• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ok, I give up, I need some help.

any tips for ?

I'm playing a pure strength build. I have a built up great sword and a broadsword. I have use shield with both and stay under 70%.
Use that fruit that boosts poison resist, use life gems liberally, and once boss appears rush his ass, he should die in very few hits.

deadeye

any tips for
rat king
?

I'm playing a pure strength build. I have a built up great sword and a broadsword. I have use shield with both and stay under 70%.

One of them is not like the other.

One of the rats has like a mohawk on them. Only appears when the boss health bar appears. You just need to kill that one.

Gorillaz

You can also get some by
trading in those smooth and silky stones to the crow. It is totally random though. I traded in 10 of them and got only 2.
havn't done that yet, Ill try I guess

any tips for
rat king
?

you mean the posse?

don't lock on and herd them

once 10 are killed the "leader" will come out which istbhe spiky haired one, kill him and the rest will leave

ironcreed

Banned
You lose another item from doing that, which you gain by winning battles with cracked eye orbs.

Run out of orbs, you run out of the duel item, run out of the duel items, you run out of PvP.

Then you farm the pigs until you lose that avenue and then what?

And soul memory issue makes it so when you pvp with another person and win, you are queued higher and higher with other people close to your memory. Which makes issues in the opposite direction.

Yeah, I suppose that can definitely hamstring you at points. Glad I am mainly interested in spending most of my time running builds in single player. Invading/summoning has always just been a side activity to mess around with every now and then for me.

You can dual wield any weapons, but you'll only be able to use Power-stance with weapons of the same type.

Nope, that's basically what I meant. I can do a power stance with Falchion + Fire Longsword right now. Which is good because they're my two best weapons.

Location spoilers follow + a little bit of discussion on Dark Souls lore:

No-Man's Wharf was probably the most difficult and nervewracking section to get through yet. That being said, WOW was that boss a pushover. Definitely the easiest boss of the game so far, was able to solo it in hollow form on the first try which surprised the hell out of me. Didn't even feel like a boss, just a slightly larger enemy.

I'm in the Lost Bastille now and gotta say, it's giving me major Sen's Fortress vibes. A few of the areas seem to be structured the exact same to be reminiscent of Sen's, so I'm thinking they're related somehow. Also I acted like a major Dark Souls noob at the boss fight. I got cocky since I hadn't died in a while, decided to use an effigy and tackle the boss in human form on my first try with two helpers. I walked through the mist, immediately got hit for 3/4 of my health, then tried to roll away in a panic and rolled right off the ledge, fell and died. I'm ashamed of myself for making such a stupid mistake.

I'm really liking my build. At level 56, I've got two spells attuned one for distance (Great Soul Arrow) and one for melee (Magic Weapon). Considering I also have my bow as backup along with an ever-widening set of arrows, I really like this Dex/Int hybrid build I've created. It gives me a lot of combat options. I don't think I'm gonna need to increase my ADP to more than 12, which it what it's currently at. I'm pretty comfortable now with my roll and item use speeds. I think from this point forward I'm just going to put stuff into Dex and Int, with smatterings in Attunement to get more spell slots and occasionally Vig and End for obvious reasons.

Also question about Magic Weapon: if I have a staff in my left hand and bow in my right, can I enchant the bow with it and does it affect my arrows?

ElFly

Wish co-op wasn't bugged and that it returned you to human form after fullfilling your duty.

Also really disappointed that they brought over a ton of stuff from Demon, but didn't make you become human after defeating a boss.

Garcia

What bugs are there? The only ones I've encountered is the co-op humanity bug.

Also I still don't understand the hideous locations complaints. Even the most ugly ones are about on par with demon/dark ugly locations and the better looking locations far surpasses the best of demon/dark souls.

• Objects and enemies materializing out of thin air.
  • Flickering shadows and light sources.
  • Out of sync Sound FX.
  • Mob animations either freezing entirely or moving at lower FPS (like 5 FPS low).
  • Input lag both in the menus' and HUD screens.
  • (Rare) Input lag in the gameplay. (No player action upon button pressing). Never during my DS1 run did I ever encounter this problem. Here it's happened twice and I'm not even done with the game.
  • Player being "smelted into the wall" during a Boss fight.

And the list just keeps growing!

Currently rollin' with my ghetto bastards and stompin' mudholes in asses in the
Rat King
covenant.

Anyone know what are the rewards for the devotions? I got to the first tier at least.

LordCanti

Just finished NG:
almost 50 hours exactly.

Something like 2000 messages rated, which got really annoying as those messages covered up important subtitles for people saying stuff that I couldn't quite make out. The almost constant healing (getting a message rated gives you health) made the game kind of trifling though.

I can't wait to see some of the crazy speedruns people will do in this game. I can do Dark Souls in...mmm...maybe 3-4 hours and I know that real speedrunners are somewhere around an hour. If someone can do DS2 in an hour, I will be seriously impressed.

Some things were kind of a step back from DS (I don't like the health system for instance) but they really put together such a great game (and so much of a game) here that it is hard to complain.

Does the red soapstone use an item too?

I never used it so I don't know but I think that would reward you with cracked eye orbs.

Blood Cov. is basically like this. Either Use Red Eye Orbs or The Red Soapstone to PVP. Win, you get a Token of Spite. Which you then use in the Sparring Arena. If you win your Duels there you get a Red Eye Orb..

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
  • Objects and enemies materializing out of thin air.
  • Flickering shadows and light sources.
    [*]Out of sync Sound FX.
  • Mob animations either freezing entirely or moving at lower FPS (like 5 FPS low).
    [*]Input lag both in the menus' and HUD screens.
    [*](Rare) Input lag in the gameplay. (No player action upon button pressing). Never during my DS1 run did I ever encounter this problem. Here it's happened twice and I'm not even done with the game.
  • Player being "smelted into the wall" during a Boss fight.

And the list just keeps growing!

Hmm, I can agree with the bolded, but I can't say I've encountered the rest.

The input lag during gameplay is something I feel sometimes but I'm wasn't sure if I wasn't pressing the buttons hard enough or if my TV setup itself is introducing lag.

LordCanti

Killed the
scorpion princess
.... Is it still possible to get that item stuck on top of the log?

I'm not sure if this would work (someone else could correct me) but you can probably use a bonfire ascetic to make it NG+ and then fight her/have her knock it down. Not sure if the item is worth doing so or not because I didn't get it either.

This game is so damn good, I love it.

Got the Uchigatana finally, it's actually quite a bit better than the Blacksteel Katana and weighs less. Better R2 also.

Astral

I noticed the Emerald Herald has her own out of character "cute" animation just like the Maiden In Black did. The Maiden would sit down and wiggle her feet. The Herald looks down and softly kicks at the ground.

Mkilbride

Banned
Dark Souls II Console uses Dedicated Servers. I wonder if PC will? I know it's Steamworks, but there are plenty of P2P Steamworks games.

I really hope it's Dedi. It was sad that Dark Souls 1 PC had more players than the console versions(because of sales and whatnot), yet the ability to co-op / invade was so poor because of GFWL's broken match-making.

How many successful invades does it take to max out devotion to the Bell Tower covenant?

Because I'm enjoying the hell out of this already.

HeelPower

Royal Rat Authority Tips

The small dogs are arranged so that three on the right and one is to the far left.I was able to take out three with a bow(has to be one arrow each)

The big one jumps and attacks..Block or dodge and use this time to kill the last dog.

The key to this boss is to stay aligned and close to it.You HAVE to be aligned with him all the time as he can fuck with the camera angle/Hit boxes and some attacks can become UNBLOCKABLE(It hits your back I guess) Dont approach him a weird angle.Beware of the two swipes with its claws.Its the most dangerous attack.Strafe to your right when it stops in its place and starts tracking you. Always try to walk to his feet while aligned straight to him.I didn't see him attack with his feet at all.

when he begins the charging head attack just stand and block with a 100% shield.The hit box is massive so I don't think its a good idea to try dodging.Use his slow recovery to heal or attack.

Royal Rat Authority WARNING

At the end of the boss he can do a vomit attack that does MASSIVE damage and destroys equipment and covers a large area.Even if you manage to kill him this attack can kill you just in time so your win won't be counted.This happened to me even though I depleted his life bar and his body vanished.The attacked killed me and I had to repeat it. He doesn't do this attack up until the last bit of his health, fortunately.

LProtag

I've finally opened up all the main areas now, but only 1-3 bonfires in each location.

I kinda have no idea where I should go, haha.

Edit: Nevermind, haha.

Hey guys, I need a question about leveling answered... I notice that if you keep hitting right on the d-pad until you can't level anymore, on the last press the number next to the up-arrow icon will turn red. Why? I mean, you can still go for that last level, but I don't get why the # turns red.

Bloomers

That area....is the worst in the entire game by a mile. I got so pissed off. I'm sure you can imagine.

I eventually just cheesed it with arrows. Fuck that area.
That was my plan as well. Do you know where I can get poison arrows specifically? I'd rather not take my time with killing the mages

EDIT: you can parry spells?!!

Okay so I just finished off The
Spider boss
and already beat
Lost Sinner
. Where to next? I seemed to have another Fragrant Branch of Yore too. Any statues worth curing petrification?

Sinner's Rise was fun in coop. Boss was an asshole though lol.

Do you guys recommend heading to Bellfry or Wharf next?

Also, is there a Rusted Iron Ring equivalent in this game? Something to make traversing waist high water faster. And where can I find it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom