• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how do you guys generally handle the soul giving items? Do you just use them all at once and level up or buy something? Or do you hoard them for any reason? I know that
boss souls are a different story because they are used to create weapons

slayn

needs to show more effort.
So how do you guys generally handle the soul giving items? Do you just use them all at once and level up or buy something? Or do you hoard them for any reason? I know that
boss souls are a different story because they are used to create weapons
I save them for the inevitable points where I realized I really need souls for something and don't have them. Examples include finding a merchant in the middle of nowhere with cool shit, needing to repair something after dying, or being a few souls short of upgrading an important piece of gear.

should i bother with lightning up the sconces and braziers around the levels? is there something relevant to them or are they kinda useless now that the lighting was changed?

Some of them actually activate events. So...there's no real way to be sure. The completionist in me motivates me to light them.

I just like the idea of bringing light to the darkness...so to speak.

mattp

So apparently regaining humanity after being summoned is a glitch and FROM is going to look into patching it?
lol fuck, really?
where'd you read that?
they should make it so there's a chance of getting an effigy after helping someone beat a boss or something

This game is so good. Screw the haters. So far it seems to be getting better whereas dark souls 1 for worse

Also, ADPT is a must for strength builds. I pay so

Just wanted to say that I'm liking the game more, it's getting harder, and my new favorite part of DSII is the
Balfrey Luna
. This is Dark Souls at its best. Just the feeling of dread I get every time I step through the door wondering if
someone will invade
is incredible.
I barely have time to put my summons sign down before I get summon invading. It's going to be tough to beat. I'm trying to save my Effigies for endgame, and I had to beat 3 invaders last time I was human. Used up all my Estus and then died on the gargoyles after my ally bit the dust.
Awesome PVP action.

Robot Pants

I have 26 hours on my first character before I decided I hate the swordsman and want to start over. And I have 10 on my second character and I have yet to be invaded or summoned through a convenient.

What's the deal? I thought invasion was gonna be big in this game?

T.O.P

Banned
I have 26 hours on my first character before I decided I hate the swordsman and want to start over. And I have 10 on my second character and I have yet to be invaded or summoned through a convenient.

Same here, still not a single invasion :/

mattp

I wonder if the lack of invasions is from the limited invasion items
wish they would have an item like the soapstone for invading. like demon's souls

AngryMoth

So I've noticed that levelling up atunement and adaptability (at 8 and 20 respectively) both increase my agility by 1, so is it safe to go with atunement for a bit while still getting the speed benefits from adaptability? My priority is the agility bonus since I wasn't planning to use any magic but if I can still it while also picking up a few spell slots that would be nice.

Sotha_Sil

Right now I'd say the game is better than Demon's but not as good as Dark Souls. The bosses have been pretty underwhelming from the 10-12 of them so far. Only two have been a challenge when going solo.

Also, IDK how the invasions work, but it's only happened in one area for me, and that was covenant-related like DS1's Forest Hunters and the Anor Londo group.

Plissken

Speaking of Estes flask shards, I feel like I should have more by now. I've reached
No Man's Wharf
, having beaten (boss spoilers)
The Last Giant, Dragonrider, and Old Dragonslayer
, and I only have 3 charges. The two I have found are from the
well in Mejula
and from the chest in
Cardinal Tower
above the bonfire.

Are there more I could have at this point?

Dylan

In general, is it really that bad that you need to start over? The way I played through Dark Souls 1, I had no idea what any of the stats did, but I was still able to just level up kind of blind and do what I wanted. I ended up with high dex and int, so I was a katana-wielding caster, and the stats I mistakenly dropped into stuff like Faith didn't really seem to bog down my progress at all.

I'm taking sort of the same approach to DSII, bad idea? I'm not one of those people that absolutely has to be 100% efficient with every stat.

Cheers, I thought I did talk to everyone there (Black Smith, Cat, guy by the tower). (I got as far as being given the White Soap Stone). Also, how do you level up? That's not on the Bonfire menu now?

Another question for PS3 users, does the sound keep cutting in and out? It never happened with DkS1, but noticing it all the time on this (running from disc).

halfbeast

Banned
ugh, I'm at the point where strategy doesn't work anymore because of those ridiculous mechanics. what's with getting stuck on tiny little polygons? my character can't roll when I'm too close to a boss and get insta-killed/hit immediately because of it. some animations seem incredibly wonky, a strategy since the beginning of the souls series (and in many other games) is triggering the animation and then hitting them, when they're out of stamina. well, apparently when the game decides you have to die, that just goes on until it insta-kill grabs you.

I'm all for mysterious games that encourages exploring, but when you don't have a fucking clue how your stupid skills work, why bother?

NIN90

Right now I'd say the game is better than Demon's but not as good as Dark Souls. The bosses have been pretty underwhelming from the 10-12 of them so far. Only two have been a challenge when going solo.

Also, IDK how the invasions work, but it's only happened in one area for me, and that was covenant-related like DS1's Forest Hunters and the Anor Londo group.

You done
Ruin Sentinels
yet? You'll get challenged alright. :)

fedexpeon

Banned
I LOVE that FS went with 4 slots for ring.
I receive a Spiritual+1 ring that gives +2 spell slots.
No need to put any points into Attuement for Pyro spells.

Sullichin

Cheers, I thought I did talk to everyone there (Black Smith, Cat, guy by the tower). (I got as far as being given the White Soap Stone). Also, how do you level up? That's not on the Bonfire menu now?

Another question for PS3 users, does the sound keep cutting in and out? It never happened with DkS1, but noticing it all the time on this (running from disc).

Sounds like you missed the main NPC in Majula. Near the bonfire. Sound cutting out happens to me too. Also really laggy menus.

Sullichin

ugh, I'm at the point where strategy doesn't work anymore because of those ridiculous mechanics. what's with getting stuck on tiny little polygons? my character can't roll when I'm too close to a boss and get insta-killed/hit immediately because of it. some animations seem incredibly wonky, a strategy since the beginning of the souls series (and in many other games) is triggering the animation and then hitting them, when they're out of stamina. well, apparently when the game decides you have to die, that just goes on until it insta-kill grabs you.

I'm all for mysterious games that encourages exploring, but when you don't have a fucking clue how your stupid skills work, why bother?

This is still the thing to do for like, every single boss

I'll give it a go, just switched to a Bastard Sword for the moment, gotta love that range

I went with the large club on my STR build - you can get it after beating
the ruin sentinels
. It's awesome. You can get the great club a little later but it's heavier.

Is it a sure thing that you must fight him? It reminds me of
Knight Lautrec of Carim
and I'm wondering if
leaving him alive
triggers something later?

Well, I checked the guide and there's no mention of anything. I think it's a (mildly challenging) way to get
a decent weapon early on

nded

Uh oh.

MDcs7lt.jpg

Celegus

In general, is it really that bad that you need to start over? The way I played through Dark Souls 1, I had no idea what any of the stats did, but I was still able to just level up kind of blind and do what I wanted. I ended up with high dex and int, so I was a katana-wielding caster, and the stats I mistakenly dropped into stuff like Faith didn't really seem to bog down my progress at all.

I'm taking sort of the same approach to DSII, bad idea? I'm not one of those people that absolutely has to be 100% efficient with every stat.

I think you'll be fine. There's even a respec item if you end up wanting to change later on. The biggest change from Dark Souls 1 is the adaptability stat, and how you should not ignore it.

Been playing a lot of PvP since last night and I'm super fucking impressed with what they've done with it. I'm sure people will start finding the broken shit eventually, but right now it feels like it might be a little TOO balanced. It feels like there's a counter for everything.

Best part is that invasions and such are near instant. First time I invaded someone I was like holy fuck. Pretty big difference from 1.

Only new thing I've seen that I'm not sure I like is how you can't (that I've seen so far anyway) heal when invading.

How do you invade people? I still can't figure it out, despite having cracked red eye orbs.

Sullichin

Has anyone been using pyromancy with no investment in int/faith? Is it still good?
I think I will start investing in ATT to add some pyromancy in NG+.
I only found the dark pyromancy glove though, which scales with hollowing. Am I correct in thinking that it will do the most damage if I have the least health? If so, cool idea; I wondered if any weapons would do that.

ironcreed

Banned
Hey the great sword in the wharf. It's vicious once you can one hand it

There are quite a few badass greatswords and ultra greatswords that I am looking forward to acquiring. Seeing all of the gear and items in the guide really made my jaw drop. Some of which you can only get in NG+ They really went nuts with this game and I love it.

Jagxyz

lol fuck, really?
where'd you read that?
they should make it so there's a chance of getting an effigy after helping someone beat a boss or something

From a reddit thread that cited a tweet from FROM. I'd link the thread but I can't seem to paste while on mobile. It's on the frontpage of /r/darksouls2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom