• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
I feel like I might have made a bad choice going for Strength, all I keep hearing is that there aren't many good STR weapons

Are there no good awesome giant two-handed swords or cool polearms or anything?

I'm actually interested in Maces that people keep talking about, but is it specifically like a single generic weapon called "mace" or are people referring to a class of weapons and there are a bunch of cool maces?

What? There are weapons that most definitely scale with strength. Maces are a great choice, and yes, there are giant swords as well. You find the Ultra Greatsword pretty early in. It's huge and has an awesome moveset. There are halberds as well.

Scher

I had some minor success with alluring skulls.

Is that so? I've never really tried using those because the description is a bit vague in that it says it will lure certain types of enemies, and I'm not sure what they mean by that. Is there anything special about it, or does it just lure any normal enemy if you use it?

Home

After trying for probably 2 hours and gaining 100000 souls to rehumanize myself for the
last sinner
fight I gave up trying to go human and just plowed through him solo. Took probably 4 attempts but I eventually got there.

I also got summoned into a
rat covenant player's world. I don't think he knew what to do since when I started to kill the player he ran off and I Was able to exit the zone through the mist. Interesting covenant though.

Clevinger

didnt think it mattered but yea

You have to A) be in human form and B) be in the correct level range. If you're way overleveled for that area of the game (compared to most other players) you probably won't see many summon signs.

Otherwise it's a problem with your connection or their servers.

Fhtagn

Bloodstains never tell you what you want to know, silly. Theyre for entertainment!

I have learned about a bunch of ambushes and also used them to figure out if a bridge was going to suddenly collapse if I went any further:
nope, people just ran right off it, haha.

Maybesew

Just something I was thinking about on my lunch break. Have we found any items that change their scaling upon improvement? In DS1, the uchigatana changes from B to A scaling when it hits +14.

I've noticed a lot of people are making weapon choices based on scaling, and hadn't seen this mentioned at all.

Arcayne

Just killed the (boss)
Pursuer
, should I be going to (area)
Lost Bastille
or (area)
Heidi's Tower of Flame
? Getting to the (boss)
Three Sentinels in Lost Bastille
has been a major pain. What'd you guys do?

You have to A) be in human form and B) be in the correct level range. If you're way overleveled for that area of the game (compared to most other players) you probably won't see many summon signs.

Otherwise it's a problem with your connection or their servers.

figured it out, i was in the covenant that doesnt allow coop lol

skynidas

Banned
Just killed the (boss)
Pursuer
Lost Bastille
or (area)
Heidi's Tower of Flame
? Getting to the (boss)

(area)
Heidi's Tower of Flame i
s what i did

Bow users, is a bow-only run actually viable now?

i use a bow because i have a dex str build , I have beaten nearly boss in the game and i don't think that doing a bow-only run is a good idea , it might be possible but really hard

AngryMoth

Just killed the (boss)
Pursuer
Lost Bastille
or (area)
Heidi's Tower of Flame
? Getting to the (boss)
I bashed my head against that boss for an hour or so before realising that the other area is somewhere I could go to. It is a much easier area.

What? There are weapons that most definitely scale with strength. Maces are a great choice, and yes, there are giant swords as well. You find the Ultra Greatsword pretty early in. It's huge and has an awesome moveset. There are halberds as well.

Awesome, where exactly do I find it?

Just killed the (boss)
Pursuer
Lost Bastille
or (area)
Heidi's Tower of Flame
? Getting to the (boss)

(area)
Heidi's Tower of Flame
is the easier option, so I'd go with that first.

Ellite25

As a swordsman is it a good idea to level up weapons that scale well with dexterity? Those weapons also seem to break really fast which is super annoying.

derwalde

having a bow as my secondary weapon i dont know really. i mean ofc its possible, but the damage output isnt that high (A scaling bow, 25dex atm, normal arros). the problem is the slow shooting speed imo. i can only guess, that it wouldnt be much fun.

on the other hand, its a brilliant secondary weapon. aggroing enemies or killing them (slowly) from above is quite nice.

Con_Smith

Banned

As someone who backups with the bow I kinda hate how I haven't found more in the game. Running with the short bow and crossbow it does make them kinda viable but I'm not noticing the attack increase when I level dex or boosting their levels so either I'm doing something wrong or regular arrows are just shit compared to iron and elemental.

Doombear

so is my ps3 on the fritz or do things like item images in the menus take a second to load now?

Sort of bugs me as well. Brand new PS3, so yeah, seems like it is the game.

These sound glitches fuck with my flow. A giant is swinging his sword wildly in tight quarters? Its cool DS... Just de-sync the sound effects for a few seconds.

Was wondering if others had the sound delays as well. Good to know. Also bugs me.

The last gripe I have is the occasional frame-freezes when something is loading or I am on the edge of moving into/from another area.

But those issues aside? I love this game. I think I am only at 4-5 bosses down, and feeling underpowered though I am level 50ish. Really need a better weapon I think. Got
the boss in The Wharf
down to 1-2 hits left and died...YAY! Tonight, revenge.

PS. Malentia is the best NPC. Every time I talk to her I picture The Crack Fox. Um, video is not really NSFW but there is some 'strong' language in it I guess?

Malentia The Crack Fox and I are running off together.

Zaventem

I recently found out that there are no
full red or blue eye orbs. You have to farm mobs to invade now. What the fuck is from thinking? this is a step so far backwards.
Seriously disappointed..

Garcia

2 things:

• That was the tightest elevator I've ever ridden. LOL !
  • Holy shiiiit, Kings Field references here and there:
    Secret Walls!
That
Golden Wing shield
sounds good.

UnrealEck

I rented the game on PS3 and it should be here tomorrow. That means I have overnight to start (again) Dark Souls and finish it.
Possible for a non-hardcore Souls player?

This whole become human through summoning is pissing me off. There is no pattern to it. One time I had died only once, got summoned, lost and I was human again. Another time I had died only once, summoned, beat the boss and stayed hollow. I have beaten a boss like 3 times in a row and still not human. It makes no sense at all.

Jobbs

Banned
Can anybody tell me if there are any Str scaling longswords or greatswords? Not interested in ultra greatswords.

every sword I've found has had dext involved to some extent, usually the same as str or almost the same. If you want to only raise str, you're looking at axes maces and hammers.

Something about the hit detection seems a bit less precise than in the first game. There are times when I get hit by stuff that I shouldn't have been hit by, particularly when it comes to bosses.

The lack of narrative is the other big problem in the game; The lack of context. After what, 15-20 hours, and like 12 bosses, nothing ever happens. I have no idea who these bosses are or why I'm killing them, and when I kill them no one at town says anything new or comments on my progress.

Eventually I killed a boss and lit a "primal fire", who the hell knows what that is, but after doing that the emerald chick said "you killed an old one" then went back to the same dialogue she's had the whole game. I still have no idea what that did or why.

I'd say this game is more cryptic and obtuse in its narrative than the first game, because after this many bosses I still have no idea what I'm accomplishing in the context of the game and no one ever reacts to what I do. In the first game, it was a bit mysterious, yeah, but near the beginning someone told me to ring two bells. Okay, cool, a specific call to action. I ring a bell? He comments on it if I talk to him again. I ring both? Stuff changes. It's actual forward motion.

I'm having a good time in DS2, but I'm also feeling so lost that the agme doesn't even really seem to have a story, it seems to be a boss mashing simulation.

I definitely have been hit by things that shouldn't have, but only twice so far. The whole game feels so much more clunky than Dark Souls. I feel like it's a very unpolished, rushed product so far. I'm still enjoying it, but it's definitely not a masterpiece of design like Dark Souls was to me.

Can someone clear something up with me about how elemental scaling works in this game? I heard that enhanced weapons still keep some of their old scaling, albeit in a reduced form. So if I wanted to enhance my mace with lightning it would still behoove me to increase str, right?

Reposting for a new page - this information would really help when I respec.

convo

I dunno guys, not really feeling it right now. The new ADP stat makes the character feels really clunky now compared to DS1.
In what way do you mean? ADP does increase your agility which makes rolling with more armor better and drinking estus can be up to half a second faster once you reach the soft cap.

I recently found out that there are no
full red or blue eye orbs. You have to farm mobs to invade now. What the fuck is from thinking? this is a step so far backwards.
Seriously disappointed..

For the brotherhood of blood you can duel other members for them. People on the stream had 50-60 of them on them. They just want to keep the hardcore PvP players to fight each other in Arenas and stop destroying people trying to get through their game it seems.

Hixx

God this fucking
stupid Rat
boss fight is annoying. What's making it worse is that when I die it is taking WAY more than the usual amount of health for a death. Like 1/5th of my life.

skynidas

Banned
eph2bDg.jpg

okay, i should stop now lol, i have to do some uni work. this game is amazing. i must not be too far from beating it, I think, the bosses are soooo good, and the weapons you can make form their souls are great , at least the way they look. next time i play i'm going to experience a little bit with some of the covenants.

if anyone has some questions that might have spoilers I can probably answer some of them, things like weapons/finite items/npc's or thing like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom