• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm playing a dex/int user and sorceries have saved my life numerous times. Then again I am using it as a backup instead of my main method of attack. Will say I still haven't found a int scaling weapon, although there are several faith scaling ones :/ Anyone find one?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Question about the Warf area

Is there any way to get back on the pirate ship? I forgot to get the pyromancy flame before getting off. Or is there another place I can get one?

Finally killed the Ruin Sentinels during a summon. Now if I could just get a competent set if phantoms for my world.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Only 10 fucking hours.

Soul level 70+.

1 of the big 4 down, was about to get on with the second one.

360 version of Titanfall will shortly be here as well.

And today my Slim 250GB 360 decides to give me some Error 64 red light bullshit.

iUYMpmBHh62Z5.gif

I hate being alive. Dark Souls 2 was my only escape where I could vicariously be (un)dead through my character but now even that is taken from me.

Why gaf

I could really use some advice on my choice of weapon. I started off Knight, picked up a Falchion, and decided I didn't really like it after upgrading it to +4. It has no crowd control and the reach is a little iffy for me. Then I started messing around with a Bastard Sword (two-handed since my strength isn't high enough), also upgraded it to +4, and I'm loving the moveset, damage, and range. Problem is, I can't use a shield which is giving me massive problems with (first third of game boss spoilers)
Ruin Sentinels

I rolled Uchigatana in DS1 and it worked out fantastically, but I haven't found any katanas yet and the guide says that the Uchigatana requires a later game item to buy. I'm not really partial to either STR or DEX on principle, I just want something with a moveset that's good in a variety of situations, and that I can ideally use a shield with. Or should I maybe just stick with the Bastard Sword and learn to roll? My equip load is under 70%.

Too many options...

Zeliard

I'd agree with this. I had a brutal time getting through Forest of Giants and the early part of Heilde with a Swordsman. After leveling a bit and discovering some helpful rings, the game really turned around, but what a rough start.

Not sure how I feel about Power Stance though. It can really wreck enemies with a good opening, but with so many narrow arenas and pitfalls, I find avoiding damage with rolling still pretty difficult without a shield. Nice addition though and very risky to use.

I use power stance with dual upgraded Falchions and it's quite effective. One of my favorite combos to use is R1 followed by L1, which does a quick three-hit slash. It's fast and has decent recovery. Takes up some stamina but so long as you're managing that properly, it works well.

Another nice thing about having a Falchion in the left hand is you can parry with it while dual-wielding in the normal stance.

Uiki

I could really use some advice on my choice of weapon. I started off Knight, picked up a Falchion, and decided I didn't really like it after upgrading it to +4. It has no crowd control and the reach is a little iffy for me. Then I started messing around with a Bastard Sword (two-handed since my strength isn't high enough), also upgraded it to +4, and I'm loving the moveset, damage, and range. Problem is, I can't use a shield which is giving me massive problems with (first third of game boss spoilers)
Ruin Sentinels

I rolled Uchigatana in DS1 and it worked out fantastically, but I haven't found any katanas yet and the guide says that the Uchigatana requires a later game item to buy. I'm not really partial to either STR or DEX on principle, I just want something with a moveset that's good in a variety of situations, and that I can ideally use a shield with. Or should I maybe just stick with the Bastard Sword and learn to roll? My equip load is under 70%.

Too many options...

I always usd the uchigatana too...

Have you find the
fire sword-something
near-ish the bonfire in the tower? 25 hours in and i'm still using that upgraded to the max.

Only 10 fucking hours.

Soul level 70+.

1 of the big 4 down, was about to get on with the second one.

360 version of Titanfall will shortly be here as well.

And today my Slim 250GB 360 decides to give me some Error 64 red light bullshit.

iUYMpmBHh62Z5.gif

I hate being alive. Dark Souls 2 was my only escape where I could vicariously be (un)dead through my character but now even that is taken from me.

Why gaf

Aww, that sucks, hope you can find a solution soon.

I'll start DS2 tomorrow on my fat 360 from 2007 and I'm praying I'll be able to finish it before my console implodes. It could fizzle out at any moment now. As if the Souls games weren't stressful enough...

sixghost

I really feel like there's nothing sorcery excels at in this game. I do dramatically less damage than all of the melee people I've done co-op with (and clerics too with their lightning spear, which does at least 3x what I'm doing), and compared to what people do in videos I've been watching, and I can take fewer hits, and can block fewer hits. I have a +4 archdrake staff, 40 INT, 15 faith. I could be convinced that it's something I'm doing wrong, but it's just really losing its luster. I'm considering starting over as some sort of melee character.

Ok, so I have three questions for you. How much have you upgraded your catalyst? What sorceries do you have? Do you have a decent melee weapon to take advantage of Magic Weapon?

My sorcery really shifted into gear once I got past
Dead Man's Wharf
, and then again once I rescued spell vendor that's
petrified in Bastille/Sinner's Keep.
. The great versions of soul arrow seem to do a lot more damage. Magic Weapon/Great Magic Weapon is doing a ton of damage when melee is required, and I've got a few spells that are great crowd control.

Here's my usual spell lineup with 20 ATT and the
Southern Ring+1, and the ring that increase cast speed.
Great Soul Arrow
Great Heavy Soul Arrow
Great Magic Weapon
Soul Spear
Soul Vortex
Homing Soul Mass

I'll switch Magic Weapon in for Great Soul Arrow, Soul Spear, or Soul Vortex if the area is melee heavy.

I've been doing really well in PvP, especially after getting HMS. The key for PvP is being able to switch to melee once they get close. People have a real hard time dodge both HMS, Soul Arrows, and an upgraded Falchion with Great Magic Weapon. I've beaten a ton of bosses on my first shot solely because of the strength of magic projectiles.

PM me or ask in here if you need to know where some of these spells are. Soul Spear and HMS were particularly difficult to find. Magic still seems really damn strong in this game.

Does anyone know what the size of the summon sign represents? That they killed the boss already in their game maybe?

Are there NPC summons for (Huntsman's Copse)
Executioner Chariot and/or Skelteon Lords
?
Tried getting everywhere but the cliff area and couldn't find a soul sign.

I'm trying to do the fights with the NPCs alive when I can just in case there are sidequests associated with that.

Kensuke

I use power stance with dual upgraded Falchions and it's quite effective. One of my favorite combos to use is R1 followed by L1, which does a quick three-hit slash. It's fast and has decent recovery. Takes up some stamina but so long as you're managing that properly, it works well.

Another nice thing about having a Falchion in the left hand is you can parry with it while dual-wielding in the normal stance.

Where did you get a second Falchion?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Aww, that sucks, hope you can find a solution soon.

I'll start DS2 tomorrow on my fat 360 from 2007 and I'm praying I'll be able to finish it before my console implodes. It could fizzle out at any moment now. As if the Souls games weren't stressful enough...

Imagine playing on a used 2005 launch 360.

It would be like Majora's Mask but when you run out of time you actually run out of motherfuckin' time.

AngryMoth

Just picked the
fang key
in
shaded woods
. I could swear I've been past a locked door in this area but I've been back throught the whole thing and can't find it.

skynidas

Banned
Just picked the
fang key
in
shaded woods
. I could swear I've been past a locked door in this area but I've been back throught the whole thing and can't find it.

it's in the cave you fall into on the right side of the area coming from the bonfire

Great news everybody, I found where you can finally get boss weapons!
In bastille, use a fragrant branch on the statue blocking the bonfire. Select trade, and bam boss weapons. Best part abut it only souls required, no +10 weapons needed here.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
No, I meant
uchigatana, Iaito, washing pole or berserker sword

Something that has multiple type of attacks and it's dex based.
All Katanas in the game (using the guide)
Uchigatana
Washing Pole
Blacksteel Katana
Chaos Blade
Manslayer
Berserker Blade
Darkrift

Uiki

For you and all my fellow katana using brethren, the earliest one I have found (using it right now) is the
Blacksteel Katana
, located in
The Iron Keep
as a drop off the mobs in the entrance.

Oh that's perfect. I'm there now.. guess i'm gonna farm as much as I can.

Uchigatana
Washing Pole
Blacksteel Katana
Chaos Blade
Manslayer
Berserker Blade
Darkrift

Whoa. Now I want them all.

koryuken

I really feel like there's nothing sorcery excels at in this game. I do dramatically less damage than all of the melee people I've done co-op with (and clerics too with their lightning spear, which does at least 3x what I'm doing), and compared to what people do in videos I've been watching, and I can take fewer hits, and can block fewer hits. I have a +4 archdrake staff, 40 INT, 15 faith. I could be convinced that it's something I'm doing wrong, but it's just really losing its luster. I'm considering starting over as some sort of melee character.

Don't start over, just use the Soul Vessel to re-spec. That's one thing I am glad they added to the game, although it does make it more "casul".

Aeana

Ok, so I have three questions for you. How much have you upgraded your catalyst? What sorceries do you have? Do you have a decent melee weapon to take advantage of Magic Weapon?

My sorcery really shifted into gear once I got past
Dead Man's Wharf
, and then again once I rescued spell vendor that's
petrified in Bastille/Sinner's Keep.
. The great versions of soul arrow seem to do a lot more damage. Magic Weapon/Great Magic Weapon is doing a ton of damage when melee is required, and I've got a few spells that are great crowd control.

Here's my usual spell lineup with 20 ATT and the
Southern Ring+1.
Great Soul Arrow
Great Heavy Soul Arrow
Great Magic Weapon
Soul Spear
Soul Vortex
Homing Soul Mass

I'll switch Magic Weapon in for Great Soul Arrow, Soul Spear, or Soul Vortex if the area is melee heavy.

I've been doing really well in PvP, especially after getting HMS. The key for PvP is being able to switch to melee once they get close. People have a real hard time dodge both HMS, Soul Arrows, and an upgraded Falchion with Great Magic Weapon. I've beaten a ton of bosses on my first shot solely because of the strength of magic projectiles.

PM me or ask in here if you need to know where some of these spells are. Soul Spear and HMS were particularly difficult to find. Magic still seems really damn strong in this game.
I said right in the post you quoted that I have a +4 archdrake staff.

I have all of the sorceries that the vendor at the wharf sold, plus the great soul arrow found in the forest. I don't have
soul spear, soul vortex, homing soul mass
because I haven't come across them. I don't use magic weapon because if I wanted to melee, I would play a melee role. I was able to do Dark Souls without having to melee. If the solution to my problem is to melee more then I might as well make a new character. I am currently
in the Bastille, wiping endlessly to the sentinels

Don't start over, just use the Soul Vessel to re-spec.

It was my understanding that the soul vessel takes you to the base stats of the class you started the game with, which would put me at quite a disadvantage I'd wager.

Zeliard

Where did you get a second Falchion?

Pretty sure I just bought them both from the blacksmith.

okay. so you can summon them after you kill the bosses but there is no boss fight? whatsthe point?

The reason to summon people is to get help for a boss fight or just general level navigation. If you've already beaten the boss and explored the general area, there's no point.

If you want to fight bosses again, there are two ways. Put your summon sign near a boss door or bonfire, or other good summoning spot, or
use a bonfire ascetic to make them respawn

Ferr986

Welp, for all my complaining, I've been playing straight for 4 hours and didnt really notice.
Gotta say that although I had a hard time in the forest, the boss was really REALLY easy.
I hope tomorrow I can do some jolly co op there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom