• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

A douchebag phantom killed me and the boss at the same time using ballista. Now I'm all out of effigy.

This game is just unforgiving...

I'm surprised people even use their effigy. I've played almost the whole game as an undead. Too lazy and frugal to use precious effigy lol.

Aeana

I leveled my staff up to +5 and managed to beat
Vorgel the Sinner, since that allowed me to one-shot each dog with a spell. That fight was like an even stupider version of Capra Demon from Dark Souls.

Adding a boss encounter in Belfray is stupid if I only get invaded over and over and no one comes to my rescue.

Edit: oh I see. The bell ring doesn't help players of the same covenant, it invades people in the tower.

Zeliard

For whatever reason I'm unable to drop my white soapstone anymore. I can leave messages, and I see plenty of other messages and bloodstains, so I assume it's not some network thing. But my white soapstone is grayed out wherever I go. Anyone else run into this?

Aeana

For whatever reason I'm unable to drop my white soapstone anymore. I can leave messages, and I see plenty of other messages and bloodstains, so I assume it's not some network thing. But my white soapstone is grayed out. Anyone else run into this?
You got disconnected. The server was down last time I turned on the game.

Chuck

Still without luck
I've definitely noticed a break point at 70% equip load, over that I start fatrolling.

You fat roll at about 70% in my experience. ADP stat increases invincibility frames I think.

Slow roll or medium roll however you want to Call it won't happen until you reach 70% equip load. However the lighter your equip load the further you roll.

oh ok, thanks y'all. And let me to you, those invincibility frame were crucial on the last boss I faced.
the rotten

TheMink

For whatever reason I'm unable to drop my white soapstone anymore. I can leave messages, and I see plenty of other messages and bloodstains, so I assume it's not some network thing. But my white soapstone is grayed out. Anyone else run into this?

In dark souls 1 there were definitely certain locations you couldn't do it idk if you have tried many areas since it stopped working.

For whatever reason I'm unable to drop my white soapstone anymore. I can leave messages, and I see plenty of other messages and bloodstains, so I assume it's not some network thing. But my white soapstone is grayed out wherever I go. Anyone else run into this?
Where are you? I think when the game is trying to get you invaded you soapstone goes away

Grinchy

Banned
Oh wow I was just in the laggiest co-op boss fight ever and was then disconnected. Sucks that you still have no estus after a disconnect (along with the weapons degrading so fast).

Brohan

It's a bit into the game.

After the area that was in the beta test where everything is poison stuff. I forgot the name but it's before the area called Earthen Pot.

Guess ill have to play a bit further as I have no idea where any of those areas are.

When talking about a poison area do you mean the gutter or tge area with The Rotten?

Thx for your responses and sorry for asking all these questions.

Mupod

Guess ill have to play a bit further as I have no idea where any of those areas are.

When talking about a poison area do you mean the gutter or tge area with The Rotten?

Neither. It's in an area with green poison mist all over the place. Near the end of said area.

Zeliard

You got disconnected. The server was down last time I turned on the game.

Hm, I restarted the game and it seemed to connect to the server okay. And the other online stuff seems to be working fine. Guess I'll try it again some other time.

In dark souls 1 there were definitely certain locations you couldn't do it idk if you have tried many areas since it stopped working.

Where are you? I think when the game is trying to get you invaded you soapstone goes away

I've fast traveled to various areas to try it - including places I've been successfully summoned many times - and it still isn't working.

Killed 4 bosses and only one death so far, my Paladin is kicking ass.
Care to share your stats/gear? I'm still pretty early on (level 30 cleric), and not really sure what I should be focusing on in early game. I haven't come across any miracles/spells thus far so I haven't touched FAI yet. I've mostly been pumping STR/END, and a little in DEX to use the Fire Sword. I'm tempted to just start reinforcing the Fire Sword since I haven't come across a STR focused weapons yet.

RoeBear

No it's called
Harvest Valley, it looks like poison mist everywhere.

Gorillaz

have you guys solo more bosses or cooped more?

I'm interested in the split between the 2. Cooped a few and part of me feels I need to do a few more by my self. Like TLS for example, I feel I can easily take him alone but just fucked up my timing the last time.

sixghost

oh ok, thanks y'all. And let me to you, those invincibility frame were crucial on the last boss I faced.
the rotten

I think somebody said that ADP increase the distance of your roll. Which would make sense since the starting roll barely goes anywhere compared to Dark Souls.

I'm interested in the split between the 2. Cooped a few and part of me feels I need to do a few more by my self. Like TLS for example, I feel I can easily take him alone but just fucked up my timing the last time.
I think the small bosses like Pursuer or the Last Sinner should be done solo. Coop seems more fun for the bigger bosses, because like you said, multiple people in those faster boss fights fucks everything up.

Mupod

Care to share your stats/gear? I'm still pretty early on (level 30 cleric), and not really sure what I should be focusing on in early game. I haven't come across any miracles/spells thus far so I haven't touched FAI yet. I've mostly been pumping STR/END, and a little in DEX to use the Fire Sword. I'm tempted to just start reinforcing the Fire Sword since I haven't come across a STR focused weapons yet.

I started as a cleric but didn't put a single point in dex. I leveled endurance and adaptability evenly since they have some synergy with the poise stat. Not saying this is the best way to do things, but it's working for me.

Other than that all my points have gone into str/faith with a little attunement. My HP does feel a little low but I'm used to playing these games that way...just sucks when you start getting hollow and that bar gets real tiny.

The starting mace is surprisingly good, and very easy to use since it breaks enemy poise easily. I've since moved on to a giant-ass club though.

The Lamp

Just wanted to confirm that
Galvan the poison merchant in No Man's Wharf
is not permanently gone after you interact with him as some suggested and some sources online say.

He moves to
Harvest Valley
according to the official strategy guide in my hands.

Mask

If anything by signing up to play now you are guaranteeing the co-op experience it sounds like you want. As noted above summons come within 30 seconds of laying down signs and every boss has tons of people going at it. It's definitely worth playing for this aspect alone. It kind of feels like an MMO in a lot of ways vs. the previous games.

There is, but I haven't used it. You can buy a ring and engrave a god's name on it, which makes it easier to find those who have the same ring with the same god. Since I'd imagine very few people are using that ring it seems like it'd work in theory.

There's also a voice chat ring, but you have to enable voice in the menu.

At any rate the dedicated servers and PS3 population make this a totally different experience from what I'm used to on 360/PC dark souls. Near-instant summons whenever I put my sign down and there's always tons of signs around if I want help.

Yeah, that sounds much better. I don't mind helping random people out, and getting invaded, but I want to try playing co-op with my brother.

One more question, having the digital US psn version shouldn't matter, right? My younger brother will have the UK physical version, but you can play co-op with different version from other
regions, can't you?

Brohan

Started as cleric, raised str to 12 so i could use the mace and after that immediatly raised faith to 22 and attunement to 13, i then got lightning bolt (killed 2 bosses before i obtained it) and the other 2 bosses got steamrolled by my lightning bolts.
Now im raising endurance and adaptability a bit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I leveled my staff up to +5 and managed to beat
Vorgel the Sinner, since that allowed me to one-shot each dog with a spell. That fight was like an even stupider version of Capra Demon from Dark Souls.

How did you level up your staff?

Conezays

Parry him
and he'll be stunned long enough to shoot.
One should work.

Short answer is I don't know, but the weapon's probably worth a lot more than the 1 or two soapstone runs worth of souls you'd get for the soul itself.

I agree, just wondering if it's a late-game thing or what-I actually wasted all my souls in Demons/Dark Souls just leveling up as well, haha.

Mupod

I do tons of co-op before fighting bosses for practice and to get medals. I usually end up soloing bosses whether I summon help or not...the funniest situation was a certain boss
Pursuer
who had ballistas in the area. And my phantoms killed me with them. So I just went in solo and he wasn't hard at all.

But yeah, having some distractions running around helps even if they die 5 seconds in most of the time. And some of the NPC phantoms are crazy good. In earthen peak
I had one who looked like a jester running around with dual pyromancy flames and he just burns the boss to death in 20 seconds on his own.

ironcreed

Banned
The variety of locations is already starting to blow the first one away for me and I feel like I am really just getting started. People saying that the rabbit hole just keeps going deeper and deeper are not exaggerating.

Astral

is not permanently gone after you interact with him as some suggested and some sources online say.

He moves to
Harvest Valley

That he does. I saw him there.

Mupod

Yeah, that sounds much better. I don't mind helping random people out, and getting invaded, but I want to try playing co-op with my brother.

One more question, having the digital US psn version shouldn't matter, right? My younger brother will have the UK physical version, but you can play co-op with different version from other
regions, can't you?

You can, but you have to change a setting in the menus. Normally it's region restricted.

I'm 20-something hours in and never got invaded. They really need to patch in some infinite orbs for the invader covenants.

I feel like I am dying a lot more than even in Dark Souls 1.

Early on, like in the forest of giants area, should I focus more on leveling and building stats, or improving weapons?

Also are human effigies really hard to come by? I feel like i've gotten myself in a few situations already where i got myself down to half health and spent a human effigy just to bring my max health back up.

I accidentally went to the tower with the large sword and shield enemies and butted my head against that for a few hours.

Sakura

He moves to
Harvest Valley
I wish they'd just come and hang out in Majula instead.

isual

fuark brahs. beat the
scorpion lady
with 50 percent health due to not being able to kill the smelt boss.

traversed through the pharos and into the lair now with 50 percent health still. shiettttt
shiettttt sons.

souls veteran fosho!

casul game is casul

sixghost

Ok I need some advice.

I've got a +10 falchion and I'm trying to figure out the best way to upgrade it. I've got 40 INT, and only 6 STR 13 DEX. So I'm not getting very much damage off scaling. Most of my damage is from great magic weapon.

Do I upgrade it to raw to get a bit more damage while still being able to enchant it, upgrade it to enchanted (I'm not sure what this actually does), or wait until I find the stone that allows me to upgrade it to Magic?

Anyone else spend like 5 hours retreading half the game for a random locked door trying to find the next area when all you had to do was not use the fast travel and walk into a building you went through at the start of the game...

Well... At least I found it on my own and gained a ton of souls and items while trying to find it. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom