• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw lots of Pharros contraptions while walking. Are those supposed to activate traps?

What about the grey phantom thing as well?

I promptly peaced out of the area. Seemed like a pain in the ass.

Yeah most of them are traps.

The covenant is kinda the opposite of regular invasions. Non-members are summoned into a rat person's world and they try to trap and kill you.

Manus

Just so you guys know.
If you kill a NPC after their death and you reload a tombstone will appear. You can then summon their ghost for some souls and it's just as if they were never dead.

I'm still not really enjoying this game. The level design and boss battles are weak. And there's too much cheap shit. One boss threw its shield at me from off-screen and took 80% of my health while I was trying to avoid his buddy's attacks. :/

The ones in lost Bastille?

They're really easy to dodge.

Yeah, those are probably the easiest enemies in the game. Just strafe around them with your shield up and they can't touch you.

Yeah most of them are traps.

The covenant is kinda the opposite of regular invasions. Non-members are summoned into a rat person's world and they try to trap and kill you.

What in god's name was From thinking? That sounds obnoxious as all hell. I guess burning an effigy would help, but that still sucks.

rando14

Okay summoning is totally screwed up for me. I was summoning a ton yesterday but today they're all failing no matter where I do it. Is it broken for anyone else?

Anyone else having trouble pulling off Bash (Forward + R1) and Jump Attack's (Forward + R2) consistently? It seems like the controls for this are much less forgiving than DeS and DS1 and I have a hard time pulling them off for some reason so I'm not using them as much as I would like.

I've been having a lot of trouble with that as well. I never had any problems with this in the previous games either. Thought it was the Dual Shock 4 (even though I played through DS fine with it a few months ago) but it's about the same with a DS3. I can never get those attacks out when I need to use them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm still not really enjoying this game. The level design and boss battles are weak. And there's too much cheap shit. One boss threw its shield at me from off-screen and took 80% of my health while I was trying to avoid his buddy's attacks. :/

What you really want to do for that fight is to keep both of them on the screen at all times. Don't try to attack and lock yourself into an animation unless you know what both are doing.

MilkBeard

Lol those attacks are telegraphed and they lose blocking after they throw them. Never let bosses get behind you. Actually that's just a rule of Dark Souls.

Stoze

Forgive me, it's been a while since I've played Dark Souls 1 and I didn't play a whole lot of it. Why aren't my weapons that have magic damage doing much if any of the extra magic damage? For instance, I picked up a Fire Longsword and a Heide Knight Sword a while back, and neither of them seem to be doing that much damage, even though their magic damage + regular damage should put them over the damage of most standard weapons, i.e. Estoc, Broadsword, Handaxe, etc., but they don't seem to be doing so.

Also I picked up a Halberd that says 175 damage + 40 when equipped, and a Great Sword that says 140 + 52 when equipped. The Halberd dosen't seem to be doing nearly as much damage as the great sword most of the time though.

So are all these difference coming from attribute bonuses/scaling ( and if so why dosen't the Halberd do more on a regular attack)? I've been testing weapons on enemies around Forest of the Lost Giants and I'm not exactly sure where the discrepancies are coming from.

Alebelly

Forgive me, it's been a while since I've played Dark Souls 1 and I didn't play a whole lot of it. Why aren't my weapons that have magic damage doing much if any of the extra magic damage? For instance, I picked up a Fire Longsword and a Heide Knight Sword a while back, and neither of them seem to be doing that much damage, even though their magic damage + regular damage should put them over the damage of most standard weapons, i.e. Estoc, Broadsword, Handaxe, etc., but they don't seem to be doing so.

Also I picked up a Halberd that says 175 damage + 40 when equipped, and a Great Sword that says 140 + 52 when equipped. The Halberd dosen't seem to be doing nearly as much damage as the great sword most of the time though.

So are all these difference coming from attribute bonuses/scaling ( and if so why dosen't the Halberd do more on a regular attack)? I've been testing weapons on enemies around Forest of the Lost Giants and I'm not exactly sure where the discrepancies are coming from.

enemies have defense against physical damage as well as elemental/magic, just like you do

njean777

What you really want to do for that fight is to keep both of them on the screen at all times. Don't try to attack and lock yourself into an animation unless you know what both are doing.

That is how I beat them, just really patient and waited for openings. Took me about 15 minutes but I beat them through a battle of attrition.

Antiwhippy

Hiede requires faith I believe, and the fire long sword requires both INT and faith.

The lack of invincible rolling is really throwing me off with my start. That and having started as a swordsman with hilariously bad HP.

Do you actually gain invincible frames on rolls if you level ADP?

MilkBeard

Weapons scale with different stats. You can see the letter grade when you equip them. I have that Fire Longsword and a regular Longsword and the Fire Longsword has less attack but it does equal or more damage sometimes because of the added Fire damage.

EDIT: If the poster above is correct, then that makes sense as well. I don't put any extra points into faith and int, but I started as Explorer which has some of those stats up higher than some of the other physical based classes.

Arveene

Neo Member

You have to be precise with the Halberd, you want to make sure you're hitting enemies with the actual blade / tip. You'll do significantly less damage if you don't land your hits correctly. The same applies to other weapons too, but the Halberd is one where it makes a significant difference.

MilkBeard

That is how I beat them, just really patient and waited for openings. Took me about 15 minutes but I beat them through a battle of attrition.

Yeah, I also beat the
Bell Gargoyles
that way. It was overwhelming at first but I herded them like sheep and attacked whichever one strayed from the pack. Took a long time, but I'm used to this strategy as I used it in Dark Souls as well with O & S.

Antiwhippy

The lack of invincible rolling is really throwing me off with my start. That and having started as a swordsman with hilariously bad HP.

Do you actually gain invincible frames on rolls if you level ADP?

Yeah you do. I feel that I have enough with 10 adaptability, and I pretty much roll exclusively.

Scher

So I'm about as lost as can be. I've gotten three of the major souls (
Lost Sinner, Old Iron King, and The Rotten
), but now I'm completely lost. I cannot find anywhere else to go right now. Where exactly should I be going and how do I get there?

Atilac

There is an artist on twitter named HandicapHOBO, he's been drawing art and stuff for Dark Souls 2.I posted this on reddit, but no one seems to care. I'm hoping other people will find this beautiful and use it as wallpaper. It's 1920x1080

MANvsDARKSOULS2-1920x1080.jpg

Realyn

So uhm yeah, what's up with the boss in the sen fortress clone? I tried to get his tail but every spear attack did like 300 damage. Killed him in under 30 seconds. Okay, I guess ...

They never even tried to separate until that point. Then one of them decided to disappear and it was too late before I found him. ;_; I probably would have won had that not happened.

Lol those attacks are telegraphed and they lose blocking after they throw them. Never let bosses get behind you. Actually that's just a rule of Dark Souls.

Doesn't matter if its telegraphed when I can't see the animation. :/

LProtag

Need a break.

Also need to find a better weapon than the bastard sword. Any suggestions for a quality build? Leaning towards STR though.

So I'm about as lost as can be. I've gotten three of the major souls (
Lost Sinner, Old Iron King, and The Rotten
), but now I'm completely lost. I cannot find anywhere else to go right now. Where exactly should I be going and how do I get there?

Did you check the area with the statue near the starting town?

Scher

Doesn't matter if its telegraphed when I can't see the animation. :/

In the case of the boss you're talking about, you should be trying to corral them so that they're always in sight. As much as I'm disappointed in this game, that boss is not exactly what I would consider cheap. Just don't lock on so that you can keep your camera turned so as to see them both.

Rerolled a second character after playing 20 hours. On my second time through I can't seem to find No Man's Wharf....how/where do ya get there?

Rerolled a second character after playing 20 hours. On my second time through I can't seem to find No Man's Wharf....how/where do ya get there?

You get there from
Heide's Tower of Flame. From the top of the tower where you fight/fought the Dragonrider boss. You go across a bridge, and down an elevator. Then you'll come to a break in the wall, which leads to a room full of stalagmites and a bonfire

Stoze

enemies have defense against physical damage as well as elemental/magic, just like you do

You have to be precise with the Halberd, you want to make sure you're hitting enemies with the actual blade / tip. You'll do significantly less damage if you don't land your hits correctly. The same applies to other weapons too, but the Halberd is one where it makes a significant difference.

I think these are the answers to my questions. I guess regular enemies have decent magic defense then.

You're right about the Halberd, the hits weren't landing correctly.

Hiede requires faith I believe, and the fire long sword requires both INT and faith.

Neither require faith or int, but they do scale with it. Those bonuses are factored in and seen when I equip the items, so they should still be doing as much damage as they say.

Weapons scale with different stats. You can see the letter grade when you equip them. I have that Fire Longsword and a regular Longsword and the Fire Longsword has less attack but it does equal or more damage sometimes because of the added Fire damage.

Yeah I know this. I don't have a regular Longsword so I can't compare directly, but it seems like it should be doing more.

Magic resist from enemies is the answer I guess. I'll try my magic items against the next boss I run into and maybe I'll get a better comparison there.

Lastly, does bleed damage work against any enemies? Or is it mainly for PVP?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
just started the game, going for a pure tank class (high HP and strength) as my first character. I actually chose dreprived just for shits and giggles, holy fuck was it hard at first (died a fuckton in the intro area) but I just got a club, with its ridiculous scaling on STR (A without a single upgrade) just destroying enemies right now. currently on cardinal tower area, loving it. these games are just too good. also downgrade is lulz, I remember this area in the demos years ago having insane lighting. smh FROM.

Mentok

Banned
Just started today, rolling a sorcerer (I always start with that class). Loving it so far. I ran twice into
Heide's Tower of Flame and fought those giant sentinals before realizing I shouldn't be in this area lol.
Also
I beat the two giant creatures in the tutorial area and then lay in the coffin, but nothing happened...what's supposed to happen?
. I think I'll roll a Dex sorcerer.

I'm not entirely sure what area you're talking about. I don't remember an area with a statue. Where is that supposed to be?

If you're in Manjula and start heading towards Things Betwixt there's another cave you can enter. It has a dude with a blue sword sitting nearby and a statue you can hopefully interact with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom