired there as well. Is the boss arena you're fighting in supposed to be dark? It can be confusing when From treats an area that you can see plain as day as being dark.

I kind of figured that, maybe it would have been a cool fight if FROM didn't delete the lighting

Aeana

I got summoned into another guy's world, and he had summoned another person too. We had to fight our way to another boss in the area, and once we entered the battlefield, the other co-op person just rolled off the edge of the arena right away. Good times.

They make it very clear that crowd control is important in this game, especially with some of the bosses, but it feels like there are no proper tools for dealing with crowds. Pretty much the only thing to do is just run around in circles for about a minute until there's an opening to get 1 or 2 hits. I'm finding most encounters to be annoying not because they're difficult, but because they're tedious.

Spear and shield?

ironcreed

Banned
I'm so fucking infuriated with this game right now. I had to shut it off before I smashed my controller into the tv.

It's like, I know how to read enemy patterns and defeat them easily 1 on 1, but they continually have these fucking areas designed with two or three at once and narrow environments.

tumblr_mbi25hWU3s1qza2hxo1_500.gif

Real Dark Souls starts with this kind of reaction, lol.

But then something magical happens...

braveheart-victory-o.gif

You git gud.

I will try it out... it does way less damage than the Heide Knight Sword though.

Guess it depends on your build. If you're a pure STR build right now it should eclipse it in time. And the Heide Sword has split damage which will probably become progressively less potent as the game goes on and enemy elemental resistance starts to spike, if past games are any indicator.

Caja 117

I Got to play a bit, this game is really hard compared to Dark Souls! i mean that deal on how your HP bar gets cut every time you die makes it really difficult.......I LOVE IT!

I started as a Warrior, but I think Im going to drop that, I died already like 10 times and without having the chance to use my Souls collected to level up.

Artorias

Banned
Where should I go after
Lost Sinner
? I just found
Huntsmans Copse and lit the first fire but I can also unpetrify the person blocking the other unexplored door in Majula, with the spooked guy near it.

And sorry for repeating myself, but any tips on a 1h melee weapon? Maybe I should just keep using the Humunculous Mace but I kinda want to find something that scales better than C for strength. I also love how fast this mace attacks so I'm hoping for something similar.

That's it, I've decided - using the soul vessel to respec to a str/faith build as opposed to the pure faith build I intended on making. Holding out for a way to enhance my weapons with faith-scaling is taking too damn long.

Can someone clear something up with me about how elemental scaling works in this game? I heard that enhanced weapons still keep some of their old scaling, albeit in a reduced form. So if I wanted to enhance my mace with lightning it would still behoove me to increase str, right?

And sorry for repeating myself, but any tips on a 1h melee weapon? Maybe I should just keep using the Humunculous Mace but I kinda want to find something that scales better than C for strength. I also love how fast this mace attacks so I'm hoping for something similar.
Join the league of Macebros. Pretty sure the normal mace scales to B or A, right?

Garcia

That feeling when you and another phantom help a player beat a boss and all three of you do the War Cry gesture at the same time :p

I always chuckle and smile at the end of a successful boss battle. It feels amazing to Co-op with 2 more people.

I feel like I might have made a bad choice going for Strength, all I keep hearing is that there aren't many good STR weapons

Are there no good awesome giant two-handed swords or cool polearms or anything?

I'm actually interested in Maces that people keep talking about, but is it specifically like a single generic weapon called "mace" or are people referring to a class of weapons and there are a bunch of cool maces?

Become a human again. (Use a human effigy as an item)
is there a way to farm these? I'm not very far in the game (4 hours) but I've only found 3 or 4.

This game is making me feel like a noob. I'm struggling just as much now as I did as a brand new player to the series in Undead Parish

I havent gotten the game yet, but does anyone have more info on the mechanics of Co-Op yet?

Do the stones only let you co op for a limited amount of time? do you get kicked off after defeating a boss like in previous games? is it still based on level, or souls acquired?

Thanks

The framerate jumping to 60fps at the no-mans wharf bonfire room is so jarring. It's like the game jumps into fast forward. I can't wait to see this on a PC.

Aeana

is there a way to farm these? I'm not very far in the game (4 hours) but I've only found 3 or 4.

This game is making me feel like a noob. I'm struggling just as much now as I did in new player in Undead Parish
That's weird. I have 16 on me at the moment. I did buy the traveling merchant hat from the merchant in the forest though, which raises item discovery rate.

Yeah, stuff like that is why I'm summoning for bosses this time through. I'm exploring areas solo, then fighting the bosses a couple times, and not feeling bad about summoning to get past them. I'll defeat them all solo later. I'm prioritizing being surprised by the environment and figuring out the story over fighting the bosses, and I think this will maximize my enjoyment and help me get to the point where "spoilers" don't matter so much.

I will avoid reading boss strategies until I've soloed them all, unless I get thoroughly painfully stuck.

I've never summoned anyone in the games. I don't even understand how it works haha

I had some minor success with alluring skulls.

Con_Smith

Banned
I need torches guys . Can't find the Plock to illuminate
no man's wharf
and that area is kicking my ass without one.

Did kill my first invader in the belltower today though. Some pansy mage tried to get me with lighting bolts and I just mollywhoped his ass. God I love this game. So much more good feels for clearing an area and so many secrets packed into seemingly shorter areas than the first game. Rocking EK armour on my female warrior Jambolya as she smites the world and collects souls.

I know it's done on purpose, but you can't really tell the room is supposed to be dark cause without the lighting it only looks mildly dim

I see what you're saying, but I figured it out from the cutscene before the fight where he turns them off. Even if you couldn't see the different in lighting (which, I mean, once you actually restore it the difference is pretty obvious), From threw that hint at you.

Jobbs

Banned
Something about the hit detection seems a bit less precise than in the first game. There are times when I get hit by stuff that I shouldn't have been hit by, particularly when it comes to bosses.

The lack of narrative is the other big problem in the game; The lack of context. After what, 15-20 hours, and like 12 bosses, nothing ever happens. I have no idea who these bosses are or why I'm killing them, and when I kill them no one at town says anything new or comments on my progress.

Eventually I killed a boss and lit a "primal fire", who the hell knows what that is, but after doing that the emerald chick said "you killed an old one" then went back to the same dialogue she's had the whole game. I still have no idea what that did or why.

I'd say this game is more cryptic and obtuse in its narrative than the first game, because after this many bosses I still have no idea what I'm accomplishing in the context of the game and no one ever reacts to what I do. In the first game, it was a bit mysterious, yeah, but near the beginning someone told me to ring two bells. Okay, cool, a specific call to action. I ring a bell? He comments on it if I talk to him again. I ring both? Stuff changes. It's actual forward motion.

I'm having a good time in DS2, but I'm also feeling so lost that the agme doesn't even really seem to have a story, it seems to be a boss mashing simulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom