• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

Need to get your Adapability stat up. That will raise your Agility, which affects flask speed, shield raise speed, and rolling.

I mean delay between me pressing the button and the character even trying the action. Sometimes my flask doesn't get used even when I press the button. It was so snappy in the previous two games. Idk. But yeah I raised my adaptability stat anyway.

koryuken

STR scales in 2h just like Ds's right.

If so I can safely say STR builds are officially useless.

With 25 STR you can wield the biggest STR weapon and still get the scaled damage bonus. Seriously whats the point in investing 50 stats into STR? So you can 1h lol?

FROM has once again shown that they are filthy dex whores.

I guess i'm not following this part: "STR scales in 2h just like Ds's right." Why are STR weapons bad in this game??

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
oh also I killed all the women in the starting area is that gonna come back to haunt me ?

georly

Confirmed:

A starting cleric can not open
the door to huntsman's copse by casting a miracle (heal) near the contraption

LProtag

Anyone else think that
The Lost Sinner
was kind of a chump?

Honestly surprised that he had a great soul and guarded a primal bonfire.

Sullichin

STR scales in 2h just like Ds's right.

If so I can safely say STR builds are officially useless.

With 25 STR you can wield the biggest STR weapon and still get the scaled damage bonus. Seriously whats the point in investing 50 stats into STR? So you can 1h lol?

FROM has once again shown that they are filthy dex whores.
No, this time you don't get the scaled damage bonus when 2 handing, just the ability to wield it with less STR without penalty. Your Attack rating for 1h and 2H a weapon are now exactly the same. I just tested it out. upping STR affects damage when 2 handing in an appreciable way. But the scaling itself doesn't seem to be as good as DS (S scaling on the Large Club)

So I will ask again since the OT is moving so fast

What is the best started gift from the old lady also holding a catalyst with both hands increase the spell damage?

Bonfire acetic or petrified something. You can grind souls early on with the former or potentially gets something nice from the Crow's in Betwix with the petrified something.

Lucentto

Banned
Just beat the game, around 30 hours. I beat practically every boss in the game except
The Ancient Dragon.
I find this game better than the first Dark Souls honestly.

Alucrid

Banned
Wow. I put my sign down for that boss fight. Anyways, the other summon ends up hitting me and kill the host with you know what.

I mean delay between me pressing the button and the character even trying the action. Sometimes my flask doesn't get used even when I press the button. It was so snappy in the previous two games. Idk. But yeah I raised my adaptability stat anyway.

I am getting this too. In general responsiveness feels down, even menu selection etc. Perhaps an update can improve it.

No, this time you don't get the scaled damage bonus when 2 handing, just the ability to wield it with less STR without penalty. Your Attack rating for 1h and 2H a weapon are now exactly the same. I just tested it out. upping STR affects damage when 2 handing in an appreciable way. But the scaling itself doesn't seem to be as good as DS (S scaling on the Large Club)

STR builds vindicated!

Cool detail I just read on reddit:

When I first went to the Tower of Flame, my character struggled to pull that lever that opens the door in the sewer. After getting my ass beat by that first huge knight, I went to the Forest of Fallen Giants, beat it, leveled STR VIG and END (I'm building a tank on legs), and went back. My character pulled the lever like it wasn't even there. It's a small touch, but it's cool that your character shows signs of progression outside of combat.

Unrelated but You guys think SL1 runs are possible? It was a big part of the scene in dark souls with this game focusing with dealing with more than one enemy at a time I'd imagine it would be extremely difficult?

Conezays

This boss fight, bahh.
Can you not get phantoms for the Rat Vanguard fight? Only boss I've encountered thus far that there isn't abundance of summon signs.

Ryu

I am getting this too. In general responsiveness feels down, even menu selection etc. Perhaps an update can improve it.

Same deal here. PS3 version as well I assume? Disk copy or digital? It feels like it's a loading issue with the disk and it honestly pisses me off. I've been told adaptability makes it better, but at 14 adaptability already and the game still isn't anywhere near as snappy and responsive as DKS1 was. It's honestly incredibly disappointing.

I literally died like 10 times versus the
medusa lady
all because I didn't know you had to
catch the dumb windmill on fire.
I wasted so much time and life gems. Poison should be banned from video games.

Can all enemies' attacks be parried? I dont' think I ever successfully parried one of the giants in Heide's Tower of Flame or whatever it was called. Makes fighting those guys as melee ridiculously hard, because their range is huge.

Jeramii

Banned
from Dark Souls facebook page:

"If you pre-ordered Dark Souls II on the PSN and have not received your bonus content - We apologize for the delay, but it is now available.

1. Go to the PlayStation Store.
2. Choose Dark Souls II.
3. Select the 'Free' version.
4. Re-download the game.

5. (Optional) Once the download starts, you can cancel and go to your Download List and resume each specific weapon/shield pack instead of the entire game.

Thank you for your patience!"

Mana Sin

I literally died like 10 times versus the
medusa lady
all because I didn't know you had to
catch the dumb windmill on fire.
I wasted so much time and life gems.

I've been sunbro-ing for that boss for a while now. It's slightly irritating when the host ignores your gestures to follow you (
to set the windmill on fire
) and instead run into the boss room without a care in the world. Then they die.

Ryu

Can all enemies' attacks be parried? I dont' think I ever successfully parried one of the giants in Heide's Tower of Flame or whatever it was called. Makes fighting those guys as melee ridiculously hard, because their range is huge.

No. Many cannot be parried. For the giants, it's better you circle strafe around them with the shield up or even roll around them. Also, club or blunt weapons do far more damage to them than swords or axes.

SpokkX

Aw crap just bought the ps3version (sold my 360)

...and I cannot play this :(

Played a few hours and the framerate is stuttering constantly, at least in Dark Souls there were areas with about 30fps for longer period of times

This game runs CONSTANTLY at about 18-25 as far as i can tell.
The stuttering is nauseating, it actually makes me physically ill.

Guess I have to hold out for a next gen version :(

So I got the (weapon)
Dragonslayer spear
and I gotta say, it's starting stats are pretty balls (bit more than half of the heide spear). They took away it's heavy attack, it takes rare materials to upgrade, and you can't enchant it. Heide spear is better in almost every way except range.

I'm going to try to upgrade it and see how it goes, but things are not looking up for zoidberg.

Okay so i have defeated these bosses so far

Dragonrider
The last Giant
The pursuer
Old dragonslayer (Brought a smile to my face!)

I made it to the
lost Bastille
with out clearing
no mans wharth
but i just made it to
no mans wharth
. I do not know what to do now.

How you got that many lockstone? I have like 1 lol.

Rat Covenant. Just join up after the boss fight then sit and wait in the first area of Grave of Saints. Each person that gets summoned and you kill will drop a Lockstone and a Rat Tail. Not gonna lie I use the rats in there to my advantage too lol

Is there something I'm missing with summoning? I've been summoned into other player's worlds multiple times, but I never see summon signs in my game. I tried burning a human effigy and that didn't change anything.

Prototype

god so tired.... i had the day off today and kept playing last night... went to bed at 9:00 am this morning... can't remember the last time a game kept me up like that.

AngryMoth

30+ hours into the game felt stuck with no idea where to go. Spent about an hour wandering around looking for places to use a key or something. Was close to googling but I'm so glad I didn't because it was very satisfying to figure it out.
Took a good hard look at that well, bought the silver cat ring, took off all my gear because I heard someone say they thought fall damage might be affected by equip load, took the leap of faith fully expecting to die and...success! I went all the way to the bottom and made it to the first bonfire in the gutter but that area looks like it's going to be a nightmare so I'm now fighting a bunch of rats in grave of the saints.

Also,
getting real sick of wasting my pharras lockstones on trolls :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom