• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manus

So ive encountered
Gavlan a second time (dispelling the idea that hè is a one time thing) and he sells another ring of Giants, do they stack?

Don't buy it. A NPC gives you a ring of giants+1 for free later in the game.

Clevinger

Yeah, I think blocking is a little more dangerous this time around. Not to mention the 100 percent block shields are super heavy as well. In DS I just carried a hollow shield around for almost the whole game because 100 percent block and it was light.

I really like some of these changes they've made.

I haven't found a light, small 100% physical shield yet. Another thing that made DS1 too easy was how you could block a lot of normal enemies' attacks and they'd go into this lengthy stunned animation that left them open for attack. They got rid of that. And now it's not so easy to circle around enemies for a backstab.

K.Sabot

A couple of questions:

1. (covenant spoiler) In the
Bellkeeper Covenant
can I just wait around anywhere to be summoned in like the Forest Hunters in the first game?

2. How in the hell do I get to these two items:

Near the Crestfallen's Retreat bonfire.
Outside the Cardinal Tower bonfire.
I keep coming back to these areas and cannot find a way to get to them.

1. Tower
2. Don't bother, you'll know when you can get it.

Brohan

Another question: sometimes when people rate some of my massages something happens (character glows shortly or something) yet i have no idea what it does.

Does anybody know?

MrDaravon

Still no idea what the hell I'm doing in this game, it's just not clicking at all for me. I never played Demon Souls, and in Dark Souls I was able to dive in right off the bat with almost no issues, just ran a pure melee Dex build with the Uchigatana/Iaito the whole game with killing 90% of enemies with parries.

In this game I still can't parry to save my fucking life (I've got my ADP up to 20, it does nothing) and even if I could they totally fucked how ripostes work so I probably wouldn't bother anyway. I've died over 100 times and have only killed the first boss. I finally just grinded out several areas completely clear of enemies to level up some. The only boss I've killed is
Dragonrider
. I've encountered the boss past him as well as the other boss in the Forest (don't remember the name, but it's
the giant thing that was chained to the ground
) who straight up one-shotted me. I found the ring that allows you to
stay at 75% max HP when hallowed
which was a big help. Maybe I'm allocating my stats wrong? I started as Explorer (which was definitely a mistake early on), at Level 47 my stats are:

VGR - 16
END - 10
VIT - 10
ATN - 7
ATR - 13
DEX - 14
ADP - 20
INT - 5
FTH - 5

I'm using a Fire Longsword +3 along with a full Knight set of armor and the Silver Eagle Kite Shield. I know weight scales as far as your roll speed, but I went fully naked and if there was a speed difference I could barely tell. Since I can't parry for shit in this game even if I could it seems to be way less effective anyway, figured I might as well go medium armor (don't like or want to go full Heavy though). After clearing those other zones and leveling up I'm going to head back to
The Old Wharf
, but fully open to suggestions, I feel like maybe I'm allocating my stats wrong. I wanted to get ADP to 20 since everyone seems to say to do that.

Also I still feel like an idiot for never having touched multiplayer in the last game or this one. Still seems confusing as fuck once I start looking into it and getting into all the convenant stuff. Have a feeling it's more to my detriment in this one than the last game.

is there some type of limit for the sopastone? I got summoned and helped someone out for the first time, died, came back, then it was greyed out and I couldnt use it anymore. is there a time limit or something? I tried a bunch of different areas but it wouldn't let me place the large or small anywhere again.

KZObsessed

Just received my copy from Amazon UK (Black Armor Edition)

This was included in the package (didn't know it came with it)

KyhtdGgl.jpg

Is that aluminium ltd. edition plaque something that's provided with every Black Armor Edition? I can't imagine there are only 2500 BA Editions produced.....

It was a nice surprise for me too. I got 0028 out of 2,500 but mine is landscape. Picture on the back is a chariot guy with a mace.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Still no idea what the hell I'm doing in this game, it's just not clicking at all for me. I never played Demon Souls, and in Dark Souls I was able to dive in right off the bat with almost no issues, just ran a pure melee Dex build with the Uchigatana/Iaito the whole game with killing 90% of enemies with parries.

In this game I still can't parry to save my fucking life (I've got my ADP up to 20, it does nothing) and even if I could they totally fucked how ripostes work so I probably wouldn't bother anyway. I've died over 100 times and have only killed the first boss. I finally just grinded out several areas completely clear of enemies to level up some. The only boss I've killed is
Dragonrider
. I've encountered the boss past him as well as the other boss in the Forest (don't remember the name, but it's
which was a big help. Maybe I'm allocating my stats wrong? I started as Explorer (which was definitely a mistake early on), at Level 47 my stats are:

I feel like if you're letting that boss one shot you, then you're not dodging enough, because that boss was such a pushover with even some basic knowledge in dodging. Beat him in one go.

Clevinger

is there some type of limit for the sopastone? I got summoned and helped someone out for the first time, died, came back, then it was greyed out and I couldnt use it anymore. is there a time limit or something? I tried a bunch of different areas but it wouldn't let me place the large or small anywhere again.

No. It sounds like a bug. Unless you joined that Champion covenant. That disables co-op. Try restarting the game, or try it later.

Soriku

Dragonrider

VGR - 16
END - 10
VIT - 10
ATN - 7
ATR - 13
DEX - 14
ADP - 20
INT - 5
FTH - 5

I'm using a Fire Longsword +3 along with a full Knight set of armor and the Silver Eagle Kite Shield. I know weight scales as far as your roll speed, but I went fully naked and if there was a speed difference I could barely tell. Since I can't parry for shit in this game even if I could it seems to be way less effective anyway, figured I might as well go medium armor (don't like or want to go full Heavy though). After clearing those other zones and leveling up I'm going to head back to
The Old Wharf
, but fully open to suggestions, I feel like maybe I'm allocating my stats wrong. I wanted to get ADP to 20 since everyone seems to say to do that.

Also I still feel like an idiot for never having touched multiplayer in the last game or this one. Still seems confusing as fuck once I start looking into it and getting into all the convenant stuff. Have a feeling it's more to my detriment in this one than the last game.

Lower armor weight increases roll distance, not speed. I don't know what the benchmarks are for more distance, but you should at least keep weight below 70%. Personally I keep my weight under 50%.

Your stats seem OK. You should probably get endurance higher for more stamina. I'd go back to the Forest boss. He wasn't one-shotting me when I fought him, but he was able to kill me in two hits (managed to beat him first try though). I was much lower than lvl 47 then. Since you have 16 Vigor, you should be fine. Trying going between his legs sometimes to dodge since he leaves a big gap.

Covenants won't really help now like you seem to think btw.

Vitten

LONG TEXT

you can always summon help for the bosses.. the floor is littered with signs. It'll make the boss fights a lot easier. Also, get a bow or something so you can do ranged damage and soften up enemies from afar..

Not sure why you're having so much trouble, I'm cruising through the first levels with hardly any deaths though I'm playing a sorcerer and I'm not afraid to summon help for bosses.

I haven't put a single point in ADP yet, I think it's only usefull for later levels.

derwalde

lets talk weapons.

rapier: well its a rapier. A dex scaling and a parry as the r2 attack. no swing at all.
ricards rapier: another rapier. this time with S dex scaling and i the same r2 as in DS1. its at +8 atm and with 40 dex it feels a little bit underwhelming tbh.
zweihander: feels worse than DS1 because the pancake-effect of the r2 is gone.
arced sword (sentinel soul): surprisingly, this weapon grew on me. at i first i didnt like it, but two handed its really fun. it has A dex scaling and C strentgh scaling btw. best thing is, nobody seems to run with this sword, so you feel unique ;)

recommend me some weapons.

edit: while were ad it: i havent upgraded a single piece of armor or a shield till now. any recommendations?

Soriku

you can always summon help for the bosses.. the floor is littered with signs. It'll make the boss fights a lot easier. Also, get a bow or something so you can do ranged damage and soften up enemies from afar..

Not sure why you're having so much trouble, I'm cruising through the first levels with hardly any deaths though I'm playing a sorcerer and I'm not afraid to summon help for bosses.

I haven't put a single point in ADP yet, I think it's only usefull for later levels.

It makes a difference when playing with melee classes :p

lets talk weapons.

rapier: well its a rapier. A dex scaling and a parry as the r2 attack. no swing at all.
ricards rapier: another rapier. this time with S dex scaling and i the same r2 as in DS1. its at +8 atm and with 40 dex it feels a little bit underwhelming tbh.
arced sword (sentinel soul): surprisingly, this weapon grew on me. at i first i didnt like it, but two handed its really fun. it has A dex scaling and C strentgh scaling btw. best thing is, nobody seems to run with this sword, so you feel unique ;)

edit: while were ad it: i havent upgraded a single piece of armor or a shield till now. any recommendations?

Falchion is nice. It has B Dex scaling IIRC.

Randam

I am pretty sure, yesterday when I helped someone I was human when I returned to my world. Even if I died.
Today I helped beating 3 bosses but are still dead..

derwalde

I am pretty sure, yesterday when I helped someone I was human when I returned to my world. Even if I died.
Today I helped beating 3 bosses but are still dead..

the last 3 hours i helped ppl beat bosses and didnt went human. i dont know if thats intended.

Hey guys,
In the Forest of the Fallen Giants,
I passed that gate that closes automatically, but died, I came back the gate was closed, how do I get back inside, if i can ?

Soriku

Btw armor seems useless in this game. No matter what you're wearing, the defense boost is minimal.

I've been hearing people on GameFAQs have been getting easily staggered even with high poise too.

MrDaravon

I feel like if you're letting that boss one shot you, then you're not dodging enough, because that boss was such a pushover with even some basic knowledge in dodging. Beat him in one go.

I only tried him once, and I was much lower level and at 50% max health.

Lower armor weight increases roll distance, not speed. I don't know what the benchmarks are for more distance, but you should at least keep weight below 70%. Personally I keep my weight under 50%.

Your stats seem OK. You should probably get endurance higher for more stamina. I'd go back to the Forest boss. He wasn't one-shotting me when I fought him, but he was able to kill me in two hits (managed to beat him first try though). I was much lower than lvl 47 then. Since you have 16 Vigor, you should be fine. Trying going between his legs sometimes to dodge since he leaves a big gap.

Covenants won't really help now like you seem to think btw.

Yeah, once I'm done messing around with where I'm at right now I'll go back and give him another go. On the covenant thing I'm just referring to people talking about using that to get souls and practice bosses and whatnot.

No idea. I cruised through the first game, except for two specific parts (Bed of Chaos and the Crystal Cave) I almost found it laughably easy with the way people talked it up.

Also this morning is the first time I've been on where online was actually working, so the summoning thing hasn't really been an option.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
fuck this
smelter
demon... FUCK HIM!
Hit my second wall with this one. First wall was Pursuer, then I kicked every boss's ass on first or second try, until this fucker. Gah. Can't wait to retry later today (gotta work now... xD).

I noticed I had a shield that has 100% fire resist and 100% physical resist, but it had 2 more str requirement than I had. so I went and got some souls and leveled up to use the shield. using that shield, and with my familiarity of what he does, the boss became pretty much easy.

the problem had been his fire melee attacks -- blocking them was giving me heavy damage, and while it's possible to dodge them, it requires good timing and inevitably I'd eventually mess up.

with the 100% fire/physical shield, though, he's a snap.
Can you give me some hint of where this shield is? Perhaps just the area name in spoiler tags? I don't think I've found it, and I'd like to find it on my own but I wouldn't mind having a place to start looking haha.

it is a little annoying when the host slips away and pops estus, maybe multiple times, just barely, and after I killed through 3 of his lifebars and he finally finishes me he makes some gesture like he "got me"...
So red invaders/summoned reds can't Estus again? Sucks.

Yup, the second blacksmith has a unlimited supply once you give him some dull ember.
Large shards, aye. But he doesn't sell normal shards. :S

AngryMoth

Wish I had figured out how to get to
huntsman's corpse
earlier, think I've done quite a bit on content out of order i think (which would explain why I found it hard :p). 'm pretty overpowered for this section of the game now.

I just found Heide's Tower of flame after clearing a lot of the "later" areas. Boy, do I feel stupid now. I was hoplessly overleveled which made the bosses cakewalk.

Blowing up the old Dragonslayer with the old sun ring did feel a bit nice though. :D

mxgt

Banned
Any decent way to get Titanite Chunks outside of bell covenant? I prefer being a sunbro and don't want to switch right now.

lets talk weapons.

I take it you're running DEX? I'm working on a DEX build, currently 16 STR and 22 DEX and still trying to find a replacement for my falchions. I found a dark scythe and the moveset seems decent, but I need to play around with it more. The Foot Soldier Sword has stabs for its one hand R2, but range feels shorter than the long sword or BSS from DS. You could try the Estoc; R1 is a stab, R2 is a swing. It feels fast but has bad scaling (at least unupgraded). Have you found any katana yet? I haven't but I hope they have similar movesets to their previous versions.

If you're looking for decent, non heavy armor, the enemies at the Wharf drop their chest pieces and I found them to be pretty decent. Weighs 5.1 units and at 80 Physical Defense at +2 (I'm on my phone at the moment so I might be wrong about the weight). I've only beaten 5 bosses and haven't found anything else so far. I also have Prisoner's Tatters, which has poor defense (base physical defense is 22) but has a similar item find boost as the explorer's beret. If I'm going through an area I sometimes out that on along with Drangleic legs and gloves.

Any decent way to get Titanite Chunks outside of bell covenant? I prefer being a sunbro and don't want to switch right now.

The Gwyrm in the
Doors of Pharros
area drop them iirc. Seemed to be at a pretty low rate though even with the explorer hat.

embalm

I don't think that will help because the game switches to offline mode on it's own after 1~2 minutes of playing but I stay connected to the PSN. I also tried other games and they seem to work just fine :(
I've been having some problems as well. Pretty annoying. Changing my DNS seemed to help, but no idea what the real problem is.

Hey guys,
In the Forest of the Fallen Giants,
I passed that gate that closes automatically, but died, I came back the gate was closed, how do I get back inside, if i can ?

There's a ladder on the other side of the wall you can climb up and use to drop down back into the area.

I'm near the end of the game and just received the
Giant's Kinship
, where do I take it to exactly?

Also, is there a reason to go to all the
memory trees
? I'm getting kind of burned out so I'd like to find the final boss soon.

derwalde

I take it you're running DEX? I'm working on a DEX build, currently 16 STR and 22 DEX and still trying to find a replacement for my falchions. I found a dark scythe and the moveset seems decent, but I need to play around with it more. The Foot Soldier Sword has stabs for its one hand R2, but range feels shorter than the long sword or BSS from DS. You could try the Estoc; R1 is a stab, R2 is a swing. It feels fast but has bad scaling (at least unupgraded). Have you found any katana yet? I haven't but I hope they have similar movesets to their previous versions.

If you're looking for decent, non heavy armor, the enemies at the Wharf drop their chest pieces and I found them to be pretty decent. Weighs 5.1 units and at 80 Physical Defense at +2 (I'm on my phone at the moment so I might be wrong about the weight). I've only beaten 5 bosses and haven't found anything else so far. I also have Prisoner's Tatters, which has poor defense (base physical defense is 22) but has a similar item find boost as the explorer's beret. If I'm going through an area I sometimes out that on along with Drangleic legs and gloves.

DEX/Quality build. i tried the estoc, but the scaling drew me away. i have the one katana you can buy from the second smith. i have only tried it for a few minutes, but it seems that the moveset is the same as in DS1 (dont quote me on that though).

the dwarf armor is decent, but it looks like ass. must keep that fancy look ;)

Bedlam

Seems like I'm having problems with the online mode. Coop works like a charm but I seem to be unable to invade other worlds. Red and blue orbs are always inactive and I haven't been summoned by a covenent either yet despite wearing the respective ring all the time. Do I need to free up some ports for my PS3 or something? Any help would be appreciated.

Vitten

It makes a difference when playing with melee classes :p

Well I'm also doing a lot melee with the Fire Longsword and haven't had any problem with the standard 8 ADP. Doesn't feel that slow to me and I've been able to dodge and roll away just fine. But I'm still at early game, read that later bosses are much faster.

Audioboxer

GAF is it possible to make this jump or is this treasure accessed some other way? It's at the start of the Forrest.

ds2jump.jpg

In the interest of spoilers please don't tell me what the treasure is/if it's even worth it ;)

Also in the room behind where I am I got the
heide knight sword
, is it true it scales with faith as well due to lightning? The only stat req are str/dex.

Cheers!

Seems like I'm having problems with the online mode. Coop works like a charm but I seem to be unable to invade other worlds. Red and blue orbs are always inactive and I haven't been summoned by a covenent either yet despite wearing the respective ring all the time. Do I need to free up some ports for my PS3 or something? Any help would be appreciated.

Haven't had any problems. With the Bell covenant for example it often happens that I get out of the loading screen from an invasion and see I'm being summoned again already.
The only covenant ring that doesn't seem to be doing anything for me atm is the blue sentinels Ring but that might be because people are hardly invading or something.(I've only been invaded by a red two times and it was the same guy both times.)

Maybe you're hollow? You need to be in human form to use the orbs.

Kensuke

I'm using dual Dark Steel Katana's right now. The knights in Iron Keep drop them. They have S dex scaling after upgrading once. In they long run they deal more damage than an Uchigatana Requires 14 Srt and 25 dex. They are quite weighty though, 8 each.

The only problem is that they aren't much better (if at all) than dual Falchions. The bleed on those things in incredible.

Soriku

GAF is it possible to make this jump or is this treasure accessed some other way? It's at the start of the Forrest.

ds2jump.jpg

In the interest of spoilers please don't tell me what the treasure is/if it's even worth it ;)

Also in the room behind where I am I got the
heide knight sword
, is it true it scales with faith as well due to lightning? The only stat req are str/dex.

Cheers!

-Take armor off.
-Set jump to L3 (on PS3) so you don't screw up the timing.

Then jump.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I think enemies disappearing is my new favorite thing about Dark Souls 2 besides cleaning up the inventory/menus.

In Demon/Dark soul's 1, when I lost souls I thought "ugh that sucks, but no big deal just have to grind to make up for it I guess".

Now? I actually feel like I lost something of value.

Also it helped me immensely in beating one boss I had issues with. The enemies before said boss kept making me waste my flasks, leaving me using shitty/precious life gems at the boss. Eventually said fuck it and just repeatedly cleaned them out to get me a clean run to the boss. Leaving me free to just work on the boss. Loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom