• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakura

I've never bother much with the online component of DS1, but this time I want to try out the coop, and help other people defeat areas/bosses. How should I go about this? Just leave my summon sign near bonfires/fog doors, or is there more to it? Also, what is the benefit of using the small white soapstone instead of the normal one?
Leave your summon sign near a boss door and you should get summoned instantly. Then just follow the master in and beat the boss.

I've never bother much with the online component of DS1, but this time I want to try out the coop, and help other people defeat areas/bosses. How should I go about this? Just leave my summon sign near bonfires/fog doors, or is there more to it? Also, what is the benefit of using the small white soapstone instead of the normal one?

By getting summoned, you can earn souls and you have a chance to regain your humanity (which may be a bug?). The small soapstone reward is a smooth and shiny stone, which you can trade with the crows for random items (titanite, some weapons, etc). The normal soapstone reward is a Token of Fidelity.

I was a co-op virgin in DS1 but have used the system 20 times already in my 5 hours of DS2. Use the normal white soapstone it will give you more time to beat the boss or help the player. You should drop your summon signs near the Bonfire or outside the fog gate of a boss.

Guevara

I find that being able to teleport from the start of the game has made me less familiar with how the areas interconnect. It's taking me longer to remember how some areas connect to one another. That said, I greatly appreciate being able to travel around the world at will :)

I don't like it (but use it all the time). I really loved the shortcut system in DaS.

Nope. Each class starts with different items and such, but other than that it doesn't really matter. Unless you have a certain build in mind.
Well you can assign points where you want, so even with a specific build there's no reason to pick a specific class other than starter items.

Isn't the wanderer the best class to pick at start then for total point distribution ?

Leave your summon sign near a boss door and you should get summoned instantly. Then just follow the master in and beat the boss.

By getting summoned, you can earn souls and you have a chance to regain your humanity (which may be a bug?). The small soapstone reward is a smooth and shiny stone, which you can trade with the crows for random items (titanite, some weapons, etc). The normal soapstone reward is a Token of Fidelity.

I was a co-op virgin in DS1 but have used the system 20 times already in my 5 hours of DS2. Use the normal white soapstone it will give you more time to beat the boss or help the player. You should drop your summon signs near the Bonfire or outside the fog gate of a boss.

Thanks!

Scher

I've got a question regarding being summoned. I got summoned right outside the boss door, but the moment the host walked through the boss door, it said they had left the area and sent me back to my world. Does anyone know why this happened? I'm not fully aware with regards to the changes made to summoning, so a response would be much appreciated.

Dinda

Haha, i was just fighting against the Pursuer (6 or 7th try) i got him to about half health, and then he did fly out of the area and couldn't come back in! He was flying there trying to come back in and i could finish him off with magic.
Feels really cheap, but it was still a harder fight than it would have been with the balista.

Sakura

I've got a question regarding being summoned. I got summoned right outside the boss door, but the moment the host walked through the boss door, it said they had left the area and sent me back to my world. Does anyone know why this happened? I'm not fully aware with regards to the changes made to summoning, so a response would be much appreciated.

Maybe you or they got disconnected?

Prototype

tbh the level design is all over the place in this one. warpping was absolutely necessary imo.
Ya, places like
the primal flames
that just dead end you back to
majula
or some of the other areas
where you are dropped off or have to drop down and can't get back up
There are a lot more things like that in this game then in Dark Souls1.

That's the way I feel, it's a mixed blessing.

exactly, it just means it will take longer for the world to fit clearly in my mind. It's strange though, because of it, it makes the game both more easy (traveling) and more difficult (remembering where things are)

Probably a bug. Happened to me once as well.

2AdEPT

if i'm not wearing the cat ring, why i still have the cat buff symbol?

ibsYXJ4vLf4ltP.jpg
iL0Y63FXc8iJ9.jpg
You can get cat buff from other items or armour?
I have a question about one of the boss fights I was in. I summoned a phantom and a shade for The Pursuer. The shade did over a third of the bosses health in damage in one blow. Looked like it may have been a multi shot crossbow to the head. Anyone know what he could have done at that point?
Leaves message in front of you: try searching the environment.
Which bosses does She appear for?

major pinpoint accuracy spoilers:
wharf - rooftop archers
sinners rise - elevator base
Iron keep - smelter boss door
Black gulch - hidden bonfire
These names and spots mean nothing to me right now so i didnt mind looking it up for you! :p
Haha that guy fucked me completely. He's not shown up since, I guess I get a punt to best him later? Wondering the same, although I erbt back to the main area to get my Estus Flask! There is a big looking just past that silver guy, not been up there yet.
Will be interesting to see what happens if you actually do kill him early??
Anyone know how co-op level ranges work this time around? Is it the same as last game - 10 levels + 10%?

Helping people out is one of my favorite things to do in the series and I'm curious about what SL I should be staying around to be summoned across most bosses.
Not sure about pinpoint here because they are being coy and its not even in the guide...but they did say stuff like soul count, hours played, weaponry levels, areas unlocked may ALL play a factor....they tried as hard as they could to match people of equal stats so that it coes down to skill who is going to be more successful over time.

I agree, most of my 2500-3000 hours have been helping other players as a white phantom. I really enjoyed what has gone forth so far...had like 11 items in my inventory just for winning, i.e. host stays alive beat boss, whihc was probably only 40% I would guess?!!? Still lots of fun either way and bought all vendor equipment in Majula by SL 40 or so with the souls.

Killed a few friendlies though in the process of learning using
ballistas
. :( if you kill boss and host at close to same time or boss slightly after you get all the souls though :p. It really was an accident! But why anyone would stqnd in the way of the
ballista
is beyond me. Of course its more fun to shoot, but when I am the duck in the middle, I Never hang out in the middle....the cross hairs are basically the edge of the entrance door jam, left on left right on right. STAY AWAY FROM THESE LINES OF FIRE HELPERS! Even when the shooters are trying to miss the bolts come out at odd angle sometimes...stay on the edge, and roll through the middle if you have to. Roll to side if you hear the shot noise. Best is to stay on the back wall so boss is between you and the shot path.

ok done for today
dragonrider pisses me off so much. any viable strategies other than circling him ?

GUYS I NEED HELP (Npc possibly died)

So I
was freeing Rosabeth from petrification and gave her some clothes. After that I pulled the level near her and got ambushed. I was sandwiched between her and the enemies and didn't want to attack because I'd hit her so I died on purpose. As I died, so did she! The enemies raped her and I saw her dissolve into smoke. Is she dead for the whole game? Can I revive her somehow via gravestone? I checked all around and couldn't find anything in Majula or where she died.

I wanna learn all the gestures and repopulate Majula, am I screwed? :(

Apparently you can absolve deaths and raise dead spirits...no idea where or how, but I heard it costs a LOT of souls...especially if its emerald girl.

Prototype

Hey I got the
dark leggings
but, lol, I have no idea where or how I got it. I would like the rest of the set. Does anyone know if it dropped off an enemy? If so, please tell me. If it came out of a chest I don't want to know, I'll fine them myself eventually :)

Fuck the *early boss spoiler*
dragonrider
. I was feeling good having figured out the patterns of the big enemies in the area, then he comes in with his crazy reach and fucks me up

Late game character sidequest spoilers:
I helped Pate kill the other guy but should I now kill him as well to get his items? Or is he useful still.

Guys im stumped but how do i get the guy at the beginning of Huntsman's copse to give more dialogue?? Same for the guy in No Man's Wharf...im stumped..

Sotha_Sil

I'm starting to cruise through the game now, but I still haven't found an INT weapon. I've been using an upgraded flame longsword since it's damage is all straight up without stats. I'd like an equivalent to something like the Moonlight butterfly horn. I see that one knight has a Moonlight greatsword, too.

No good shields for my build (low STR/DEX), either.

Maybesew

I know it's early on, but do you think we will see SL1 runs in DS2?

I feel like the pyromancer was lightning in a bottle in a sense. They had 2 spell slots and could wield weapons that could be improved with magic that didn't scale with stats.

I don't see how the deprived of this game could be as viable.

Jobbs

Banned
My brother has the digital version and my god are the loading times better when compared to the disc version.

Both 250GB PS3 slims.

apparently this is the case. I've heard people moaning about 40 second load times but I've never had that experience. the load times are typically 10-15 seconds.

thejpfin

Man, I have been dying like 20 times in a row by normal enemies.
in wharf level
If you are even slightly drunk, is impossible to play this game. Beer and dark souls don't mix :(

By the way, can you get invaded if you are hollow? Still waiting my first invader pvp battle.

Zeliard

Not sure about pinpoint here because they are being coy and its not even in the guide...but they did say stuff like soul count, hours played, weaponry levels, areas unlocked may ALL play a factor....they tried as hard as they could to match people of equal stats so that it coes down to skill who is going to be more successful over time.

I hope soul history doesn't factor into co-op, because it means that the more you help people out with bosses, the less you eventually can as your soul history count climbs.

[NaK]

The
Belfry Gargoyles
boss is driving me crazy!
I can't handle them on my own, and as soon as I set foot in the tower in human form, some god damn grey shade invades me.

How did you guys beat this crap? :(

Oh boy, follow up to the late game sidequest spoilers
. The room pate gave me a key to had a booby trapped chest which blew up and I heart him laughing but when I homeword boned back as there was no way to get back up he was gone :/ Feel like I messed up, has anyone had Pate show up after the fight?

DC1

Okay guys, I've briefly played both of the Soul's games that have come out so far but never got very far in them as other games have come along and they have fallen to the way side. Hoping to change that with Dark Souls 2. As I'm still pretty new to the series was just wondering if there are any good on line resources that will explain what all the symbols mean in the stats page for my character?

Also if anyone could just let me know if I am missing anything to obvious in an early game area it would be greatly appreciated.
I've made my way through the Forest of Giants (think that's what it was called) carried on through the area till I got to a bonfire where a merchant was selling some stuff. I dropped down to a lower area, dealt with all the ghouls down there and the only thing I could see was a tunnel with some demon shooting fire at me. I managed to run down there and get a fire sword but from what I can see I can't do anything else in this area. Only thing I know I haven't done is fight that knight that was sitting under the tree but I figured it was best leaving him for now. I was gonna head back to Manjula and explore around there for some other area, but again I just wanna make sure there isn't some obvious path I have missed.

Oh and how do I level up? I'm getting worried about the Souls I am sitting on seeing as it's easy to lose them...

You're doing great!

First of all
the bonfire room with the old sex merchant is your prim location to a) fight the next boss and b) grind for extra souls.
You Level Up By Exhausting THE Conversation With the lady next to the bonfire in Manjula. The options to 'level up' becomes a topic for the next conversation you have with her.
...I'm assuming that you know how to get to the last giant boss fight. Keep it up! You only have 99.2 percent of the in front not you!

Maybesew

apparently this is the case. I've heard people moaning about 40 second load times but I've never had that experience. the load times are typically 10-15 seconds.

I was under the impression the game did a mandatory install? I have digital version so I don't know but I thought I read that.

Man I am feeling really lost. I've defeated 3 of the big bosses or w/e
The Sinner, The Rotten, and Iron King.
and now I have noooooooooo idea where to go. Must keep searching.

Footos22

[NaK];104411823 said:
The
Belfry Gargoyles
boss is driving me crazy!
I can't handle them on my own, and as soon as I set foot in the tower in human form, some god damn grey shade invades me.

How did you guys beat this crap? :(

Just beat them solo a min ago. Got lucky. That about it. You just have to kill each one as quick as poss. Fire longsword +10 helps a ton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom