• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm getting ready to begin upgrading my gear. Is there anything that changed from Dark Souls 1??

Off the top of my head, the biggest change I'm noticing is that different upgrade paths open up much later in the game as opposed to the first game. I'm 15 hours in and I still haven't found a way to give my weapons elemental upgrades.

Exr

The crows in Things Betwixt are amazing if you have a lot of the smooth stones. Got a titanite slab and some humanity.

Prototype

Rocking the bastard sword until I get pull off wielding the Guts sword without fat roll.

I did the same thing. I just armored down until I was under 70%. That's the first cutoff so far as I know. Been using it ever since. Thought I do switch back to sword and shield for some sections if I die too many times.

I said right in the post you quoted that I have a +4 archdrake staff.

I have all of the sorceries that the vendor at the wharf sold, plus the great soul arrow found in the forest. I don't have
soul spear, soul vortex, homing soul mass
because I haven't come across them. I don't use magic weapon because if I wanted to melee, I would play a melee role. I was able to do Dark Souls without having to melee. If the solution to my problem is to melee more then I might as well make a new character. I am currently
in the Bastille, wiping endlessly to the sentinels

It was my understanding that the soul vessel takes you to the base stats of the class you started the game with, which would put me at quite a disadvantage I'd wager.

Take it to the old ladies in Things Betwixt.

Edit - oh wait, I see what you're saying, I think. Yeah it would, but I don't think it'd be too huge a deal unless you were hoping to make a perfect build first time around.

Dresden

I have all the chunks and slabs in the world but no large shards to take my weapon past +5.

Did you like Blighttown and VoD? I loved both areas so if you hated them and also hate this one, then I look forward to it ;)

I'm ambivalent about VoD and a staunch defender of Blighttown. It just looks bad, man. :(

DrTeflon

Ok, I need some weapon advice now. Anyone managed to find a weapon with good str scaling? I was using
Heides sword +4
but since that one has a D or C str scaling, I switched to a mace. Anything better?
I'm at the lost sinner

Tried the
chariot boss
5 times now, still suck at it. Any way to make the
skelletons die for good?

sixghost

For people who have found the fang key,
where did the bird lady go?

She goes to the mine area. I forget the exact name of the bonfire, but it's the one on the ground floor of the very first area you see the white robe mages. The one with the zip lines.
I had to look it up online myself. She makes it sound like she's relocating to an area that's very close to where you rescue her.
I said right in the post you quoted that I have a +4 archdrake staff.

I have all of the sorceries that the vendor at the wharf sold, plus the great soul arrow found in the forest. I don't have
soul spear, soul vortex, homing soul mass
because I haven't come across them. I don't use magic weapon because if I wanted to melee, I would play a melee role. I was able to do Dark Souls without having to melee. If the solution to my problem is to melee more then I might as well make a new character. I am currently
in the Bastille, wiping endlessly to the sentinels
There's nothing wrong with being versatile. If you aren't interested in any sort of Melee, I'm not sure what advice to give.

So, does Great Magic Barrier not work or something? I'm in
The Shrine of Amana and I seriously cannot get past the constant homing soul arrows, and that miracle doesn't seem to do shit for me. Can't even hit the enemies with a Lightning Spear without 3-4 soul arrows hitting me. The whole wading through water thing isn't really helping matters either.

Artorias

Banned
OK wth.

Is it strange that I'm level 50 now, have spend most of the game in human form, and I've never been invaded? Not once.

My online is working, I have been summoned to help and have summoned other people to help me.

I was thinking the same thing. I just witnessed my first invasion in another players game, right before the
Chariot
boss. He tried to bait us into the guys that drop down from the pillars but we waited for him and took him down. It was fun! I hope it becomes common soon haha.

Maybe someone can help me? I'm not sure where to go

ive defeat the boss in sinners rise and got the thing that cures petrified people but used on the Mage in the lost Bastille thinking it was an infinite use item, so I can't cure the person near the guy with the blue sword. I've beaten the giant and the pursuer as well.

Brohan

Just beat
The Rotten, what a incredibly Easy fight for a great soul. Killed it in one try. Very easy if you have a shield that blocks 100% physical.

hiryu

I really feel like there's nothing sorcery excels at in this game. I do dramatically less damage than all of the melee people I've done co-op with (and clerics too with their lightning spear, which does at least 3x what I'm doing), and compared to what people do in videos I've been watching, and I can take fewer hits, and can block fewer hits. I have a +4 archdrake staff, 40 INT, 15 faith. I could be convinced that it's something I'm doing wrong, but it's just really losing its luster. I'm considering starting over as some sort of melee character.

Why not just respec?

is anyone else bothered by the fact that in Hollow form, you always look like a male? i made a female character and she only has a female character model in Human form. what a pointless thing.

Why not just respec?
are you able to respec multiple times? do you need a soul vessel every time?

I'm currently SL50, and I started fiddling around with the halberd. Now, in both DeS and DkS, I loved this thing. But they seem to have completely changed up how it operates. Are all halberds this way, or is the vanilla halberd just a bad example? I used to love using that 360-degree swing in a pinch, but it doesn't seem to be present anymore. Does the weapon get better, or is this it?

I've been using a mace up to this point, and despite the miniscule range, it's a pretty solid weapon.

I really feel like there's nothing sorcery excels at in this game. I do dramatically less damage than all of the melee people I've done co-op with (and clerics too with their lightning spear, which does at least 3x what I'm doing), and compared to what people do in videos I've been watching, and I can take fewer hits, and can block fewer hits. I have a +4 archdrake staff, 40 INT, 15 faith. I could be convinced that it's something I'm doing wrong, but it's just really losing its luster. I'm considering starting over as some sort of melee character.

Good. Sounds like they made it not be easy mode for once. Demons/Dark with sorcery was a joke.

I'm currently SL50, and I started fiddling around with the halberd. Now, in both DeS and DkS, I loved this thing. But they seem to have completely changed up how it operates. Are all halberds this way, or is the vanilla halberd just a bad example? I used to love using that 360-degree swing in a pinch, but it doesn't seem to be present anymore. Does the weapon get better, or is this it?

I've been using a mace up to this point, and despite the miniscule range, it's a pretty solid weapon.

I'm in your exact situation. I started with a mace, found success, then started using the halberd and I'm totally underwhelmed. Now I'm about to respec so I can get back those points wasted in dex. Shitty thing is I wasted titanite on the halberd, hope I can find some more.

Anyone else having trouble with multiplayer?

When I join everything's working (messages, bloodstains, phantoms), but as soon as I use my white soapstone I get completely kicked out and everything disappears.

ive defeat the boss in sinners rise and got the thing that cures petrified people but used on the Mage in the lost Bastille thinking it was an infinite use item, so I can't cure the person near the guy with the blue sword. I've beaten the giant and the pursuer as well.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Excuse my ignorance it's been a while since I played a souls game how so you level up in DS2?

Talk to the Herald NPC in Majula. She's like the Maiden from Demons Souls. You trade souls to level up.

In the Tower area there should be a cleric chick praying. Keep talking to her until she tells you that she will leave. She should reappear at that starting area village (not Things Betwixt, the one after) and open a mechanism for you down that flight of stairs where you normally go to the Tower. There will be another petrification cure you can find eventually.

Stoze

So uh is there something I'm missing regarding a certain shortcut? I'm near cardinal tower, after making my way up a tree branch and killing a bunch of archers, I'm at a spot where a guy is throwing a firebomb and standing on the corner of a platform (which I think is where a miniboss is, haven't tried yet). He's throwing them near a cracked wall and barrels which has messages around it like "shortcut here" but I can't seem to destroy the wall, with my sword strikes, my firebombs, or even the enemies' firebombs hitting it. Am I looking at the wrong wall?

ZanDatsu

Anyone any idea what time the UK/EU version unlocks on PSN? I just drank coffee and then realized it might not even unlock at midnight.

FiraB

Banned

Don't worry you find more out there.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So uh is there something I'm missing regarding a certain shortcut? I'm near cardinal tower, after making my way up a tree branch and killing a bunch of archers, I'm at a spot where a guy is throwing a firebomb and standing on the corner of a platform (which I think is where a miniboss is, haven't tried yet). He's throwing them near a cracked wall and barrels which has messages around it like "shortcut here" but I can't seem to destroy the wall, with my sword strikes, my firebombs, or even the enemies' firebombs hitting it. Am I looking at the wrong wall?

They have to hit the barrels and trigger an explosion.

zewone

Are phantoms and shade summons the same thing?
what's the difference between the two?

Phantoms behave like they have in the previous games.

Shades are using the small white stone and are on a time limit and/or kill limit.

If they get too many kills they vanish quicker.

I have no idea why anyone would use a small white soapstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom