• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohel

Much harder, in my opinion. All of the changes that people thought would make the game easier and more accessible before launch haven't made the game easier at all, and in some cases have made it harder.

I definitely feel like the game is harder I'm already stuck on scrub mobs lol but I did pick swordsman and I'm not using a shield

mxgt

Banned
Fuck yeah, beat the
Lost Sinner
after about 6-7 attempts. Tough boss, I was fighting him all wrong to start. Refined strategy and was victorious a few attempts later. That's why I love Souls games.

Edit: As for weapons, I've been using the Estoc since I first was able to buy it and I still fucking love it. Got it at +8 at the moment and it's so good.

Yep. It's "good" that they went from maybe a little bit overpowered to weaker than everything else in the game. Thumbs up.

Ranged should do less damage though. You don't have to be in the mobs face and risk getting hit a bunch for damage. I'm not seeing the issue here

derwalde

Have you tried
the Dragonride
r's Twinblade?

I like it. :)

i guess you make that out of the normal twinblade? if so, i havent unlocked the option to forge boss souls yet (which surprises me, considering im about lvl85. i guess i missed something?!)

zewone

For weapons, I chose Swordsman, so I using the upgraded short sword and scimitar.

But, once I got lightning spear from
the sad Sunbro
, I've been using that.

i guess you make that out of the normal twinblade? if so, i havent unlocked the option to forge boss souls yet (which surprises me, considering im about lvl85. i guess i missed something?!)
You trade boss souls for weapons from an NPC.

I'm SL60, so you may have missed it. It's pretty easy to miss actually.

Aeana

Ranged should do less damage though. You don't have to be in the mobs face and risk getting hit a bunch for damage. I'm not seeing the issue here
The phrase "glass cannon" comes from being able to do a lot of damage but being able to take very little. And in this game in particular, you are very rarely at range from anything; enemies are constantly in your face, and often in groups which is a change from the other games. Every boss I've fought so far has had attacks that allow them to close gaps quickly, negating any "ranged advantage" I would have had.

dont tell me the halberd is shit now. that was the weapon i was looking at next lol.

I hesitate to call it shit - it's served me well in a few scenarios - but it's moveset is nowhere near as good as it was in the first DS. On the plus side you can use it with your shield up if you want - the damage is piddly and the stamina usage is great but you can do it. If the weapon description is right it only deals slash damage now, as opposed to being able to slash and pierce before. The new moveset leaves you a lot more open. On top of that you now get a penalty for attacking people too close, in which you hit them with the shaft of the halberd for reduced damage. You have to hit an enemy in the weapon's sweet spot so to speak. If you fight someone using a halberd they probably wouldn't be too pleased if you got all up in their face...

Klyka

Banned
I feel like dual wielding just has barely a place in this since you can't block. Yes you can parry, but that doesn't work against everything.

TraBuch

Banned
Anyone found a weapon with a similar moveset to the Balder Side Sword yet? I asked yesterday and apparently the closest thing anyone found was a Longsword with the 2hR2 thrust and a greatsword.

How do you get the treasure or whatever it is in the same room as the
Sentinels boss fight?
It's on a ledge that almost looks close enough to jump to, but I can't seem to make it (even with no armor on).

Sifl

There's an area in my game that's completely fucked. From the first bonfire of
Doors of Pharros
to the bonfire near the boss
Royal Rat Something
every single enemy is frozen. They can't be locked onto or attacked but I can move them around by running into them. The enemies on the path that leads to
Brightstone Cove
are completely fine though. Looks like no killing
rats for Pharros Lockstones
:( . Resetting my game doesn't fix it either.

Venfayth

Nobody knew last time I asked, maybe somebody knows now!

In the Shaded Woods
After you free the Harpy woman from behind the door, she says she'll see you at her home. Where is that?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got into this a little as I couldn't pull myself away from Titanfall, but man I feel dumb. How do I use souls to level now?

Majula is a pretty cool place, I like the music there a lot. Didn't really seem to do much there, found a slab that let me join a covenant that I have no idea what it does, went off some random path and I've been going through
Forest of Fallen Giants
. I went with the Knight class and really need to find a damn shield.

You can't get it from the ledge where you enter. After you beat the boss you can get to the other ledge and jump from there.

Damn, that's where I was trying to jump from, but can't seem to make it. You're talking about the bigger L shaped ledge right? Not the small one you fall into at the start of the fight?

Ourobolus

Banned
Just got to Heide's Tower. WTF at the 3
knights together in the beginning? I can take them on one by one, but fuck me. I guess I'll have to lure them out one by one...

Zeliard

This is basically exactly how I am playing now. Just hunting for more titanite to get them more upgraded.

Another move I love with the Falchion power stance is backstep + L1. Does an awesome-looking two-sword twirl with excellent range. It's great for punishing misses.

I feel like dual wielding just has barely a place in this since you can't block. Yes you can parry, but that doesn't work against everything.

Rolling and backstepping still work well for defense once you get the ADP stat up to a respectable number.

I still keep a shield in one of my equipment slots for the times when I'm going through a new environment or when I'm learning new enemy patterns, but most enemies I've faced so far have actually had fairly slow attacks (albeit very damaging if they land a hit) that you can predict and dodge. The quicker enemies can be parried as well.

TheContact

I have a bad habit of farming the same area over and over until the enemies stop respawning then I move onto the next block of enemies and repeat =/ I need to get out of this habit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom