• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scher

I've been doing coop to help people out with
Smelter Demon
for about the past hour, and I'm kind of surprised at how many people are having issues with this. I've already seen several people not get away from the AoE and die immediately. I just wanted to help out!

Garcia

I've been doing coop to help people out with
Smelter Demon
for about the past hour, and I'm kind of surprised at how many people are having issues with this. I've already seen several people not get away from the AoE and die immediately. I just wanted to help out!

It's the bug. That stupid and annoying bug what's keeping many from making any progress during that fight.

I also helped out 4 people after I managed to beat him. He's really easy, you just have to dodge all the time.

I've been summoning phantoms for each boss fight so far.
No shame.

I've been scared to use my Human Effigies because they feel pretty scarce, and I'd hate to run out when I get really stuck. So far the only time I even went Human was to get my health back after I was down to 50%, and that was only once.

Scher

It's the bug. That stupid and annoying bug what's keeping many from making any progress during that fight.

I also helped out 4 people after I managed to beat him. He's really easy, you just have to dodge all the time.

Yeah, now that I think of it, people are mostly dying right up on the wall. I didn't realize how prevalent the bug was going to be.

sixghost

I've been summoning phantoms for each boss fight so far.
No shame.

Honestly there are times where that makes things more difficult. The strength of the boss increase with each phantom. I eventually had to solo the Ruin Sentinels because idiot phantoms kept dying or getting knocked off and triggering the other 2.

I've been scared to use my Human Effigies because they feel pretty scarce, and I'd hate to run out when I get really stuck. So far the only time I even went Human was to get my health back after I was down to 50%, and that was only once.

I've used like 15 of them and still have plenty left. I was scared at first. You should probably get the ring of binding.

Aeana

Hideous Woods could belong to a Playstation 1 game. No hyperbole.

hqdefault.jpg

I guess they do look pretty much the same.

I'm on the
spider
boss, and I'm going to go nuts if there's one more boss that spawns with a bunch of enemies around him in this game. It serves no other purpose than to waste my time before I can actually start fighting the boss.

AlexIIDX

I haven't put this many hours into a game in 4 days, maybe ever....Just defeated the
3 Ruin Sentinels
after 4 tries....I'm kind of unsure how to pick my weapon. I wanna use heavier swords or axes so should I just be looking at what does the most damage? Or are there other stats I should take into consideration.

Hideous Woods could belong to a Playstation 1 game. No hyperbole.

Yeah, there's some areas that look rough. There's this one part, in the Forest of the Giants in the tower you find right after climbing up the ladder from the river, you get this unobstructed view of the background area and it looks like a bad PS2 game. I know it's not something they meant for you to see like that, but they should have put a wall there or something =P

FaintDeftone

The Ring of Binding will not allow you to summon, correct? If so, can you still see summon signs and just simply unequip it or do you have to have it off before the servers will display signs? I'm afraid if I equip the ring and get to the point where I want to summon, I'll be screwed.

I couldn't hold off anymore & bought the game. Graphic downgrades be damned, I haven't played a good single player game in months!

So what class & gift is the one to choose at the start?
IS there a Pyromancy & Master Key equivalent that everyone recommends for DS2?

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but FROM has a website that tracks player stats (clears, deaths, souls lost, etc).

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/players/index.html

Apparently 5 people cleared the game, 4.5 million deaths, 113+ billion souls lost, and 33,743 people died from traps.

And if you go to INVENTORY, you can see the currently most popular gear.

Falconer armor is pretty popular, the Blue Seal ring is #1, and one of the DLC shields is the most popular Normal Shields.

todd360

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but FROM has a website that tracks player stats (clears, deaths, souls lost, etc).

Apparently 5 people cleared the game, 4.5 million deaths, 113+ billion souls lost, and 33,743 people died from traps.

Falconer armor is pretty popular, the Blue Seal ring is #1, and one of the DLC shields is the most popular Normal Shields.

Wow. Only 5 people have beat the game so far. I mean I know it just came out but theres so many people playing it nonstop.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The only area so far I've felt was kind of ugly is
Harvest Valley
. I actually went "ew" there for a bit. Grey and washed out everywhere, could have used some better coloured textures. It's short though. And I guess it does succeed at looking bleak and desolate, hah.

Ferr986

Hows that only 5 guys cleared the game in PS3 but 4k on 360¿?

BeeDog

Fun game so far, too bad it's fugly as sin, a true shame. Not sure I'm going to like the limited enemy respawns.

Also, the first couple of bosses are very uninspired. Dragonrider, really? The worst boss in the ___ Souls games thus far.

Got some weapon questions:

1. I've decided I really love the greatsword-class moveset. I've been 2-handing a Bastard Sword +5 for a while now (should have been +10 but I spread my large shards too thin >_<) and it's working out great. I know there's probably better greatswords though, but can't figure out which ones are going to be the best. Equip weight is also a huge issue. Bastard Sword only weighs 6 pounds which is good for me - I like to keep my equip load under 70% for the non-fat roll. Any suggestions?

2. This is just for kicks, but since I'm comfortable with greatswords, should I consider moving to ultra greatswords? Only problems are: 1. My strength isn't high enough to 2-hand the Greatsword weapon, so I can't see what its actual moveset will be like and 2. Keeping equip load under 70% is very important for my playstyle. Ultras may simply be too heavy. I'll take some input though.

koryuken

Taken from Gamefaqs:

ran out of effigy's? read the patch coming that will fix the co-op 'bug'? dont worry i got your solution to all your hollow needs!

this requires you to have access to the
shrine on amana (i will not write a guide on how to get to this area as you have to progress through the game to get there anyway)

you also need to have spoken too all the girls that are non-hostile (you will find the first one in the first hut when you enter the zone, the second right before the boss (shes the one that 'dies') and the third at the statue which is in the next paragraph), this is part of a quest also you can not kill them (their name is milfanito) and to have beat the main boss of this area (the one that 'dies' when you speak to her doesnt end the quest or ruin anything, thats part of it all so dont panic when you see her just die when you speak with her)

once you beat the boss progress normally till you get to some stone pillars and then go to the building that looks like a watch tower and light the bonfire and then go upstairs and open the door (to open the door you must be hollow so rest at the bonfire then go take a swim then grab your souls and resume opening the door) you will then be attack by a few hollows and a mage further along the path, kill them and proceed into the structure that has another girl in it, speak to her and exhaust all of her dialog

now with all that done you can pray to the giant flaming statue to turn back into human form at any time BUT in order to do so you must have zero human effigy's, zero including in your item box

you're welcome

edit: this might be old news by now but with all the panic going on about "how are we going to turn human if we run out of effigy's!" i figure this is not common knowledge yet (also this info is all infact true, i got this from the game guide i bought since i know the wiki wont have accurate info for another week or so)

sikkinixx

So I started as a cleric class and just got to boss number one. But... I'm just not feeling it like I did with my DS cleric. I think mainly because the stats are a bit punishing in this one for starting as a cleric (dex is so low and most things I find are dex required) that and I found a chime right away so starting with one is a bit pointless. Heal is only a vendor away too. In DS with a master key it was easy to get Astora's Strsight sword ASAP and be set for the first while of the game if you were faith heavy. This doesn't have that net right away.

Wanna start over, and gear said the depraved actually seems like the best starting class no? You can get a decent elemental sword close to the start (clerics dex needs 5 points to use it), tons of life gems around, plus you start at level 1 so you could customize how you want. Is that crazy?

It's more fun honestly. I don't see the point of soloing.

Some people are gonna hate me for this but I abuse the Ring of Life Protection so I can stay in human form. Love cooping with people.

Side note, does anyone else think
The Gutter
is fucking amazing? I went through with a torch and I felt like a real adventurer using my torch to navigate and light sconces to mark places I've been to. Just a really engaging and immersive experience.

If you use the Soul Vessel to respec, does it let you change class ?
If not, do stats go back to level 1 or the initial class level ? (like Warrior initial level 12)

Also, I lost my beard and tattoo. Why ? :*(

mxgt

Banned
It's more fun honestly. I don't see the point of soloing.

Soloing bosses gives me a thrill and satisfaction (if the boss isn't really easy) that co-op'ing never will.

Don't get me wrong, I love putting my sunbro sign down and helping people kill bosses and then spamming that kneeldown emote afterwards, it's great. But there's really nothing like learning and overcoming a boss by yourself, in my opinion.

For example, I just beat the
Belfry Gargoyles
after a good 2 hours of attempts and I actually shouted out loud and fist pumped without shame, that's how amazing it felt. I know I could have saved myself 2 hours by summoning people, but I just don't like to do that in my own game. I would have felt nothing when they died.

SJRB

Gold Member

This is nifty, but also seems grossly outdated. I just checked Majula and the death count was over 20 million.

Doombear

Why are the controls so unreliable in this game compared to DS1? Sometimes there's an unusual delay when trying to use items or input am attack. Sometimes the input doesn't register at all, like using an estus flask.

I mean delay between me pressing the button and the character even trying the action. Sometimes my flask doesn't get used even when I press the button. It was so snappy in the previous two games. Idk. But yeah I raised my adaptability stat anyway.

Same deal here. PS3 version as well I assume? Disk copy or digital? It feels like it's a loading issue with the disk and it honestly pisses me off. I've been told adaptability makes it better, but at 14 adaptability already and the game still isn't anywhere near as snappy and responsive as DKS1 was. It's honestly incredibly disappointing.

So so strange, but I have been playing every night since Tuesday, always on my PS3 via a corded DS4 controller and while I have had the strange "I pressed the 'start' button didn't ... oh ok THERE the menu popped up" occurance, it was always just the menu that I noticed it on.

Today, I decided to go back to my sorcerer character that I haven't touched since Tuesday, and try to kill
Ornsteinface
and twice the button delay killed me. Rolled only totally DID NOT roll. I could FEEL that it was not responding. So strange, so I switched to my DS3 and beat him with no issues, rolled when I pressed roll. For what it is worth my Adaptability is about the same on both of my characters, I really am talking about responsiveness from Press O to see the roll.

Curious if others that are seeing strange response delay are using DS4s as well? Oh and I am disc copy FWIW.

Gorillaz

bell tower PvP is broken already

GG FromSoft, smart idea to allow the spam of invasion right off the bat and to cancel out any coop summoning. /s

There was no thought put into this section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom