• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brohan

I'm from Switzerland and I'd also like to order the US version of the game so that it arrives on 11th march. Which store did you order it from?

Dutch webshop called "bol.com".
Thing is that i'm not even sure if it is the US version, it just seems like a special pre order edition which has the same release day as the US version.

It's called "Dark Souls 2: Black armor edition (day one)" and it has a metal case and comes with a soundtrack.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
I'm flabbergasted by the fact that we don't even have a PC release date yet...

Bamco keeps saying it will be announced "very soon"...but that's total BS!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if I'm going to make it until Tuesday. What's everyone else doing to pass their free time until then?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I actually feel like I've caught my second wind. The wait yesterday seemed absolutely unbearable, but I'm doing o.k today.

One day at a time gentleman, one day at a time.

Orayn

welp I heard healing items are very easy to come by and are abundant and respec can be obtained easily in the early game.

Okay, everything's ruined forever. Lock the thread, we're done. gg

Or we could wait and see how those things play out in the context of the whole game instead of losing our shit before it's even out.

Foffy

Banned
welp I heard healing items are very easy to come by and are abundant and respec can be obtained easily in the early game.

Even if true, is this bad? Demon's Souls let you bank on a fuckton of healing items, as was the case of the "predecessor" series, King's Field.

Or we could wait and see how those things play out in the context of the whole game instead of losing our shit before it's even out.

Nothings going to magically change those things whether you want to accept it or not. Oh and its easy to gather Estus too.

Even if true, is this bad? Demon's Souls let you bank on a fuckton of healing items, as was the case of the "predecessor" series, King's Field.

Demons Souls = Grass
Dark Souls = estus
DS2 = estus + grass

Can you not see the problem.

AppleMIX

I'm watching someone steam it online right now. I don't think it will be a issue.

Nothings going to magically change those things whether you want to accept it or not. Oh and its easy to gather Estus too.

Demons Souls = Grass
Dark Souls = estus
DS2 = estus + grass

And both are nerfed accordingly.

Shinjica

Yep, let's hope they didnt take the easy obtaining herbs from demon and estus flusk from Dark together without proper consequences or the game will be fairly easy with both items.

No no Orayn, i'm not freaking out, we speak about what we know. When the game will come out we'll judge the entire package

The only explanation I can come up with is they want people to just pickup the console version, and then they'll announce the PC version date hoping people will double dip.

Ya know...that made me think of this in a completely different way.
I'm not worried about the healing as much as I was before.
The grass in Demon's Souls didn't make it any less satisfying.
So I doubt life gems will make this game less satisfying.

Orayn

Demons Souls = Grass
Dark Souls = estus
DS2 = estus + grass

I didn't say anything was going to magically change, I just said we shouldn't declare the entire game ruined with limited information. But go ahead and cancel your preorder anyway.

Foffy

Banned
Demons Souls = Grass
Dark Souls = estus
DS2 = estus + grass

Nope. I see only you making it out to be a problem. You could farm Humanity in Dark Souls and that was a full healing item. I think you are looking too much into the myriad of options available and assuming that they may be plentiful that it is an issue. Isn't this also why health regeneration has been significantly slowed down? It seems like an intentional counterbalance to having so many healing items; they're "slow burners" than in the previous games.

Deitus

Hah.

While I really liked the balance of Estus flasks in the first game (at least until you kindled the bonfires to 20 flasks, at which point it was basically easy mode), it is important to remember that Demon's Souls had plentiful healing items that healed you instantly, had as fast an animation as Estus Flasks, and could heal you to full health in 1 use even at max vitality. I think limiting the healing items in Dark Souls was a move for the better, so I'm skeptical about Life Gems, but it's not as if Demons Souls was a game for babies.

And unlike Demons Souls, Life Gems aren't instant. So you probably won't have to worry about PVP matches that drag on for decades as both participants slowly exhaust their supply of healing items.

JayEH

I really want to get DS2 day one but I'm already spending so much money this month. TF, MGS V, Infamous....

I may need to be a hermit when this game comes out so nothing is spoiled for me.

Demons Souls = Grass
Dark Souls = estus
DS2 = estus + grass

Lifegems (grass) don't heal instantly, they slowly recover your health. I don't think you even get an Estus Flask at the start either.

How about you wait and play the game before you hurt your neck by jerking your knee too hard.

Sylas

Very, very few of my deaths in DeS and DkS were due to running out of healing items. The vast majority of my deaths were the product of me getting in over my head or something silly happening. Thus, having a surplus of healing items won't really bother me.

Sure, there were a few moments in DkS that were made more tense because I didn't have any healing items (I didn't know at the time that humanity was a huge heal) but with the way the Souls games are set up, me running out of healing items was because I wasn't prepared for what was coming up ahead. The moment I found out Humanity was a heal? Healing was never a concern again.

I didn't say anything was going to magically change, I just said we shouldn't declare the entire game ruined with limited information. But go ahead and cancel your preorder anyway.

Where have I declared the entire game is ruined? I'm just worried, alot, but go ahead and make false accusations.

Nope. I see only you making it out to be a problem. You could farm Humanity in Dark Souls and that was a full healing item. I think you are looking too much into the myriad of options available and assuming that they may be plentiful that it is an issue. Isn't this also why health regeneration has been significantly slowed down? It seems like an intentional counterbalance to having so many healing items; they're "slow burners" than in the previous games.

If you think farming humanity is anywhere near equivalent to obtaining grass in Demons of gems in DS2 then you have no idea what your talking about.

Lifegems (grass) don't heal instantly, they slowly recover your health. I don't think you even get an Estus Flask at the start either.

How about you wait and play the game before you hurt your neck by jerking your knee too hard.

Its still pretty easy to use them in battle or run away a bit and use them. Even in bosses.

Steez

Just check my post in the spoilers thread if u wanna know. No story/boss spoilers.

ugh, wanted to see what the fuss was about considering you said no story or boss spoilers, but the first thing I saw in that thread was a gif a ridiculously huge boss and story spoiler. :/

Sylas

Where have I declared the entire game is ruined? I'm just worried, alot, but go ahead and make false accusations.

If you think farming humanity is anywhere near equivalent to obtaining grass in Demons of gems in DS2 then you have no idea what your talking about.

Except farming for Humanity in DkS could be just as easy as farming full-heal grass in DeS if you knew where to get it. So... y'know.

VoidZero

Banned

Yup. I don't mind waiting. But I wish that they would be upfront with it and announce a date already.
I still hope it comes by the end of the month

Deitus

Demons Souls = Grass
Dark Souls = estus
DS2 = estus + grass

No, I don't see the problem. Demon's Souls grass is so powerful, having Estus flasks on top of it is barely worth mentioning. The only advantage of Estus over grass is not having to farm for the former, and that really only even matters on a first playthrough.

So worst case scenario, we've taken a step backwards to Demon's Souls territory. I don't see how that ruins the game.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I feel like people complaining about the heals are forgetting something. Unless you play the game in peach mode, your ass is getting invaded a lot. That hasn't been the case in any of the previous souls games. I'm willing to bet you all played 90% of your dark souls in hollow form also.

This is not a factor for people playing the game early btw.

Foffy

Banned

My point was Humanity was a full heal item. You complain about lifegems, which heal at a very slow rate (and how much they heal depends on the gem, I suppose), yet the first game literally had an item that you could farm, and it would refill all of your health. You bemoan the plentiful little do-dads despite the fact the last game essentially had an elixir that wasn't too hard to get..

I really think you're just looking at the quantity of healing items, especially in the early game, and really moaning about it. You should really chill out with the kneejerking. And really, if you find it to be too much, limit your own use. Do an Estus-only run or something.

KarmaCow

Yea it's very annoying and it's only going to get worse in the next few weeks with people talking about the game everywhere.

Sylas

I said grass, not full heal grass. Stop moving goalposts.

Except Humanity was basically full-heal grass in DeS. They were equivalent at the end of the day. If we're talking about PVP, full-heals are the only thing that mattered. If someone let you eat 2-3 grasses they weren't going to win anyway.

There's really no need to be concerned. If you're worried about your own PvE, don't use lifegems. If you're worried about PvP, lifegems take a super long time to regen health so just... poison someone or don't back off long enough to let it take effect? I honestly don't see the worry over "ease of healing."

No, I don't see the problem. Demon's Souls grass is so powerful, having Estus flasks on top of it is barely worth mentioning. The only advantage of Estus over grass is not having to farm for the former, and that really only even matters on a first playthrough.

So worst case scenario, we've taken a step backwards to Demon's Souls territory. I don't see how that ruins the game.

In demons souls we had grass, a farmable item. Every time you died though you would be wasting it. In Dark Souls death did not waste your healing source since it refills when you die.

Now in Dark Souls you have your farmable item plus a healing source that is replenished after death. Its an extra safety net. One that is not needed.

I have bad memories of Konami and their Metal Gear Rising PC release date. They said it would be out "soon"... Six+ months later it's finally out :/

Sylas

In demons souls we had grass, a farmable item. Every time you died though you would be wasting it. In Dark Souls death did not waste your healing source since it refills when you die.

Now in Dark Souls you have your farmable item plus a healing source that is replenished after death. Its an extra safety net. One that is not needed.

To address the first point: As I said earlier, very few of my deaths involved healing in any capacity. It was either being overwhelmed or something stupid/silly happening. So I wasn't really "wasting" anything every time I died.

Says... you? We're arguing taste at this point, which is completely pointless. Feel free to be worried over something being in the game that's literally existed in the same form in the previous two games.

And to be honest, Humanity still had the whole, "If you use it and you die, you waste the resource," factor going for it if you used it as a heal (which plenty of people did). The system literally existed in the same form, just more vague, in DkS.

Randam

I watched a little bit of that stream yesterday and the guy was running around with 3 estus max and was out of life gems.

Don't know how it will be later but the beginning(afaik he already beat 3 bosses)
looked kinda though.

Walking animation still sucks btw.

KarmaCow

I never really boosted my VIT in Dark Souls so that probably changes things but pretty much everytime I died in Dark Souls I was at full health or at least had just recently lost my health. It was never a matter of not having healing items, it was not being able to use it safely.

It is pretty dumb that there is a farmable healing item and multi-use healing item but it's not like this is new to Dark Souls.

To address the first point: As I said earlier, very few of my deaths involved healing in any capacity. It was either being overwhelmed or something stupid/silly happening. So I wasn't really "wasting" anything every time I died.

Says... you? We're arguing taste at this point, which is completely pointless. Feel free to be worried over something being in the game that's literally existed in the same form in the previous two games.

Disagree entirely. Limit your healing items and the game will get a lot harder. You have to be so much more careful. Its why you see so many people kindle bonfires. It obvious helps them as it effectively cancels the mistakes they have been making prior to the boss.

My point was Humanity was a full heal item. You complain about lifegems, which heal at a very slow rate (and how much they heal depends on the gem, I suppose), yet the first game literally had an item that you could farm, and it would refill all of your health. You bemoan the plentiful little do-dads despite the fact the last game essentially had an elixir that wasn't too hard to get..

I really think you're just looking at the quantity of healing items, especially in the early game, and really moaning about it. You should really chill out with the kneejerking. And really, if you find it to be too much, limit your own use. Do an Estus-only run or something.

Well then you missed my point. Grass, as a collection of healing items ( not just full heal) was ridicoulously easy. Dozens of enemies dropped it, in large quantities, regularly and can be bought cheaply as well (unlimited stock too). Humanity is nothing like that. Gems are nothing like humanity.

I will probably limit myself to just gems and use flask when an invader comes.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
If I order something from amazon.com (dark souls 1 art book), it is prime 2 day shipping from amazon as the seller and 4 days later It still says "Not yet shipped" what is my best course of action?

Sylas

A bit more OT-worthy, I guess, but I'm so excited for this game. It's the first Souls game that's well-and-truly popular right out of the gate, I feel. I have incredibly fond memories of being the only person in my group of friends that knew about Demon's Souls existence and the only one that played that game for a long time. A few friends and I went to a midnight release for DkS thanks to it coming out alongside some other game, and this year basically everyone I know is excited for DS2.

The community should be super exciting this time around, especially with how prevalent invasions are in DS2. Pumped to play the game without any real resources the first time through.

Seance

Banned
Can i post a link to my post in the spoiler thread for those that want to only see marked spoilers? There are unmarked story/boss spoilers in the thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom