• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

skynidas

Banned
I really appreciate that. I had forgotten about the hole in Majula so I'll check that. Where is Huntsman Copse?

if you exhausted the dialog options with the lady on Heide's Tower Of Flame (upstairs from where you fought the Dragonrider) go back to Majula and follow the path as if you were going to Heide's Ruins. she will be standing next to a contraption, give her 2000 souls and she will move it, that's the path to Hunstmans Copse

Hixx

Hopefully the EU servers go up at a decent time tomorrow, will start again when they do. Think I'll sacrifice some of the Dex I put in and go for Str, see how long it takes until I can rock the Drangleic Sword because I am beginning to dislike the Heide Sword's moveset and range in Bastille. Does decent damage but getting multiple hits on small creatures like dogs and rats requires you to be so close to them.

isual

alol.

iron keep has become a bow and arrow sort for me..

lost 40k souls there near the place where you have to jump to a ledge with a cauldron

Doombear

Has anyone gotten the glitch where the sky is all green? Or is that signs of my Ps3 dying? >.>

Either my brand new PS3 is dying as well (literally got it to replace a YLOD 60GB just for DS2 and haven't put more than 10 hours on it before this week) or it is a game thing.

Now, that said, I haven't seen the entire sky turn green, but there was a point early on where I turned a corner (thinking it was in Forest) and the camera panned oddly into a wall and I saw a flat green area. It went away when I passed all the way through the door and the camera once again had 'room' to pan behind me again.

Fingers crossed for you.

Prototype

love the cloth physics, and yes, character faces are a thousand times better than before. here's mine: 1 2

wow, she's like... beautiful... great job man. I just made a Guts look alike since I am making a Str build my first tie through. But ya, wow. Didn't know you could make something like that in the game.

I was. Chill out in the belfry for awhile and you should get at least one.

ok, will keep this in mind, thanks man. It's not about winning or losing, idc, I just love teh tension it adds, like when things aren't going your way then on top of that you get invaded... lol hate it, but love it.

koryuken

I feel like I might have made a bad choice going for Strength, all I keep hearing is that there aren't many good STR weapons

Are there no good awesome giant two-handed swords or cool polearms or anything?

I'm actually interested in Maces that people keep talking about, but is it specifically like a single generic weapon called "mace" or are people referring to a class of weapons and there are a bunch of cool maces?

There are tons of massive swords -- but all later in the game.

I always become human when the summoner dies. I accidently killed the last summoner (during a boss fight) lol
I've never lost a fight against Flexile Sentry while being summoned at least 10-15 times and have regained humanity.

Meanwhile, seconds ago the summoner just died against the Ruin Sentinels and I'm still dead. I've not fought them 3 times and lost without regaining humanity and I expect to get it back the next two summons.

Edit: and boom, after the 5th summon, not even fulfilling the duty, I have regained humanity. It's gotta be a 20-25% chance.

Mupod

Some thoughts from a hardcore Souls player (beat both previous games twice—more into helping people beat bosses than PVP).

• Atmosphere is classic Souls. If you want more story, go play Assassin's Creed.
• Ability to customize your character's appearance more is awesome. My gf is a graphic designer, spent 2 hours working on my dude, and now he looks like a pissed off Jamie Lannister.
• Definite Dragon's Dogma influence on the look of armor. Capes look cool.
• The game is not as hard as previous games. Here's why: Estus plus Life Gems, improved online stability makes summoning easier, I feel like I'm leveling up way faster, and the game is just less devious than before. Example: I saw a preview where you had to fight this dude throwing axes as you walked up a narrow plank. In the actual game they toned that down. It just feels more like a fair challenge rather than Super Mario 3 ridiculous challenge, which I guess I miss (but I'm not that far yet).

Still with any complaints I'm having more fun than any game since the last Souls game. Playing online with other Souls heads is still sublime.

Well, obviously bosses will seem easy if you summon two phantoms for each one. The ones in particular that seem easier are the humanoid types, maybe I'm just better at fighting them. At any rate I've run into several that were much harder than any of demon's souls bosses and tougher than most dark souls bosses. And I'm not far in.

Summoning definitely does help a lot and it's extremely easy compared to dark souls, where I never even bothered. Especially on the PC version. One of the big things is that you can easily turn human anytime, so you can get to a boss then unhollow and summon. Personally I just do some practice runs as a phantom and then go in for real, so far I haven't failed yet using this strategy.

Life gems or not healing is far more limited than the first two games. They aren't that common, and estus shards are rare...I think I only have 6 estus and I've been playing around 14 hours. I don't know how you can say healing is easier to come by than demon's souls where you'd have functionally infinite full healing grass after one run of 1-3.

As for that example with the axe guy in the trailers - I've definitely run into some serious bullshit moments which make that look like nothing. Two in particular. But the rewards for beating them were great, so I can't be too mad at it.

ALSO POISON SUCKS JESUS CHRIST

Jeez, all the boss souls weapons I could craft seemed terrible. Made a warped sword because it has A scaling but it uses dragon bones for upgrading which I have 2 of so ugh.

Prototype

@Mupod,

I agree, summoning help can trivialize most boss encounters. I try not to unless I feel like I really must because it makes things way to easy.

Donuts

Alright so I have a question about a treasure chest in
The Lost Bastille

After beating The 3 metal knights boss there are a few hidden walls. One of which is on the second floor with one of those exploding dudes and he's next to a treasure chest. I ended up breaking the chest and got rubbish out of it. What's actually in the chest????

JoeFenix

@Mupod,

I agree, summoning help can trivialize most boss encounters. I try not to unless I feel like I really must because it makes things way to easy.

Covenant of Champions
disables summoning and makes the game twice as hard. For people who think the game is too easy, this is the way to go.

Start as Deprived for maximum challenge, first hours were trial by fire, every enemy was a 1 hit kill.

Zeliard

Yeah the co-op human stuff is a bit bizarre this time around, but one great little touch with the co-op here is the bit of extra time you have to do gestures after you kill a boss. :p

zewone

I recently found out that there are no
full red or blue eye orbs. You have to farm mobs to invade now. What the fuck is from thinking? this is a step so far backwards.
Seriously disappointed..

There's a lot more options for PVP besides invading. If you just want to gank people, they made it harder.

I rented the game on PS3 and it should be here tomorrow. That means I have overnight to start (again) Dark Souls and finish it.
Possible for a non-hardcore Souls player?

You are already dead.

I think my first Dark Souls run took me about 80 hours. You could speed through it and get done in maybe 30 or 40 I suppose.

Prototype

Covenant of Champions
disables summoning and makes the game twice as hard. For people who think the game is too easy, this is the way to go.

Start as Deprived for maximum challenge, first hours were trial by fire, every enemy was a 1 hit kill.

I was in that covenant for the first half of the game and had no idea what it did, when I changed to
Way of Blue
I felt like the game had gotten easier but chalked it up to leveling/new equipment lol.

Do you get better/more rewards/drops for being with the
Champions
?

Prototype

So I was wondering about
Orenstien
is his armor in the game? If so, just a yes or no will suffice, I'd like to find it on my own if it is in the game. ;)

jabuseika

OK wth.

Is it strange that I'm level 50 now, have spend most of the game in human form, and I've never been invaded? Not once.

My online is working, I have been summoned to help and have summoned other people to help me.

OK wth.

Is it strange that I'm level 50 now, have spend most of the game in human form, and I've never been invaded? Not once.

My online is working, I have been summoned to help and have summoned other people to help me.

Same here. I get summoned just fine, so the servers are working. I guess no one's invading
outside of the Bell covenant

Sane_Man

So I'm kinda fucked off. I have no internet connection for 2 weeks as I've just moved house and I just started the game. I chose knight, started playing for a while and then realised I couldn't use my sword. If I equipped it the icon was empty but he seemed to be holding an invisible sword. He'd slash his empty hands like it had a sword but it did no real damage or anything.

So I restarted and all seemed fine. I talked to the woman who lets you level up, levelled up and then the sword was invisible again! What the fuck. Is this due to the day one update?! My game is ruined :'(

zewone

OK wth.

I haven't been invaded yet. I have seen invansions as a phantom in others worlds.

I think most people are just trying to get used to the game and invading items are consumables.

Getting mad motion sick playing this. Anyone else?

I am too. I posted earlier in the thread re: this to see if it was just me.

Dark Souls/Demon's souls did not have this effect on me, ever. This is really disappointing as this is my favorite series these days :(

The only other game to ever give me motion sickness was HL2, but that was fixed by changing the default FoV.

Really hope I can figure out what is causing it.

Zezboob

Ok, I just started and... I guess I made something stupid.

I aggroed
Pate,
I though he was a enemy (heh).

So, am I blocked ?
I read somewhere that I just need to kill him and ressurect him. Is it a troll or is it safe ?
Thank you.

starting to have more fun with the game now that im at the bastille. Took me 14 hours, is that slow?

So you can summon ppl after you defeat a boss?

Doombear

So I'm kinda fucked off. I have no internet connection for 2 weeks as I've just moved house and I just started the game. I chose knight, started playing for a while and then realised I couldn't use my sword. If I equipped it the icon was empty but he seemed to be holding an invisible sword. He'd slash his empty hands like it had a sword but it did no real damage or anything.

So I restarted and all seemed fine. I talked to the woman who lets you level up, levelled up and then the sword was invisible again! What the fuck. Is this due to the day one update?! My game is ruined :'(

Apologies if this is the stupidest possibility that exists, but are you sure you have it ACTIVE. Meaning, you have it equipped, but have pressed left or right on the d-pad and equipped one of the blank slots (you have three for each hand) instead?

Maybesew

OK wth.

Everyone is invading
in the bell tower

Dresden

Had a guy invade my summoner earlier in the old beta area. We'll see more invasions as we go further into the game - the pvp covenant takes a while to access - and I'm not looking forward to it, actually.

OK wth.

As others have said well before me, it's probably everybody playing through the game first and figuring out builds for invasion and PvP. Or maybe the invader covenant is located later in the game so the lower levels aren't being invaded as much yet.

sixghost

OK wth.

Keep in mind that the invasion covenant is found much later in the game. You're only able to use the cracked red orbs once you are in that covenant, I believe. So the only invasions you are really going to get early on is the
bell covenant in Belfry Luna
and the
rat covenant in Grave of the Saints

Dresden

The bracing knuckle ring is my favorite item so far. It slows down durability loss to a point where I don't need to carry around backup weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom