• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral

Where the hell do I go after I've killed the 4 main bosses? The Herald lady told me to go to the castle. I read that it was past the door in the Shaded Woods but it's still telling me I need to "produce the symbol of the king."

Ravager61

So I was thinking the game felt kind of linear. I only really found 1 path to go.

So far I've done:
Giant Forest, Tower of Flame, Cathedral of Blue(just the boss, not sure if there is more), No-Man's Wharf, Lost Bastille, Sinner's Rise, Shaded Woods

Am I missing something in Majula? I feel like there should be more options in the way I could go but I really only have 1 option which is the area right after
Shaded Woods

Jesus Tapdancing Christ sorcery is fucking terrible in PvP. I'm currently 0-10 in sparring. Whatever happened to being able to hold your spell charge for feinting? Wasn't that a thing that was going to happen? Would help with the piss poor damage it does.

Realyn

Gotcha

I plan on going with Sorcerer, so will tons of INT and FAITH suffice? Will I need to invest in Endurance and Adaptability?

No about the first. Spells and Miracles are completly different things. One needs int and the other faith. It's kinda like str/dex with weapons.

Honestly, just play the game. You can't plan your first run in Dark Souls :). Skill Int until you got enough to use the spells you want and put the rest into str(however much you need for your armor), attunement(for magic slots) and the rest into hp/stamina and so on.

How do you get to the
Undead Purgatory
and the
chariot fight
. Just beat the
Skeletons
in Huntsman's Copse. Also, what is next for me?

Brohan

So I was thinking the game felt kind of linear. I only really found 1 path to go.

So far I've done:
Giant Forest, Tower of Flame, Cathedral of Blue(just the boss, not sure if there is more), No-Man's Wharf, Lost Bastille, Sinner's Rise, Shaded Woods

Am I missing something in Majula? I feel like there should be more options in the way I could go but I really only have 1 option which is the area right after
Shaded Woods

You have missed 2 other directions that i know of.
Go into the well in Majula and talk to the priestes in Tower of Flame a few times and She will move to the entrance you first took when you went to heide, there She will open a new passage.

Realyn

Thank you! I actually thought about doing that first one, but
I didn't think it would be enough to survive, and didn't really think it would lead anywhere
. Off to try it shortly! I even tried
buying the other ring from her and talking to that scorpion guy in the ruins
, with no luck.

Well I think the other way is the "right" one to progress. Just walk into the crypt and most likely you'll remember the device I'm talking about.

spliced

I love how the pyro lady wears my armor. I gave her all my garbage, she looks like a pile of laundry lol.

That Pharros elevator shortcut in Lost Bastille is the most pointless shortcut I've ever seen, I want my Pharros stone back.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Jesus Tapdancing Christ sorcery is fucking terrible in PvP. I'm currently 0-10 in sparring. Whatever happened to being able to hold your spell charge for feinting? Wasn't that a thing that was going to happen? Would help with the piss poor damage it does.

Apparently the latter spells are really good for pvp.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat the game. I love how it doesn't take you to NG+ immediately, you can continue exploring.

Took me about 58 hours with still things to discover.

sixghost

Gotcha

I plan on going with Sorcerer, so will tons of INT and FAITH suffice? Will I need to invest in Endurance and Adaptability?

What kind of character would you like to play? INT strengthens Sorcery, which is mostly offensive magic. Focusing mainly on INT and either DEX or STR will result in a character that is weaker than a pure melee build, but is really adaptable, because you'll be strong at range with your magic, and strong at melee with your magic buffed sword.

Faith strengthens Miracles, which are more about healing and defensive spells than offense, but there are still some attacking spells. You'll be really hard to kill if you focus on Faith, HP, and END with some STR or DEX added in.

If you just want to be a pure spellcaster, there's a branch of magic that uses both INT and Faith called Hexes, and there's pyromancy too. This type of build would probably require a lot more experimentation, since you'd be so weak at melee attacks.

sixghost

I think magic is stupid fucking strong in PvE and PvP. Like Dark Souls, it takes a while for magic to ramp up. Once you get some of the later spells, you are a killing machine.

Beat the game. I love how it doesn't take you to NG+ immediately, you can continue exploring.

Oh nice, didn't know that. Been farming co-op on the last boss. Got almost 700k now lol. Gonna finish it myself, was just worried I couldn't continue, since there's a few things I wanna do before NG+.

Brohan

So i think i saw a
Gorgoyle fly when i reached Sinner's spire in lost bastille and it flew away, is it still somewhere in lost bastille or did it go somewhere else?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I was playing late into the night trying to get the Sentinels. Tried co-op, just me and bellaclaire, and solo. Couldn't get him for 2 hours.

Got him 2nd try after sleep. Entirely solo too.

Which is to say it's good to take a little break when you're stuck.

emb

Well I think the other way is the "right" one to progress. Just walk into the crypt and most likely you'll remember the device I'm talking about.

Yep, I just went and checked and she's already there. I tried to mess with that contraption earlier, then went back down the path to her bonfire and tried talking to her a bunch (and kept going). Guess I did things out of order. Mad that I didn't stumble upon it, but happy to know what to do now. Thanks again!

I was playing late into the night trying to get the Sentinels. Tried co-op, just me and bellaclaire, and solo. Couldn't get him for 2 hours.

That's almost exactly what happened to me with the next (required) required boss after that. Weird how your perspective and strategies are so much more flexible after a break.

What's up with the rat area btw? When I first entered I somehow get summoned as a grey phantom for some reason.

I get further in only to see a white phantom that's pointing for me to follow him.

Eventually I reach him, he bows, then points for me to go in a direction where I can see a bunch of rats.

I was like fuck that, so I started attacking the dude, but he killed me in like 3 hits since I only had 50% health lol.

Anybody know what the fuck I experienced? Whole thing felt surreal.

MilkBeard

That sounds like a healthy number for a Souls game, and I like the fact that you can continue exploring if you want. I have been making pretty good progress but it seems like I still have a ton of areas yet left to go. I'm about 25 hours in.

Dark Souls originally took me about 90 hours, played completely offline. This time I'm playing online and the messages help make it go faster. I'll be curious to see how long it takes me to get through the game.

What's up with the rat area btw? When I first entered I somehow get summoned as a grey phantom for some reason.

I get further in only to see a white phantom that's pointing for me to follow him.

Eventually I reach him, he bows, then points for me to go in a direction where I can see a bunch of rats.

I was like fuck that, so I started attacking the dude, but he killed me in like 3 hits since I only had 50% health lol.

That's the rat covenant. You fell for a trap.

Gorillaz

dat rat covenant, It's beautiful isn't it

MilkBeard

I beat 'em first try. I actually found that summoning an NPC phantom actually is more annoying and troublesome than fighting alone. At least with my experience with the first boss. They kind of run willy-nilly and make it harder to predict the boss patterns.

Tilian

Banned
Goddamn
Smelter Demon
. Lost 6 effigies to him. I kept going back like a moth to a flame. Guess SL70 ain't gonna cut it anymore, even with 2 badass summons. But damn the armour and weaps
black katana
I got just getting back to the fog gate each time!

To those who have finished the game - do you think DS2 will have the same longevity as the first Dark Souls? Same replayability and complexity in the Lore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom