• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, playable is pretty much obvious. What I meant to say was: is the frame rate horrendous? If you have played Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen on the PS3, how does the frame rate compare?
The frame rate is better than dark arisen in my opinion but the sudden jumps to 60 fps may be an eye sore.

georly

Checking in again to see if anyone's been able to figure out why you sometimes get humanity restored when helping and other times you do not? I'm really starting to think it's level based. Like if you're way too high level, you can still help (i can put down a soapstone in forest of giants at lvl 90), but you don't get humanity back. Which is unfortunate, i guess, but at least i'm getting summoned.

Also:

I have basically 3 paths available to me, and i want to know which of the 3 leads to sunbros. Don't tell me where they are, just which of the 3 i should take:

Windmill area w/ poison stuff, path w/ stone pyromancer lady, down the hole in majula.

Or none of the above, in which case, mind blown.

Just played about an hour, feels really nice to be back in a Souls game.

But there are things for torches around and they're not needed at all, it's always really bright anyway :/

Are there enough pharros stones in the game to open up all those contraptions? I mean, without having to join that convenant where you can get them.

Serra

Im stuck, I have no idea where to go.

I have killed the Lost Sinner, Rotten and Duke's Dear Something (that giant spider) as well as a load of other bosses but I figured those are the ones worth mentioning.

I have several doors that wont open: The Shrine of Winter says I need to absorb greater souls or something to that effect, the door in forest of the giants that says I need to produce the King's symbol. And finally theres a door in Brightstone Cove near the giant sinkhole that is locked.

I feel like I have been decently thorough but I must have missed some path. Help please!

Corpekata

Banned
Checking in again to see if anyone's been able to figure out why you sometimes get humanity restored when helping and other times you do not? I'm really starting to think it's level based. Like if you're way too high level, you can still help (i can put down a soapstone in forest of giants at lvl 90), but you don't get humanity back. Which is unfortunate, i guess, but at least i'm getting summoned.

Also:

I have basically 3 paths available to me, and i want to know which of the 3 leads to sunbros. Don't tell me where they are, just which of the 3 i should take:

Windmill area w/ poison stuff, path w/ stone pyromancer lady, down the hole in majula.

Or none of the above, in which case, mind blown.

Windmill.

georly

Windmill

but that's the scariest one!

Edit:

Also, alternate path spoiler question:
Can anyone confirm if clerics can open the path in the sewer area, or do you need to kill the dragon rider and get the lady to do it for you? She says miracles open the path, so i assumed that meant if you start as a cleric, you can access it immediately. I'd like to get sunbros asap on my cleric alt, and i apparently need to go that way.

TraBuch

Banned
Well I wasn't expecting that. I was running back through Iron Keep to drop a summon sign at the boss door and
as I was running back through the boss room, The Pursuer showed up. Killed him and he dropped a Ring of Blade +1. Wonder if he spawns anywhere else. Really living up to the name.

slayn

needs to show more effort.

I have killed the Lost Sinner, Rotten and Duke's Dear Something (that giant spider) as well as a load of other bosses but I figured those are the ones worth mentioning.

I have several doors that wont open: The Shrine of Winter says I need to absorb greater souls or something to that effect, the door in forest of the giants that says I need to produce the King's symbol. And finally theres a door in Brightstone Cove near the giant sinkhole that is locked.

I feel like I have been decently thorough but I must have missed some path. Help please!
Have you tried taking a walk from Majula back towards Heide's tower?
Assuming you met her earlier in Heide's tower, the cleric woman will be in the room with the 'contraption that does not move' and can rotate the room unlocking new adventures. I'm guessing that's what you missed?

Anyone got any tips on how to beat
The Three Sentinels? After a lot of tries, i manage to take down the first one now without any huge problems, but after the first one is down, the two others attack you at the same time. Rolling away or blocking with shield seems to be damn hard, because if you block one of them and strike, then suddently the other Sentinel might hit you.

You'll need high poise and a high stability shield. As a previous poster said, deal with the 1st guy on the platform one-on-one, deal as much damage to the 2nd one as possible before the 3rd one shows up. If you can cut about a quarter of his health that's ideal. From that point on it becomes very handy to have a ranged attack - I used the Lightning Spear miracle and it worked wonders. Just get on the ground floor and pick off one with ranged attacks, then close in for the kill on the other one.
Needless to say that's probably the last time I solo that boss. Once I've solo'd a boss once I have nothing to prove on subsequent playthroughs, so summon away!

Kyuur

Had the exact same problem last night and had to post in this thread to figure it out, haha. It's kind of obscure if you don't do it early in the game:

You need to talk to the Miracle chick above the Dragonrider boss until she says she's going to move. Then go to the device between Heidi's and Majula.

but that's the scariest one!

Edit:

Also, alternate path spoiler question:
Can anyone confirm if clerics can open the path in the sewer area, or do you need to kill the dragon rider and get the lady to do it for you? She says miracles open the path, so i assumed that meant if you start as a cleric, you can access it immediately. I'd like to get sunbros asap on my cleric alt, and i apparently need to go that way.

I don't know, but I really hope this is the case. Would be extremely cool for new runs.

Chitown B

• The framerate, which never bothered me in the first games (even Blighttown never really bothered me) is grating on me now. How do the areas after the first few fare? Does it improve on the PS3 version?

really? Everything I read said there was not "blighttown" level of FR drop in the whole game.

Serra

Have you tried taking a walk from Majula back towards Heide's tower?
Assuming you met her earlier in Heide's tower, the cleric woman will be in the room with the 'contraption that does not move' and can rotate the room unlocking new adventures. I'm guessing that's what you missed?

Had the exact same problem last night and had to post in this thread to figure it out, haha. It's kind of obscure if you don't do it early in the game:

You need to talk to the Miracle chick above the Dragonrider boss until she says she's going to move. Then go to the device between Heidi's and Majula.

Thank you both! Thats pretty obscure, I would have never found that.

really? Everything I read said there was not "blighttown" level of FR drop in the whole game.

I don't know what that dude is smoking but im 20 hours in and nothing has been even remotely comparable to blightown levels of slowdown.

Facism

is the petrified something used for anything other than trading with snuggly?

Because he gave me a Titanite slab, and a Titanite slab within the first 5 minutes of starting the game is boss.

taoofjord

I didn't say it was as choppy as that area, I'm just saying that it's bothering me now. So far the overall framerate seems to be lower than that of Dark Souls but I could just be more sensitive to it. I'll be playing it some more this weekend so hopefully I'll just adjust to it.

Celegus

is the petrified something used for anything other than trading with snuggly?

Because he gave me a Titanite slab, and a Titanite slab within the first 5 minutes of starting the game is boss.

Must be random, I'm pretty sure I got a dragon bone when I traded it.

Sullichin

God damn. This game keeps going and going.
There are so many bosses. I'm guessing a good deal of them are actually optional. There's at least one fight I read about here that I'm not sure why I haven't triggered
the gargoyles - I unlocked the bell covenant area, joined the covenant, rang a bell.. I don't see any gargoyles.

(Boss we've seen in previews)
The mirror knight fight is fun, but fairly easy. I did it coop a bunch of times and it didn't get a chance to spawn an invader even once.
Did everyone at preview events suck at this game or did they nerf this boss?

PVP in this game is amazing! I love the dueling component of the brotherhood of blood covenant. It's like the arena in DS1 but it actually works, almost immediately too. That ring of sun power or whatever (that explodes when you take enough damage) seems to be used a lot. I wonder if the ring of thorns will be used in PVP too. Has anyone used that?

Rocking Black Knight Ultra Greatsword. It's still beastly.
Now it also does fire damage
. Still using Large Club for PVE. I tried it in PVP and had way better luck with the BK sword.

(late boss spoiler)
Demon of Song has an amazing design! It was a pretty easy fight once I learned the attacks but holy shit the trek to that fog door is incredibly tough. This is one of my favorite bosses in the game though because it looks so cool.

Kyuur

Does anyone know if there is a power stance for crossbows? That would be awesome/hilarious. Power stance fists is already the most amazing thing.

georly

Does anyone know what happens if you (ultra spoiler ahead)
find the knight guy betrayed by pate before you find pate?

Yeah, I'm definitely going into work sleep deprived. I was supposed to get some sleep because I had to take my mom to the doctor, but I ended up playing all night. I have some time to rest before work once I pick her up but I'll definitely have rings under my eyes...ha ha.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my struggle through work. Us NoSleepBros won't be praising the sun today that's for sure.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I didn't say it was as choppy as that area, I'm just saying that it's bothering me now. So far the overall framerate seems to be lower than that of Dark Souls but I could just be more sensitive to it. I'll be playing it some more this weekend so hopefully I'll just adjust to it.

It's not you. The average framerate on PS3 is lower and messier than Dark Souls. While there's no sustained 15fps zones like Blighttown, it rarely stays at 30fps. More like 26fps in quite a few places, even with no enemies alive.

Xbox version stays at 30fps a lot more due to no v-synch and lots of tearing.

oracrest

Haha, quite a ways into the game, and I still don't have the red soapstone. I don't mind if someone spoils it for me, where do you find this thing?

test_account

XP-39C²
If you want to beat them without any assistance this is what I did:
I would 1 v 1 the first guy, then wait on that platform after he was dead. Once one of them is up I would try to do as much damage to the 2nd guy while he is alone up there and then jump down as soon as the third guy comes up.

Once down on the ground I'd focus on attacking only the sentinel with less health. I usually waited until the weak one did the jumping attack, would run in get one hit and then roll the fuck out. Once he's down its fairly easy to 1v1 the other sentinel.
You'll need high poise and a high stability shield. As a previous poster said, deal with the 1st guy on the platform one-on-one, deal as much damage to the 2nd one as possible before the 3rd one shows up. If you can cut about a quarter of his health that's ideal. From that point on it becomes very handy to have a ranged attack - I used the Lightning Spear miracle and it worked wonders. Just get on the ground floor and pick off one with ranged attacks, then close in for the kill on the other one.
Needless to say that's probably the last time I solo that boss. Once I've solo'd a boss once I have nothing to prove on subsequent playthroughs, so summon away!
Thanks for the tips to you two as well! :) I currently use a Halberd, so i got decent range. Is there anyway to apply lightning to that? My character has very low Miracle and Magic levels, i have mostly focused on upgrading Health, Stamina, Strength and Dexterity.

ironcreed

Banned
Fucking sentinels.

One is easy. Two is hard.

And three can be a pain in the ass. I finally took care of them last night. It took quite a few tries, but it was just a matter of trying to keep them separated as much as possible. Lots of blocking, running around and carefully timing one or two hits here and there.

Tawpgun

I'm having a super hard time. I'm at the area that I suppose is like the spiritual succesor to the burg, the very first area after Majula, and just struggling. Theres so many different routes, but my guy has like NO life gems.

So far this game is harder than Dark Souls 1 imo. And thats not just because im started from the unknown.

soldat7

It's not you. The average framerate on PS3 is lower and messier than Dark Souls.

I'd like to see a detailed comparison between the two games, because I don't buy it. The animations are definitely worse, but the framerate is about the same (which is still not good).

Sullichin

Haha, quite a ways into the game, and I still don't have the red soapstone. I don't mind if someone spoils it for me, where do you find this thing?

I'm pretty sure I bought it from the
guy you talk to who lets you into the brotherhood of blood covenant after you beat the chariot boss.
I could be wrong though, but I did get it at some point...

If you want to duel, join the
brotherhood of blood covenant. The arena stuff is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom