• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidentally hit the merchant in
No-Man's Wharf
, now he's stomping around behind a closed door and wants to kill me. Is there a way to make him friendly again like in Dark Souls?

Tiops

Tonight I will face the 'splodey mummy guys in Lost Bastille without fear, for I have no souls to lose and I'm already max hollow anyway. That wonderful sense of freedom that comes coupled with hitting rock bottom.

Well shit. That's the kind of bug I hope they don't fix.

If we run out of effigies then we're fucked. Not every DS player is skilled enough not to die over and over.
Anyone know what the Pharros Lockstone in No Man's Wharf does??

Wait I see now damn lol now I feel like I wasted it :/
I lights up the giant lantern hanging over that area. Making those long armed monsters hide, and making the area well lit.

UKGafer, picked up my copy today. My first impressions:

The art design is still amazing, the first area has some great lighting and sets a great tone. It feels more like a traditional RPG so far story was is it shovels EXPOSITION on you from the get go, at least for the first 30 mins or so. The performance is pretyt bad though, it feels sub 30fps at all time on the PS3, and from a pure visual standpoint looks very rough around the edges.

The combat system is fucked up, at least compared to Dark souls, I had some real trouble adjusting to the sluggish roll (even with light equipment). Took me some time to get used to it. There also seems to be some kind of input lag, though this could be possibly down to me.

The world feels a lot more disjointed than Dark Souls, I loved the feeling that everything felt connected in DS1, looking around from certain parts of the world and you would see the depths, the bell tower and Sen's Fortress ect... Plus the interaction between the different environments looked fantastic too, eg. the water from the Depths flowing into Blight town and the tops of trees from Darkroot being visible in the undead Burg. Whereas in DS2 it just feels like a ton of underground passages connect the different environments which make it feel rudimentary.

The menus are fantastic now, easier to use and more informative. However I don't like the low durability of the weapons and the auto repair of them when you rest at a bonfire, DS1s system was better.

That being said it's still a fantastic game so far, and From are still some of the best devs around.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Anyone got a link to that helpful youtube video where someone presumably explains what all the various stats effect on your character?

Dresden

Worst part about it is that there's going to be a lot more people using the black crystal to warp out once this is known. this combined with soul memory and the different ng+ cycles splitting the userbase is going to be disastrous for any long-term online community building.

ironcreed

Banned
Where is this? I vaguely remember this and deciding I'd come back later.

This game is too big!

She is the lady you meet selling miracles after beating Dragonrider at Heide's Tower of Flame. After you exhaust her dialogue, she moves to the area on the way to Heide's Tower from Majula down in the first room. She has the key that opens the way to Huntsman's Copse. You can pay her 2000 souls to open the way or kill her and take the key for yourself.

njean777

My favorite so far: Executioner Charriot.

Such music.
Much dynamism.
Wow.

Fuck that fight, fuck it to hell. Took me 8 tries, the reviving skeletons are terrible. Funny thing is that you can roll through the chariots blades if you time it right.

DC1

I accidentally hit the merchant in
No-Man's Wharf
, now he's stomping around behind a closed door and wants to kill me. Is there a way to make him friendly again like in Dark Souls?
Kill him and then pay the required souks to bring him back.

And it couldn't have been one hit (I've done that a few times)

You must have repeatedly hit that guy. Right?

Hobohodo

Okay guys, I've briefly played both of the Soul's games that have come out so far but never got very far in them as other games have come along and they have fallen to the way side. Hoping to change that with Dark Souls 2. As I'm still pretty new to the series was just wondering if there are any good on line resources that will explain what all the symbols mean in the stats page for my character?

Also if anyone could just let me know if I am missing anything to obvious in an early game area it would be greatly appreciated.
I've made my way through the Forest of Giants (think that's what it was called) carried on through the area till I got to a bonfire where a merchant was selling some stuff. I dropped down to a lower area, dealt with all the ghouls down there and the only thing I could see was a tunnel with some demon shooting fire at me. I managed to run down there and get a fire sword but from what I can see I can't do anything else in this area. Only thing I know I haven't done is fight that knight that was sitting under the tree but I figured it was best leaving him for now. I was gonna head back to Manjula and explore around there for some other area, but again I just wanna make sure there isn't some obvious path I have missed.

Oh and how do I level up? I'm getting worried about the Souls I am sitting on seeing as it's easy to lose them...

Fhtagn

However I don't like the low duribility of the weapons and the auto repair of them when you rest at a bonfire, DS1s system was better,

This is actually one of my favorite changes; before durability was a rare, possibly game-wrecking pain in the ass if you didn't have repair powder, now it's a constant light pressure that occasionally has great dramatic effect, at least in my game thus far. I broke my only good weapon before I had a blacksmith to fix it. Overcoming that ruled and you better believe I pay attention to durability now and always have a second weapon equipped as backup.

I think this game is better than Dark Souls at the things that Dark Souls 2 is good at, like crazy intense many-enemies at once challenges, but the true wrap-around interconnection of the world map is something I miss. The variety and vastness of the levels I've found thus far is making up for the lack of that and overall I am happy they've made a third game with it's own personality instead of hewing as close the DS 1 as possible.

Okay guys, I've briefly played both of the Soul's games that have come out so far but never got very far in them as other games have come along and they have fallen to the way side. Hoping to change that with Dark Souls 2. As I'm still pretty new to the series was just wondering if there are any good on line resources that will explain what all the symbols mean in the stats page for my character?

Also if anyone could just let me know if I am missing anything to obvious in an early game area it would be greatly appreciated.
I've made my way through the Forest of Giants (think that's what it was called) carried on through the area till I got to a bonfire where a merchant was selling some stuff. I dropped down to a lower area, dealt with all the ghouls down there and the only thing I could see was a tunnel with some demon shooting fire at me. I managed to run down there and get a fire sword but from what I can see I can't do anything else in this area. Only thing I know I haven't done is fight that knight that was sitting under the tree but I figured it was best leaving him for now. I was gonna head back to Manjula and explore around there for some other area, but again I just wanna make sure there isn't some obvious path I have missed.

Oh and how do I level up? I'm getting worried about the Souls I am sitting on seeing as it's easy to lose them...

Talk to the woman next to the bonfire to level up. You need to talk to her a few times before the level up menu is brought up!

stupei

Fire damage for the sword is scaled off a combo of INT and Faith, from what it says in the description.

I provide the conformation on this.

Thanks!

Nooooo.

I really liked the idea that there was an added incentive to participate in co-op, given that human effigies are sometimes in short supply.

lol seen this on reddit

EaqAXr7.jpg

Eusis

The fuck at reviving to human occasionally being "a bug." Unless it was meant to reliably happen upon "duty fulfilled" they really should officially make it a feature, it's a great incentive to play with other people. Especially with enemies being exhaustible and no place to buy unlimited numbers of them far as I know. Not that it'd surprise me if they patched it out since the game kind of does feel like it's being merciless in the worst ways at times.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Deciding what stats to put souls in the early-game is always so gut wrenching for me!

Starting off a sorcery, and pumping all my level's into Str to get to 10 as a minimum to rock a good shield... haha. Oh, decisions decisions.

Nose Master

Near the first(?) bonfire in Forest of the Giants (by the river), how the hell do you get that item up on the ledge? And is it worth it?

Went to the birds nest and drop a large silky smooth stone and got the
Channeler's Trident
. Time to start dancing upon the grave of my enemies.

XxRaiDeNxX

Neo Member
Please help me, i cannot enter in the
drangleic castle, because one of the two statue isn't active
. I killed mobs near it for 25 minutes, restarted the console but nothing changed.
What can I do to continue? It is a bug?

The Lamp

Why are the controls so unreliable in this game compared to DS1? Sometimes there's an unusual delay when trying to use items or input am attack. Sometimes the input doesn't register at all, like using an estus flask.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Any idea where Hag Melentia shows up after she leaves her first spot at forest of the fallen giants?

she back at the hub.

where are the elemental weapons ? or that black smiths ember the one behind the wall ?

where did the female miracle seller move and are there others ?

So I will ask again since the OT is moving so fast

What is the best started gift from the old lady also holding a catalyst with both hands increase the spell damage?

Why are the controls so unreliable in this game compared to DS1? Sometimes there's an unusual delay when trying to use items or input am attack. Sometimes the input doesn't register at all, like using an estus flask.

Need to get your Adapability stat up. That will raise your Agility, which affects flask speed, shield raise speed, and rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom