• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like the early Demon's Souls days with black/white tendency. Nobody knows what the hell is going on. :p

I think there's something to the theory that it just restores part of your penalty. I had died twice, then helped with a boss, and didn't restore. I'll try again tonight, if I restore, I think that confirms it.

amoeba

Neo Member
So the
Bell
covenant is extremely useful.

Beyond the Titanite Chunks, defeating a trespasser will entirely refill your Estus Flask upon return to your world.

UnObtainium17 said:
There's a petrified guy blocking the bonfire in lost Bastille near sinners keep. What should I do?

You need a Fragrant Branch of Yore for that.

Using it on that guy will unlock the ability to use boss souls for upgrading weapons.

TraBuch

Banned
Are there any more petrified
NPCs besides Straid and the Pyromancy trainer? I have another unpetrify thing and I'm tempted to use it on that petrified enemy blocking a treasure chest in Shaded Ruins but I'm not going to if there's another NPC around.

What a dick he is.

I beat him the first time as a summon, after that, I tried to beat him in my own world. Lost 90k souls and 6 effigies in the process.

Oh good I thought I just sucked. He seems to have a pattern that is exploitable but he always gets me no matter how well I am doing. I had him beat one time and he got me on some stupid attack I thought I dodged away from.

Ultrabum

Are there any more petrified
NPCs besides Straid and the Pyromancy trainer? I have another unpetrify thing and I'm tempted to use it on that petrified enemy blocking a treasure chest in Shaded Ruins but I'm not going to if there's another NPC around.

There are many, I hate them.

-Ryn

Banned
It's like the early Demon's Souls days with black/white tendency. Nobody knows what the hell is going on. :p
lol Weird. Well guess we'll find out eventually.

I think there's something to the theory that it just restores part of your penalty. I had died twice, then helped with a boss, and didn't restore. I'll try again tonight, if I restore, I think that confirms it.

I'm wondering if it happens when you leave a world with a full health bar or at least past your current health penalty. Not sure if that's what you're talking about though.

Filth

I've been invaded once. I immediately got a blue sentinel bro summons. My bro was throwing huge ass lightning bolts at the rat. INVADER DEFEATED.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
2nd lordsoul down. Almost tempted to play the rest of the game in offline mode because I'm not getting invaded anyway, and seeing messages almost makes some things too easy.

Well, found this game's version of the VoD/Blighttown. But it's way more annoying due to how dangerous poison is now. :(

Lifegem > poison

ScrubJay

I got hammered and spent 3 hours dying over and over again last night just to reach the second bonfire in Forest of Giants. This is not a good drinking game :(

Knight for melee
Cleric or Sorc for casting

Swordsman is kinda hard mode in the beginning, since you have low VIG, END, VIT, and ADP. END and ADP are essential for dual wielding with Power Stance (which I am now able to do with a longsword and falchion at Level 43), but those stats start off low. When you do get stats up, it's incredibly rewarding.

Jobbs

Banned
bell tower is bullshit. I get to the top and pull the lever and ring the bell, and.. nothing. invaders come up and end up killing me.

meanwhile, pvp as an invader is kind of bullshit, too, because there always seems to be just that little bit of latency, so the host (not clear whether he has host advantage like in gears or not, it seems like he does, but either way) can swing his weapon when I'm moving back away from him and hit me when I'm out of range on my screen, and I have to sort of be psychic to try and hit him with my weapon.

Knight for melee
Cleric or Sorc for casting

bandit for melee if you want to use dext or quality, because bandit has less casting stats wasted than knight.

I think new Blighttown looks neat enough when you have the torch out. Really shows how nice the system can look and I hope it's expanded back into the PC version as shown in the previews.

Question for said area:
Does the central gutter lead only to the black gulch or am I missing something?

Aeana

I really feel like there's nothing sorcery excels at in this game. I do dramatically less damage than all of the melee people I've done co-op with (and clerics too with their lightning spear, which does at least 3x what I'm doing), and compared to what people do in videos I've been watching, and I can take fewer hits, and can block fewer hits. I have a +4 archdrake staff, 40 INT, 15 faith. I could be convinced that it's something I'm doing wrong, but it's just really losing its luster. I'm considering starting over as some sort of melee character.

When they break down the humanity summon mechanic and it turns out to be around 20%, will someone give me a dollar?

2nd lordsoul down. Almost tempted to play the rest of the game in offline mode because I'm not getting invaded anyway, and seeing messages almost makes some things too easy.

Lifegem > poison

Shoot, I'm getting invaded every two seconds! I got my first lord soul and also discovered the Gutter. Man, does it remind me of 5-1 from Demon's Souls.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Swordsman is kinda hard mode in the beginning, since you have low VIG, END, VIT, and ADP. END and ADP are essential for dual wielding with Power Stance (which I am now able to do with a longsword and falchion at Level 43), but those stats start off low. When you do get stats up, it's incredibly rewarding.

I'd agree with this. I had a brutal time getting through Forest of Giants and the early part of Heilde with a Swordsman. After leveling a bit and discovering some helpful rings, the game really turned around, but what a rough start.

Not sure how I feel about Power Stance though. It can really wreck enemies with a good opening, but with so many narrow arenas and pitfalls, I find avoiding damage with rolling still pretty difficult without a shield. Nice addition though and very risky to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom