• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Belfry Luna boss spoiler)
I really dislike the gargoyle battle in this game. I kept trying the three sentinels fight for over 15 times until I managed to beat them alone and it was awesome, but this gargoyle fight is just frustrating.
I'm in the same position. Focus on only 1 gargoyle at a time until it's dead. There is a % of the overall health bar that causes the next gargoyle to come alive. You should never have to deal with more than 2 if you do it this. I know saying and doing are different things though.

I wish I could summon someone for the fight but the covenant makes that impossible. I'm going to go so other stuff and come back and hope for a better outcome.

Sullichin

Thinking about leveling STR for using the Bastard Sword. What do you guys that are farter think about it? I got summoned for the
Pursuer
, a boss that I have yet to complete, and I was doing shit damage with my Heide sword.

I used it in the early game and in some situations in the late game too (now lightning +8). I'd say it's pretty good - it doesn't have a stab move though. 2H R1's all day.

Raxus

buying unlimited titanite shards:
the merchant at harvest valley will go back to majula after you talk to her a bit. she also sells upgrade stones

I got her and she is still sold out. No large titanite shards either. Where do I get that ember?

Ferr986

I used it in the early game and in some situations in the late game too (now lightning +8). I'd say it's pretty good - it doesn't have a stab move though. 2H R1's all day.

Cool. I think Im gonna do it, and change it for the Claymore if I found it and its good. I used the Claymore in my first build on DS1 and served me very well

Posting my gut reactions here

First hour in:
Game looks like shit on a stick. Seriously ps2 tier. I played dark souls 1 exclusively on a tube TV and it looked great; a rich, full bodied believable world. Does the souls series suffer on hd screens or is it really just a downgrade?

The roll is very sluggish, even at sub 25% equip load. I saw somebody post that you have to boost the new adp stat to make it fluid. Is that true? If so sl1 runs will be a chore.

Menus are laggier

You know that bit in ds1 just before bed of chaos where you look over the staircase and see the unfinished graphics? That's what a lot of what I'm seeing here looks like.

Also, why did they add that ridiculous 'whoosh' sound to the jump? Sounds pathetic.

On with the playthrough...

Sullichin

Posting my gut reactions here

First hour in:
Game looks like shit on a stick. Seriously ps2 tier. I played dark souls 1 exclusively on a tube TV and it looked great; a rich, full bodied believable world. Does the souls series suffer on hd screens or is it really just a downgrade?

The roll is very sluggish, even at sub 25% equip load. I saw somebody post that you have to boost the new adp stat to make it fluid. Is that true? If so sl1 runs will be a chore.

Menus are laggier

You know that bit in ds1 just before bed of chaos where you look over the staircase and see the unfinished graphics? That's what a lot of what I'm seeing here looks like.

Also, why did they add that ridiculous 'whoosh' sound to the jump? Sounds pathetic.

On with the playthrough...

First area is butt ugly. There's some gorgeous areas in the game though. And yeah, you wanna pump that ADP

Gorillaz

I really hate magic users in pvp. I've just been ganked by 3 different ones who didn't do shit but stand there and let their back up fight

Filth

Can some1 explain the gutter to me. I found the 2nd bonfire but I've been going up and down on these ladders by the huge ant for 2 hours. I can't find my way.

Asking again:

Does anyone know how STR works in DS2 (surely someone is doing a STR build). Will a 40/40 claymore have the same AR as a 2h 28/40 claymore?

Also what requirements from stats do armours ask for? STR, VIG?

skynidas

Banned
Can some1 explain the gutter to me. I found the 2nd bonfire but I've been going up and down on these ladders by the huge ant for 2 hours. I can't find my way.

You are doi
ng the right thing, there is a way down those ladders. You just have to find it, If it is too Dark use a torch

Farooq

Banned
In Dark Souls 1, you could kill the merchant in the undead burg and receive a uchigatana early.

I think there may be something similar in this game.

Weapon and NPC spoilers:
If you kill Hag Melentia, apparently she drops a darkdrift katana. Can anyone confirm? If not, I will take the bullet and confirm if this is true or not. I must also point out there is another way to get the weapon. I won't specify how because I don't want to spoil anything.

stupei

Decided to roll a second character as a sorcerer just to play around a bit with magic, but I'm still focusing on my level 38 swordsman.

When I got a little tired of attempting the boss fight at the
Lost Bastille
last night, I decided to swap characters and run straight for the
Tower of Flame
to grind a bit with only soul arrow and a dagger. Upgraded my estus flask and pretty soon I think I might be up for an early run on the
ring of binding
but for the most part I don't think I'm going to be dumping nearly as much time into the second character.

At least, not yet.

But I read somewhere the flame sword from
forest of fallen giants
uses INT, can anyone confirm? At work and can't check in my other character's inventory.

Are the wharfs the area before or after Bastille?

I'm afraid I might've missed it.

It's actually connected to the
tower of flame

Sullichin

Asking again:

Does anyone know how STR works in DS2 (surely someone is doing a STR build). Will a 40/40 claymore have the same AR as a 2h 28/40 claymore?

Also what requirements from stats do armours ask for? STR, VIG?

I'm doing a STR Build and I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I was able to 2H a weapon wihtout a penalty before I hit the STR requirement, just like before.I heard it's actually a 100% increase this time, but just on the weilding requirement, not actual damage.

2 Hand hits seem to do more poise damage and damage in general. I brought my STR to 40. The biggest AR improvements were between 30-40. Looks like only one other point per level after 40, so I stopped.

Finally beat the
spider
boss after what must have been about 20 attempts. Soloed it in the end because the people I was summoning kept dying too early. I don't even think it's that tough a fight, just requires patients which I am lacking today.

Im sorry I may have been one of those people. I am trying to be summoned just to get my estus flasks back, I am dying super fast.

Dresden

But I read somewhere the flame sword from
forest of fallen giants
uses INT, can anyone confirm? At work and can't check in my other character's inventory.

Fire damage for the sword is scaled off a combo of INT and Faith, from what it says in the description.

T.O.P

Banned
Welp level 58, just reached Sinners Rise, gonna call it a day and relax a bit with Titans

the Bastille boss was hilarious, i summoned an npc because why the hell not, i just had to run around like a maniac while the mage kept sniping the boss with some OP damage lol

I saw one of those
little blue lizard things run from me next to a message that said "ore ahead"
. He got away. Did I miss a good item drop? Any advice how to catch those?

I'm doing a STR Build and I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I was able to 2H a weapon wihtout a penalty before I hit the STR requirement, just like before.I heard it's actually a 100% increase this time, but just on the weilding requirement, not actual damage.

2 Hand hits seem to do more poise damage and damage in general. I brought my STR to 40. The biggest AR improvements were between 30-40. Looks like only one other point per level after 40, so I stopped.

STR scales in 2h just like Ds's right.

If so I can safely say STR builds are officially useless.

With 25 STR you can wield the biggest STR weapon and still get the scaled damage bonus. Seriously whats the point in investing 50 stats into STR? So you can 1h lol?

FROM has once again shown that they are filthy dex whores.

If anyone has beat the game or is close to, how would you rank the 3 souls games in terms of

1. Best bosses

2. Best areas (in variety, enemies, design etc.)

3. Best atmosphere (similar to pt. 2 but taken as a whole)

4. Best overall experience.

I know my ranking 8 hours in, but I want to see if that may change.

Cocaloch

I'm having problems with the
Brotherhood of Blood
covenant and ranking up.
Despite the fact that I have well over 50 kills I am still rank 0 according to the cat lady. I really want the cursed twinblade though. Anyone know what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom