• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
Ya I was getting it today too.

The worst part is when you play the whole game without a shield and basically every attack has to be dodged or else you're screwed. It's also embarrassing online when you go in dual-wielding and die right away because it looks like you didn't dodge haha

Scher

Anyone else sometimes feel like their dodge roll didn't register? Like the game is missing your input or there is a delay or something? I'm not talking about adaptability either. I mean when you know for sure that you weren't dodging any differently than usual but for no reason your guy just stands there and gets wrecked instead of doing the perfectly timed roll.

I had that happen once on
Looking Glass Knight
, which really annoyed me since I was pretty close to succeeding on that attempt. Saw the extremely obvious tell of a lightning bolt about to hit me, hit the circle button, and my character just stood there and took it.

Ferrio

Banned
The worst part is when you play the whole game without a shield and basically every attack has to be dodged or else you're screwed. It's also embarrassing online when you go in dual-wielding and die right away because it looks like you didn't dodge haha

Tell me about it, I'm duel wielding whips!

So have people found a way to have infinite invades? Cause I only got two of those damn stones.

fedexpeon

Banned
Anyone knows where we can buy Titanite Chunk?
With invading people in the Bell towers and farming the Tar Pit monster, it isn't efficient enough timewise.
I only manage to get a +10 Claymore and GS, but all my armors are only +7 right now and need 20 chunks more to finish up to be ready(over-prepare) for NG+.

Soriku

Around 15% done with the game.

Damn...really? I did about as much, only just most of Lost Bastille and Sinner's Rise too. I'm like 15-16 hours in. At this rate it might take me like 80 hours to beat the game (I'm not complaining though).

At Sinner's Rise I beat the boss after two tries. Summoned two white phantoms each time, and both times they died lol. In the second try, once the last guy died, I finished the boss in two more hits.

popyea

I really want to hang out in this thread but I'm too sensitive about spoilers :(

Just wanted to say that I just soloed the second(?) boss, and it was amazing. The whole game is just blowing me away. The level design is killer.

I've got a few things I need help with. Well, one thing I need help with, and a question.

1) I'm trying to get to H
untsman's Copse
, and I know I need
Licia
to move the rotating thingamajigger in Majula. But I go down there, and she isn't there. She's still in the Tower in Heide's Tower of Flame. Do I have to do something to get her to move on? I don't think I've bought anything from her yet if that makes a difference.

2) When you go to level up, if you push right on the d-pad to level as many times as possible, the final time will make the number next to the up-arrow icon on your stat tables turn red. Why?

3) I'm skipping the
Bell Gargoyles
for now, because fuck those guys. Srsly.

Ferrio

Banned
I've got a few things I need help with. Well, one thing I need help with, and a question.

untsman's Copse
, and I know I need
Licia
to move the rotating thingamajigger in Majula. But I go down there, and she isn't there. She's still in the Tower in Heide's Tower of Flame. Do I have to do something to get her to move on? I don't think I've bought anything from her yet if that makes a difference.

You need to "talk" to her until she stops saying new things.

2) When you go to level up, if you push right on the d-pad to level as many times as possible, the final time will make the number next to the up-arrow icon on your stat tables turn red. Why?

You can't afford the next level.

Dresden

untsman's Copse
, and I know I need
Licia

You just have to talk to her until she mentions that it's time to move on out of there.

Scher

untsman's Copse
, and I know I need
Licia

3) I'm skipping the
Bell Gargoyles
for now, because fuck those guys. Srsly.

For the first part, select the talk option when the menu comes up and keep doing that until you exhaust all the dialogue. They will then say it's about time to get going. After that, they'll show up at the contraption.

I'm actually not sure what you mean on the second part, but I will concur on the third part. That's the worst boss of everything I've seen.

phierce

You will get more
Branches of Yore
in a new area.

She'll ask for 2000 souls in order to proceed to a new area (where you will find 2 more Branches of Yore)
2 more branches in Huntsman's? I only found 1 there. Did I miss something or are you talking elsewhere?

sixghost

Anyone know what the sorcery spell is that looks like a Souls-version of Diablo 2's frozen orb? Looked so damn cool when another summon used it.
Soul Vortex, I think. Too bad the spell has a super long cast time and kind of sucks except in very specific situations. I also just found a spell with 64 INT req, which is fucking insane.
Has anyone found the Great Scythe in this game yet? I know it's in the game because I've seen a loading screen description

It's a shadow of it's former self. The 2H R2 doesn't have the forward movement anymore. The 2H running attack was changed.

SharkJAW

Damn...really? I did about as much, only just most of Lost Bastille and Sinner's Rise too. I'm like 15-16 hours in. At this rate it might take me like 80 hours to beat the game (I'm not complaining though).

At Sinner's Rise I beat the boss after two tries. Summoned two white phantoms each time, and both times they died lol. In the second try, once the last guy died, I finished the boss in two more hits.

Yup. Sinner's Rise leads to one of four major bosses. After defeating all 4, that leads to a new set of areas that leads to the final boss.

Also, just beat (major boss spoiler)
Old Iron King
. 100x easier than the boss before him.

Vizzeh

Banned
Been checking out a few dark souls lets plays out of curiosity, the animations are fantastic, the detail in the math multipliers + depth of the character is staggering. Dont know what the fuss is about, this looks great.

Im still holding out for a PS4 version, but would be lying if I said I wasnt "tempted" by a ps3 version.

Mupod

I'm really bummed out by the fact poise doesn't function at all in pvp. So depressing winding up a greatclub slam only to get stunlocked from full to dead by a tiny dex weapon, when I'm wearing heavy armor with ~120 poise. I can't even poise through a single hit of anything at all in PVP, but I power through mob attacks like they are nothing.

I'm not about to respec though. Strength/faith is handling PVE just fine, and an invader taught me that emit force is complete bullshit in PVP. So after dying to that guy I went and got like 30 kills in the bell tower. Thanks, random invader.

Also, apparently the information about pyromancy and hexes from pre-release was totally wrong. The pyro glove can be upgraded just like in dark souls but fire damage still scales your damage. Fire also scales more heavily with faith than int - I have 4 int and 45 faith, but my fire damage modifier is almost as high as my lightning. Likewise, my dark modifier is very low.

Grinchy

Banned
Should I upgrade my falchions or should I hold onto my shards for some katanas later in the game? I just have the 2 falchions at +2 and then 2 rapiers at +2.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Started this yesterday.

First impressions:

Graphics in Bitwixt were appalling. Graphics in Majula were amazing. Graphics in The Forest were appalling.

Controls are taking getting used to, but the rest of the addictive Souls gameplay is still there.

Prototype

Royal Rat Authority is the biggest asshole in this game. As a melee only player its nearly impossible.

I just beat this about 15 mins ago. I died about 25 times and gave up, came back and gave up again and finally won. hint that helped me:
you've got to kill all the little rats before taking on the big one or they will pester you and give you toxic. either pick them off with arrows or have them bunch up and 1hit kill the whole bunch, once the fight is 1v1 it's much easier. Block the charge attack and stay under him. He's actually really squishy and each swing should be pealing off chucks of his health bar
hope that helps. In total i must have done this fight about 50 or so times. edit: i'm melee only as well, did this with an ultra great sword.

SharkJAW

Royal Rat Authority is the biggest asshole in this game. As a melee only player its nearly impossible.
It's just a matter of knowing when to back up. Get a couple hits in when he's sweeping with his paws. Back up afterwards because he's going to do a head sweep attack. The space will give you time to react. Mind you, I dual wielded the heide's knight sword and fire long sword, each at about +4 and was able to kill the small rats with one hit.

Facism

Frustrating trying to help people with the Sentinels. Either the host has no patience or is just straight up lacking in game sense.

Anyone know where i can get a better staff catalyst? I've just passed throgh No Man's Lt. Worf and am at the bastille pondering if my lv 45 STR/INT build can manage it alone.

Also, i'm fucking swimming in Human Effigies. 19 of the suckers.

Mupod

So what SL have you decided to stay on? Not that it matters, trying to reach a consensus.

SL doesn't mean anything anymore. The game tracks all your acquired souls and does some crazy matchmaking algorithms based on that.

I've done a TON of boss co-op and I still get summons for PVE and PVP, so it seems to work fine but it's troubling to think about the ramifications it'll have in the future.

HeelPower

Hope this helps.
Royal Rat Authority Tips

The small dogs are arranged so that three on the right and one is to the far left.I was able to take out three with a bow(has to be one arrow each)

The big one jumps and attacks..Block or dodge and use this time to kill the last dog.

The key to this boss is to stay aligned and close to it.You HAVE to be aligned with him all the time as he can fuck with the camera angle/Hit boxes and some attacks can become UNBLOCKABLE(It hits your back I guess) Dont approach him a weird angle.Beware of the two swipes with its claws.Its the most dangerous attack.Strafe to your right when it stops in its place and starts tracking you. Always try to walk to his feet(under him) while aligned straight to him.I didn't see him attack with his feet at all.

when he begins the charging head attack just stand and block with a 100% shield.The hit box is massive so I don't think its a good idea to try dodging.Use his slow recovery to heal or attack.

Royal Rat Authority WARNING

At the end of the boss he can do a vomit attack that does MASSIVE damage and destroys equipment and covers a large area.Even if you manage to kill him this attack can kill you just in time so your win won't be counted.This happened to me even though I depleted his life bar and his body vanished.The attacked killed me and I had to repeat it. He doesn't do this attack up until the last bit of his health, fortunately.

Raitaro

Alright, first (tentative) impressions time after playing around in the opening area for a short while.

I will probably go through all of the previous pages to see how many others here have had the same impression, but for now it seems I might be one of the few people pointing this out:

This game feels oddly worse than Dark Souls does when it comes to the character feeling weighty and connected to the game world floor. It's subtle, I have to admit, but for me this almost sucks the enjoyment out of the game completely.

Maybe it will just get some getting used to, but coming fresh off of a 3rd playthrough of Dark Souls 1, I can't help but notice how off the movement feels. It's like your character skids just a bit too much or something; I can't really put my finger on it just yet.

But to overreact again anyway: Why oh why did they have to take the ONE element I liked the best in Dark and Demon's Souls - the one thing that elavated these games to even higher levels for me than the combat or world design does (since those would be meaningless if character movement itself is not fully satisfying first) - and ruin it? It might be the new engine I keep hearing people mention, or the rumor that a B-team worked on it, but I don't know, it might actually just have been FROM themselves not fully realizing why character weigth and movement worked so well in the previous two games and consequently failing to implement it here (or replicate it perhaps).

I'll report back after finally having some more play time this weekend, but first impressions - because of this one single but for me fundamental thing - are quite negative. I did like the visual side of the opening area though, apart from characters / enemies looking flat / "PS2-ish" for some reason (which might be due to that lighting thing people are going on about).

Sigh...

Edit: people might start pointing out that pretty much none of the official reviews point this out, but just ask yourself: how many of those reviewers came straight from Dark Souls 1? Actually, Mark Serrels from Kotaku Australia did comment on it in his diary series:

"General movement is the issue that concerns me most. In Dark Souls your character feels heavy, completely and permanently attached to the world he/she exists in. In Dark Souls — even at your lightest, no armour, nought but a scabby loincloth – you plod. You don’t walk, you plod. The feeling, that weight, is a little off in Dark Souls II. I feel like I’m skidding. I feel a bit disconnected. I hope it’s a feeling I can get past."

Gator86

So I just beat
the old iron king and got through the first area of the gutter. I hate pointlessly dark levels. How much is left after this?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Someone help me with black gulch. I try to be a good boy and destroy all the statues but once i get to the worms it all goes to hell. Surely there is another way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom