• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phenomic

Anyone know why NPC's might not be showing up in my town or might be having a similar problem? I just had one literally tell me she was going back to Majula and shes nowhere to be found.

I will talk to them fully and none of them seem to ever go back to Majula and it's starting to get lame. I feel like I'm missing tons of stuff. Needless to say I'm glad I'm a Knight.

Styles

Can't believe I had more trouble getting to the first boss than the actual boss fight. Beat it on my first try. Duel wielding FTW.

TWILT

Banned
Fuck, the
Lost Sinner
boss was an asshole. Took me way too many tries...

Just gonna farm some Titanite Chunks off the Bell Keeper covenant now.

To me it feels like a beta. It's bug ridden and has several hideous looking locations. I keep playing it only because the Co-op so far has been unbelievable good and addictive.

Co-op is so good. Still in the first hour of DkS1 i fought 2 sweet looking bosses and got pwned by a dragon trying to cross a bridge. This game has like none of those "OH SHIT" moments.

Garcia

Dark Souls II Console uses Dedicated Servers. I wonder if PC will? I know it's Steamworks, but there are plenty of P2P Steamworks games.

I really hope it's Dedi. It was sad that Dark Souls 1 PC had more players than the console versions(because of sales and whatnot), yet the ability to co-op / invade was so poor because of GFWL's broken match-making.

It must have dedicated servers as well, otherwise it won't be as fun as it currently is on consoles. For the last 3 hours I've spent more time helping people rather than making any progress. So good.

Eusis

So, I'm not sure if this has been posted already but it looks like FROM has stated that regaining humanity after a summon is a bug and you shouldn't be gaining humanity at all.

Source: https://twitter.com/senden_ogu/status/444345806422700032

I hope it was translated wrong :(
Hopefully they at least realize it's probably helping encourage co-op by A LOT and patch it into a proper feature, maybe a set 1/4 chance of reviving to human.

Did any of you guys try out the Dragonslayer Bow? Any good? Or should I get another Dragonslayer weapon?

I'm interested in something better than the default short bow.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well after playing longer, I def agree the lighting is super flat. Kind of odd. First for awhile I just thought I turned my TV settings brightness too high. Ohnwell makes it easier!

Really good looking game overall tho

isual

Did any of you guys try out the Dragonslayer Bow? Any good? Or should I get another Dragonslayer weapon?

I'm interested in something better than the default short bow.

that's the best bow other than using a greatbow or the blackbow for dex

GAVLAN WHEEL? GAVLAN DEAL!

Man, farming for the armors is fun.

Ironclad
Mastodon
Dragon
Allone Captain

WOW @ (near endgame spoilers)
Drangleic Castle. The atmosphere is like nothing I've seen in either Dark Souls. Can't wait to see what it looks like on PC

reminds me of castlevania, but son. That's not endgame, that's just midway. alol.

yami4ct

Just took out
The Last Giant
. Battle was way harder than I expected it to be/should have been for me. Being a Pyromancer in DS1 really spoiled me. Went with a Warrior this time, since there's no Pyro starter, and there was just no way for me to tank a single hit. Took me way too long to figure out I had to completely change my style. Took off everything except my sword, two-handed it and beat him soon after.

Completely different than how I played DS1. I was a pretty tanky pyro/knight hybrid there. Relied heavily on a nice shield, medium armor and fireballs. Not going to lie, cannot wait to get that all back. My current style is a bit too stressful for my tastes.

WOW @ (near endgame spoilers)
Drangleic Castle. The atmosphere is like nothing I've seen in either Dark Souls. Can't wait to see what it looks like on PC

Only McDuff can do that after you give me the Dull Ember. He's in The Lost Bastille. The Dull Ember is a late-game item though. It's quite an adventure to get it.

Hmmmm McDuff, I explored the crap out of the Bastille but I don't think I found a McDuff. I do have a dull ember though!

dubq

So in the Forest of the Fallen Giants..
Is there any other way to get the Eagle to fly you to Lost Bastille other than killing that Pursuer that shows up? I wanted to check out the alternate route there as I think I am missing a few things by just going there via the ship at the Wharf.

cheezcake

Uh holy shit (McDuff spoiler)
I was just talking to him after getting quite a few things ugpraded from him and giving him dull ember and he gives me a titanite slab for free

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Door's Of Pharros:

Did I just waste four stones in this shit area? I guess I could have only used three (elephant comes out in a whole small enough, but what is the point of this place besides PVP for people who don't want to actually PVP?

I had a very productive run today. Beat the
Skeleton Lords
in Huntsman Copse, discovered a new poison filled area. Ran around a bit there then went exploring elsewhere. I had the branch to un-petrify things, so I cured the statue who was in front of a lever near Majula. And she's a pyro trainer!

I ventured forward and found myself in a forest where I couldn't see shit, so I ran and found some stairs and another area and bonfire.

In this new area (I forget the name but there are urns filled with dark gas everywhere) I found a scorpion lady (not a boss) and firebombed her to death. And in a nearby chest I found a dark scythe.

I need to finish the Wharf and Lost Bastille, though. I explored there a bit but kept dying, so I left. But I did get armor drops from the enemies at the Wharf. The chest is a good upgrade from my Wanderer Coat +1. And I need a katana. Still using falchions with my DEX build.

Fuck these explodey mummy things (especially in the water). It would be nice if my attacks didn't constantly whiff for no reason.

What is the best weapon I can have at this point in the game? I'm using a +2 Heides Knight Sword, but it seems like a waste upgrading it any further.

Dresden

So I turned my Heide's Knight Sword (that already has lightning damage) into a Lightning version with even more Lightning (and thus faith-scaling) damage. Kinda weird, but it turned out to be quite a buff.

why is it that my regular hammer beats out my +6 winged spear when fighting
the giants in heide tower
? I have 12 str and 20 dex so is it b/c of slash vs thrust?

SharkJAW

Fuck these explodey mummy things (especially in the water). It would be nice if my attacks didn't constantly whiff for no reason.

What is the best weapon I can have at this point in the game? I'm using a +2 Heides Knight Sword, but it seems like a waste upgrading it any further.

I used that, with my Fire Longsword, up until the Scorpio fight. At that point, I switched to the black knight halberd, then back to dual wielding, after getting the dull ember. I use the uchi and blacksteel katana and the BKH interchangeably. Dual wielding is quite viable early game, damage-wise if you ask me.

why is it that my regular hammer beats out my +6 winged spear when fighting
the giants in heide tower
? I have 12 str and 20 dex so is it b/c of slash vs thrust?

The giants are weak to strike attacks, and strong against slash. My club +2 can take them out in 3 hits but my falchion +4 takes a lot longer to kill them.

isual

Door's Of Pharros:

Did I just waste four stones in this shit area? I guess I could have only used three (elephant comes out in a whole small enough, but what is the point of this place besides PVP for people who don't want to actually PVP?

yes. yes you did

i upgraded claymore to 9 by mundane but still i see nothing useful

alol. grats. you just made the game harder for you.

I used that, with my Fire Longsword, up until the Scorpio fight. At that point, I switched to the black knight halberd, then back to dual wielding, after getting the dull ember. I use the uchi and blacksteel katana and the BKH interchangeably. Dual wielding is quite viable early game, damage-wise if you ask me.

Okay, I guess I'll stick with it for now. I am a Swordsman but I dropped dual wielding for a shield. Just couldn't see the benefit (to be fair I was probably doing it wrong).

When do I get to use Boss Souls?

The more I play this, the more something feels off about it. Maybe it's the overall level designs. A lot of them feel pretty simplistic and not as elaborate as the last games. The bosses haven't been particularly interesting, either. I'm still having fun, but I hope they bring back the A team on any sequels

okay that was what I was figuring. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting souls

It's actually a good idea to upgrade a couple of different weapon types for situations like that. I'm mainly using falchions, so I upgraded them quite a bit, but I find having a +2 club and winged spear to be useful for certain enemies/locations.

Farooq

Banned
So I turned my Heide's Knight Sword (that already has lightning damage) into a Lightning version with even more Lightning (and thus faith-scaling) damage. Kinda weird, but it turned out to be quite a buff.

What level is your faith? I read on another forum that a couple of individuals were achieving 500+ damage with a +10 lightning Heide's Sword and 50 Faith.

LordCanti

The
belltower
appears to be this games PVP meatgrinder. Getting invaded over and over. It'd be nice if it limited it to one dude instead of two, but it's been kind of fun.

The only exception is when there is huge lag and suddenly strikes from kind of far away are connecting even though they were nowhere close.

What level is your faith? I read on another forum that a couple of individuals were achieving 500+ damage with a +10 lightning Heide's Sword and 50 Faith.

That sword is super fast, right? BRB, respeccing :p

I do that with my greatsword +10 and 40 STR, but obviously that is a slow as hell weapon and it's not cutting it for endgame PVP

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, what was all that stuff I read and heard about no respawns? Everything respawns like the first game for me and I'm around 5 hours in. Was there a day one patch or something?

yami4ct

So, what was all that stuff I read and heard about no respawns? Everything respawns like the first game for me and I'm around 5 hours in. Was there a day one patch or something?

I don't think it's no respawns, but limited number of them. I've had many enemies disappear on me after 10 or so deaths. (Yes, I'm currently pretty terrible at DS2). Not sure the exact mechanics of it, or if you can bring them back, but it seems like it's certainly more difficult to farm easy mobs than it was in DS1.

Scher

After an enemy has been killed so many times, they will no longer respawn. This means you would have to reset them several times before they go extinct.

SharkJAW

Okay, I guess I'll stick with it for now. I am a Swordsman but I dropped dual wielding for a shield. Just couldn't see the benefit (to be fair I was probably doing it wrong).

When do I get to use Boss Souls?

Were you using power stance for the swords? You have to have 1.5x the required STR/DEX requirements, then hold triangle to enter power stance. L1 and L2 are the new moves added by power stance. Damage output should be enough to appease your appetite for victory. Once you get katanas in the mix, you're 1-2 shotting mobs all over. And you can use the boss souls after upgrading a weapon to +10, I believe, at McDuff. Requires Dull Ember, which you get when in
Iron Keep, which is mid-late game

Ok, how do you get un-cursed? This shit is the worst.
Restore your humanity is one way.

ufo8mycat

Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea on how far I am into the game?

I have beaten the Giant in Forest of the Fallen Giants
Beaten the Pursuer
Beaten Dragonrider in Heides Tower of Flame
Beaten the pirate boss in No Mans Wharf

SharkJAW

Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea on how far I am into the game?

I have beaten the Giant in Forest of the Fallen Giants
Beaten the Pursuer
Beaten Dragonrider in Heides Tower of Flame
Beaten the pirate boss in No Mans Wharf

Around 15% done with the game.

Farooq

Banned
That sword is super fast, right? BRB, respeccing :p

I do that with my greatsword +10 and 40 STR, but obviously that is a slow as hell weapon and it's not cutting it for endgame PVP

Confirmation would be great. At this point it is just hearsay, and I am only early-mid game with my character to confirm it myself.

High damage, plus the buffs that Faith receives would be amazing.

Got to Smelter Demon but my controller died, didn't seem too bad, then I went back with a charged controller and found out he is that bad. I decided to skip him, this game has gotten to the point of being a chore for me and I just want to finish it. This isn't a fun, natural challenge, this is them trying to live up to the stupid difficulty hype of the series in some very cheap ways. And this is from someone who would put Demon's Souls in their top 5 games any day.

Got to the lava arch demon, he seemed like a jobber but I stepped in a puddle of lava that was barely bigger than me, but it was actually a bottomless pit of lava that was barely bigger than me... I'll get him tomorrow.

Astral

Got to Smelter Demon but my controller died, didn't seem too bad, then I went back with a charged controller and found out he is that bad. I decided to skip him, this game has gotten to the point of being a chore for me and I just want to finish it. This isn't a fun, natural challenge, this is them trying to live up to the stupid difficulty hype of the series in some very cheap ways. And this is from someone who would put Demon's Souls in their top 5 games any day.

Got to the lava arch demon, he seemed like a jobber but I stepped in a puddle of lava that was barely bigger than me, but it was actually a bottomless pit of lava that was barely bigger than me... I'll get him tomorrow.

I don't know man, Smelter's pretty fair. Tough, but fair. You really gotta learn his attack patterns and which attacks leave him most vulnerable.

Had my first experience with invasion tonight before going to bed. Location spoiler:
Just reached Belfry Luna and found the Bell Covenant. Upon entering it I decided to go ahead and give it a whirl and test it out, since I was going to bed anyway. First time I get summoned the host dies right as I load into the world so nothing happened. The second time I went up against the host and a phantom, both wielding big ass greatswords. I kicked their ass, killing both of them with my dual-wielding fire sword/magic falchion without getting hit once.

Satisfied with my invasion, I took off the ring in hopes to just go to bed, but I was immediately invaded by two grey phantoms, and that didn't go well for me at all. I got owned hardcore because of some lag which allowed the dude to get a cheap backstab on me that he shouldn't have, and then I died.
Gotta say so far it's more fun being the invader than invadee!

So I just get this giant message about me being summoned as a gray spirit and then I appear in the same room I was in, but it's blocked off. I walk around for a bit and this mouse statue turns into a dude who starts fighting me. I have no idea wtf is going on rofl

Eusis

Door's Of Pharros:

Well,
you can also join the covenant and grind for more of those stones. Which is the ideal I guess; you win there, then you start using the stones to set up the rest of the place. On the plus side at least you're prepared in advance I guess. Unless they reset then that's kind of lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom