• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
gOLqwmw.png

Ummmmmmmbasa!!

Changing the shipping speed worked for me today. Can I trust this?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
And the rest of us will remain waiting... ;_;
LjKTjon.gif

I love this GIF. When I first came across him I was like "who the heck is this guy, and WTF crazy dorky armor is he wearing?". Now, 80+ hours into my first playthrough of Dark Souls, I cheer every time I see him. I look at this gif with a nostalgic and yet heartfelt sympathy, knowing what he is feeling as he simply sulks by the gate to Sen's wondering how in the world he can proceed now.

Don't fret bro, that gate will open soon enough. And don't fret PC gamers, our time too will come soon enough...

ced

Damn is Amazon sold out of the PS3 version?

So when it says Explorer can use a bow, does this mean a Knight can't? I can't remember how the other games handled this.

Owensboro

The more I look, the more tempting Explorer seems...

That's totally what I'm going! I'm probably going to make the jack-of-all-trades character who gets to dabble in everything. I want to play with all the magics and weapons I can get my hands on. Luckily, you can't really screw up a build in Dark Souls games thanks to each level upping other stats no matter what you put your points into. If I get into a tight spot where I need to level up a bit, I'll just take part in some jolly co-operation to get souls! Win/win!

The second character is for min/maxing, and trophy getting!

I work only a few blocks from the Namco Bandai US HQ in San Jose. I just saw this Dark Souls II wrapped car walking to work this morning:

IgLstpw.jpg

It kills me knowing that Dark Souls II is only a few blocks away from me right now...

Randam

Last US game I bought DLC for I couldn't use on my EU account, cause I was not the owner.
not the owner?
did you buy the dlc with on of your own accounts?

i have the mappack for my us version of world at war and can play them on all my accounts.

dark souls 1 is the uk version and I bought the dlc and no problems either when playing on my german account.

never heard anyone having problems.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I work only a few blocks from the Namco Bandai US HQ in San Jose. I just saw this Dark Souls II wrapped car walking to work this morning:

IgLstpw.jpg

It kills me knowing that Dark Souls II is only a few blocks away from me right now...

Isn't that the Gamestop exclusive giveaway prize?

Zaventem

Will this work if I don't have Prime? I haven't gotten an email telling me an estimated delivery date yet.

I have prime but this is usual for far off preorders. On a side note mine was saying the 13th but changed to 11th when i put the full state name. I think there might be a bug.

koryuken

- Warrior/swordsman/deprived/explorer all seem to be poor choices for just about anything for those anal about stats

I disagree about the Warrior. I really like the fact that he has 5 FAI, 5 INT, 5 ATT -- this means he can be leveled as either an Fighter + INT build or a Fighter + FAI build. He also has 15 STR and 11 DEX, which can go towards either a DEX or a STR build. (If you remember from DS, there were DEX weapons with a 16 STR req). This makes me think that the warrior is actually a great candidate for a re-spec and trying new builds.

ironcreed

Banned
Watching some footage of what is probably one of the easier boss fights, but even then the damage you take is still huge. He can easily 1-2 shot you.

Deitus

I disagree about the Warrior. I really like the fact that he has 5 FAI, 5 INT, 5 ATT -- this means he can be leveled as either an Fighter + INT build or a Fighter + FAI build. He also has 15 STR and 11 DEX, which can go towards either a DEX or a STR build. (If you remember from DS, there were DEX weapons with a 16 STR req). This makes me think that the warrior is actually a great candidate for a re-spec and trying new builds.

Jobbs was talking purely about optimal stat allocation. Warrior's status as a jack of all trades means that whatever path you choose to take him down, he will have a few points in stats that you don't end up using, meaning slightly less points in the stats you want.

But as Jobbs said, this won't matter for 95% of the people playing. And anyway, the difference is only a few points, so it's really not a big deal. Plus, even a pure melee build might take a few points in magic stats for 1 utility spell.

IgLstpw.jpg

Wow! I didn't know they let cars on the sidewalk!

Zaventem

Warrior/swordsman/deprived/explorer all seem to be poor choices for just about anything for those anal about stats
I think someone earlier in this thread calculated depraved as the best choice for a person that plans on using zero magic.

.oh here it is

What I did was add all the stats that will require any kind of investment even 1 or 2 points and the spare levels of each class. (spare level as the Cleric has the highest of 14, so the deprived which starts at lvl 1 has 13 spare levels)

This should be relevant for anyone doing a build which does not use any magic/faith.

STR + DEX + VIT + VIG + END + ADP

warrior: 53
knight: 54
swordsman: 49
bandit: 55
explorer: 50
deprived: 49

Vlade

Jobbs was talking purely about optimal stat allocation. Warrior's status as a jack of all trades means that whatever path you choose to take him down, he will have a few points in stats that you don't end up using, meaning slightly less points in the stats you want.

But as Jobbs said, this won't matter for 95% of the people playing. And anyway, the difference is only a few points, so it's really not a big deal. Plus, even a pure melee build might take a few points in magic stats for 1 utility spell.

and if the casting stats add magic/lightning def now, there isn't anything completely wasted I think.

Jobbs

Banned

Warrior is not optimal for min-max if you know what you want. So if you want to be an int character, you have more faith points wasted than other choices might, and same thing for faith build. Moreover, if you want to be a non-caster, warrior is inferior to bandit or knight.

add together int+faith+attunement, three things a non-caster does not need:

warrior: 15
knight: 13
bandit: 11
swordsman: 18
deprived: 18

These are the required "wasted" points if you want to be a non-caster. We see bandit is best if you want to have dex, if you don't want high dex, then knight is best. Swordsman seems to be quite a poor choice for min max unless you want to be a dex/int hybrid, in which case it's not too bad.

Look, if you just want to play the game and experiment and you don't care about squeezing out every last stat point, which is how I'd recommend most people play -- then yeah, it's fine. I only made these judgements from the perspective of a stat parsing, anal retentive standpoint.

I think someone earlier in this thread calculated depraved as the best choice for a person that plans on using zero magic.

.oh here it is

I'm not sure I understand what I'm looking at, but deprived has a forced 18 point investment in casting stats, which is way higher than other choices that exist.

Orayn

Interesting that no starter class seems to have *all* dump stats in magic. Kinda suggests that everyone will at least have the option of taking a spell or two for backup. Bandit, Knight, and Warrior have the fewest points in across all the magic stats, but it doesn't seem like any of them will be the single best choice for a non magic build.

It's also good that soul level and total stats are consistent now. No more "phantom" points, positive or negative.

Deitus

and if the casting stats add magic/lightning def now, there isn't anything completely wasted I think.

Faith added magic resist in DS1, and Resistance added physical and fire resist. But no one ever put points in those stats for the added defense. Those few points from starting stats are going to add an absolutely minimal defensive bonus, but reallocating them in your primary offensive stat, vigor, vitality, endurance, or adaptability could actually be a noticeable benefit.

Again, it's hardly enough points to ruin a build. But the point of min/maxing is to get the maximum amount of points in stats you want, while minimizing wasted points. So for that purpose, a pure melee character shouldn't have any points in magic stats.

As a huge fan of both Demon Souls and Dark Souls, I hate to admit I never finished Dark Souls. I go back to it every so often and make some more progress and I still have the DLC to play. I think I really need to start over but some of the boss battle were so difficult I'm not sure I would ever be able to beat them again. I'm really looking forward to DS 2 and have it preordered at Amazon. I liked how in Demon Souls you could chose the area and DS2 brings that back.

I have noticed some of you saying how it's not release day, so I checked mine. I also show a delivery date of Thursday. I moved it to one day then back to two day and now it show release day delivery. Hope I get it on Tuesday.

Mutombo

I saw a couple of questions in this thread regarding how useful adaptability is going to be. Here's a video (not mine) of a guy playing the beta and JUST leveling up agility (which it was called back then). Throughout the video you can read how many points he has invested at what slvl.

As for potential spoilers: he just fights in one area, and he just fights pvp. I'd say they're pretty timid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKPz3lDXzEE

Vlade

Faith added magic resist in DS1, and Resistance added physical and fire resist. But no one ever put points in those stats for the added defense. Those few points from starting stats are going to add an absolutely minimal defensive bonus, but reallocating them in your primary offensive stat, vigor, vitality, endurance, or adaptability could actually be a noticeable benefit.

Again, it's hardly enough points to ruin a build. But the point of min/maxing is to get the maximum amount of points in stats you want, while minimizing wasted points. So for that purpose, a pure melee character shouldn't have any points in magic stats.
In ds1 the effect of res and faith went away at high levels (res added an effective level to def, which made no difference if you were high level). They were busted.
Offensive stats are minimal in effect also for each stat point and cap at some value.

I understand min/max, but there is a chance def stats aren't broken this time around, and stats in faith won't delay maxing out your offensive stat much at all.

I don't think we are disagreeing, I just wanted to point out this is likely even less of a big deal than in ds1.

Edit
Cap effectiveness I mean.

Deitus

In ds1 the effect of res and faith went away at high levels (res added an effective level to def, which made no difference if you were high level). They were busted.
Offensive stats are minimal in effect also for each stat point and cap at some value.

I understand min/max, but there is a chance def stats aren't broken this time around, and stats in faith won't delay maxing out your offensive stat much at all.

I don't think we are disagreeing, I just wanted to point out this is likely even less of a big deal than in ds1.

Edit
Cap effectiveness I mean.

A fair point. One would hope that they learned from their mistakes and defensive stats are more useful this time around. Based on what we know about the stats they should be. And we certainly don't know enough about how the stats work to be able to truly optimize builds at this point.

Ideally, there would be more of a tradeoff between offensiveness and defensiveness, as opposed to DS1 where basically all late game PVP builds had 30+ Vitality and Endurance and no resistance (i.e. not nearly enough variance in survivability).

I don't understand. For instance, what are those numbers next to the classes?

Added all of the following stats, as they will require at least 1 point investment if your doing a no magic build:

STR + DEX + VIT + VIG + END + ADP

Also added the levels. So Deprived starts at lvl and the highest starting class starts at lvl 14. So deprived has an extra 13 stat points to invest in before reaching the same level. Similarly, Knight has an extra two. Just to make the comparison fair.

So the number represents the total amount of points you will have across those stats at lvl 14. The higher the better.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't understand. For instance, what are those numbers next to the classes?

I see what it means. The classes start out at different levels, with the deprived being the lowest (1) and the cleric being the highest (14).

He added together the "useful to non-caster" stats of each of them and totaled them up, and equalized their levels by adding to the number of those that start with a lower soul level than the cleric (which has the highest).

What it means is the same as I;'ve been saying, Bandit is the best non-caster who wants to use dex, and knight is the best non-caster who does't wish to raise dex. Deprived and swordsman and explorer are relatively poor choices for min-max.

Again, this is all just for if you want to be anal and focus on the most pure character design possible, with a clear vision for what you want. You absolutely do not need to play this way, and in fact, I may not even play this way on my first play. It can be more fun to just kinda let go and go where your heart takes you as you develop. Or maybe you think you'll probably be melee focussed, but are open to the idea of adding in some magic or miracles later as you play, in which case things like warrior and swordsman or explorer are perfectly great choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom