• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
???

He literally says the Forest is past the bonfire. Turn your camera around, and you see a way down from the bonfire. That's not the only area he mentioned either.

I'm pretty sure there are two ways to go from past the bonfire. Granted, I take your point but in comparison to the two games, the sequel lacks more disguised than the vanilla. Take that as you will.

mattp

I think there's something to the theory that it just restores part of your penalty. I had died twice, then helped with a boss, and didn't restore. I'll try again tonight, if I restore, I think that confirms it.

the very first time i dropped a summon sign i had 50% health, so 5 deaths
i fell off a cliff like 2 minutes after entering the person's game
when my game loaded i had a full hp bar and was human

so...i dont think your theory is it either
i have no clue what is going on

Filth

Can any1 tell me where to get the item to make a petrified person back to normal? I used one to open a path but I need another one for a merchant

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
The landscape of firelinkshrine makes it very clear as to which way you're supposed to go. They said there's a bell underground and one above. Firelink Shrine has a great deal of verticality so it's extremely easy to know where you're supposed to go. It's impossible to fuck up. This is not the case with Dark Souls 2. They just say gather souls. Granted, one of the NPCs say that you have to go to the forest regardless at first but there's no sense of direction as to which way leads to the forest. There is no implicit guidance in Dark Souls 2 compared to its predecessor.

Wait you're complaining because it's slightly less clear where the starting areas are? This is pretty nitpicky.

Can any1 tell me where to get the item to make a petrified person back to normal? I used one to open a path but I need another one for a merchant

theres one deep in the world past the rat kings lair i dont remember where i got it but i came back with one from down there

kayos90

Wait you're complaining because it's slightly less clear where the starting areas are? This is pretty nitpicky.

I'm only adding onto the point that dresden was making. I could care less as to whether the game itself disguises its guidance to help me. I'm only making an observation.

Soriku

I'm pretty sure there are two ways to go from past the bonfire. Granted, I take your point but in comparison to the two games, the sequel lacks more disguised than the vanilla. Take that as you will.

There are a few paths you can take from Majula, but only a single discernable way that's right next to the bonfire. The others are farther away. I really don't know how you can be confused.

In Dark Souls, the crestfallen dude tells you that you can go up to the Undead Burg and lower down to Blighttown. The way to the Undead Burg is somewhat obvious, but the directions to Blighttown is very vague. And I don't remember if he even mentions the Catacombs. In Dark Souls 2, all immediate areas are highlighted.

Ghazi

I have the worst luck with these things, I swear. I unwrapped my Black Armor Edition DS2 today and the first thing I noticed was that the steel case was dented and one of the hinges were bent. Ironically, my DS1 steel case was also like this when Amazon mailed it in, but this time I bought DS2 at GameStop, the disc was also just floating in the case.

Worth taking back for a replacement? I can't decide if this is a big deal to me or not, and if I should feel entitled to a good steel case. This wouldn't have been an issue if the case had housed a normal game box for it.

DC1

Jus beat:

Those 3
bosses. Quite a fight. The first one is easy but once you take him dow and the other 2 come at the same time it gets harder. It's not that it's a very hard fight but I wasn't doing much damage and they could drop like half my health in one hit... so I was tense the whole time.

Does anyone know how you get that item that is in the same area as the bosses (once you can see when you enter but I don't seem to be able to jump and get it)

Once you beat the boss the door that opens will lead you to the upstairs area. Just jump across.

sixghost

jesus christ I can not for the life of me beat the
skeleton lords
. any tips?

You probably realized this, but just in case,
the smaller skeletons and bonewheels only spawn when you kill one of the lords. Make sure you don't kill two of them in quick succession, or you're going to get overrun.

The framerate is horrendous on PS3 and I don't normally care about these things.

This game is very boring so far. Too much lame trial and error. I remember the bridge in DS1 where the Crimson Dragon would torch you if you set foot on it. That was cool. You could see the danger ahead and were punished for your curiosity.

But walking into a non suspect room and having 15 fire bombs dropped on your head from who knows where is dumb.

ElFly

So fucking tired of the belfry luna.

I get invaded non stop. Then nobody can be summoned when I am human. And those three dwarves before the door are super though

kayos90

There are a few paths you can take from Majula, but only a single discernable way that's right next to the bonfire. The others are farther away. I really don't know how you can be confused.

In Dark Souls, the crestfallen dude tells you that you can go up to the Undead Burg and lower down to Blighttown. The way to the Undead Burg is somewhat obvious, but the directions to Blighttown is very vague. And I don't remember if he even mentions the Catacombs. In Dark Souls 2, all immediate areas are highlighted.

It's not a matter of specific locations being called out. The geography and the landscape of Firelink Shrine made it extremely clear that you either find a path leading lower in elevation to ring the bell underground or higher in elevation in order to ring the bell in the tower. Simple as that. In Dark Souls II there isn't really something that meets that level of implicit guidance.

Ken

So fucking tired of the belfry luna.

I get invaded non stop. Then nobody can be summoned when I am human. And those three dwarves before the door are super though

Yeah that place was terrible. When I figured out what to do I just sprinted and ignored the enemies.

brinstar

You probably realized this, but just in case,
the smaller skeletons and bonewheels only spawn when you kill one of the lords. Make sure you don't kill two of them in quick succession, or you're going to get overrun.

.... so THAT'S it... I had been mowing down the 3 lords as fast as I could, guess I should take it slower

EDIT: There now I destroyed them super easily. Thanks!

Astral

Holy shit getting the Uchigatana is it's own fucking game. I finally have it and I'm disappointed to find out that it has a B scaling for DEX. There seriously isn't something better?

Jarate

Banned
The framerate is horrendous on PS3 and I don't normally care about these things.

This game is very boring so far. Too much lame trial and error. I remember the bridge in DS1 where the Crimson Dragon would torch you if you set foot on it. That was cool. You could see the danger ahead and were punished for your curiosity.

But walking into a non suspect room and having 15 fire bombs dropped on your head from who knows where is dumb.

I have never experienced anything similar to that

Be careful opening doors bro, you've always had to be careful opening doors in all the souls games.

RoeBear

Holy shit getting the Uchigatana is it's own fucking game. I finally have it and I'm disappointed to find out that it has a B scaling for DEX. There seriously isn't something better?

Sun Sword, mines at +10 and does
A scaling for Str/Dex

Also late location question again
Is there a closer fire to the creepy boss in Brightstone?

Just did some great sunbro'ing.

WIndmill spoilers
I got summoned before Medusa-boss. I went back, looked at the ground and saw poison. Went back to the summoner, did the 'no no no' gesture, then pointed out. He followed me to where the windmill was. I pointed to it. Pulled out my torch and walked to the ignition point. Walked out, pointed, and he went up, and I started praising the sun. It took about 10 seconds, but he figured it out and we were able to easily beat her.

Now, it's off to the rather foreboding Iron Keep.

Soriku

It's not a matter of specific locations being called out. The geography and the landscape of Firelink Shrine made it extremely clear that you either find a path leading lower in elevation to ring the bell underground or higher in elevation in order to ring the bell in the tower. Simple as that. In Dark Souls II there isn't really something that meets that level of implicit guidance.

In Dark Souls 2 the areas aren't designed in the same "up" or "down" fashion as Dark Souls. If it was more obvious to to you in Dark Souls because it was structured like that, OK, but that doesn't mean Dark Souls 2's layout is confusing.

And Majula isn't that big either. You can find all the paths really easily. There are only a few paths. One is down below, but you'll fall and die at that point. You can go to Heide, but the enemies are tough. Then there's another path near the guy with the Bluemoon Sword, but the way is blocked by a statue. There's only one path to go then, the Forest, which he says is near the bonfire. And there's only one way that's near the bonfire.

I mean, to each their own, but the paths were really obvious to me.

Astral

Just did some great sunbro'ing.

WIndmill spoilers
I got summoned before Medusa-boss. I went back, looked at the ground and saw poison. Went back to the summoner, did the 'no no no' gesture, then pointed out. He followed me to where the windmill was. I pointed to it. Pulled out my torch and walked to the ignition point. Walked out, pointed, and he went up, and I started praising the sun. It took about 10 seconds, but he figured it out and we were able to easily beat her.

Now, it's off to the rather foreboding Iron Keep.

What does doing that to the windmill do exactly? I did it just because the messages told me to.

Gartooth

Wow...
I can't believe it took me so long to notice the lever in the sewers
near Majula. Went to the subsequent area and killed a few bosses which definitely went better for me than the
Sentinels so far.

ElFly

Yeah that place was terrible. When I figured out what to do I just sprinted and ignored the enemies.

I just had to whine to get things right!

My diversification into spells and miracles paid off, and I could keep alive a summoned player for way longer than she should have survived.

Hurrah for miracles!

MechaX

The sweet smell of progress...
Managed to beat the Pursuer!

And then suddenly, Lost Bastille...
God damn that ambush room, holy fuck. That is one area I really, really, really wish had non-respawning enemies. And I got completely bodied by the Ruin Sentinels. Of course, I later picked up the Drangleic set and upgraded the Heide Sword instead of using this shitty halberd, so we'll see how this goes.

Also, I feel as if the traps are kinda... lacking so far. In Demon's and DkS1, usually a room littered with blood stains would mean that a pretty fucked up trap is approaching (ie, bridge dragons). Here, I see a room littered with blood stains, and it is only because people get ambushed by 2-3 guys around a corner without looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom