• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

Started playing for a few hours. Very good so far! Comments:

-After last minute deliberations, I made a Bandit. Dex build for me this time around.

-Raised my adaptability up to 10 ASAP. Makes a difference. Put a few points in End/Dex too.

-I found a shortsword in the Forest and it's very quick and powerful. I've been killing enemies really fast. Just bought a Falchion and upgraded it to +1. It's even more powerful and just as (or about) as fast.

-I had two close calls but managed to survive somehow.

-Got the Ring of Binding :) Gotta love suicide runs in these games. Though you have to kill a strong enemy really fast when getting the ring.

-Enemies playing dead is cheap! But my past Souls experience is really helping. There was an item early in the Forest, and I picked it up, and I was like "let me guess, an enemy's behind me now?" Yup. Seems there are more surprise enemies now.

-No more sliding down ladders, noooo!

-Really like the gestures haha. I don't think anyone's mentioned them. I like them better than Dark Souls 1's.

-Fire effects are like early PS2 levels in the Forest :x

-Definitely liking the fast travel. Loading times are too long though.

-Framerate on PS3 seems solid in my experience. At least, there have been no noticeable dips.

You can still slide down ladders. Hold down circle and go down on the analog stick.

Aeana

Finally beat the
sentinels
boss. The NPC you can summon for that fight managed to divert attention long enough for me to do what I needed to do, but it was still a very close fight. I've been using the dark orb hex a bit, and it's pretty interesting. The damage it does is respectable, but it travels pretty slowly. I wonder if any of the other hexes that are usable with a staff are worth messing around with. I'll have to go check them out when I get some more souls.

Soriku

Oh yeah, I heard you can get a ring that gives you 20% more souls, and it's easy to get.

Buy the full Traveling Merchant set for 10k from the old lady Melentia and shell give it to you.

Edit: Wait, this is wrong. You just need to spend 10k on anything.

-After last minute deliberations, I made a Bandit. Dex build for me this time around.

-Raised my adaptability up to 10 ASAP. Makes a difference. Put a few points in End/Dex too.

-I found a shortsword in the Forest and it's very quick and powerful. I've been killing enemies really fast. Just bought a Falchion and upgraded it to +1. It's even more powerful and just as (or about) as fast.

-I had two close calls but managed to survive somehow.

-Got the Ring of Binding :) Gotta love suicide runs in these games. Though you have to kill a strong enemy really fast when getting the ring.

-Enemies playing dead is cheap! But my past Souls experience is really helping. There was an item early in the Forest, and I picked it up, and I was like "let me guess, an enemy's behind me now?" Yup. Seems there are more surprise enemies now.

-Really like the gestures haha. I don't think anyone's mentioned them. I like them better than Dark Souls 1's.

-Fire effects are like early PS2 levels in the Forest :x

-Definitely liking the fast travel. Loading times are too long though.

-Framerate on PS3 seems solid in my experience. At least, there have been no noticeable dips.

You can slide down ladders, hold down B/O and press down on the analog.

Edit: Beaten thrice, sorry!

-Ryn

Banned

You can actually still slide down by holding Circle (or B on the 360) while holding down. You can also go up faster by holding it while going up.

The gestures are awesome yeah. I haven't come across that many though. Hope I find more.

Finally beat the
sentinels
boss. The NPC you can summon for that fight managed to divert attention long enough for me to do what I needed to do, but it was still a very close fight. I've been using the dark orb hex a bit, and it's pretty interesting. The damage it does is respectable, but it travels pretty slowly. I wonder if any of the other hexes that are usable with a staff are worth messing around with. I'll have to go check them out when I get some more souls.

That fight was hard...but enjoyable. I didn't use the summon (I always forget). I pretty much just killed the first guy...and then immediately switched to ranged to hit the next guy who then jumps up...then you jump down and go to work.

AngryMoth

Got summoned as a grey phantom earlier. Anyone explain how this works? I Thought it would be a co-op thing so I started killing enemies but then the host started fighting me so it's a pvp thing I guess.

Sakura

In Huntsmans Copse, just beat
Executioners Chariot. First time I walked in, I quickly ran to the right not knowing what to do, only do fall straight to my death. real nice.

Failed miserably at my first two invasions. The first one was 3 people playing cooperatively, just as they entered a boss fight so I got booted and lost the red eye orb. The second time, the person seemed relatively easy to challenge, until a blue phantom showed up with some soul arrows and I got double teamed into oblivion. Shucks.

theytookourjobz

Got summoned as a grey phantom earlier. Anyone explain how this works? I Thought it would be a co-op thing so I started killing enemies but then the host started fighting me so it's a pvp thing I guess.

Yeah they are covenant related. If you're in the rat area, members of that covenant will summon you and I think some other covenants work the same way.

Audioboxer

So while your avatar is on a journey to break the curse you'll be on a journey to mend the heart?

Sucks though dude. Best of luck.
If you're ever in need of some jolly cooperation on the 360 send me a message.

Hah! Love that, put a smile on my face. I'm playing on PS3 though!

Fbh

Hate to ask again so soon...but anyone know where to get Cleric armor (if youre another class--I love the look). Google is no halp.

Gotta be a perfect jump at the corner...but the item isnt worth it...Trust me :O

Wow, really?

Must have spent like 10 minutes in that place trying to get to the other side xD.

you could use the 10k souls you got from the giant to level up and upgrade your gear.

then head on to heide's tower of flame to fight the
dragonrider

if you start at the bonfire at majula, you go past the blacksmith and you'll see a cave with stairs. go down there, & follow the path to heide's

if you go to the place where you fought the last giant, backtrack to that first door on the left with the skeleton in front of it, open it, and inside you'll find a bastard sword.

Dresden

Finally found another large titanite shard. With that, got my sword up to +6, and then up to +9 with all the titanite chunks I had. Not a huge bump up in damage, but enough to save me a swing or so per enemy.

you could use the 10k souls you got from the giant to level up and upgrade your gear.

then head on to heide's tower of flame to fight the
dragonrider

if you start at the bonfire at majula, you go past the blacksmith and you'll see a cave with stairs. go down there, & follow the path to heide's

if you go to the place where you fought the last giant, backtrack to that first door on the left with the skeleton in front of it, open it, and inside you'll find a bastard sword.

Thanks

Finally found another large titanite shard. With that, got my sword up to +6, and then up to +9 with all the titanite chunks I had. Not a huge bump up in damage, but enough to save me a swing or so per enemy.

have you been to the mansion in majula? there's a titanite slab in the basement of it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Loving the game so far but frustrated at my current situation.

I killed the first boss and have the S key, but the
locked building every guide tells me to go to get to the next area the tower something is still locked!

Is this a bug or am I just an idiot missing something?

Aeana

I find that most of the time I go to summon another player, it tells me that the summon failed. I try most times I see a symbol but I believe I've only actually managed to summon 3 people into my game total after 20 hours. Has anybody else had this problem?

Playing a lot of co op this time around. Just something great about being summoned and doing the Channeler's Trident dance as soon as I get into their world.

isual

I find that most of the time I go to summon another player, it tells me that the summon failed. I try most times I see a symbol but I believe I've only actually managed to summon 3 people into my game total after 20 hours. Has anybody else had this problem?

thats just your internt, or people summoned them already

LordCanti

Very late game observation:
Helped like ten people kill the dragon boss....almost all Vengarl set + A big sword/shield. No one is using magic :p

Aeana

thats just your internt, or people summoned them already
No, I get a different message entirely if someone already summoned them. The message says that someone already summoned them.
The message I'm talking about is just "Summon failed."

I had to spam summoning people from signs, just because they fail or aren't there anymore right away. I think it's just because the multiplayer is so active that people are picking up the signs almost immediately.

Also make sure your region settings are on allowed and not restricted because I changed that and had a lot better luck with summons. At least, while the servers were working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom