• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rod

I'm having a super hard time. I'm at the area that I suppose is like the spiritual succesor to the burg, the very first area after Majula, and just struggling. Theres so many different routes, but my guy has like NO life gems.

So far this game is harder than Dark Souls 1 imo. And thats not just because im started from the unknown.

It sounds like you might have gone somewhere besides the typical beginning area after majula and into a much harder place for your level.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm having a super hard time. I'm at the area that I suppose is like the spiritual succesor to the burg, the very first area after Majula, and just struggling. Theres so many different routes, but my guy has like NO life gems.

So far this game is harder than Dark Souls 1 imo. And thats not just because im started from the unknown.

Yea, the adjustments to the various combat timing has made it the most difficult game in the series, at least in the early hours. Went back to Dark 1 a bit yesterday and it is shocking how effective rolling can be, also how much more lenient hit boxes and animations are, included move cancelling. Even blocking with your shield is far less punishing when low on stamina. Dark 2 really locks you in to every button press queued, potions are longer to quaff, and until you dump serious points into Adaptability, rolling is less easier to spam for safety.

Not sure how it pans out though, I feel with my leveling and several helpful rings, the difficulty curve has flattened a bit. Still rough but not so brutal as the first few hours. Demon's Souls got immensely easy with progression while Dark 1 maintained a pretty steady and balanced challenge. Dark 2 is definitely giving me more trouble than both have been thus far.

UnrealEck

That frame rate is hard to bear on PS3. If I had an Xbox controller (I own a console but no controller) I'd have rented that version instead.

A simple question now. How do you level up?

deeTyrant

Thanks for the tips to you two as well! :) I currently use a Halberd, so i got decent range. Is there anyway to apply lightning to that? My character has very low Miracle and Magic levels, i have mostly focused on upgrading Health, Stamina, Strength and Dexterity.

I know there is at least one gold pine resin for applying lightning in the tutorial area I also found some somewhere else but I can't remember where. I'm running a pure dex build and didn't know they were weak to lightning so I wouldn't say its required but it'd definitley help.

test_account

XP-39C²
I know there is at least one gold pine resin for applying lightning in the tutorial area I also found some somewhere else but I can't remember where. I'm running a pure dex build and didn't know they were weak to lightning so I wouldn't say its required but it'd definitley help.
Ok, cool, thanks for the info :)

By the way, what does Dexterity actually do? I know that some weapons require a certain level of Dexterity, but what advantages does it give the character? Do you hit faster with your weapon or something?

Freakin love the ability to respec. I haven't tried it but I might do it eventually later. Having that feature eliminates my need to google the most optimum stats for a weapon. Also makes me less worried about fuckin up my build as I know I can correct it.

I need Twinkling Titanite :(

Only got one so far, and i've seen around 4 already lol. It's a pain in the ass to hit those things. It looks like my swing hits the bug, but the game doesn't think i did.

Gurrry

Ok so I love this game. Its great. Im probably about 20 hours in at this point.

I love most of all of the new changes. They were much needed.

But the one glaring major issue that holds this game back is the enemies de-spawning. That just isnt a Dark Souls game to me. Thats fucking easy mode.

In DS1, if you couldnt get to a boss or beat the boss, tough fucking shit. You have to persevere and keep trying and trying. This is what makes you a better player. It put you in front of challenges that you HAD to face. This is what increased your skills over time.

In DS2, if you cant get to the fog gate, well.. here you go! Free pathway! Easy mode!

Seriously, I dont understand why they did this. Who in the fuck was asking for that feature? Its a glaring hole in an otherwise near perfect game.

Everytime I think, oh wow this game could be better than DS1, im reminded of the stupid ass mechanic of de-spawning enemies and I immediately have a bad taste in my mouth.

Honestly, this feature is so fucking stupid. Patch this out or give us the option to turn it off.

The PC version cant get here fast enough. Wtf were they thinking?

Ferr986

Whats the difference?

The front case have more detail

EU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma7WdBohEIA

US
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHFHlJxZLRk

Yea, the adjustments to the various combat timing has made it the most difficult game in the series, at least in the early hours. Went back to Dark 1 a bit yesterday and it is shocking how effective rolling can be, also how much more lenient hit boxes and animations are, included move cancelling. Even blocking with your shield is far less punishing when low on stamina. Dark 2 really locks you in to every button press queued, potions are longer to quaff, and until you dump serious points into Adaptability, rolling is less easier to spam for safety.

Yeah, also raising your shield is slower than in DS1. At first I didnt understand why I still got hit while raising my shield after an attack. That never happened in DS1.

But the one glaring major issue that holds this game back is the enemies de-spawning. That just isnt a Dark Souls game to me. Thats fucking easy mode.

In DS1, if you couldnt get to a boss or beat the boss, tough fucking shit. You have to persevere and keep trying and trying. This is what makes you a better player. It put you in front of challenges that you HAD to face. This is what increased your skills over time.

In DS2, if you cant get to the fog gate, well.. here you go! Free pathway! Easy mode!

Seriously, I dont understand why they did this. Who in the fuck was asking for that feature? Its a glaring hole in an otherwise near perfect game.

Everytime I think, oh wow this game could be better than DS1, im reminded of the stupid ass mechanic of de-spawning enemies and I immediately have a bad taste in my mouth.

Honestly, this feature is so fucking stupid. Patch this out or give us the option to turn it off.

It can be argued that you cant grind for levels now. In DS1 if you had problems with a boss you could always grind for souls till you "outlevel" the boss.

FluxWaveZ

Real beginner question, but after
defeating the last giant, am I supposed to head towardes Heide's Ruin? These statue guys are killing me.

Mendrox

Yeah, I'm definitely going into work sleep deprived. I was supposed to get some sleep because I had to take my mom to the doctor, but I ended up playing all night. I have some time to rest before work once I pick her up but I'll definitely have rings under my eyes...ha ha.

I am also sleep deprived lol. I love a new Souls game where nobody knows everything! That is the most fun. It is like a treasure hunt with millions of people.

TheContact

Somewhere in the early stages of the game there is a sword with an enchantment in a cave guarded by by a fire frog. Can someone tell me where this is? Is it the same cave with the cartographer?

Brohan

5 bosses beaten so far on my Paladin and only 4 deaths, one due to gravity T.T.
Lightning miracles and emit force are incredibly strong.

Gurrry

It can be argued that you cant grind for levels now. In DS1 if you had problems with a boss you could always grind for souls till you "outlevel" the boss.

IMO, that was part of the souls games. If you wanted to go grind for shards to increase your weapons damage, you could! It might take a long time, but if you wanted to, you could do it.

Now, youre pretty much stuck with whatever you get in those first 10 drops and you have to start the game all over again. That is a broken idea.

If I want to waste my time grinding away for levels, let me. That doesnt make the game harder or easier, it just gives us options. Why take those options away from us?

Sullichin

Somewhere in the early stages of the game there is a sword with an enchantment in a cave guarded by by a fire frog. Can someone tell me where this is? Is it the same cave with the cartographer?

Near that area, but drop down to the ground level and explore there

There's an item on a ledge in the forest of giants just kind of behind/above the bonfire, is it worth getting - I've died about 10 times trying to get it. I can make it on to the stone just below it but can't quite get on the area with the item.

I think I must be pretty close to exhausting the spawns of the enemies, so I'm quite interested to see what it's like when that happens in comparison to DS1.

Is there a map or something that shows where to go from majula to....

I just killed the
sinner
and i have no f idea where to go now,
shaded woods, huntman copse

That is
in the Forest of the Fallen Giants. One way to get to it is, from the Cardinal Tower bonfire, walk out through the door you originally came in through. Look down the side of the castle wall and you'll see some wooden catwalks to fall down onto. The cave is on the ground floor once you drop all the way down. I recommend be extra careful in the cave.

Ferr986

IMO, that was part of the souls games. If you wanted to go grind for shards to increase your weapons damage, you could! It might take a long time, but if you wanted to, you could do it.

Now, youre pretty much stuck with whatever you get in those first 10 drops and you have to start the game all over again. That is a broken idea.

If I want to waste my time grinding away for levels, let me. That doesnt make the game harder or easier, it just gives us options. Why take those options away from us?

Yeah I do agree on that. I mean, I dont see it as a easymode change, because it can actually make the game harder sometimes, its more of an annoying change for me.

ironcreed

Banned

I have had hardly any enemies disappear and am finding the game to be much more difficult than the first one. Areas like Undead Burg and The Depths were not even close to being as hard starting out, but that is beside the point. You can use fire ascetic to make enemies respawn in any area if you get to the point where this is an issue. Doing so also makes them jump up in difficulty every time you use it. Problem solved.

Stupid question : regarding bosses and achievements

I killed Last giant, red dragon knight, ornstein 2 and the pursuer and only the giant gave a trophy. Is it normal ?

isual

that should be in the area outside of the cardinal keep bonfire. You probably wont be able to kill it unless you have a ton of magic/dex bow.

its the green area where you get outside, and you have drop down.

not the cave place where pete the carto is

NIN90

Second bonfire of Forest of Fallen Giants. Head outside and go down the scaffolding. The cave is down in that area.

Thanks for the tips to you two as well! :) I currently use a Halberd, so i got decent range. Is there anyway to apply lightning to that? My character has very low Miracle and Magic levels, i have mostly focused on upgrading Health, Stamina, Strength and Dexterity.

There is!
Do you remember the giant cyclops hanging out on the trail just in front of the Fire Keeper's cabin? He's guarding some gold pine resin, which you can use to imbue your weapons with lightning.

Sullichin

SL 120 on a pure STR build, i'm getting destroyed by those fucking mages.

Yeah, I was ~95, also STR, same thing. I had one shield that blocks 80% magic damage and I tried using that, but had better luck dodging and spamming estus. Crossbow was helpful but it's really hard to aim without getting hit from somewhere else. And fuck that thing that breaks all your equipment before you get to the water! Fuck! I killed that thing over and over just so it despawned. Ran out of all of my consumables and arrows and have a ton of broken rings. Glad I'm past that part. It has a really cool boss though so I'll probably do it coop a bunch of times.

Gurrry

Isn't it to prevent people from grinding?

Grinding has always been a part of souls games. I dont understand why this is now an issue all of a sudden.

No one can make the games easier by simply grinding. You still have to have the skills to fight the enemies and make it to the boss. Not to mention you lose health everytime you die, which helps discourage grinding already.

They didnt need to do this. Its a mechanic that completely bums me out and I cant believe more Souls pros arent up in arms about this.

It used to be fun to grind for shards and slabs. Now, I dont know what to think about it anymore.

XxRaiDeNxX

Neo Member
Hi guys, I have a problem with the game and think it's a possible bug.
I'm level 128 swordsman with 41 hours.
I'm stuck at the
Drangleic Castle gate
, one of the
statue
don't absorb the souls necessary
to open the door. I tried to kill a lot of mobs in front of the door/statue but nothing happens
What I have to do? I've beaten all the bosses (including the optional ones).

Sarcasm

You can STILL grind. After 15 you use this fire item which resets that and bumps the mobs to NG+ (NG++, NG+++ etc you get the point) that stay that way regardless when you actually start a NG+.

mxgt

Banned
Anyone know where the boss soul trader disappears to after you free him? I can't seem to find him anywhere in Majula, unless I'm blind..

So doing a walkthrough on this game just seems like a massive undertaking, so instead I'm going to be doing a boss guide. Here is my first video - The Last Giant. If you guys have tips/tactics on bosses that you think would stick out, let me know. Shoot me a PM.

"Massive undertaking" is an understatement, I like the boss guide idea, there are some that are up, but don't really explain anything, just show you how to kill the boss.. a voice over would help, as well as some build ideas fr people who like specific weapons to be most effective.

Gurrry

I have had hardly any enemies disappear and am finding the game to be much more difficult than the first one. Areas like Undead Burg and The Depths were not even close to being as hard starting out, but that is beside the point. You can use fire ascetic to make enemies respawn in any area if you get to the point where this is an issue. Doing so also makes them jump up in difficulty every time you use it. Problem solved.

Oh great, and how do I get a bunch of Bonfire Ascetic? There are only a limited number of them lying around in the world. So.. should I go grind for them?

Oh wait...

This is my exact complaint. The game is holding me back in ways that other souls games would never even dream of. And if youre going to put that item in the game in the first place, JUST LET ME FUCKING HAVE IT PERMANENTLY!

Fhtagn

You can STILL grind. After 15 you use this fire item which resets that and bumps the mobs to NG+ (NG++, NG+++ etc you get the point) that stay that way regardless when you actually start a NG+.

yeah, in practice, it's the opposite of easy mode: they spawn hard monsters right in front of some bonfires, and if you want to really grind, you only can by increasing the difficulty
and respawning the boss, apparently, also at increased difficulty

I get that grinding might have made the game too easy to cheese, but I never really felt that way. Souls games are still all about execution, stats are a pretty small part of how to progress overall.

I always felt like being able to practice running through areas and get souls was invaluable, personally.

Jb

Okay I've tried about a dozen times to take out those fucking
dogs
during the
Royal Rat Authority
boss but I just can't find a viable strategy other than blind luck. Anyone found a good method to deal with this fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom