• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conezays

Probably a dumb question that has been asked ad nauseum, but...

when you get Boss Souls, how do you use them to upgrade equipment? Would you recommend just consuming them for souls? Interested to hear your responses. Cheers.

Zeliard

Pretty neat that you can get spell drops from enemies now. I just got a pyromancy spell drop - Lingering Flame - from a fairly basic enemy.

I've been wearing the Traveling Merchant Hat all game. :p

aFIGurANT

I got 52,000 souls, looking to build a melee/archer. My starting class is a Bandit, and I haven't leveled up anything yet.

Any advice?

And what exactly does Adaptability do besides the obvious stat bonuses, does it shorten the length of animations?
It will let you heal faster and beyond that I think it just raises your poise as long as you have an equal number of endurance. Supposedly it's very good for melee builds with the agility bonus but I'm going to cool off leveling it now. I think I'm at 22 END/ADP and I notice I do roll faster that way as well. That part could be in my head though tbh.

Also I started a bandit too and I would recommend more strength so you can wield better weapons...I think 11 is the requirement for the Heide sword which is pretty decent I guess but I feel like something good is going to drop eventually. If you don't plan to use magic then leave it as is but note that both Faith and Intelligence raise your poison and bleed modifier but that only matters if you're using a bleed/poison weapon. Pick your own path though basically, there's a million ways to mold your character and a lot will depend on what weapons you want.

Tried some pvp... this is the awesome thing about a new Souls, you can actually win this stuff early when the game's new! Before the casuals get run off and it's nothing but the super serious guys with their internet approved stat builds.

Astral

How does upgrading weapons work in this game? It's hard to tell what path I should choose when I have no idea what stuff like Mundane does. You can level a weapon to +15 right? You can also infuse it at any level, but is it better to infuse weapons that are at a higher level? I also understand now that the infusions scale with your bonus for that type of infusion, which I think increase depending on what you level up. I basically have no idea how I should level up my weapons.

Alebelly

Pick your own path though basically, there's a million ways to mold your character and a lot will depend on what weapons you want.

I'm so paranoid of not using the souls correctly, but I'm even more scared I'm going to do something stupid and lose them all! (cuz thats what I usually do)

Thanks for the advice!

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
A douchebag phantom killed me and the boss at the same time using ballista. Now I'm all out of effigy.

This game is just unforgiving...

YQfMqHD.jpg

ElFly

Oh man, I thought that was a human player and tried to wait at the top of the ladder until he quit haha. @_@

I
Actually shot him from atop the stair with my magic staff.

Just make sure to wear the staff in the hand that is farther out so the spells don't hit the wall

Aeana

Oh man, I thought that was a human player and tried to wait at the top of the ladder until he quit haha. @_@
The problem is
the 7 dogs that accompany him
and only having single target magic. I don't know what I can possibly do here.

Ken

In Shaded Ruins, I killed the Scorpion boss but I heard there was another Scorpion dude you could talk to with the Ring of Whispers. Where is he?

Mupod

Ok the only things I really still need are Sunlight Blade and Sacred Oath. Anyone have some idea where I can find them?

Also Lightning Great Club kicks ass. And man, it's easy to level up sunbros now, I get summoned very quickly no matter where I put my sign.

The frame rate during the
Skeleton Lords
boss fight had to be sub 15fps. Especially after words when I was being summoned and it was 3 dudes in the fight. Also
wheel skeletons

So I'm int he Way of the Blue and I get a token for helping people out. Which I know is just for arena PVP. Is their another covenant that gives something better? Human Effigies would be real nice...

One last question, just got to
Harvest Valley
and noticed a lot of poison stuff. Should I try to find a gear set with poison resistance? My elite knight give me little to none.

RoeBear

In Shaded Ruins, I killed the Scorpion boss but I heard there was another Scorpion dude you could talk to with the Ring of Whispers. Where is he?

I haven't spoke with him but there's a dude if you take a left where all those long haired dudes are and where that big frog was. This was based off the coming from the bonfire. so pretty much the opposite way from the lady.

Maybesew

The landscape of firelinkshrine makes it very clear as to which way you're supposed to go. They said there's a bell underground and one above. Firelink Shrine has a great deal of verticality so it's extremely easy to know where you're supposed to go. It's impossible to fuck up. This is not the case with Dark Souls 2. They just say gather souls. Granted, one of the NPCs say that you have to go to the forest regardless at first but there's no sense of direction as to which way leads to the forest. There is no implicit guidance in Dark Souls 2 compared to its predecessor.

Tell that to all the people that go from fire link directly to the catacombs and get killed by the skeletons

KorrZ

Had a very successful Dark Souls night! Beat quite a few bosses including:

The Pursuer
Old Dragonslayer
Flexible Sentry
Ruin Sentinels

Finally gave it a rest after 3 attempts at the
Gargoyles
, but I'm very satisfied with my progress tonight!

Calibus

Overall a very productive day:

Finally took down Pursuer (thanks to going off to other areas and powering up)

Took down Dragonrider and Ornstein (I flipped out when I saw it was, essentially, him returned under another name - BTW resin makes that fight trivial if you are stuck on it)

Got some awesome new rings and armor

Currently stuck on the Flexible Sentry. What annoys me about that fight isn't so much the boss fight itself, rather the path to get back to him. Got some more resin, will probably try that again.

Once you learn your limits and learn to swallow your pride and come back to encounters that you are not ready for, things get easier. Having tons fun with the game again.

Mask

Ugh, I'm too weak...

After telling myself I was going to wait until the PC release, I found myself buying US psn cards from ebay, and now I'm waiting for this to finish downloading. I blame my little brother
for constantly telling me about the trailers and the new info, 24/7 Dark Souls II in both ears.

Are there any options for co-op in this? Co-op in Demon's and Dark was a hit and miss affair, but I remember them saying they improved the matchmaking this time around. Any specific items or NPC's that help you find the right person for co-op?

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
dumb question, but why can't I play as the class featured on the cover of the game/all the promotional videos? You know the one with the fur cloak and all. Was I wrong in assuming thats what one of the starting classes would look like?

Wow just found out a +2 large club has S strength scaling. Adios halberd.

How can I open the locked jail cell just beside the petrified dude in lost bastille?

Mupod

Ugh, I'm too weak...

After telling myself I was going to wait until the PC release, I found myself buying US psn cards from ebay, and now I'm waiting for this to finish downloading. I blame my little brother
for constantly telling me about the trailers and the new info, 24/7 Dark Souls II in both ears.

Are there any options for co-op in this? Co-op in Demon's and Dark was a hit and miss affair, but I remember them saying they improved the matchmaking this time around. Any specific items or NPC's that help you find the right person for co-op?

There is, but I haven't used it. You can buy a ring and engrave a god's name on it, which makes it easier to find those who have the same ring with the same god. Since I'd imagine very few people are using that ring it seems like it'd work in theory.

There's also a voice chat ring, but you have to enable voice in the menu.

At any rate the dedicated servers and PS3 population make this a totally different experience from what I'm used to on 360/PC dark souls. Near-instant summons whenever I put my sign down and there's always tons of signs around if I want help.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
dumb question, but why can't I play as the class featured on the cover of the game/all the promotional videos? You know the one with the fur cloak and all. Was I wrong in assuming thats what one of the starting classes would look like?

You need to get the set in the game.

Ken

I haven't spoke with him but there's a dude if you take a left where all those long haired dudes are and where that big frog was. This was based off the coming from the bonfire. so pretty much the opposite way from the lady.

Ah found him. Didn't see there were steps going down. Thanks!

So anyone find any good NPCs to de-petrify? So far I've
revived the Bastille vendor rand the Shaded Ruins lever NPC. Sitting on one branch at the moment.

aFIGurANT

Ugh, I'm too weak...

If anything by signing up to play now you are guaranteeing the co-op experience it sounds like you want. As noted above summons come within 30 seconds of laying down signs and every boss has tons of people going at it. It's definitely worth playing for this aspect alone. It kind of feels like an MMO in a lot of ways vs. the previous games.

ElFly

So about a merchant in Heide's.

The female miracle sellswoman disappeared! Is she hidden in Majula somewhere? or did she go elsewhere?

Mupod

if you die a lot the max health goes down. you can reverse it by using a human effigy to get back to being human

You can also do a bunch of co-op to practice the boss, and that'll eventually unhollow you. Lots of souls too.

Come to think of it, I'm not really sure what talisman of fidelity does outside of healing the host. An NPC told me something about using it to start duels in the blue sentinels, but is that it?

Chuck

Still without luck
Can i get a quick explanation of the rolling? it doesn't seem to be broken into quarters with your equipment like DS1 was.

Essay

Ffffffuuuu, From is trolling me hard for starting as a
Bandit. The other boss weapon trader, Straid, won't trade with me despite just freeing him. Instead, he just mocks my intelligence: "Cursed one, you lack intelligence. Weak, so terribly weak.... Heh heh heh...." Looks like I'll be blowing my first Soul Vessel on getting rid of the points I'm going to be putting into Intelligence just to talk to the guy.

I'm going to relish stabbing this NPC to death before NG+... :D

Brohan

Can i get a quick explanation of the rolling? it doesn't seem to be broken into quarters with your equipment like DS1 was.

Slow roll or medium roll however you want to Call it won't happen until you reach 70% equip load. However the lighter your equip load the further you roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom