• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you get back on the ship once you get off from leaving the Wharf? I forgot to get the Pyromancy Flame from it before I left. Or if not, where can I get one?

You have to run through the level again and get back on the same way you did the first time. Once you warp to the No mans Warf bonfire, the ship will be back there again and you can grab the pyro flame.

Hixx

Someone came and used my summon sign right outside
the Last Giant's
mist and took me to fight
the Pursuer
. Do people not put their summon signs down for the latter?

Grisby

So...if you summon two helpers for a boss you don't receive less souls for beating him right?

Might be a stupid question but I had some fun having two guys run around on the last encounter.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm so pissed. I wasted a Pharrors' Lockstone on an area I accessed before. I thought the whole point of invisible walls was getting to otherwise inaccessible areas.

There is an infinite amount of them via
The Rats covenant

GulAtiCa

Finally beat the 1st boss in the game. Took me a while. But after a good bit, I finally got myself up to a nice level as a Sorcerer. Even got my Strength up too for normal weapons.

One of the things I did was kill that stationary lizard under the bonfire that gives you 900 souls (need long ranged weapon obviously, since it's below you on another floor)

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah, the steelcase from the EU version is shit compared to the US one. We got the game late, more expensive and with a shittier Black Armor edition.

This Black Armor nonsense and the Ground Zeroes bullshit just makes me so fucking ANGRY.

Why is this happening?

test_account

XP-39C²
Anyone got any tips on how to beat
The Three Sentinels? After a lot of tries, i manage to take down the first one now without any huge problems, but after the first one is down, the two others attack you at the same time. Rolling away or blocking with shield seems to be damn hard, because if you block one of them and strike, then suddently the other Sentinel might hit you.

ElFly

The Three Sentinels? After a lot of tries, i manage to take down the first one now without any huge problems, but after the first one is down, the two others attack you at the same time. Rolling away or blocking with shield seems to be damn hard, because if you block one of them and strike, then suddently the other Sentinel might hit you.

Summon other two people.

The decreased damage is worth the breathing room it gets you.

Also, summoning and being summoned in that area is easy, since a ton of people are stuck in that boss.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Two questions for those that have gone through
misty part of Shaded Woods
area already.

1) Has anyone figured out where the beheaded NPC's body is or which enemy it's supposed to be? I am morbidly curious as to the fate of his body.

2) Anyone figured out what's up with that tree with a face that moans when you strike it?

It has pretty much nullified my progress on anything at work. I'm here surfing this thread instead of working. I wasn't prepared for this. I ended up taking two "sick" days when the game was released and I felt bad about it; I rarely get sick so I just had the sick days there, but yeah.
For your first question. It's nowhere near where you are now and is along the required path so you'll come across it eventually. More explicitly
He guards one of the primal bonfires

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, the steelcase from the EU version is shit compared to the US one. We got the game late, more expensive and with a shittier Black Armor edition.
Whats the difference?

Summon other two people.

The decreased damage is worth the breathing room it gets you.

Also, summoning and being summoned in that area is easy, since a ton of people are stuck in that boss.
Thanks for the tip, but i' would like to make it on my own if possible :) I already beat Demon's Souls and Dark Souls alone, so i would hope to do the same with Dark Souls 2 as well. But if it gets too hard, maybe i would have to summon someone else.

Reporting in:

Had a good run last night, played 5 hours from 10-3am doing coop (effectively doing each area twice)

-Beat the Ruin Sentinels (a shield makes this fight a joke, was trying to beat it dual wielding >.>)
-The Lost Sinner (fucking auto target disappearing in the dark was annoying but managed to scrape by. This has been my favorite fight so far, so intense.)
-Skeleton Lords (this fight was a joke, and the entire Huntsman Cospe I cleared in like 5-10 minutes :eek:)
-Covetous Demon/Jabba the Hut 2.0 (easy fight, was not expecting it to roll over though, ouch)
-Headless Medusa lady (forget the name) (probably one of the most annoying areas with an easy boss. I found out you could burn the windmill by accident and apparently that gave her regen or something? Might I also add that the Jester NPC you can summon IS SO OP. He dual wields pyromancy flames and absolutely destroys this boss.

I'm now at the
Iron Keep
and the enemies here look hard at first but with a shield you can
easily backstab them.
I suppose alternating between shield and dual wielding is my biggest lesson in this game instead of going HAM with dual wielding alone. Next step is to look for the
dull ember
and start dual wielding Uchigatana's!

the Last Giant's
the Pursuer

I think there are lower level players puttin down summons at the former, so it's easier for people to find summon buddies there instead f they're challenging the latter early.

Maybesew

I would actually suggest summoning one person and the NPC. she casts magic from range so as long as you can get the first one down fairly quickly she has high survivabikity and does nice damage

Clevinger

I finally got invaded after 10+ hours. I went back to forest of giants for a sec and some dude invades me. I already beat the bosses there, but I guess there's more

emb

I don't have any great advice, but some small (maybe too obvious) things that worked for me when I was fighting them:

Once the first one is gone, wait for the second to jump up (and heal if needed). Block the get up attack, get a couple shots in. After that be careful: around the time he attacks again, the other will jump up. Once he jumps up there, jump down to get more space (and heal off the fall damage).

Then you have the two both on the floor. It's a little bit tricky, but you just need to be patient (story of these games, mirite?). Keep your shield up, and hope that they both attack around the same time (with one missing). When they do that, you should have time to get in a hit on one of them. Of course, try to focus on which ever one already has lower HP if you have a choice. Be weary of estusing, they like to jump slash when you do; try to bait out their attacks and heal instead of attack if you need to.

The moment this fight clicked for me was actually because of a big mistake. I fell before killing the first one, and had to work around three of them. Because I was so scared, I played really safe and actually lasted a while. Then I realized two would be really doable.

Thanks for the tip, but i' would like to make it on my own if possible :) I already beat Demon's Souls and Dark Souls alone, so i would hope to do the same with Dark Souls 2 as well. But if it gets too hard, maybe i would have to summon someone else.
Me too. I'd say keep trying! I thought this fight was impossible at first, but after a few (read: a lot of) attempts, you start to see the small openings they give you.

ElFly

Whats the difference?

Thanks for the tip, but i'd really like to make it on my own :) I already beat Demon's Souls and Dark Souls alone, so i would hope to do the same with Dark Souls 2 as well. But if it gets too hard, maybe i would have to summon someone else.

Well, coop will be necessary because of the NPCs disappearing mechanics, if you need to farm souls.

If you insist on going solo, they are weak to lightning.

A word of warning
check every bloodstain after you beat them.

My best strategy is to
study their movements, they are actually quite predictable. The key to this fight is being patient and only striking when you have a open window, usually right after they attack and you roll away. Block any hits you cant get away from such as the sweeping move. MAKE SURE you you target them and slowly pivot clock wise or counter clockwise around the room moving backwards so they are always in your line of sight. NEVER attack if you only have one in your sights. Once you take out one, the fight is essentially guaranteed.

Leunam

the Last Giant's
the Pursuer

Same exact thing happened to me. I was surprised that he ended up being a boss because I got a preview of him a little earlier where a giant bird dropped him off in front of me in a different area. I thought he was just going to be a super tough knight that was going to be a semi-rare occurrence throughout the game.

slayn

Reporting in:

Had a good run last night, played 5 hours from 10-3am doing coop (effectively doing each area twice)

-Headless Medusa lady (forget the name) (probably one of the most annoying areas with an easy boss. I found out you could burn the windmill by accident and apparently that gave her regen or something? Might I also add that the Jester NPC you can summon IS SO OP. He dual wields pyromancy flames and absolutely destroys this boss.

Well, I feel dumb now.
I fought her alone, in the poison, and this has been the hardest boss fight in the game by far. I did eventually manage to take her down but in that fight you are wading in poison slowing your movement, are basically permanently poisoned, and she has insane health regen.

Just started last night, tell me if I'm right to feel like a badass:

Spent way too long trying to beat The Last Giant, did so, then went into Heide's Tower of Flame and decimated the boss there on my first try. DID I DO THINGS OUT OF ORDER? AM I HARDCORE???

On a side note it's really surprising me how much I suck so far after ~100 hours of DaS

Died within 2 minutes of starting lol.... Oh here's some footprints...

There is a neat trick for defeating those things easily that I never figured out on my own....

had to have a friend show me the ropes and then it pops up in ENB's vids

Suffice to say it pays to approach enemies and patiently observe and attempt to trigger all of their animations in hopes of discovering weaknesses.... which has always been the case in Dark Souls and I was just moving through so quickly cuz duh Ive played all the games so far so I must be gud

Just started last night, tell me if I'm right to feel like a badass:

Spent way too long trying to beat The Last Giant, did so, then went into Heide's Tower of Flame and decimated the boss there on my first try. DID I DO THINGS OUT OF ORDER? AM I HARDCORE???

On a side note it's really surprising me how much I suck so far after ~100 hours of DaS

You are doing fine :) And personally this game has taken some getting used to from someone who was sunk over 300 hours into DkS and DeS but it's shaping up to be my favorite souls game.

Well, I feel dumb now.
I fought her alone, in the poison, and this has been the hardest boss fight in the game by far. I did eventually manage to take her down but in that fight you are wading in poison slowing your movement, are basically permanently poisoned, and she has insane health regen.

Yeah must have been hard dude, props to you. Did you summon
Jester Thomas
? Was hilarious watching him destroy the boss, he cast
a 300 damage fireball like every 5 seconds.

Jobbs

Banned
iron keep may be the most evil place known to man. no fucking bonfires anywhere. fucking christ. been on this place all night. I must have died 20 times now. at least.

I finally got further than ever, where I had to keep dropping from beam to beam, until you get to a hellishly devil inspired jump by the designers.. miss the jump, bam, dead, okay, do the whole fucking thing again.

if you want to know if this game is harder than dark souls 1, yes, it is, because dark souls 1 never pissed me off this bad at any point.

all I want is a fucking ember so I can fucking get some large shards, it feels like i'm doing end game shit and I still can't even get fucking shards to upgrade my weapons passed +5... it's bullshit.

For your first question. It's nowhere near where you are now and is along the required path so you'll come across it eventually. More explicitly
He guards one of the primal bonfires

Thank you very much, exactly the detail I was looking for. Sounds very ominous, I am both scared and excited.

Facism

Invaded a guy, got informed his blue boyfriend sentinel was coming to protect him. He was a fat roller too LOL easy backstab wins.

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't have any great advice, but some small (maybe too obvious) things that worked for me when I was fighting them:

Once the first one is gone, wait for the second to jump up (and heal if needed). Block the get up attack, get a couple shots in. After that be careful: around the time he attacks again, the other will jump up. Once he jumps up there, jump down to get more space (and heal off the fall damage).

Then you have the two both on the floor. It's a little bit tricky, but you just need to be patient (story of these games, mirite?). Keep your shield up, and hope that they both attack around the same time (with one missing). When they do that, you should have time to get in a hit on one of them. Of course, try to focus on which ever one already has lower HP if you have a choice. Be weary of estusing, they like to jump slash when you do; try to bait out their attacks and heal instead of attack if you need to.

The moment this fight clicked for me was actually because of a big mistake. I fell before killing the first one, and had to work around three of them. Because I was so scared, I played really safe and actually lasted a while. Then I realized two would be really doable.

Me too. I'd say keep trying! I thought this fight was impossible at first, but after a few (read: a lot of) attempts, you start to see the small openings they give you.
Her summon sign is on one of the cells near the fog gate
Well, coop will be necessary because of the NPCs disappearing mechanics, if you need to farm souls.

If you insist on going solo, they are weak to lightning.

A word of warning
check every bloodstain after you beat them.
Thanks for the tips, everyone! :) I will keep on trying.

ElFly: Sure, that is true, but i would hope to be able to help people people at the bosses instead of needing help myself :) I already got summoned for
The Pursuer
, so i have already played some co-op, but before this i had already beaten that boss on my own. But honestly, if i get to a boss that is too damn hard, i probably wont have any problem trying to summon others for help. I just want to see if i can beat the bosses on my own first =)

Celegus

Well, playable is pretty much obvious. What I meant to say was: is the frame rate horrendous? If you have played Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen on the PS3, how does the frame rate compare?

The only area I've noticed any frame rate problems is the very very beginning zone that you're only in for a few minutes. After that, it's been gravy (not that I'm super far).

slayn

Yeah must have been hard dude, props to you. Did you summon
Jester Thomas
? Was hilarious watching him destroy the boss, he cast
a 300 damage fireball like every 5 seconds.
nah, my first time through a souls game I solo every boss. They shall all taste my great sword!

Grudy

Sorry for asking again but does anyone else keep getting disconnected from the server? (playing on EU edition, it happens even if I allow cross region play)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Well, playable is pretty much obvious. What I meant to say was: is the frame rate horrendous? If you have played Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen on the PS3, how does the frame rate compare?

For me, rather than the framerate, the issue is the responsiveness of the controls (which is of course tied to framerate). The game is far more demanding in terms of timing for dodges and attacks and I think the game's performance works against that design choice. Even early on there are many large enemies with wide sweeping attacks that require well-timed dodges and quick followup attacks. I have felt several times that the controls weren't quite up to it, making it more difficult than it should be.

So I'm not saying don't play it, but I am saying that if the PC version fixes this aspect it will be well worth it, even if it doesn't look that much better.

wastewater

Neo Member
Is the blood covenant broke? I've got 84 victories in the dueling arena and still haven't ranked up once, the npc's just repeating the same 2 bits of dialogue.

taoofjord

Well I only played a couple hours in so far on the PS3 version but a few things:

• The controls do feel different. I feel like it's very hard to make precise movements in the game and I don't remember this being the case in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 1. You're either going straight ahead or at a wide angle or sideways when you move the left stick.

Then, the right stick has a huge dead zone so you have to push it pretty far to get a subtle movement, of which there's isn't much of a range to begin with as it quickly accelerates to full speed. And the angular movements of the stick are mostly turned into up/down and left/right. The camera also seems to sit lower than it did in the other games. It's something I'll get used to but, again, it detracts from the game and I don't recall having that issue with the first two games.

• The framerate, which never bothered me in the first games (even Blighttown never really bothered me) is grating on me now. How do the areas after the first few fare? Does it improve in the PS3 version?

• The graphics, overall, and the lighting are quite nice. I can tell there's a downgrade, as many have pointed out, but it's still a great looking game. I may end up trading in the PS3 version and waiting for the PC release, and when that happens I'll be perfectly happy with 1080p/60fps and higher res textures. It'd be great if the lighting and poly count were upped but it won't upset me if it doesn't happen.

• Starting out the game inside a
giant hollowed out mountain with a giant tree surrounded by a massive lake where you travel to a small cabit where three old witches live
is as good a way to start a game as any. Love it! I've always loved their take on dark fantasy and how they've taken inspiration from gothic horror and classic weird fiction like Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith.

• This is the first time I hooked up my PS4 controller to the PS3 and it's a pure pleasure to use in this game.

deeTyrant

If you want to beat them without any assistance this is what I did:
I would 1 v 1 the first guy, then wait on that platform after he was dead. Once one of them is up I would try to do as much damage to the 2nd guy while he is alone up there and then jump down as soon as the third guy comes up.

Once down on the ground I'd focus on attacking only the sentinel with less health. I usually waited until the weak one did the jumping attack, would run in get one hit and then roll the fuck out. Once he's down its fairly easy to 1v1 the other sentinel.

cheezcake

(Iron Keep spoilers)
Oh man the smelter demon RECKS me, I jsut got the blacksteel katana and upped it to +7 but it still only takes away slivers of his health, I got no clue how I'm gonna beat him =(

Also question for people who've tried both, do you prefer blacksteel katana or uchi? I just gave the dull ember to McDuff and realised I could've bought an uchi off him but already upped my BSK

MilkBeard

In other news, I can't believe how much DSII has taken over my life. I'm sleep deprived (no pun intended) at work right now because I stayed up too late playing going 'just a little bit further, maybe there's another bonfire around the corner.' And I think I've barely cracked the surface of this game. So good.
Yeah, I'm definitely going into work sleep deprived. I was supposed to get some sleep because I had to take my mom to the doctor, but I ended up playing all night. I have some time to rest before work once I pick her up but I'll definitely have rings under my eyes...ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom