• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly it seems that for hexes to be particularly effective, you need faith in addition to intelligence. Then again, I'm still wondering if I should even bother raising intelligence much beyond what I have since it hasn't had a big effect on my damage.

I put my INT up to 32+ now and it's raised Soul Arrow damage by MAYBE 10 pts. It seems completely worthless.

Nvm, I'm retarded. I'll still give Gaf the W.
So before I get serious with levelling, should I get the bare min faith and attunement so I can equip soul arrow and heal? My prim is dex and strength.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like dual wielding just has barely a place in this since you can't block. Yes you can parry, but that doesn't work against everything.

I've been using it exclusively so far and I fucking love it. The thrill of having to dodge every attack perfectly and picking the right spots to do your own attacks is a very rewarding way to play. Maybe I will get further and decide it's no longer doable, but so far it's the only way I want to play.

Dresden

Nvm, I'm retarded. I'll still give Gaf the W.
So before I get serious with levelling, should I get the bare min faith and attunement so I can equip soul arrow and heal? My prim is dex and strength.

Unless you're planning on going magic or faith, I wouldn't bother with either of those. For melee, get ADP up asap.

TraBuch

Banned
If anyone's interested, the Foot Soldier Sword has a moveset almost identical to the Balder Side Sword. Unfortunately, it only scales D/E.

dubq

Actually you can sell it if you go up to the top floor of the building behind
all the weird black orangutan monsters (hate them so much) in No Man's Wharf.
There will be a Dwarf dude drinking in the corner and he will buy your stuff.
Perfect timing. I just got here. ;)

Dartastic

So, I'm like 6 or so hours in, and I've gotten past the first couple areas. I have the option of heading up to the cathedral, or down into the darkness from the first castley looking area. Does anyone feel like this game, while still good, just isn't as good as the first? Like, I don't know how to put it into words but it's just not as satisfying, and the environments aren't as engaging yet. I still LIKE it, but yeah.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone able to answer my questions about PS3 disc performance issues? Should I go with the download version?

So after first major boss next area
scorpion man, all I want to know is there something I can do to him right now, or do I keep going and come back later.

Filth

cool, it can be a little confusing because is a long way but I think it is worth it,
from Majula go left into the passage where the lady that is petrified is, examine her to bring her back to life (you probably have the item to do this already). get into the building, you will have three paths, left, center, right, go right into the fog, simply run straight to not get killed. when you get to the shaded ruins explore until you get to the boss (it is on the east side from the bonfire), after the lady scorpion boss you will get to the area where the dwarves are, i don't know how rare the drop is but i got the shield from them in my first run

Thanks sunbro. I already un-petrified her. Maybe I took the wrong path when I went there. I know the Npc that trades the boss souls is in the Bastilla zone. Any details on where exactly?

Do destroyed chests come back? A crowd of the gyrm guys just bum-rushed me and destroyed a chest I was next to. Don't remember the name of the area, a cave with water and I was on the upper floor. Right before (boss)
rat king-guy-thing

void666

Banned
Goddamnit, helped defeat a boss in Heide's, didn't become human.

I helped defeat a boss
(sentinels)
and i'm sure i got revived. I remember seeing my health bar full and the face was human. I kept playing and after some time i realized i was undead again. I was so confused. I didn't recall being killed.

Dresden

Huh, lightning spear has a slight AOE component to it now. The damage isn't much - like 50~ or so spread out per enemy, while the main target is hit for 500~ ish - but it's still better than nothing.

Scher

So, I'm like 6 or so hours in, and I've gotten past the first couple areas. I have the option of heading up to the cathedral, or down into the darkness from the first castley looking area. Does anyone feel like this game, while still good, just isn't as good as the first? Like, I don't know how to put it into words but it's just not as satisfying, and the environments aren't as engaging yet. I still LIKE it, but yeah.

If anything, I'm having a lot of issues trying to enjoy the game. There's so much I can think of that I don't like in comparison to the other Souls games. I could easily go on a rant about
Belfry Gargoyles
and how the other Souls games did it much better. The biggest issue for me is that there's just absolutely no sense of progression for me because the game completely lacks any actual structure. Even something so simple as those inter medial goals in the original Dark Souls (ring bells, get vessel, etc.) does a lot for giving a sense of progression. There's honestly nothing that's given me any sense of achievement because all I can do is wonder what's next after exhausting what options I can find.

This game has honestly been pretty disappointing to me, and I don't know if I can muster the willpower to complete it. Maybe I'll just give it a little time and come back when I'm not so upset with it.

sixghost

Finally found another large titanite shard. With that, got my sword up to +6, and then up to +9 with all the titanite chunks I had. Not a huge bump up in damage, but enough to save me a swing or so per enemy.

The bell covenant giving out so many chunks is really weird given how rare large shards are in all the areas surrounding Bastille. I've had like 20 chunks and almost no large shards.

isual

If the bosses up to the smelt guy were easy for me, and now I'm stuck at him, you guys should have a hard time.

already have his moveset memorized.

eventually

The Lamp

Is there anyway to get pharros lockstones without joining the rat covenant? Besides the one you can buy from the old merchant that moves to Majula?

And is Lonesome Galvan REALLY only usable once in the game? He sells poison items and apparently he just disappears after you talk to him so you only have one chance to buy shit. But I was too poor. WTH FROM??

skynidas

Banned
Thanks sunbro. I already un-petrified her. Maybe I took the wrong path when I went there. I know the Npc that trades the boss souls is in the Bastilla zone. Any details on where exactly?

after you fight the sentinels go through the door down there, keep going and if you explore the next area you will get to him at some point. he is also petrified so you will another one of those items

Donuts

So I have absolutely no idea where to go next.

These are the area's I've seen and think I've cleared
Cathedral of Blue(killed old dragonslayer)
Heide's Tower of Flame(Killed the boss there)
Forest of Fallen Giants(killed giant and pursuer)
No Man's Wharf (killed boss and took the boat)
Sinners Rise (killed boss and unpetrified the mage)
Lost bastille(Killed the sentinels and found every bonfire)

Need some direction! Doesn't need to be "Hey do this and this and this" just something as simple as "check out that area again" or something

skynidas

Banned

Need some direction! Doesn't need to be "Hey do this and this and this" just something as simple as "check out that area again" or something

maybe it is time to
get down the well in Majula

Dresden

3 things that stick out at me:

a. lack of a direction - it's way too aimless in the beginning. There's no effort to guide the player at all; you have no clearly discernible objective (ring the bells! gather the lord souls!), and in its absence you just explore and fight through the world for the sake of it. There is something later on, but even that feels tenuous at best.

b. lackluster enemy designs - this extends to the bosses, too. Too many enemies look the same; there's reused creatures from DkS1; almost all the bosses are visually and mechanically boring.

c. MLGS still scales with Int - c'mon FROM, you could have gone full Demon's with this. (

Fbh

Just got invaded for the first time.

The guy absolutely destroyed me xD.
Is it me or are shield useless in PVP?

I'm going to get this on PC when it comes out, but I think I may pick it up on PS3 as well. I've heard things about performance issues with the disc version. Is there much truth to that? I don't mind downloading the game, but I want to be sure.

Performance on Ps3 is not really great.
It runs fine but it's not rare for it to go to mid 20's fps.

On the bright side I'm about 13 hours into the game and no area has come close to running as bad as Blightown.

I find that most of the time I go to summon another player, it tells me that the summon failed. I try most times I see a symbol but I believe I've only actually managed to summon 3 people into my game total after 20 hours. Has anybody else had this problem?

i generally have to clear out all the signs twice i just wait for the sound effect signifying they reset and hunt em down like mad.

my brother put on the co op ring and it seems like his signs are more plentiful not sure whcih god he chose

Maybe you should check out that big hole in Majula.

Edit: Beaten

I'm holding out for the PC release before finally buying the full game, but I decided to rent the 360 version to get a feel for the game.

Now, I've had a couple drinks, but I feel like when I do basic actions like raise my shield or use items things are sluggish. A lot of stuff feels like wading through water, my actions are arbitrarily slowed down despite stuff like attacks moving really quickly. It feels looser than Dark Souls. This is only after an hour or so of play, so I'm sure I'd adapt to things. Especially when not impaired.

Is this all linked to that agility skill? Do I have to level that to make the gam feel like DS1?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So I've finished the Forest of Fallen Giants. Treebeard and Pursuer have been elminated, and I have zero idea where I'm supposed to go next. Forest doesn't seem to lead anywhere so I went back to Majula. From there I can go to the place where the girl has been turned to stone in front of a switch. On the other end I can go down some stairs to an area of water, but the door is closed off. What am I missing?

Dresden

So I've finished the Forest of Fallen Giants. Treebeard and Pursuer have been elminated, and I have zero idea where I'm supposed to go next. Forest doesn't seem to lead anywhere so I went back to Majula. From there I can go to the place where the girl has been turned to stone in front of a switch. On the other end I can go down some stairs to an area of water, but the door is closed off. What am I missing?

after killing the pursuer, go to the room after it and look for a bird's nest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom