• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash3584

this is something I'm afraid of. I remember when the update came with the soul sacrifice demo and people had to wait till the next day to get it. I really hope they won't screw up next tuesday, or I'm gonna go hollow on their asses!

Yeah I just want to get home after work and play without waiting for it to download.

In case there is no preload, is there a way to automatically download PSN games on PS3?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Oh man, if all goes well... I'll be playing this tomorrow.

And the rest of us will remain waiting... ;_;
LjKTjon.gif

Jobbs

Banned
Hold triangle for the actual dual wielding stance, you attack with both hands at the same time for amazing damage

Do you need to be using two weapons of the same type to do this? I recall hearing that somewhere now, but I'm not sure. (So two swords, or two daggers, or two axes, w/e)

The swordsman starts with a scimitar (curved sword) and a longsword (sword). Can he dual wield these properly?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Do you need to be using two weapons of the same type to do this? I recall hearing that somewhere now, but I'm not sure. (So two swords, or two daggers, or two axes, w/e)

The swordsman starts with a scimitar (curved sword) and a longsword (sword). Can he dual wield these properly?

Nope, i used a Zwei and a Great Axe on the beta and work perfectly.

Clockwork5

Depends how much you want out of the game.
Across all my characters I have nearly 500.

The game doesn't end after you "beat it". But doing so is less then 10 hours for a normal person I believe.

Also on PS3 as the 360 D-Pad is horseshit and innacurate, I've made plenty of mistakes with it.

What are you talking about? 10 hours? Dark souls is 5 times that in length on first playthrough, if you are good. If you can ring the first bell within 10 hours, on your first playthrough, you are doing alright.

finalflame

What are you talking about? 10 hours? Dark souls is 5 times that in length on first playthrough, if you are good. If you can ring the first bell within 10 hours, on your first playthrough, you are doing alright.

Yah, I was about to say, 10 hours for me was a fraction of the game. My first playthrough ended up at 50-60 hours, somewhere around there.

An experienced player who has beat the game once or twice might be able to 100% it in 10 hours, if they're decent. It's a long game your first playthrough with discovering secrets, where to go next, exploring, etc.

Who uses the boring light theme tho? You casul or non member?
KuGsj.gif

Also the Text Version exists.

I'll live, I probably need glasses anyways.

Thanks for pointing out the text version, I guess I was blind by the time I got to the links section~

I don't use the dark theme because for whatever reason it makes the site look like a 10 year old EZBoard to me.

Shadybiz

I'm thinking of picking this up, but I have 2 main questions:

1. I'm really not sure if this can be answered at this time, but will I be spoiling myself if I play this without having played all of the first? I have DS1, but haven't gotten through all of it. I would like to get in on the ground floor for DS2 though, because I know the community will be awesome.

2. I would have to decide between PS3 and PC. I could go either way. I would like the PS3 version cuz comfy couch (I really can't do HTPC with my setup), but then, the PC will most likely look better. I am 100% NOT trying to sound like a troll here, but is there anything out there that suggests the PC version won't need something like Durante's DSFix this time around?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This is exactly how I play, and exactly why I can't use the respec for anything other than minor tweaking. Starting class is very important to me. It informs the entire roleplay for the rest of the game.

Yep... I like role-playing the class because it lets me play ways I wouldn't normally. For example, given the choice, I would never murder NPC's or choose evil options, not in my nature. Not even out of curiosity.

However, random Bandit guy can murder anyone he has or wants to. lol

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before but what's vigor and adaptability?

Vigor raises your equipment load / encumbrance.

Adaptability iirc raises your defense, resistances, block speed, rolling speed.

But I've only just peeked at the stats/previews... trying to avoid spoilers.

edit: lol I was wrong anyway. sorry.

OrigiNull

1. I'm really not sure if this can be answered at this time, but will I be spoiling myself if I play this without having played all of the first? I have DS1, but haven't gotten through all of it. I would like to get in on the ground floor for DS2 though, because I know the community will be awesome.

2. I would have to decide between PS3 and PC. I could go either way. I would like the PS3 version cuz comfy couch (I really can't do HTPC with my setup), but then, the PC will most likely look better. I am 100% NOT trying to sound like a troll here, but is there anything out there that suggests the PC version won't need something like Durante's DSFix this time around?

The way they passively tell the story, I would be very surprised if you have anything "spoiled" for you in DS1 if you decide to go back. Most of the fiction for DS1 is based on unconfirmed theory at this point anyways.

PC isn't coming till next month so you'd miss the initial rush but they have said it will have proper PC settings and higher framerate. I'm actually picking up both (well 360 and PC).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'll live, I probably need glasses anyways.

Thanks for pointing out the text version, I guess I was blind by the time I got to the links section~

I don't use the dark theme because for whatever reason it makes the site look like a 10 year old EZBoard to me.

it's probably more an issue with the font being narrow and the harsh tones between the base and stroke color.

more neutral and better horizontal spacing between characters.
uTCnHyT.png

peC81bj.png

Zukuu

Banned
I wonder wha tthe agreed PvP level will be. As straight dex / str char you need to invest into 5 stats. As caster even into 6. As hybrid into 7.

I really hope vitality (stupid name for the stat btw) will increase the load by a huge degree, since it's now a sole stat so you only need to have 20 points or so to get normal role in a somewhat heavy gear.

40 Endurace (assuming it's the soft cap again)
40 Vitality
40 Dex
16 str (assuming weapon requirement)
XX Vigor

That's 136 right of the bat, without even having a single point into Vigor or any other stat.

How does respect works? Does it set you to SL 1 or the starting sl / stats of your class, or does it resets everything to 1? Does it gives you the equivalence in souls? Do you have to use "ALL levels". E.g. When you respect as sl 200, can you stop at level 150?
Anyone knows?

Afrodium

Banned

It's pretty unlikely you'll spoil yourself. I finished my first playthrough of Dark Souls without even understanding what the story was, so if you're anything like me you won't even know when you've encountered something that spoils the original Dark Souls. Also, the game takes place hundreds of years after the first, and I expect most of the story to be relatively self-contained. There will probably be references to events of the first, but you'd probably have to be well versed in the lore to pick up in them.

As for your PS3 vs PC question, it's hard to tell. Apparently PC is the lead platform this time around, which would lead me to suspect that it won't be a mess this time. However, there's really no way to know until it comes out.

BigDug13

Everyone keeps saying DS1 was 60 hours. I'm on hour 72 of my first playthrough and I haven't gotten any souls yet for the lordvessel. I guess I suck. :(

Zaventem

I wonder wha tthe agreed PvP level will be. As straight dex / str char you need to invest into 5 stats. As caster even into 6. As hybrid into 7.

I really hope vitality (stupid name for the stat btw) will increase the load by a huge degree, since it's now a sole stat so you only need to have 20 points or so to get normal role in a somewhat heavy gear.

40 Endurace (assuming it's the soft cap again)
40 Vitality
40 Dex
16 str (assuming weapon requirement)
XX Vigor

That's 136 right of the bat, without even having a single point into Vigor or any other stat.

How does respect works? Does it set you to SL 1 or the starting sl / stats of your class, or does it resets everything to 1? Does it gives you the equivalence in souls? Do you have to use "ALL levels". E.g. When you respect as sl 200, can you stop at level 150?
Anyone knows?

That's if we're going by Dark Souls 1 leveling standards. I was looking at some streams and this guy was low a low level and had almost 1k hp already so changes to cap have probably been made.

Everyone keeps saying DS1 was 60 hours. I'm on hour 72 of my first playthrough and I haven't gotten any souls yet for the lordvessel. I guess I suck. :(

Nah you don't suck haha i think i put in more than 100 befoe i actually went to NG+ because of pvping and such. I'm also one of those people that like to look at everything.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
See, based on this I'm now torn between Bandit and Explorer. I really appreciated having faster movement and evasion speed in dks1, but these were rolled into dexterity and wearing lighter armor in the first game. Dex really was OP in Dark Souls.

I wonder how effective adaptability will be in 2.

Took a peak at the Vanord video and skipped around a bit just to see what's up (I bailed when I saw and area I hadn't seen).

Good lord are the dudes with Kevin annoying.

Anyway, it still leaves me still wondering what the real advantage to dual wielding is. He seems to attack with just one hand at a given time, so I don't see where the extra damage is.

Slightly faster moveset with wider ranger, can have two movesets without needed to switch and the power stance.

Drawbacks are massive stamina drain, low defense, weapon swapping is already pretty quick, two handing weapons may provide similar power output to stance mode dmg.

I think the stats look much more balanced this time around, like you're going to have to make tradeoffs - you want tons of HP and big heavy armour, well you have to be sluggish and slow, you want to smack hard and be fast, well you better stay nimble because you won't have tons of HP - I hope this is the way it works out with much more interesting builds and always a chink in someones armour depending on what stats they go for.

No more cartwheeling giant dads etc hopefully, at least for a while!

Do any of the stats increase poise?

Poise is directly related to armor. High end armor now has stat requirements and also you equipment load is not effected by END. So to wear high poise armour, you would need to meet the stat requirements and invest points in Vitality.

Facism

My first DS1 playthrough was 85 hours, but i did everything possible for the covenants to get the weapons/miracles/etc so all i had left to do on subsequent playthroughs was beat Sif 2 more times and pick the bad ending :p

Going to be a fucking pain in the ass to get a DragonSlayer-wielding Sorcerer going in this game. Not a fan of the expanded stat categories at all. Probably going to have to raise that PVP cap from 120-125.

Jobbs

Banned

Here's what I'm getting from this, from an anal-about-stats standpoint:

- If you plan to play a non-caster, knight or bandit are the best choice. Knight if no dex, bandit if dex.

- If you plan to play a faith build without dex, knight is likely the best choice, even better than cleric over the long run <-- I'm not 100% sure on this, some of it will depend on factors I need more info on

- If you plan to play a faith build that includes dex, bandit is the best of anyone hands down

- Warrior/swordsman/deprived/explorer all seem to be poor choices for just about anything for those anal about stats

Keep in mind that this is all just notes to keep in mind if you really care a lot about a few stat points around the margins. For most people it's probably not a big deal.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

It's not outrageous if you're not using a guide or anything. Enjoy your time in Lordran.

Afrodium

Banned
We don't yet know at what level adaptability starts giving diminishing returns on movement speed, right? Assuming there's a level at which you can fast roll, you might as well stop leveling it once you reach that point. After that level spending points in adaptability would be just like leveling resistance in Dark Souls. But is movement speed only governed by adaptability now, or does equip load still factor in? Ugh, there's so much new stuff to learn.

-NeoTB1-

Nope. I can't tell you how many hours I spent exploring and just learning different enemy attack patterns.

I dislike the dark theme as well.

And yeah, First play through took me around 70 hours as well.

I like the dark theme, and like how the OP looks with the dark theme...but I can't use it at work because it makes it all the more obvious that I'm browsing a gaming forum...

OrigiNull

Has anyone watched part 2 of IGN's making Dark Souls 2 video? I'm just wandering if it has too many spoilers for enemy designs or if its more broad concepts.

Jobbs

Banned
Thanks. Kinda sucks that there are a lot more necessary stats. I went through my first build in DS1 with strength, endurance, and vitality (some points in dex to wield some weapons). Now I'll need to invest in at least 5 for my strength build (6 including dex requirements)

I disagree that it sucks -- Dark Souls has always sort of embodied that idea that things have consequences, that there are decisions to make. The idea that making decisions is harder and more consequential than before is viewed as a plus by me.

Owensboro

http://i.imgur.com/Fhu5cez.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

If I could ask for one thing to be added to the OP, it would be the description of what each stat now does. Having starting stats is nice, but it means nothing when you don't know what Vigor does, and how counter-intuitive Vitality is now. Thanks for the graphic!

Great OP otherwise!

UnrealEck

Turns out I have a free month (as a sort of payback thing) from Boomerang, so I'm going to probably rent the PS3 version to tide me over until the glorious PC version.
I really wish they would stop fucking around and release PC games on the same damn schedule. It's a bit of a slap in the face because they have you by the balls.

No way was I buying both though.

Another day of Amazon not knowing shit about my CE order. Damn. I'm giving them until the end of the week before I just cancel my order and buy the standard edition from Gamestop.

Edit: I don't want to be that guy, and I'm not complaining because I already know what the stats do, but some people might consider those descriptions a spoiler. Just food for thought.

Thanks. Kinda sucks that there are a lot more necessary stats. I went through my first build in DS1 with strength, endurance, and vitality (some points in dex to wield some weapons). Now I'll need to invest in at least 5 for my strength build (6 including dex requirements)
I love it personally. It lets dedicated PVPers keep growing their character and keeps builds diverse for longer.

Raxious

Can you not just buy the NA DLC? You should be able to play it on another region account just fine unless DLC has some additional region protection I don't know about.

Last US game I bought DLC for I couldn't use on my EU account, cause I was not the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom