• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

takoyaki

This is a ROUGH translation of the Famitsu DS2 review, but this being Famitsu, there’s not much new info in the review and they don’t mention things like frame-rate, textures, etc. This is one of Famitsu’s trademark “cross reviews”. You get a small introduction, then the game is reviewed by 4 reviewers. In this case, it’s 8 small text-boxes because they reviewed both versions, but it’s basically 4 short reviews.

note: I don’t think there’s anything spoiler-worthy in the review:

Introduction:

A cursed protagonist goes on an adventure to break said curse. In this entry in the DS series, animations have been overhauled and From has evolved the game to make the fighting more intuitive and more real.

It’s the newest entry in the series where you adventure out into a world filled with chaos. You play with or against other players while online. Other than that, you can receive support from other players through the “covenants”

Target Audience: From Fans, DS Fans, Fans of action games

Playtime: about 70 hours to clear the game, about 200 hours including all side-activities (they probably mean doing everything throughout multiple playthroughs)

Reviewer: 9

The feeling of making progress step by step, feeling tense, always close to death, is well and alive in this entry. From time to time you see the phantom of another player and other things like this make the online component unique. It’s not easy for anyone to progress in the game, but without a doubt, it’s a game where the feeling of joy waits after having overcome those obstacles.

Character classes have been added, a time limit for co-op play exists, and the scope of the game has gotten larger. Of course, there’s the high difficulty the series is known for. Therefore, the player himself has to get better and hone his skills and has to think on his feet. If you have a spirit that won’t break, the game will become the ultimate game for you.

Reviewer: 10

You die, devise a new strategy, do it all over again and bit by bit, you widen the area you can explore. That’s what we’ve come to expect from the series and it’s so much fun. Compared to the last game, there are more enemies and they are positioned in a way to make things harder for the player. You get the impression that the game is tougher on you. Therefore, the feeling of overcoming a difficult section gives you a huge feeling of accomplishment. You can warp between the bonfires from the start, which makes moving between different areas more enjoyable.

The tricky enemy placement and various other tricks the game plays on you make exploring feel tense. The boss in every area leaves you feeling overwhelmed. (both statements are meant in a positive way). You can fight with two swords, equip more weapons and choosing (changing) your gear during battle is easier.

The ominous, brutal atmosphere is tough for me to endure. Because you get attacked by enemies suddenly during your exploration, the feeling of tenseness is not a small thing. Finding the cleverly hidden items and trinkets gives you a very special feeling of joy. Because the three new classes differ in movement/moves and specializations, even people that have replayed the previous games will get something new to enjoy.

In any case, the enemies and NPCs are very unique. The stages and gimmicks are very creative as well, thus every place leaves a lasting impression on the player. When you encounter them for the first time and aren’t familiar with their move-sets, the enemies are a pain in the ass. The feeling of accomplishment of overcoming such challenges makes DS stand out. The covenant system has a lot of variety, leaving the player with a high degree of freedom which gives the game its great “flavor”/ cherry on top.

There are more restorative items and you get the impression that playing has gotten easier as compared to the last game. Having said that, the trademark high difficulty that one has come to expect is in tact. The player can enjoy the extraordinary feeling of tenseness when exploring the world. A motion (animation) when preparing a backstab has been added and I’m glad that they made some fine-tuning to the balance of anticipating/waiting for PvP matches. From has accomplished a game that you can play for a long time.

Magic and weapons have been added, the scope of the game is larger. Learning the game by trial-and-error and overcoming hurdles one after the other is great fun and well worth doing. Playing co-op or invading while online; the way in which you interact with other, unique players; those are things that feel great and aren’t being offered by a lot of other games out there.

Overall Score: 37/40

note: not sure how to translate ギッミク “gimmick” into game-lingo / went with “tricks” “trinkets” depending on context, but I could be completely wrong

note: the original Japanese review is available in the newest issue of Famitsu, available in the “Bookwalker” app in the Japanese itunes store for ¥300

SURESNIPE-MSU

Neo Member
Question for the experts...

Should I dive right into DS II without ever playing a second of DS? Everything I have read on this board makes me think I would really enjoy the game/difficulty.

Amazon is out of stock for the PS3 pre-order of the non-collector's edition? That is sad :(

Archer.

Starts with high dex. Bow and 300 arrows.

Answering my own question: Pilgrim

Starts with high faith, attunement, adaptibility. Starts with 3 miracles (Heal, Seek Guidance, Homeward) and a unique talisman. Starts with no weapon and only cloth-tier armor.
Question for the experts...

Should I dive right into DS II without ever playing a second of DS? Everything I have read on this board makes me think I would really enjoy the game/difficulty.

Amazon is out of stock for the PS3 pre-order of the non-collector's edition? That is sad :(
Definitely. By all accounts DSII keeps the challenge the series is known for while making it the most accessible entry yet. Sounds great for beginners. That said I still suggest you try the first one, or at least read up on the lore.

Deuterium

I'm contemplating how to play this game. The last two I've played and heavily relied on guides. I don't think I'll do that this time. I'll just go through the game and make a so-so character. I need to read up on stats, because fuck resistance. Other than that, I think I'm ready to be cautious of all NPC's I meet, not knowing if they'll pull another assassination binge.

I'm so incredibly excited!

I am about 60-70% through Dark Souls 1, first play through. I have come to the opinion that the game would be all but impossible to complete, without the aid from external resources, online guides, forums, etc. There are too many examples to list, in which there is simply no way to progress, without such aids. However, in broad strokes -- there are critical aspects of gameplay mechanics, stats / weapon scaling, path progression, applicability and usefulness of items/armor/weapons, boss enemy combat strategies, etc., ...which, in all practicality, cannot be discovered organically within the game-world. There are so many permutations and possibilities, that (IMHO) even the most expert gamer would require several hundreds (perhaps thousands) of hours of trial-by-error testing, to weigh the relative merits and advantages/disadvantages of so many statistics, attributes and properties that are often intimately interconnected and interrelated.

I seriously question if there is any GAFer that can honestly state they have completed Dark Souls without ever appealing to an external resource for answers, guidance and/or assistance. Also, bear in mind that this criteria basically eliminates all PvP online play. So, my question reduces to the following:

Could any single individual successfully complete Dark Souls (before the Earth is rendered inhabitable by the Sun evolution on the Main Sequence) given the following constraints:
-- PvE gameplay, offline-mode exclusively
-- No access or appeal, whatsoever, to external help in any form (written, oral, online, Divine inspiration, etc.). "External" defined as anything that is not part of the game's standard documentation which ships with the game, or intrinsic to the game's programming, e.g. hints, prompts and help guide.

P.S.: This is not a criticism, per se. Dark Souls happens to be one of the very best games I have ever played.

happypup

A fair point. One would hope that they learned from their mistakes and defensive stats are more useful this time around. Based on what we know about the stats they should be. And we certainly don't know enough about how the stats work to be able to truly optimize builds at this point.

Ideally, there would be more of a tradeoff between offensiveness and defensiveness, as opposed to DS1 where basically all late game PVP builds had 30+ Vitality and Endurance and no resistance (i.e. not nearly enough variance in survivability).

The thing that made the resistance stat buffs useless was that every level raised resistances to damage types. Dark Souls 2 doesn't do this anymore. If you want to have more defense then the armor you wear alone provides you need points in adaptability. If you want magic resistance above what the armor you wear provides you need int and faith points. In DS 1 every point you spent was also a point in all resistance types. Without this those stats are already far more useful.

If they keep to the same damage reduction formula a couple of points in int or faith above the classes min will probably be more useful overall than a couple of points in vigor (more health is lumpy defense where damage reduction is a smooth defense)

SURESNIPE-MSU

Neo Member

Starts with high faith, attunement, adaptibility. Starts with 3 miracles (Heal, Seek Guidance, Homeward) and a unique talisman. Starts with no weapon and only cloth-tier armor.

Definitely. By all accounts DSII keeps the challenge the series is known for while making it the most accessible entry yet. Sounds great for beginners. That said I still suggest you try the first one, or at least read up on the lore.

Thanks for the advice. I will have to figure out if I want to play through the first one before starting the second (probably should have thought about this sooner).

Facism

i watched one stream and turned off in laughter after the guy got attacked by a dog and screamed "SHITDOG!"

Jobbs

Banned
Matt Lees - Should you worry about Dark Souls 2 reviews?

Good video, I think. Lots of interesting points brought up.

Watching it.

That said, in recent years I've realized more how useless reviews are to me, and in some cases how they can actually damage things for me by messing with expectations.

In the case of a game like Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2, review scores mean less than nothing to me. It'll likely get a 9 or so, maybe a bit higher or a bit lower. And I don't give a shit, because there isn't a number you can put on "my favorite game of all time" or "most anticipated game of my entire life". Numbers don't mean anything next to that.

weevles

I'm fine with using guides and what not to complete or at least progress through the game.

DS is ever about preparation as much as skill (at least if you want to minimize deaths and overall frustration). I found I enjoyed myself a lot more when I knew more about what to expect, but that's just me.

So, anyone know if sites have gotten review copies yet? I know Giantbomb hasn't gotten a copy, which is kinda strange. They won't be able to have a review on release.

Darklord

Banned
I can just tell already that this games hype will be its downfall. The rose tinted glasses of the previous games will twist it into something that can never truly be accomplished. It'll be praised in reviews but people on here will nitpick the changes and hate anything streamlined or simplified even if it's a smart decision. Eventually it will rest at the bottom of the "Souls" series pit where the very mention of it on a gaming forum will be marked with snide remarks and disappointment of how it retroactively ruined the entire series.

Or everyone will love it. I dunno. Maybe!

Gorillaz

so the "explorer" class seems to be one of the more balanced ones starting out stat wise huh.....

hmm...making me choose now between that and dual wield class...how good would dual wield be without the class I wonder?

happypup

so the "explorer" class seems to be one of the more balanced ones starting out stat wise huh.....

hmm...making me choose now between that and dual wield class...how good would dual wield be without the class I wonder?

I think dual wield works on any class, it is just that the swordsman starts with two weapons. I could be wrong though

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Teenager:

Low END and STR, decent DEX, and starts with lots of grass

bvwa69fwzmw2cs6.gif

happypup

Bard

starts with a sitar and a daggar. low str high adaptability.

sitar's r1 plays a melody, r2 overhead attack, breaks sitar.

FloatOn

I'll take this one further: Pacifist

Starts with High Endurance. 100% physical resist shield that has the special property of doing decent weapon damage on parry.

I am about 60-70% through Dark Souls 1, first play through. I have come to the opinion that the game would be all but impossible to complete, without the aid from external resources, online guides, forums, etc. There are too many examples to list, in which there is simply no way to progress, without such aids. However, in broad strokes -- there are critical aspects of gameplay mechanics, stats / weapon scaling, path progression, applicability and usefulness of items/armor/weapons, boss enemy combat strategies, etc., ...which, in all practicality, cannot be discovered organically within the game-world. There are so many permutations and possibilities, that (IMHO) even the most expert gamer would require several hundreds (perhaps thousands) of hours of trial-by-error testing, to weigh the relative merits and advantages/disadvantages of so many statistics, attributes and properties that are often intimately interconnected and interrelated.

I seriously question if there is any GAFer that can honestly state they have completed Dark Souls without ever appealing to an external resource for answers, guidance and/or assistance. Also, bear in mind that this criteria basically eliminates all PvP online play. So, my question reduces to the following:

Could any single individual successfully complete Dark Souls (before the Earth is rendered inhabitable by the Sun evolution on the Main Sequence) given the following constraints:
-- PvE gameplay, offline-mode exclusively
-- No access or appeal, whatsoever, to external help in any form (written, oral, online, Divine inspiration, etc.). "External" defined as anything that is not part of the game's standard documentation which ships with the game, or intrinsic to the game's programming, e.g. hints, prompts and help guide.

P.S.: This is not a criticism, per se. Dark Souls happens to be one of the very best games I have ever played.

When you say complete DS, do you mean kill the last boss? I did just that on my first play through. As far as getting the Platinum? There is no way in hell I would be able to do that with a guide or a wiki.

I plan on doing the same for DS2. I will go in fresh and noobtastic and wont use a guide until NG+.

xBladeM6x

I'm dying to play this, but I'm waiting until PC. Wish me luck on not getting shit spoiled, or not killing myself in anticipation first.

Fhtagn

Seek Guidence tells you about a lot of secrets you might think otherwise impossible to find, like the return trip to the Asylum.

The Kay Plays let's play of Dark Souls is as blind as a lets play can be and she's doing a great job.

pablito

has anyone had any experience with preordering from best buy? i had to preorder from them because i waited too long on amazon and it sold out for ps3. a faq of theirs said they try to get people their orders on release day or close to it. i mean i can wait a couple days, but i know i'll be pretty much in a perpetual squirmy anxious mode while waiting and everyone else is dying gloriously lol.

Deuterium

When you say complete DS, do you mean kill the last boss? I did just that on my first play through. As far as getting the Platinum? There is no way in hell I would be able to do that with a guide or a wiki.

I plan on doing the same for DS2. I will go in fresh and noobtastic and wont use a guide until NG+.

Hi Hellmonkey,

Can you honestly say that you played through and completely finished DS1, with zero external help (at any time...zero means zero), OFFLINE.

I mean, I will believe you if you say so...but I really want you to think through the entirety of your first play through, and confirm that you never received any co-op player help (online mode), nor utilized any form of external help, however limited.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm leaning towards Explorer too, but what if *shudders* Adaptability is as useless as Resistance? Then you'd pick the least optimized class... XD

Arjen

Hi Hellmonkey,

Can you honestly say that you played through and completely finished DS1, with zero external help (at any time...zero means zero), OFFLINE.

I mean, I will believe you if you say so...but I really want you to think through the entirety of your first play through, and confirm that you never received any co-op player help (online mode), nor utilized any form of external help, however limited.

Check out Kay plays on YouTube. She's doing a blind playtrough without a wiki or summoning other players. It shows all the clues are there how to play and where to go.

Does the bandit start with more than just a bow?

I suppose it won't matter for more than a few minutes but it seems like a pretty weird way to start people off.

Pretty sure I'm going knight first playthrough. Great HP/Adaptability, decent STR, some Faith (will likely be a faith/STR build). Seems the ideal choice for me since I won't be wanting to level intelligence at all (lowest stat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom