• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sotha_Sil

I'm enjoying the game so far. The level design is hit and miss and the bosses might be the worst in the Souls franchise (but I've only done 5 of them, so that could change). Still has the same great combat, challenge, and the classic horrible-yet-endearing dialog and voice acting. I'd give it an 8.5/10 if I had to rate it.

You get pharos stones through the rat covenant. So yes.

Also, has the blue sentinels been working for anyone?

Has not worked a single time for me and I've had them on the entire game so far since I found them. Bout 12 hours, not a single summon. That being said, it'd make sense that it only starts working in zones after people are able to unlock the Brotherhood of Blood, which is near the
Huntsmans Copse

Brohan

every sword I've found has had dext involved to some extent, usually the same as str or almost the same. If you want to only raise str, you're looking at axes maces and hammers.

Man that kind of sucks, guess my Paladin will have to lvl both str and dex then.

NIN90

Has not worked a single time for me and I've had them on the entire game so far since I found them. Bout 12 hours, not a single summon. That being said, it'd make sense that it only starts working in zones after people are able to unlock the Brotherhood of Blood, which is near the
Huntsmans Copse

You need to actually wait in that Covenant's area to get summoned. It's actually pretty fast. Like 1 or 2 minutes between summons.

Ferr986

In what way do you mean? ADP does increase your agility which makes rolling with more armor better and drinking estus can be up to half a second faster once you reach the soft cap.

Maybe is not because of the ADP stat but I feel like my character is more "locked" when he attacks, I cant raise my shield or evade as fast as DS1 after an attack. I guess I just have to get used to it, but DS1 felt more "smooth", even with slow weapons.

Or maybe I just suck again XD

Con_Smith

Banned
I dunno guys, not really feeling it right now. The new ADP stat makes the character feels really clunky now compared to DS1.

Check your equipment load. Adaptability makes rolling and iframes better but it don't mean shit if your encumbered or not raising your item load stat.

Can anyone give me a gentle push in the right direction?

Just killed the giant spider, and got the key from the room right after but the only door it opens is the one going toward the giant spider? Clearly I'm missing something?

Yeah. Actually, other players get summoned into your game so you need to be there.
Btw, try the white ring for some extra hilarity. Makes for some easy kills cause people don't know what the fuck is going on in the first place.

Wait, I have to wait in the Blue Cathedral? Or I have to wait...somewhere else? You need to be more clear. Im sitting in the blue cathedral and I'm sure not helping anyone who's invaded. The covenant symbol is dark too.

Mupod

Well, just when I finally gave up on ever being summoned as a blue sentinel I found a better covenant
which is grossly incandescent

I can't believe how bad poison is now, the base effect is close to Toxic in DS1. Is there an easily obtainable poison resist armor set or ring or something? I'm completely out of poison moss and I'm relying on my poison cure miracle which is slow as hell to cast and only comes with 4 charges.

skynidas

Banned
Can anyone give me a gentle push in the right direction?

Just killed the giant spider, and got the key from the room right after but the only door it opens is the one going toward the giant spider? Clearly I'm missing something?

if you already lit the primal bonfire , that's the end of that path. go fight something else

JoeFenix

The
Belfry Gargoyles
on ''Hard Mode'' have been the toughtest challenge I've faced so far. With a different build I could see it being easier but god damn maces are so slow and these things are fast. I didn't have the DPS to make this fight work but somehow managed to get them down after like 10 tries.

Shit was nuts!
4 of them at the same time, if you try to attack with anything other than a really fast weapon you will probably get punished by the other ones. Learning to wait for a truly safe time to attack was the key. Really hard to deal with all their attacks at the same time.

Finalow

so, uhm, I'm still waiting for my CE and I probably won't play it until next week. fuck yeah.

anyway, since I didn't want to run the classic magic build, at least not in the first run, how is a dex or/and faith build? If there are some interesting new miracles or weapons for that kind of build I'll go for it.

This would make sense.
This would make sense and I wish it was that way. In No-man's Wharf I went straight from human to hollow and it took about 5 summons to get my humanity back. While another time I died multiple times and it took just 1 summon.

I fought Flexile Sentry more times than I care to admit because I wanted the NPC to fight the boss with me for future reasons, but she would randomly jump off the pier.

Arcayne

Haha, nice to see (boss)
"Ornstein"
again! (Area)
Heidi's Towe of Flame
is beautiful, rivals that of (area)
Majula
for me. Took down the (boss)
1st fat boss here before seeing "Ornstein"... I didn't catch its name, was a forgettable fight
with ease. Mace is pretty OP right now, now if only it had range and a thrust.

I'm enjoying DkS2 over DkS1 right now for reasons I can't fully explain why yet. If I could candidly word it: DkS1 feels more gritty, medieval, and somewhat claustrophobic, whereas DkS2 feels grand, open, and adventurous. Directions aren't clear, but I kind of like it that way. OH! And the fact that I, for the first time, can co-op and help others i.e. I played DkS1 late i.e. everyone by then knew wtf they were doing, lol.

To me it seems to matter on how hollow you are. More deaths you've had since being human = more duties you need to fulfill.

No it does not. I have been dead only once and been unhollowed sometimes and others I stay hollow. Sometimes I have died a ton of times and get revived on my first go. It has nothing to do with how many deaths you have.

Prototype

there goes the mini-vacation, my days off are over, back to work :(

Can't wait to get back on and play again. One thing I was thinking about thought, while I've been able to summon other players to help me and have been summoned to help others, I've yet to be invaded a single time. What's up with that? I was really looking forward to being invaded more often. Anyone else experiencing this?

skynidas

Banned
That's what I'm asking though, I can't find the next path. I've killed the Lost Sinner as well.

you have two options, go through the well in Maluja and get to The Gutter. Or go to Huntsman Copse. if you need help getting to those two tell me, i don't want to spoil you too much

mattp

This would make sense.

im not so sure its how it works though, unfortunately
i had 50% hp the first time i got summoned to help someone, i died by accident in like 2 minutes and when i returned to my game i was full human
so it took away 5 deaths worth of hollowing and i didnt help beat the boss
every other time i've helped people(and beaten the boss or not) i haven't returned to human form
no clue what's going on

Con_Smith

Banned
there goes the mini-vacation, my days off are over, back to work :(

Can't wait to get back on and play again. One thing I was thinking about thought, while I've been able to summon other players to help me and have been summoned to help others, I've yet to be invaded a single time. What's up with that? I was really looking forward to being invaded more often. Anyone else experiencing this?

I was. Chill out in the belfry for awhile and you should get at least one.

you have two options, go through the well in Maluja and get to The Gutter. Or go to Huntsman Copse. if you need help getting to those two tell me, i don't want to spoil you too much
I really appreciate that. I had forgotten about the hole in Majula so I'll check that. Where is Huntsman Copse?

Some thoughts from a hardcore Souls player (beat both previous games twice—more into helping people beat bosses than PVP).

• Atmosphere is classic Souls. If you want more story, go play Assassin's Creed.
• Ability to customize your character's appearance more is awesome. My gf is a graphic designer, spent 2 hours working on my dude, and now he looks like a pissed off Jamie Lannister.
• Definite Dragon's Dogma influence on the look of armor. Capes look cool.
• The game is not as hard as previous games. Here's why: Estus plus Life Gems, improved online stability makes summoning easier, I feel like I'm leveling up way faster, and the game is just less devious than before. Example: I saw a preview where you had to fight this dude throwing axes as you walked up a narrow plank. In the actual game they toned that down. It just feels more like a fair challenge rather than Super Mario 3 ridiculous challenge, which I guess I miss (but I'm not that far yet).

Still with any complaints I'm having more fun than any game since the last Souls game. Playing online with other Souls heads is still sublime.

This whole become human through summoning is pissing me off. There is no pattern to it. One time I had died only once, got summoned, lost and I was human again. Another time I had died only once, summoned, beat the boss and stayed hollow. I have beaten a boss like 3 times in a row and still not human. It makes no sense at all.

Has anyone figured out exactly how getting summoned for boss fights works when it comes to regaining human form?

The only pattern I've noticed from people posting is it seems to happen after the summoner fails at a boss instead of succeeding. It's definitely not related to how many times you've died because I died a ton in the Forest and the first time I was summoned for the boss fight I got my humanity back.

On the other hand, I had literally just loaded up the game and hadn't died yet in that particular session, so maybe it's related to number of deaths per play session and not overall?

Con_Smith

Banned
I really appreciate that. I had forgotten about the hole in Majula so I'll check that. Where is Huntsman Copse?

that path you took to get to the Dragon Rider boss should have the girl that sells miracles there. She unlocks the path to huntsmans for 2000 souls

Jobbs

Banned
Some thoughts from a hardcore Souls player (beat both previous games twice—more into helping people beat bosses than PVP).

• Atmosphere is classic Souls. If you want more story, go play Assassin's Creed.
• Ability to customize your character's appearance more is awesome. My gf is a graphic designer, spent 2 hours working on my dude, and now he looks like a pissed off Jamie Lannister.
• Definite Dragon's Dogma influence on the look of armor. Capes look cool.
• The game is not as hard as previous games. Here's why: Estus plus Life Gems, improved online stability makes summoning easier, I feel like I'm leveling up way faster, and the game is just less devious than before. Example: I saw a preview where you had to fight this dude throwing axes as you walked up a narrow plank. In the actual game they toned that down. It just feels more like a fair challenge rather than Super Mario 3 ridiculous challenge, which I guess I miss (but I'm not that far yet).

Still with any complaints I'm having more fun than any game since the last Souls game. Playing online with other Souls heads is still sublime.

love the cloth physics, and yes, character faces are a thousand times better than before. here's mine: 1 2

The only pattern I've noticed from people posting is it seems to happen after the summoner fails at a boss instead of succeeding. It's definitely not related to how many times you've died because I died a ton in the Forest and the first time I was summoned for the boss fight I got my humanity back.

On the other hand, I had literally just loaded up the game and hadn't died yet in that particular session, so maybe it's related to number of deaths per play session and not overall?

Has anyone had consectutive unhollowing. I wonder if its like every 4 times you become unhollow.

stupei

This whole become human through summoning is pissing me off. There is no pattern to it. One time I had died only once, got summoned, lost and I was human again. Another time I had died only once, summoned, beat the boss and stayed hollow. I have beaten a boss like 3 times in a row and still not human. It makes no sense at all.

I'm starting to suspect it could be location based, oddly enough. Seem to go human every time in front of
the last giant
but not even once in front of
the pursuer
. (first two bosses)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom