• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

It's not a matter of specific locations being called out. The geography and the landscape of Firelink Shrine made it extremely clear that you either find a path leading lower in elevation to ring the bell underground or higher in elevation in order to ring the bell in the tower. Simple as that. In Dark Souls II there isn't really something that meets that level of implicit guidance.
In addition, there are a lot of dead ends in this game (at least so far) that are really, really dumb. Like, you wouldn't really see these in DS1. I just fought the
Old Dragonslayer
and that lead to some dude that I don't know what to do with yet because he's being an ass and then downstairs to a bonfire. That's it. It was a dead end. The first boss that I fought in the Forest was a dead end also. Like, what? It's not great design at all.

georly

1. Map spoilers:
HOLY SHIT, the thing on the floor in the mansion in the back is the map of drangleic! Super cool!
2. Statue spoilers:
The girl said she wanted clothes, so, i warped back to majula to buy her some clothes (since i dont wanna give her any of mine) and I come back and she is gone. Where did she go!? Did i lose her forever?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The trio just fucked me up. How am I supposed to fight them again?

Summon NPC or deal with one first and then the other. There's a small window of time where the 2nd will jump on the platform but not the 3rd.

It becomes a regular enemy later on in the game because fuck you

Sakura

In addition, there are a lot of dead ends in this game (at least so far) that are really, really dumb. Like, you wouldn't really see these in DS1. I just fought the
Old Dragonslayer
and that lead to some dude that I don't know what to do with yet because he's being an ass and then downstairs to a bonfire. That's it. It was a dead end. The first boss that I fought in the Forest was a dead end also. Like, what? It's not great design at all.

It's not a dead end. It's a bonfire for you to fast travel to talk to that dude without having to fight through enemies every time.

Aeana

So fucking tired of the belfry luna.

I get invaded non stop. Then nobody can be summoned when I am human. And those three dwarves before the door are super though
The worst part about this place is that yearn doesn't work on those enemies. :(

So I've been playing this game (and loving it), and the illusory wall thing stumped the hell out of me until someone said to press X. That simple thing just made me realize why I love this game perhaps the best of all the Souls games already...it's not fully a Souls game.

What this game is in my humble opinion, is King's Field with the Souls battle system. The "press X to open hidden stuff" thing was a King's Field gimmick that I had forgotten in my older age thinking it'd be like a Souls game where you hit it. But more than that, the art direction, the map design, the songs, the crazy traps on walls and chests, even the fact that they put homage to the original Moonlight Sword design
in the Blue Moon Sword that dude near the beginning is carrying.
All of these little design choices when put together make this game feel like King's Field to me instead of Souls series. And I absolutely LOVED the King's Field series, so I think that's why this one is clicking so instantly with me.

Only thing I don't love about this game is the damn durability but I think everyone hates that. So yeah.

Nose Master

If anyone is jonesing for some Lockstones, join the
Rat
Covenant. You get one for every kill. Really fun.

Anyone else mark out when they found the NPC in Wharf that you could
sell items to? Decent prices.

PS: What does
curse
do and how do you cure it?

Annnnnd, when you kill an NPC, can you
temporary revive all of them with a prayer/soul donation? That's how it worked with the backpack merchant.

Sakura

If anyone is jonesing for some Lockstones, join the
Rat
Covenant. You get one for every kill. Really fun.

Anyone else mark out when they found the NPC in Wharf that you could
sell items to? Decent prices.

PS: What does
curse
do and how do you cure it?

Annnnnd, when you kill an NPC, can you
temporary revive all of them with a prayer/soul donation? That's how it worked with the backpack merchant.

You also get them for being summoned and killing the dude that summons you, so you can just hang out there and farm them too without joining the covenant.

Astral

I just learned that Ricard's Rapier has an A scaling in DEX. Has anyone used this? I wanna find out it's base attack and compare it to the Uchi's before I invest my souls into any upgrading.

AJLma

So I've been playing this game (and loving it), and the illusory wall thing stumped the hell out of me until someone said to press X. That simple thing just made me realize why I love this game perhaps the best of all the Souls games already...it's not fully a Souls game.

What this game is in my humble opinion, is King's Field with the Souls battle system. The "press X to open hidden stuff" thing was a King's Field gimmick that I had forgotten in my older age thinking it'd be like a Souls game where you hit it. But more than that, the art direction, the map design, the songs, the crazy traps on walls and chests, even the fact that they put homage to the original Moonlight Sword design
in the Blue Moon Sword that dude near the beginning is carrying.
All of these little design choices when put together make this game feel like King's Field to me instead of Souls series. And I absolutely LOVED the King's Field series, so I think that's why this one is clicking so instantly with me.

Only thing I don't love about this game is the damn durability but I think everyone hates that. So yeah.

I'm enjoying the durability, I'm maining a rapier with a Falchion for backup, I've had both weapons break a few times, which made me fall back to my Longsword or Mace. They're all good weapons so it's fun to be forced to switch every once in a while.

I'm also not a guy who dumps all of his titanite into one weapon, I've got them spread pretty wide, so I've got a good assortment of weapons to choose from.

georly

Ahahahahha, hahahaha.

Statue spoiler:
She asked for clothes and all i gave her was the prisoner's waistcoat. She thanked me for clothing her even though she is now wearing next to nothing. Wonder if there is anything you can give her in the game that improves what she sells/says/does, etc.

Grisby

Got a couple of questions soul bros. made some decent progress and made it to the
Bastille
place.

1) where is the orange soapstone located? Want to write some messages.

2)That lady in the above spoiler area. Is she just an npc summon? Can I get her to come back to home base? I kind of want her mask.

3)I never worried about this in the other souls games but I want to ask here, can I put too many stat points into strength? Got about 25 so far.

georly

Got a couple of questions soul bros. made some decent progress and made it to the
Bastille
place.

1) where is the orange soapstone located? Want to write some messages.

2)That lady in the above spoiler area. Is she just an npc summon? Can I get her to come back to home base? I kind of want her mask.

3)I never worried about this in the other souls games but I want to ask here, can I put too many stat points into strength? Got about 25 so far.

1. it's an option in your menu. hit start and look at messages. NO item needed.

2 i think just a summon.

3. I think 40 is the most you should ever do.

Finally arrived from Gamefly for PS3. Really addictive so far as expected. Looks like toasted butt, sadly also as expected. Someone should be ashamed, but I'm having enough fun right now to just pretend I'm playing a PS2 game.

Alebelly

I got 52,000 souls, looking to build a melee/archer. My starting class is a Bandit, and I haven't leveled up anything yet.

Any advice?

And what exactly does Adaptability do besides the obvious stat bonuses, does it shorten the length of animations?

Kensuke

Just did some great sunbro'ing.

WIndmill spoilers
I got summoned before Medusa-boss. I went back, looked at the ground and saw poison. Went back to the summoner, did the 'no no no' gesture, then pointed out. He followed me to where the windmill was. I pointed to it. Pulled out my torch and walked to the ignition point. Walked out, pointed, and he went up, and I started praising the sun. It took about 10 seconds, but he figured it out and we were able to easily beat her.

Now, it's off to the rather foreboding Iron Keep.

No way. Didn't know you could
get rid of the poison. I beat that boss with the poison on the floor and it was a pain in the ass.

Zaventem

Enjoying the game so far but if there was ever a game where "too open" can be used i would use this game as an example. I'm kinda roaming around dunno where to go. It was funny for the first misdirect they throw at you, now not so much now. Maybe too open isn't the right term? it doesn't really give hints in which direction you should set forth. Demon's Souls you knew you could take chances with X world levels based on the lowest to highest number. Dark Souls the "correct" path is much more obvious with the skellies being a big fuck you to newcomers and you find out about the bells and lord souls early on. This game not so much. You get the lady in green telling you you have to do X but that's it from her.

It's funny a good majority of poeple thought this game would be the one with a full story but to me it's even more obscure that the predecessors.

I'm currently an SL54 Warrior, and I'm thinking of tossing some points into ATN and INT for Pyromancy spells. Does pyromancy require heavy stat-point investments to be effective? I really just want some ranged attacks for situations where they're helpful.

Sakura

Question about boss souls
I unpetrified the guy that allows me to trade them for items. Some of his gear looks alright. Is it alright to trade or do I need the souls for crafting like in Dark Souls 1?

Mumford

Disclaimer: I don't own/ haven't played any of the Souls games.

I want to experience at least one of the games in the series, & despite DS2 being developed to be accessible, I feel like I'd rather start off with Demon's Souls for various reasons. Would this be a smart thing to do or should I absolutely start here? I'm prepared to get my ass kicked either way.

Ok. I can't beat
the pursuer
. Summoned two phantoms to help me fight twice but we all died. I had to use the effigy 3 times to fight with phantoms but everyone dies.

How the fuck do you kill this thing...

I want to experience at least one of the games in the series, & despite DS2 being developed to be accessible, I feel like I'd rather start off with Demon's Souls for various reasons. Would this be a smart thing to do or should I absolutely start here? I'm prepared to get my ass kicked either way.

I want to say that DS2 is a bit too hard early on. You're better off starting with Demon's Souls, IMO. It's got a more centralized hub-world format, and is probably the easier introduction to the franchise.

Ok. I can't beat
the pursuer
. Summoned two phantoms to help me fight twice but we all died. I had to use the effigy 3 times to fight with phantoms but everyone dies.

Parry one of his attacks in front of one of the
ballista, then run behind it and fire away

Aeana

Ok. I can't beat
the pursuer

There are two ballistae on the battlefield, if you can hit him with one he will take almost enough damage to kill him.

No way. Didn't know you could
get rid of the poison. I beat that boss with the poison on the floor and it was a pain in the ass.

I'm meta-sunbroing. That's what us Sunbro's do.

If only I knew about (Sinner's Rise Spoiler)
How you could illuminate the room with the Lost Sinner boss fight.

Ok. I can't beat
the pursuer

Dodge his stuff. I beat him on my first try. :/

Experience with Dark Souls helps!

So what's the fat white knight in
by the tree in the forest of giants, and later on near the beginning
for? I've thought of trying to stab him a bit but he was silent and i figured he might be important down the line. So ideally with no spoilers, stab or leave him alone?

Gorillaz

Disclaimer: I don't own/ haven't played any of the Souls games.

You can go in order. or at least go to DS1 first. Dont think you would want to start with 2 imo

There are two ballistae on the battlefield, if you can hit him with one he will take almost enough damage to kill him.
He's keep moving and cant pin point his exact location and he dashes around. Plus he destroys the ballistas while we dodge around.

So where is my precious Zweihander? I just got to harvest valley, and Found the item that cures the statues. How much farther do I need to go? :(

Ok. I can't beat
the pursuer

Parry him
and he'll be stunned long enough to shoot.
One should work.

Probably a dumb question that has been asked ad nauseum, but...

when you get Boss Souls, how do you use them to upgrade equipment? Would you recommend just consuming them for souls? Interested to hear your responses. Cheers.

Short answer is I don't know, but the weapon's probably worth a lot more than the 1 or two soapstone runs worth of souls you'd get for the soul itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom