• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

-MD-

MANvsDARKSOULS2-1920x1080.jpg

Dope drawing.

elohel

This game is kicking my ass and taking my name

I love it but I'm definitely progressing a lot slower in this game than in the others

Scher

If you're in Manjula and start heading towards Things Betwixt there's another cave you can enter. It has a dude with a blue sword sitting nearby and a statue you can hopefully interact with.

Alright, thank you very much. I realized I was getting that location mixed up with Things Betwixt and didn't go there because I thought I wasn't a different area.

Sounds like a cool wrinkle for a few times, but I can see that getting very annoying if you are having trouble finishing the area. Can you summon support to help, or is it you vs 1, 2 or 3?

It shouldn't hurt you too bad. You don't lose anything for dying so all that happens is you're taken out of your game for a few minutes.

Garcia

I also had trouble with the smelter demon so I decided to have myself summoned to help like 4-5 people beat him. Hope they appreciated it hahahha.

You're doing it right. That's what many of us have been doing. It is the only boss fight that gave me trouble and it had to do with that bug.

Just started today, rolling a sorcerer (I always start with that class). Loving it so far. I ran twice into
Heide's Tower of Flame and fought those giant sentinals before realizing I shouldn't be in this area lol.
Also
I beat the two giant creatures in the tutorial area and then lay in the coffin, but nothing happened...what's supposed to happen?
. I think I'll roll a Dex sorcerer.

I think it randomizes your appearance. My male character is suddenly a girl
I only just realized a few hours ago and that's the only strange thing I've done.

Mentok

Banned
I think it randomizes your appearance. My male character is suddenly a girl
I only just realized a few hours ago and that's the only strange thing I've done.

Now that you mention it,
I think my hair and beard are different....what a weird feature!

I have no idea where to go now.

I have 3 big souls:

Sinner, Rotten, King

Don't know where the fourth one is. Please tell me I don't have to
fight the giant rat in order to get there (not the multi-rat horde battle, but the one in the Doors of Pharos

Arveene

Neo Member
I think these are the answers to my questions. I guess regular enemies have decent magic defense then.

You're right about the Halberd, the hits weren't landing correctly.

Neither require faith or int, but they do scale with it. Those bonuses are factored in and seen when I equip the items, so they should still be doing as much damage as they say.

Yeah I know this. I don't have a regular Longsword so I can't compare directly, but it seems like it should be doing more.

Magic resist from enemies is the answer I guess. I'll try my magic items against the next boss I run into and maybe I'll get a better comparison there.

Lastly, does bleed damage work against any enemies? Or is it mainly for PVP?

Oh! One other thing to note. Lets say your normal weapon is 200, and your fire weapon is 220 total. For this example, let's just assume a 110/110 split. The normal weapon's damage is only reduced by the enemies physical defend. The fire weapon will be reduced by both physical AND fire defense. It's less the fact that they have resists, its just that the damage is being reduced twice.

Need a break.

Also need to find a better weapon than the bastard sword. Any suggestions for a quality build? Leaning towards STR though.

Currently using Large club, a +2 scales S on str. I think it's one of the best early Str weapons in the game. No swag, but does the job lol. So give it a try. Also try halberd or craftsman's hammer. That hammer has a great moveset. My str build right now got wrecked as I put points in adp instead of putting it all on str. Good thing I can respec.

I have no idea where to go now.

I have 3 big souls:

Sinner, Rotten, King

Don't know where the fourth one is. Please tell me I don't have to
fight the giant rat in order to get there (not the multi-rat horde battle, but the one in the Doors of Pharos

You're in the right area you just missed the correct path.
That giant rat fight is optional too.

MechaX

Ugh, I think Lost Bastille is my wall.

This isn't even that hard, but just so goddamn tedious.
Having to lure out these knight guys every single goddamn time I want to attempt to fight the Ruin Sentinels, which is definitely not a fun fight because it seems my character is a goddamn asthmatic that can't swing a few times without running out of stamina.

I know DkS1 got testing at times, at least then I was always motivated for that "one more time." Here, it's just "I could be doing something else more enjoyable right now." and I end up putting the game down.

So, I'm not sure if this has been posted already but it looks like FROM has stated that regaining humanity after a summon is a bug and you shouldn't be gaining humanity at all.

Source: https://twitter.com/senden_ogu/status/444345806422700032

I hope it was translated wrong :(

It's not. :( But, they should realize that it's the best addition to this game. So many people willing to co-op. Keeps things fresh.

You're in the right area you just missed the correct path.
That giant rat fight is optional too.

I thought so. Because my build just ain't ready for that shit.

MilkBeard

So, I'm not sure if this has been posted already but it looks like FROM has stated that regaining humanity after a summon is a bug and you shouldn't be gaining humanity at all.

Ha ha, looks like they'll be patching that soon. Enjoy it while you can, people.

EDIT: Personally I think they should keep this 'bug' as a feature and instead reduce the amount of souls you get for co-oping.

I just got a Mastodon Great Sword! From a spider... but I'll take it!

It has a B scaling with STR. Looks like I got a Claymore replacement. Now if only I could find more titanite shards. ;_;

Having to lure out these knight guys every single goddamn time I want to attempt to fight the Ruin Sentinels, which is definitely not a fun fight because it seems my character is a goddamn asthmatic that can't swing a few times without running out of stamina.

I know DkS1 got testing at times, at least then I was always motivated for that "one more time." Here, it's just "I could be doing something else more enjoyable right now." and I end up putting the game down.
Lure them out of that door then jump to that bridge that has dogs, barrel and sickle swinging monsters. Then climb that ladder that can be accessed by walking on a ledge. They will get separated and it's up to you to decide how to deal with them. I use bow.

There's a shortcut where you can pretty much bypass the knights.
Or this.. but DO NOT pull that lever that opens the gate filled with knights.

Gorillaz

what other bosses have you beaten

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

There's a shortcut where you can pretty much bypass the knights.

MilkBeard

You might not be leveled enough to take it, because I went through there pretty easily. I did die a few times but they didn't put up that much of a trouble for me. You might need some points in agility and also boost your endurance if you're stamina hungry. Thankfully I beat the Sentinels first try so I didn't have to do a lot of boss runs. No Man's Wharf, however, was a long trek for me and it took me several deaths before I could even reach the boss. I eventually perfected my route though and made it quicker.

Astral

There's a gate there that you can open that can be used as a shortcut to the boss. Just lure the guards outside and then haul ass to the fog.

That's interesting and unfortunate if true. I think it's a great feedback cycle to encourage multiplayer in the game.

It's not. :( But, they should realize that it's the best addition to this game. So many people willing to co-op. Keeps things fresh.

I thought so. Because my build just ain't ready for that shit.

Ha ha, looks like they'll be patching that soon. Enjoy it while you can, people.

EDIT: Personally I think they should keep this 'bug' as a feature and instead reduce the amount of souls you get for co-oping.
I would love for them to patch it so you reverse your hollowing 10% every time you fulfill a duty and at 100% you gain your full humanity back.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So, few questions:

where does
tark - the man scorpion
go after the boss fight? He isn't where he was before.

Also. how does the
rat and belfrey
covenants work? I found
2 rat bosses
which one is to join? for both if you go fight the bosses are you kicked out/unable to rank up like the darkmoons in ds1?

Finally why does
the old sinners souls
have a different icon than the other boss souls? I know
he's one of the 4 old ones but i killed the spider(freja) and her souls is the same icon as every other boss

Reule

I'm already a good amount into the game but I just now found out about this yesterday. Did anyone not get the
Handmaiden's Ladle
for finishing the tutorial area/killing those ogres in Things Betwixt? Not sure what I did wrong. I didn't kill the ogres in one go so that may have been it. Killed two and came back for the last one much later. Kind of annoying. Hope it's still possible to get in NG+.

Garcia

There are 2 shortcuts to that battle. One involves opening the door that leads to a precipice and the other consists in ignoring all the guards, go downstairs as soon as you open that door you mention, run to your left and take the ladder as fast as possible. This is the quickest way to reach the boss fight BUT you won't be able to summon anyone because of the guards cramming the corridor.

I'm confused I though you could run to fight them without fighting anyone. Just run trough the room, up the ladder and into the fog gate, Also do you have online? Co op is funny and makes stuff easy

There are 2 shortcuts to that battle. One involves opening the door that leads to a precipice and the other consists in ignoring all the guards, go downstairs as soon as you open that door you mention, run to your left and take the staircase as fast as possible. This is the quickest way to reach the boss fight BUT you won't be able to summon anyone because of the guards cramming the corridor.

If you stand right in front of the fog gate they will reset and walk away giving you time to summon.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

What?

That is really, really, really going to suck, and put a major block up to summoning.

Hope From doesn't fix it, or at least implements some replacement system.

Garcia

If you stand right in front of the fog gate they will reset and walk away giving you time to summon.

I didn't know this. Thanks for sharing the tip.

What?

That is really, really, really going to suck, and put a major block up to summoning.

Hope From doesn't fix it, or at least implements some replacement system.

I agree. Regaining humanity should be part of the fun in Co-op'ing bosses.

MilkBeard

I can't believe I missed the ring of life protection. That would have made things so much easier.

Is that the one that refills your health slowly? I've had that one permanently equipped since I got it. It's very slow, but it has been a boon in not wasting healing items unnecessarily.

Stoze

Oh! One other thing to note. Lets say your normal weapon is 200, and your fire weapon is 220 total. For this example, let's just assume a 110/110 split. The normal weapon's damage is only reduced by the enemies physical defend. The fire weapon will be reduced by both physical AND fire defense. It's less the fact that they have resists, its just that the damage is being reduced twice.

Yeah I get that, makes sense since the physical and magic damage of the weapons are about the same. I guess I just remember getting my first magic weapon in Dark Souls 1 and it kicked ass, not feeling that at all here. I'll have to get a magic weapon with a great base physical damage to see something kick ass I suppose.

Raxus

Is that the one that refills your health slowly? I've had that one permanently equipped since I got it. It's very slow, but it has been a boon in not wasting healing items unnecessarily.

No it nullifies a death and you retain your humanity. Afterwards it breaks but can be repaired for 3k souls to be used again. Pretty good if you like assistance through areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom