• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJRB

Gold Member
Jup, out of nowhere there are spoilers everywhere. Be wary of Twitch chats as well, suddenly everybody and their mom know everything about this game.

Jup, out of nowhere there are spoilers everywhere. Be wary of Twitch chats as well, suddenly everybody and their mom know everything about this game.

Pretty much NeoGAF is the only place on the Internet I trust to avoid spoilers and even then...I think I remember some users getting banned for spoiling things in some other OTs. But, the mods here are quick and the userbase as a whole has less dickweeds than your everyday, make-a-thousand-alts forums.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
i want this game inside of me in a sex way
LubeLG.gif

neoemonk

Does anyone have experience preordering from PSN? I want to know if the game would unlock at midnight in a specific time zone or if I have to wait until the store update for that day.

If it's on Grace Chen time then I'll be better off walking in to a brick and mortar after work on Tuesday.

Jobbs

Banned
Does anyone have experience preordering from PSN? I want to know if the game would unlock at midnight in a specific time zone or if I have to wait until the store update for that day.

If it's on Grace Chen time then I'll be better off walking in to a brick and mortar after work on Tuesday.

Yeah, I'd love to know this for sure, people have said it'd probably be later in the day.

Word up to Sony -- If you let me get it right at midnight, I'd double dip. I'd pay another $60 just for the chance to play it 15 or whatever hours early.

MilkBeard

Everyone keeps saying DS1 was 60 hours. I'm on hour 72 of my first playthrough and I haven't gotten any souls yet for the lordvessel. I guess I suck. :(

Naw, I don't necessarily think it's skill that makes you play faster. I've noticed that my playtimes tend to be above the average for rpgs, for whatever reason. I do tend to take my time though and explore, although I'm not the type of person who goes after platinum trophies. Everyone has a different playstyle, and though it took me longer, I wouldn't say that I found Dark Souls to be super hard or anything. My playstyle is more methodical, slower, play-it-safe especially with bosses.

Also playing without any kind of help will make the game a lot longer.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
This thread of hype/people fearful of the internet spoilers is pretty awesome. If the internet was a souls game this would be the nexus/firelink.

nynt9

Going to hit up a few local Targets after work today. Can't wait, especially with Amazon shipment date shenanigans.

Target had the game, but it's street dated. Even if you ask an employee to go and get the game for you from the back room, the register won't let you check it out saying it's street dated. Don't waste your time.

Krakn3Dfx

Beat Demons Souls Sunday, rolled into Dark Souls, around 25 hours into that. Went ahead and ordered the CE of DS2 on Amazon, hopefully it'll show up on the 11th, but it's not like I'm going to be able to play it for awhile yet anyway. Mostly just wanted the statue and cloth map, cause I'm weak when it comes to cloth maps.

Can't wait to sit the statue on my desk at work next to Cole, Max Payne and Nathan Drake.

Wohoooo!!! Back from banland just in time!!
It's been really hard staying away from any major spoilers, hope I can hold out :s

Still debating on a Knight/Swordsman startup...I wanna go Str/Dex so does it really matter?

I am about 60-70% through Dark Souls 1, first play through. I have come to the opinion that the game would be all but impossible to complete, without the aid from external resources, online guides, forums, etc. There are too many examples to list, in which there is simply no way to progress, without such aids. However, in broad strokes -- there are critical aspects of gameplay mechanics, stats / weapon scaling, path progression, applicability and usefulness of items/armor/weapons, boss enemy combat strategies, etc., ...which, in all practicality, cannot be discovered organically within the game-world. There are so many permutations and possibilities, that (IMHO) even the most expert gamer would require several hundreds (perhaps thousands) of hours of trial-by-error testing, to weigh the relative merits and advantages/disadvantages of so many statistics, attributes and properties that are often intimately interconnected and interrelated.

I seriously question if there is any GAFer that can honestly state they have completed Dark Souls without ever appealing to an external resource for answers, guidance and/or assistance. Also, bear in mind that this criteria basically eliminates all PvP online play. So, my question reduces to the following:

Could any single individual successfully complete Dark Souls (before the Earth is rendered inhabitable by the Sun evolution on the Main Sequence) given the following constraints:
-- PvE gameplay, offline-mode exclusively
-- No access or appeal, whatsoever, to external help in any form (written, oral, online, Divine inspiration, etc.). "External" defined as anything that is not part of the game's standard documentation which ships with the game, or intrinsic to the game's programming, e.g. hints, prompts and help guide.

P.S.: This is not a criticism, per se. Dark Souls happens to be one of the very best games I have ever played.
I completed Dark Souls on the PS3 without relying on any walkthroughs or guides, and never connected it to the internet. I also played through it all vanilla... without any patches. DX

Jobbs

Banned
Wohoooo!!! Back from banland just in time!!
It's been really hard staying away from any major spoilers, hope I can hold out :s

Still debating on a Knight/Swordsman startup...I wanna go Str/Dex so does it really matter?

Does it really matter in the sense of "can you do well in the game"? No, I really think it wouldn't. Does it matter in the sense of "I care a lot about three four or five (or so) stat points and it'll eat away at me"? Yes, it does.

For a str/dex non caster, bandit is the superior option by a longshot from that perspective of min max. It has the fewest points "wasted" in faith/int/attunement.

For a str focussed non caster, knight is superior.

Warrior is close behind.

Swordsman/deprived/explorer are all poor choices (again, from the perspective of min/max) for a non-casting character. Swordsman is not bad if you plan to use int at any point. If you don't, then it's a sub optimal choice.

takriel

So im from the EU and ive just ordered a day one edition at a webshop, says i will get it on the 11th like those in the US, anyone else from Europe with the day one steelbook edition ordered that can confirm that we do indeed get it 3 days before the official EU release date?

I know it aint called day one edition for nothing but I would like to be sure since it did cost a few euros extra.

I'm from Switzerland and I'd also like to order the US version of the game so that it arrives on 11th march. Which store did you order it from?

Does it really matter in the sense of "can you do well in the game"? No, I really think it wouldn't. Does it matter in the sense of "I care a lot about three four or five (or so) stat points and it'll eat away at me"? Yes, it does.

For a str/dex non caster, bandit is the superior option by a longshot from that perspective of min max. It has the fewest points "wasted" in faith/int/attunement.

For a str focussed non caster, knight is superior.

Warrior is close behind.

Swordsman/deprived/explorer are all poor choices (again, from the perspective of min/max) for a non-casting character. Swordsman is not bad if you plan to use int at any point. If you don't, then it's a sub optimal choice.

Fortunately, min/maxing isn't a huge deal for me at this point.
They both look so COOL D: (and I know I'll play them both eventually anyway)

BRKsEDU

Neo Member
Does anyone here own the game and is 30+ hours into it already?

I'm stuck and don't know what to do. I'm serious! =P

If so I'd love to get in touch and figure out what to do next!

PS: I'm not trying to show off, I'm genuinely stuck, around 30+ hours into the game.

I'm gonna go Cleric just like I did the day Dark Souls came out, and hopefully I have as memorable an experience with the build as I did then. My intent was to build a kind of "helping healer" that would support other players in multiplayer, and I guess I'll be trying for that again, but it sure as hell didn't go as planned then and I got into a lot of trouble with my faith build.

Basically I just couldn't figure out where any faith spells were! I kept pumping my faith stat, expecting to put it to good use, but nothing! I really disliked Petrus's force spell at the time since it doesn't do damage although in truth it does have its uses. I saw sunbros getting around with lightning bolts, but I didn't know how to pass the red drake or even that passing him was the way to the sunlight altar! Also I thought I had to be one of them to use any lightning bolt spell back then, and I didn't want to be orange! What a reason to skip them, lol! Had no idea where the princess guard spells were. I did get the vibe that wrath of gods could be found in tomb of giants, but I was literally in the dark when it came to finding anything there. I didn't get a lantern drop, and I had no idea about dusk or the sunlight maggot...After I beat Pinwheel I ventured into that darkness and fought the first giant and I was like "Nope! Anything but going down there!"

So there I was, with this cool looking level 55 Cleric who had 35 faith and no faith spells! He also had a lot of points in strength and resistance that were pretty much useless! Luckily the game was broken enough back then that after a lot of exploring and experimenting I was able to magyver a solution...I ended up with maxed out pyromancy and a lightning uchigatana +4 which were effective enough at the time for me to fight anyone despite my stats. And I hung out getting summoned in Anor londo and night time Anor londo, having a great time pvping dudes with backstabs and great combust. Those were the days!

Eventually I made a new build, a sorcerer, who I beat the game with, but I'll never forget all the mystery, confusion and excitement of that first time, and how I was forced to be crafty to survive with the build I had chosen. Hopefully that feeling of mystery will still be there... But with people being able to re-spec their characters mid-game and the souls community being so on top of figuring things out these days... I have a feeling it won't hang in the air very long this time! Looking forward to getting invaded by twinked out, OP dudes on release day! That sounds sarcastic but, I really am looking forward to that!

PS: I'm not trying to show off, I'm genuinely stuck, around 30+ hours into the game.

WDWDo5R.gif

fedexpeon

Banned
Must...resist...Willpower...not...strong enough!

Dammit...Clicked the spoiler thread.
However, I am even more hype for the game.
It's all good.../cry, 6 more days.

Seance

Banned

fucku

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

scarface39k9b.gif

Gorillaz

c518ac7bbec3b5061660cec0c38d785be26c0ff6de8b4d82835718bd9b199610.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom